Windows 8 - Deeper Impressions

JorgeA

Having a master control list for Flash supported websites kills it for me. I won't even bother with this. I can think of many places I end up going that uses Flash that I doubt would ever show up on that list. I'll stick with Mozilla or Chrome.

As I (positively) understood, the white list is only about allowing certain features.

I imagine that normal flash use with unintrusive games and videos will still work on every websites.

That only unsafe features will be disabled, save for websites on the white list.

It would be a suicide to totaly disable flash on every website save a few ones.

...But wait... Isn't MS commiting suicide already by covering the desktop with Metro? :dazed:

It would be a suicide to totaly disable flash on every website save a few ones.

...But wait... Isn't MS commiting suicide already by covering the desktop with Metro? :dazed:

I went looking for a hara-kiri image to post here, but all the ones I found were either copyrighted or fairly gruesome...

--JorgeA

I went looking for a hara-kiri image to post here, but all the ones I found were either copyrighted or fairly gruesome...

Heck, it is a VERY gruesome practice! :ph34r:

Anyway, you may have better luck looking for "seppuku", here is a (rigorously copyrighted :w00t: ) nice T-shirt design that has NO blood in it:

http://everyjoe.com/play/how-to-commit-seppuku-t-shirt/

but I guess clay is allright :unsure:

jaclaz

jaclaz,

Thanks for putting that video up. It illustrates exactly what I wanted, as a comment to what Freledingue said.

Once again, you come through with a masterful search job! :thumbup

--JorgeA

News is coming out that Microsoft is giving in to developers' clamoring for a free desktop development platform in the wake of Windows 8.

@CoffeeFiend, @MagicAndre, @jaclaz among others: What do you think? Is this a hard-earned victory; too little too late; something better/worse?

--JorgeA

An incisive review of Win8 RP. The writer shows a wry sense of humor with his dubbing of the new OS as "Window 8" (singular), in honor of Metro.

Like so many others, he likes it on a phone or tablet, but not for a desktop PC:

But, to my shock, I could imagine myself using Window 8. I’m willing to admit the possibility that I led my desktop-oriented outlook affect my judgment the first time around, so that I didn’t see the benefits it would offer certain users. So I will actually deploy a quasi-mea culpa here and say I can even imagine myself buying a Window 8 device…

If it’s a tablet or a smartphone.

Unfortunately, Metro remains appalling and useless on any other kind of computer. Switch from your finger to a mouse and the intuitive, relatively natural nature of the interface evaporates.

And he provides an excellent retort to those who argue that it's not such a big deal to boot into Metro and then click to reach the Desktop:

It’s not so much a matter of the half-second inconvenience as it is a tacit disapproval [of] Microsoft requiring me to look at and deal with a user interface that is antithetical and detrimental to how and why I use computers. It’s the principle of the thing that bothers me now, and always has: Microsoft wants to own the tablet and phone market and is perfectly happy screwing over me, and millions of other users, to make it happen.

He goes on to report his revived interest in Linux in light of what Microsoft is doing to Windows, while reiterating that it's a fine OS for mobile devices. The author's bottom line echoes what Fredledlingue said a few posts up:

from where I sit, it seems like they’re still on a self-destruct mission, unaware of (or, worse, indifferent to) the vast potential damage they’re about to inflict on their user base — and themselves.

--JorgeA

Didn't see this posted yet. An article (a blog-like comment but without replies) ...

http://forums.theregister.co.uk/post/1430387

From someone identified as mdc claiming to be the responsible developer of the Longhorn UI. Very interesting propaganda piece really. I'll excerpt a bit of his/her rationalization in favor of the Win8 debacle ...

"The aim of the design is exactly the same as Aero was - to take the chrome away from the content, and allow the user to focus on what they're doing rather than unnecessary clutter. A perfect example of this is internet Explorer on Metro; in its default state, all you see is a webpage; chrome CAN be pulled up if the user requires, but is otherwise absent. The majority of Metro applications are like this - in fact it's part of the Metro UX specifications.

This has always been the way that computing has been going; customisation features have subtly been taken out of each successive version of Windows, as users have - on the whole - moved on from eye candy and instead focus on productivity. This isn't specific to the software sector; even social networking has experienced this shift - from the cluttered, flashing, marquee-laden MySpace profiles of 2003 to the clean, customization-free Facebook profiles of today.

Personally, I see Metro as a good thing; it allows me to do my work without distraction, and I'm just disappointed that I wasn't the one who did the design work for it this time around."

So you see, we the people really needed Microsoft to boost our productivity because we were distracted by eye candy.! rotflmao.gif

As mentioned, this seems to be a locked post at TheRegister, no comments allowed. The fact that he doesn't sign the post makes it suspicious. But I do believe that patronizing arrogance as being true. They really couldn't be more tone deaf if they tried.

EDIT: okay, I see that this comment was in a thread called Windows 8: We kick the tyres on Redmond's new tablet wheels at TheRegister. The user called mdc has two comments there presently. I see that some comments have gotten deleted and I bet that these will too if he is official Microsoft. I saved a full copy. If the moderators would like, I can post them in full. Up to you folks.

Edited by CharlotteTheHarlot

The implication is that mdc is no longer with MS since he says:

...I've since moved into a different field entirely (photography) and therefore no longer have any input into the design process...

so I don't think the post will be deleted. It was an interesting point of view. If the mods don't object, and I don't see why they would, it might interest others to read mdc's posts here. However, they don't change my opinion of Metro, or Win8 in general.

Cheers and Regards

This has always been the way that computing has been going; customisation features have subtly been taken out of each successive version of Windows, as users have - on the whole - moved on from eye candy and instead focus on productivity. This isn't specific to the software sector; even social networking has experienced this shift - from the cluttered, flashing, marquee-laden MySpace profiles of 2003 to the clean, customization-free Facebook profiles of today.

