Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Windows 8 - Deeper Impressions

• Please log in to reply
6043 replies to this topic

vinifera

vinifera

<°)))><

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts
  • Joined 27-August 09

I jumped from Win98 (and FE, at that!!!) all the way to Vista

you missed quite alot :P
If you want true Windows user experience
try Longhorn builds: 3718, 4029, 4066

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

JorgeA

JorgeA

FORMAT B: /V /S

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,157 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

I jumped from Win98 (and FE, at that!!!) all the way to Vista

you missed quite alot :P

You're right. :blushing: Up until 2008 I wasn't into computers at all, except strictly as a business tool. I had just the faintest notion of what a USB port was: my Win98 box has two of them and I didn't even know it!! :o I got interested in tech again after 20 years, only when my PC went on the fritz and I had to start learning REAL FAST.

Actually, if it weren't for that old computer acting up on me (turned out it was dust inside...), there's a good chance that I'd still be tooling around the Information Superhighway in that golf cart.

--JorgeA

CharlotteTheHarlot

CharlotteTheHarlot

MSFN Master

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,054 posts
  • Joined 24-September 07
Dvorak at PC Magazine ...

Why the "One Experience" Strategy Fails ( PC Magazine 2012-10-02 )

To make such an idea work, you must find common denominators and dumb down the product. The process does not work for specialized products that were developed with a specific vision. Changing the interface changes the vision and changes the way a product works. It may even change the appeal of the product.

Microsoft has done this over the years with good products that it buys and changes. FrontPage, an advanced Web development tool that was far ahead its time, is a prime example. Eventually, Microsoft began to muck with the program to bring it in line its other concepts. In a few short years, people stopped using the thing (as it became unusable) and then Microsoft shuttered the operation. This, to me, epitomizes the problem with a one experience strategy.

Most of the commenters agree, although a few fanboys had their predictable tantrums. Waaaaaah!

Microsoft better be worried ...

ComScore: Microsoft's US mobile phone market share has dropped ( NeoWin 2012-10-03 )

Microsoft lost some market share in the US smartphone industry, according to a new report from ComScore. ... the new data, taken between June and August 2012, shows that Microsoft's smartphone share is now at 3.6 percent, a decline of 0.4 percent compared to May 2012.

But wait, there's more ... Recall this from way upthread at Post #858 ...

Tokyo Court Rules For Samsung, Says It Didn't Violate Apple Patent

http://e.nikkei.com/...831D3ZJF815.htm

I think that jury decision (the California case) is looking pretty shaky overall. It is a prime candidate for overturning because of both the Judge and the Jury. The Judge is seen as an Apple puppet, and now the Jury is coming under scrutiny.

Apple v. Samsung juror: we "wanted to send a message" ( Ars Technica 2012-08-26 )

It is interesting to read through the many comments there. I think the love affair with Apple is nearing its end (Microsoft, take note).

Well this dog still has some bite left in her ...

Samsung: Jury foreman in the Apple case lied! ( NeoWin 2012-10-03 )

Samsung Says Jury Foreman's History Marred Apple Verdict ( Tom's Hardware 2012-10-04 )

It appears that the jury foreman had some bad history with Seagate who are directly tied to Samsung, specifically he was fired and sued by them and did not disclose this direct conflict of interest. Whoa! I've seen this jury foreman interviewed and suspected he had an axe to grind. There is no way this one can be ignored. This game is going to extra innings folks. If Samsung has a clear shot at the USA phone market, and they should because lord knows we need competition, there will be strokes up in Redmond instead of celebrating ...

Microsoft employees react to Samsung vs. Apple verdict, 'Windows Phone is looking gooooood right now' ( The Verge 2012-08-24 )

Apple’s $1B patent victory vs. Samsung: A win for Microsoft? ( GeekWire 2012-08-24 )

The way I see it, measuring the success or fail of Windows 8 will come in several waves. The desktop market is the longest term, laptops a little shorter, but in the shortest timeframe are tablets and phones which will definitely be the proverbial canary in the coalmine. Any injunctions anywhere blocking Android phones are essentially clearing the playing field for iPhones and WPs ( the worst possible scenario in a world awash in horrible ideas ). Windows 8 phones need a gigantic opening with monster numbers or it is dead. And if it dies it will likely set the perception for the entire operating system. Hey Microsoft, still like putting all your eggs in one basket? That's exactly what you did here with Windows 8. Instead of placing a firewall between these new products and the existing ones, you removed all the barriers, tied them all together, ensuring a catastrophe for the company in the event that Sinofsky has miscalculated. Let's hope the board of directors is watching closely.

