Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Windows 8 - Deeper Impressions

• Please log in to reply
6151 replies to this topic

NoelC

NoelC

Software Engineer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,325 posts
  • Joined 08-April 13

I have heard, from an old Digital Equipment Corporation acquaintance, that someone, somewhere is resurrecting VMS (the OS that used to run on Vax computers).

As you may know, the architecture for Windows NT was derived from VMS, which in turn was derived from earlier DEC operating systems.  Digital had its technical head screwed on straight.  It's a shame they fell by the wayside.

Re-developing VMS could actually lead to good things.  But again, they'll have to create a subsystem for running Windows applications pretty seamlessly.  The chance of that working well is greater than, say WINE, due to the underlying architectural similarities.

By the way, to this day I use a Digital LK250 keyboard.  The one I'm typing on right now is literally 30 years old,  and as wonderful to use as it was the day it was built.  No "Win" key and I rather like that.  :)

DigitalLK250Keyboard.jpg

I only mention this to prove that some things done in the past were actually good, and haven't been improved on yet.

-Noel

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,660 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

I only mention this to prove that some things done in the past were actually good, and haven't been improved on yet.

Sure :yes:, guess WHY exactly the IBM M keyboard has so many fans? :unsure:
JFYI:
http://www.msfn.org/...ari-xl-feeling/
http://www.msfn.org/...8238-keyboards/
...clickity, clickity click...

jaclaz

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users