Windows 8 - Deeper Impressions

JorgeA

this is done already. VS2010 can compile SSE2 (that's why Win8 requires SSE2 compatible CPU) and VS2012 adds GPU ciding : AMP C++

I guess my point wasn't all that clear. Yes, VC++ can definitely use SSE2 instructions, but I meant for .NET languages (like C#). Either ways, the general point was that there are so many improvements they could do which would be extremely useful. But instead they seemingly spent 100% of their time on screwing up the UI and on Metro garbage instead (killing XP compatibility in the process).

To further push my idea :ph34r: we could use the board word filters :w00t: for "metro".

Just like one cannot write a** or id*** or s*** :angel , everyone should have "metro" substituted by either (through a random-generator):

• quite inappropriate interface
  • remarkably inept interface
  • utterly unfit interface
  • undoubtedly infelicitous
  • etc., etc.

jaclaz

With each new build, the look of Windows 8 only gets worse and worse. A palette of pastel colors?? Gimme a break. Where are we, in the first grade??

Maybe I should buy a copy of this OS and use it late at night: it could be an effective alternative to Valium.

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

To further push my idea :ph34r: we could use the board word filters :w00t: for "metro".

Just like one cannot write a** or id*** or s*** :angel , everyone should have "metro" substituted by either (through a random-generator):

• quite inappropriate interface
  • remarkably inept interface
  • utterly unfit interface
  • undoubtedly infelicitous
  • etc., etc.

jaclaz

Intriguing idea, though it could lead to some head-scratching for readers. "There was an exhibit of Windows art at the Undoubtedly infelicitouspolitan Museum of Art..." ;)

--JorgeA

Here's a perceptive analysis of the challenges Microsoft faces in the attempt to compete with Apple's iPad.

It's not rocket science.

You can't claim on one hand to be changing the industry and changing the face of computing with this radically new OS and then play by the same old myopic simple P&L rules.

Windows RT needs to blow the iPad away at the $250 to $500 range. It needs to be stunningly fast and affordable.

There is simply no compelling reason to buy this tablet (as a consumer) otherwise.

My gut tells me with Windows 8, Microsoft won't get a second chance to make a first impression.

I'll be surprised if they adopt such a medium-term view, or if they succeed even if they do embrace some strategy like that.

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

Windows RT needs to blow the iPad away at the $250 to $500 range. It needs to be stunningly fast and affordable.

There is simply no compelling reason to buy this tablet (as a consumer) otherwise.

That's what I've been saying all along: there is no logical reason to buy one vs an iPad or Android device. The x86 tablets are all big, bulky and overly expensive and that's not going to change (even Steve Jobs said such devices sucked). ARM tablets on the other hand run none of the useful software what-used-to-be-called-Windows runs (which is the entire point of running Windows). They're effectively a Metro-only tablet and so far Metro has basically nothing to offer over the iPad or Android (unless "less apps" is your main criteria to buy one) and most likely won't beat them on price either, unless the hardware sucks comparatively (specs and/or quality). Licensing costs will probably keep prices quite inflated too.

Also, most of those ARM devices will likely be out later in the year, months after Win8 has already hit desktops. Win8 will quickly get itself a "Vista 2" reputation on desktops (it's already begun quite well I must say), and by the time most ARM tablets are out they'll end up having to rename it Mojave 2 to be able to sell any. It'll be like trying to sell brown Zunes by saying they run Vista vs a "fashionable" iPad (while also costing more and offering less).

There's only Ballmer and Sinofski who think they can actually pull this. I hope shareholders won't tolerate them much longer.

Intriguing idea, though it could lead to some head-scratching for readers. "There was an exhibit of Windows art at the Undoubtedly infelicitouspolitan Museum of Art..." ;)

--JorgeA

Naah, it doesn't work this way, you cannot write that someone is an id***, but you can allright say that he/she has taken idiotical decisions.... ;)

jaclaz

They're effectively a Metro-only tablet and so far Metro has basically nothing to offer over the iPad or Android (unless "less apps" is your main criteria to buy one)

LOL, I had to highlight that part!

Now for the full quote:

That's what I've been saying all along: there is no logical reason to buy one vs an iPad or Android device. The x86 tablets are all big, bulky and overly expensive and that's not going to change (even Steve Jobs said such devices sucked). ARM tablets on the other hand run none of the useful software what-used-to-be-called-Windows runs (which is the entire point of running Windows). They're effectively a Metro-only tablet and so far Metro has basically nothing to offer over the iPad or Android (unless "less apps" is your main criteria to buy one) and most likely won't beat them on price either, unless the hardware sucks comparatively (specs and/or quality). Licensing costs will probably keep prices quite inflated too.

Maybe Ballmer and Sinofsky are deep-cover agents from Apple, sent over to Microsoft to destroy it!

But really, it just doesn't make any sense. They're expecting the buying public to go for a device that will 1) cost more than other tablets because of the licensing structure, and 2) DO less than a real PC because it won't run regular Windows software, except for Office. :blink: What exactly is the intended audience?

--JorgeA

With each new build, the look of Windows 8 only gets worse and worse. A palette of pastel colors?? Gimme a break. Where are we, in the first grade??

I'm not even interrested anymore about what stupidities these goofs are adding to this travesty OS.

Yet I couldn't help looking at the snapshots. ;)

Edited by Fredledingue

They're effectively a Metro-only tablet and so far Metro has basically nothing to offer over the iPad or Android (unless "less apps" is your main criteria to buy one)

LOL, I had to highlight that part!

It's true though. Just what does Metro-only tablets have to offer over their competitors? iPads have better hardware than ~100% of Metro tablets will have, they have tons of high quality apps (a huge number of apps overall too), and it'll definitely be competitive price-wise (it'll likely be cheaper than many lesser tablets). And it's not just a poor choice vs an iPad, even Android tablets are better IMO. Especially if you want something inexpensive to read some ebooks, check facebook, play some videos or music and other similar tablet-ey tasks. There's loads of half-decent Android devices at $200 or less (from Dell, Lenovo, Archos, etc).

For basically the price of the Win8 RT license, you can pick up a Archos Arnova 7 tablet for your kids which would handle basic tasks just fine (7" 800X480 screen, 1GHz CPU, 1GB RAM, 4GB of flash + MicroSD expansion slot and WiFi for $110). Or if you want to spend a little more, Lenovo has some tablets under $200 that have a 7" 1024x600 screen, 16GB of flash + a MicroSD slot -- most people would be perfectly happy with that. If you're willing to spend ~2/3 of what a win8 RT tablet will cost, there are some really nice Android devices (nice LCD, fast CPUs, lots of flash, etc) from lots of manufacturers. Win8 RT can't compete with any of it.

I'm not even interrested anymore about what stupidities these goofs are adding to this travesty OS.

Yet I couldn't help looking at the snapshots. ;)

That's the only reason left for my presence in this thread.

this is sooooooooooo ugly :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: The statement of Steve Jobs from 1996 still applies:

The only problem with Microsoft is they just have no taste. They have absolutely no taste. And I don't mean that in a small way, I mean that in a big way, in the sense that they don't think of original ideas, and they don't bring much culture into their products."