EDIT: added a link

Edited by CharlotteTheHarlot, 05 October 2012 - 12:54 AM.

... Let him who hath understanding reckon the Number Of The Beast ...

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,415 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04
I don't buy the "revenge against Seagate hence Samsung. :no:
I am more puzzled by the statement (page 24 of the èdf transcript here: http://www.groklaw.n...ung-1991Ex1.pdf )

LET ME ASK, IF YOU HAVE STRONG FEELINGS
OR STRONG OPINIONS ABOUT EITHER THE UNITED STATES
PATENT SYSTEM OR INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY LAWS, WOULD
YOU RAISE YOUR HAND, PLEASE?
THE RECORD SHOULD REFLECT THAT NO HANDS
HAVE BEEN RAISED.

and (page 22):

NOW, SAME FOR MR. TEPMAN, AS WELL AS TO
MR. HOGAN. YOU ALL HAVE A LOT OF EXPERIENCE, BUT
WILL YOU BE ABLE TO DECIDE THIS CASE BASED SOLELY
ON THE EVIDENCE THAT'S ADMITTED DURING THE TRIAL?
PROSPECTIVE JUROR: YES.
THE COURT: OKAY. MR. HOGAN SAYS YES.
WHAT ABOUT MR. TEPMAN?
PROSPECTIVE JUROR: I THINK SO, TOO.
THE COURT: OKAY. ALL RIGHT. THANK YOU.

Source for pdf link here:
http://www.androidpo...ned-by-samsung/

When compared with:
http://www.guardian....oreman-explains

In this country, intellectual property deserves to be protected.

Do you have a concern that this case and the verdict given could encourage further patent litigation?

Yes. I have no doubt that, number one, this case for this country is historical. It's a landmark case and, as people have said, we set the bar rather high. But as jurors we took the job seriously.

What needs to be understood by those outside that are watching this and listening to it, no matter whether we or anyone else feel personally that the patent procedure in this country or the patent system is broken or sick, we as jurors were sworn to abide by the rules and the stipulations in law as they exist today, at the time we made the decision.

And personally, do you think it is broken and sick and needs reform?

I believe we definitely need to continue the discussion. What I applaud is the fact that there is a discussion going on. Not everybody agrees with me or agrees with the decision that we made.

But that's OK. Whether I believe it is sick or broken or needs to be fixed or not, the rules are today what they are.

But if the community of engineers at large believes that it needs to be changed or re-reviewed, this court, this trial, and this set of jurors - myself included - was not the genre for that. It was not the right place.

That wasn't our authority and it wasn't what we were supposed to do.

And:
http://www.mercuryne...ct-message-that

"I was thinking about the patents, and thought, 'If this were my patent, could I defend it?' " Hogan recalled. "Once I answered that question as yes, it changed how I looked at things."

I have somehow the feeling that there was some bias :w00t: but not connected with the old Seagate issue, but rather with not being able to keep outside the decision his own "strong opinions" on the Law, how it should have been changed and how it should have been applied and with personal specific experience, and some sort of "personal revenge" against the "experts" the two parties brought to the trial.

jaclaz

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

after Windows 7 GA still Vista lover :)

• Patrons
  • 6,031 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

Microsoft's HUGE mistake that could sink its eco-system
Posted Image

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,157 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

Microsoft's HUGE mistake that could sink its eco-system

Wow, that was pretty bad. How long have they been in business in Europe? (a rhetorical question)

But don't worry, they assure the public that the abiity to change the country you're registered in, is coming REAL SOON NOW.

--JorgeA

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,415 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

But don't worry, they assure the public that the abiity to change the country you're registered in, is coming REAL SOON NOW.

Admittedly a different "branch" of MS, but (as well as a rhetorical question):
How long does it take to re-add a pre-existing feature that was senseless removed?
At least in one case TWO YEARS were not enough to "react" :w00t: :
http://www.msfn.org/...ost__p__1000166

jaclaz

CharlotteTheHarlot

CharlotteTheHarlot

MSFN Master

• 2,054 posts
  • Joined 24-September 07
Microsoft might get involved in College Textbooks ...

Barnes & Noble, Microsoft May Bring Textbooks to Win 8 ( Tom's Hardware 2012-10-04 )

Frankly I am surprised that Microsoft, Apple and Amazon haven't already exploited this. Here in the States, textbook prices is one of the biggest scams going, and piggybacking on this scam will be simple. It reminds me of the mid-1990's when many companies started to make inroads into schools, getting them all wired and outfitted with computers, naturally with constant upgrades, socking it to those of us already paying insane school district taxes. Why not pile on some more. :realmad:

I think this is hilarious ...