What a load of bull! I wonder if "mdc" can explain how it makes me MORE productive to have to click or swipe for every item of information relevant to my work or browsing, instead of simply having it visible. Or to have to click something in order then to bring up a menu, so that finally I can get to the command I need. And speaking of clutter: no, I don't clutter my mind with arcane keystroke combinations involving the Windows key. It is SO MUCH easier and faster to SEE IT. I have more important things to keep track of -- such as THE WORK I'M DOING.

I've never understood this obsession with interface simplicity. Simplicity makes things harder to do! But the truth is that for a long time we have had the CHOICE as individuals whether to use a simpler or a richer interface. We've had the choice to go full-screen in Internet Explorer since version 4, at least. But now the morons experts at Microsoft have decided that CHOICE IS BAD and we must all bow to the same god of (false) simplicity.

Next thing we hear, we'll find out that this supposed Longhorn developer who's now converted to Metro is designing colored wooden blocks for adults.

@CharlotteTheHarlot: Assuming that the mods OK it, it'd be great if you would post those deleted comments!

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

...@CharlotteTheHarlot: Assuming that the mods OK it, it'd be great if you would post those deleted comments!...

The comments from mdc have not been deleted ... yet. There was just the fear that they might be.

Cheers and Regards

Yes, it's incredible that some MS poeple can talk like this.

"Metro is increasing productivity"

The most hypocrite statement so far about w8, and contrary to EVERY comments by poeple who have tested it.

Taskbar, start menu, caption and resizable windows do increase productivity. Their absence reduces productivity.

These are things we need!

"It was always felt that the desktop was a clumsy way to bring content to the user"

Here again, from all who tested W8, Metro apps disapoint by their poverty of displayed content, empty areas, redundant frames...

MS doesn't seem to understand that desktop computers and normal size laptop computers are not touch-screen devices.

And they don't seem to understand neither that one can't have the same interface on both.

"Most of poeple rarely use more than two documents at the same time"

I'd like to see the datas backing that up! Everybody I observed at their computer were using at least 4 apps at the same time. One person I know has always 20 windows on the taskbar. When I asked her, "how can you work like this, close all that you don't need!" She replied that it was her way to work and that they were all useful.

That's precisely why Vista and w7 group all instances of a same app under a single taskbar icon.

Because poeple open multiple windows all the time, and the taskbar is always full.

But that invention was already counter productive because you don't see which windows are open nor how many.

It takes more time to look for them because you can't seen their caption on the taskbar.

I hate taskbar groups for that reason. But Metro is just a gigantic taskbar group where everything is under a monstruous screen-sized icon.

Resizing windows is also one of the most important feature for productivity that was kissed goodbye in Metro.

Want to do a copy-paste, compare two photos, use a calculator next to a text editor, drag and drop files...

How can we imagine a surface area where these won't be possible?

Why do MS thinks we will like all this regression?

:wot: :devil: :?:

I am furious about the comments this "mdc" made at the Register. He's wrong and clueless about what he's talking about and he loses all credibility when he says he generally approves of Windows 8. Customization was never taken out until Windows XP which is why I continue to use that OS as a stanch opponent of dumbing down. The people who built and developed Windows have all left leaving monkeys in charge who don't know anything. Microsoft died the day Jim Allchin retired and Bill Gates left his daily responsibilities to monkey boy Ballmer. Sure there are some good folks with great technical talent still present but the marketing, management executives, program managers and user experience people are the most incompetent, clueless, arrogant morons who should be fired ASAP after Windows 8 bombs. Surely, 2 out of 3 failed Windows releases (Vista and 8) and the opposition XP still gives to Windows 7 ought to bring Gates and the top management back to their senses? :realmad:

Edited by xpclient

@CharlotteTheHarlot: Assuming that the mods OK it, it'd be great if you would post those deleted comments!

JorgeA,

The two posts (well 3 really) are still at the website. Just click on [http://forums.theregister.co.uk/user/58426/] to see them. It is a forum shortcut to that specific user's commenting history. It was just my speculation that they would end up being deleted eventually,

I was thinking of the strange case of the ex-Microsoftie working at Amazon who started talking on his blog which disappeared and then re-appeared with a password! Fixing Windows 8 Blog

For background Google ''what happened to fixing windows 8" ... Dvorak ... PC-World ... many more.

I'll bet there is a holy war going on up there in Redmond (Thurrott actually said as much). I just hope a few more of the good guys inside use the media outlets to feed the growing backlash. It really is unbelievable.

EDIT: fixed link

Edited by CharlotteTheHarlot

News is coming out that Microsoft is giving in to developers' clamoring for a free desktop development platform in the wake of Windows 8.

@CoffeeFiend, @MagicAndre, @jaclaz among others: What do you think? Is this a hard-earned victory; too little too late; something better/worse?

It shows that DevDiv actually listens to users and paying customers. Nobody wanted the old depressing everything-looks-the-same monochrome theme so they gave in on that. All-caps-everything is ridiculous, so they're adding a setting to disable it at least. It's way too soon to lose XP support, so it will come in a feature pack. Metro-only development in the express ed was a braindead move, so they brought back desktop development. Yes, we have to be pretty loud before it actually happens, but we're getting positive results on most of the big issues. If enough people complain, they do something about it. At least it's not much worse than the previous version anymore.

Unlike WinDiv which doesn't care about users or customers, nor how they use their computers. They're right and everybody else is wrong. Metro you will use, and you'll like it -- they've decided so. It doesn't matter if the interface is backwards and counterproductive. And of course they're too arrogant to give us any options. It's a lame and desperate attempt to use their desktop monopoly to sell a few tablets that's going to backfire.