Microsoft, the Windows Phone 8 release is a disaster ( TechSpot 2012-10-04 )

Brad Sams is back. Yes, that would be Brad "The next person who says that Windows 8 is the next Vista deserves to be shot, twice." Sams, one of NeoWin's resident fanboys now fretting over the possible disaster-in-progress that is the Windows 8 launch. I don't know, maybe he read that other recent article at NeoWin: Microsoft's US mobile phone market share has dropped and is getting nervous. So he writes this article, described as an 'open letter' to help Microsoft, he mostly is upset at the lack of pricing information, but if he thinks announcing phones that cost $700 or more will somehow help make the forthcoming rollout smoother, he is in for more shock than awe. The funny part is that there are even more rabid fanboys than himself over there! No, for real! "Wow this article is absolutely stupid. It has not even been released yet and you're calling it a disaster? Also your points are dumb." Lol! And someone thinks that NeoWin, aka Fanboy Central is mean to Microsoft! "Welcome to Neowin. It has been like this for months, possibly years now. I don't remember so much slander towards Microsoft on this site until as of recent.". :lol: Softies in disguise no doubt. Brad, let me help you out. The problem isn't what we don't know, it's what we do know. :yes: Which brings us to ...

Possible prices for a device using Windows 8 have been sighted ...

Acer launching $800 Iconia W700 Windows 8 tablet on October 26 ( TechSpot 2012-10-04 )

Price of Acer Windows 8 Iconia W700 tablet starts at $799 ( NeoWin 2012-10-04 )

Hmmm ... Nice desktop or Laptop with i7 CPUs and gobs of RAM and massive HDD or a child's toy tablet, or maybe a yellow phone. Let me think ... Well, I just whipped up this little infographic to illustrate the big problem Microsoft and its partners are facing ...

Posted Image

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,415 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

What would you spend $700 to $800?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230240
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16834215380
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16875561020
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822510010
For a total amount of US$ 796.96 (+shipping) :whistle:

jaclaz

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,814 posts
  • Joined 28-April 06

Donator

This OS is full of headaches already now that I am active in working with it every day. I can't even imagine what the ODMs are going through! Here's some more "deeper depressions"...

- The first boot experience is a wonder of technicolor. It has some color changing fade thing that I am now certain is the reason why it takes so long to boot. It sits around for 5 minutes "installing apps" even though there is only 1 "app" installed. I honestly have no idea what it is doing here as I wait for my squares to show up.

- .Net Framework 3.5 is not available in the OS, and the only way it seems you can get it is to be connected to the internet. So any programs that require it won't run and a box comes up saying it needs it. Maybe if you are lucky, the developer has made an updated version that does't need it. So far I am 1 for 1 with this scenario, which seems way too rosy to me.

- The Start Menu functionality still technically exists in the OS, which is strange since it isn't supposed to be there anymore right? For example, the OS will still run whatever is in the Startup folder after Explorer.exe launches. Since the ModernUI comes up right away, if that program is supposed to interact with the user, they won't ever see it unless they alt+tab or go to the Desktop "app" from the menu. You'd think with the Start Menu removed, the Startup folder shouldn't work... But also the entire Start Menu folder structure is still in the AppData folder, including shortcuts and everything you'd expect to see. I can see that leaving this behind would probably be helpful for legacy apps that have been adding stuff to the Start Menu for YEARS NOW... Which is not making me look forward to testing more apps!

- The Runonce registry key still works, as you would expect BUT it interferes with the ModernUI opening in some modes. It makes me think that this key is deprecated now... but yet again it still works. A different change is that now the Runonce key does not de-populate itself after executing whatever is in there. So anything you actually have as being "Run Once" will run every time the OS loads.

Update: The RunOnce behaviour is a little different, but it is not a problem the the registry key not being cleared. Partly a problem is due to AutoIT not being able to identify the OS properly, so some commands are not being run, specifically deleting the program that populates that registry key... hence why it appeared to not be deleted.

Edited by Tripredacus, 05 October 2012 - 10:53 AM.
fixed error

MSFN RULES | GimageX HTA for PE 3-5 | lol probloms
msfn2_zpsc37c7153.jpg

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,157 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

- .Net Framework 3.5 is not available in the OS, and the only way it seems you can get it is to be connected to the internet. So any programs that require it won't run and a box comes up saying it needs it. Maybe if you are lucky, the developer has made an updated version that does't need it. So far I am 1 for 1 with this scenario, which seems way too rosy to me.

Tripredacus,

Can you fill me in on that one? I'm not sure how that's different from the way things are with earlier editions of Windows. The only way to get a different .NET version is via the Internet, no?

I still need to finish waking up, so I'm probably missing something really obvious here. ( @CoffeeFiend, can you e-mail me some of your brew? ;) )

Keep us posted on new impressions and headaches as you keep working with Win8...

--JorgeA

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,415 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

I still need to finish waking up, so I'm probably missing something really obvious here. ( @CoffeeFiend, can you e-mail me some of your brew? ;) )

In case of need:
Posted Image

jaclaz

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,814 posts
  • Joined 28-April 06

Donator

Tripredacus,

Can you fill me in on that one? I'm not sure how that's different from the way things are with earlier editions of Windows. The only way to get a different .NET version is via the Internet, no?

--JorgeA

No you are right. But there doesn't seem to be a stand-alone download for .Net Framework 3.5 for Windows 8 that I can use, instead it goes and get it from Windows Update. This is fine in a normal condition but for my work these computers never hit the internet... I do recall there is something from the ADK about it... Maybe I'll take a look-see.
MSFN RULES | GimageX HTA for PE 3-5 | lol probloms
msfn2_zpsc37c7153.jpg

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

after Windows 7 GA still Vista lover :)

• Patrons
  • 6,031 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

- The first boot experience is a wonder of technicolor.

Yes, this is so annoying. An epileptic can't install Windows 8. The box should include a warning about this crap!

- .Net Framework 3.5 is not available in the OS, and the only way it seems you can get it is to be connected to the internet.

You can use DISM.exe to install NetFx3 offline with the help of the ISO.
Posted Image

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,157 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

In case of need:
Posted Image

jaclaz

Ahhh -- that was refreshing! I sure needed it, thanks! :)

--JorgeA

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,157 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

But there doesn't seem to be a stand-alone download for .Net Framework 3.5 for Windows 8 that I can use, instead it goes and get it from Windows Update. This is fine in a normal condition but for my work these computers never hit the internet... I do recall there is something from the ADK about it... Maybe I'll take a look-see.

Oh, now I understand -- it was the standalone version that you had in mind.

Could be an oversight on MS's part, or maybe part of a strategy to push people "forward" to the latest and greatest.

--JorgeA

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,157 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10
This would be the supreme irony:

Microsoft will be saved by open-source

It would be quite something if Classic Shell actually ended up helping to rescue Windows 8 from disaster:

And while advocating its use is the best thing for Windows users, it is also the worst thing that anyone can do, because that means perpetuating trends, putting up with nonsense, giving up, relenting, allowing companies, Microsoft included, to go wild with their contemporary manias

This is an issue that I wrestled with when thinking about starting the "Ways to get back the Start Button/Menu in Win8" thread: anything that makes Windows 8 more bearable to use, decreases its chances of failure. It was a close call, but ultimately I decided to put together the list for the benefit of those who (for whatever reason) get stuck with Win8.

Beyond that issue, the entire article is pretty incisive, for example with the following description of MS bigwigs' thinking process:

What grips your attention is a small semi-rival company somewhere producing software and hardware that is completely out of your league. You also notice the human apes everywhere flock to buy these products as if they cure cancer and increase manhood. You think to yourself, hey, there's another market segment we haven't exploited yet.

The big guys are now enthused. The only problem is, their entire business model so far has been based on everything else BUT this new market segment. So what's the easiest way of quickly adjusting to the new reality? You slap an exhaust muffler on your Honda Civic and you call it a sports car. You slap a would-be smartphone interface on your desktop and you call it Metro.

Read and find yourself nodding through the whole writeup.

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA, 05 October 2012 - 11:38 PM.

Sysdll

Sysdll

• PipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Joined 22-December 07

With the advent of Windows 8, Microsoft introduces a new advertising canvas.[/b] We are kicking the old way of digital advertising to the curb with something fresh, modern, and revolutionary.

I'm embarrassed for the Microsoft employee who wrote this. "Kick it to the curb" was current slang about the time Windows 95 was out. This is the equivalent of someone in 1985 calling something "groovy" in a attempt to appeal to a younger generation. Modern and revolutionary it's not.

CharlotteTheHarlot

CharlotteTheHarlot

MSFN Master

• 2,054 posts
  • Joined 24-September 07
(Nice segue from Sysdll :yes: ). Speaking of Microsoft Advertising, a real barf-fest of a story comes out today. It can now be said that there are not one, but two goals with Windows 8 and Metro. The long term goal is the complete destruction of the wide open x86 universe, but in the shorter term is something akin to Microsoft TV where advertisers have multiple pipelines into your home of course channeled through Microsoft who will be the toll booth collector. This article really makes me want to hurl :puke: I was never surer than I am today that Microsoft should be broken up, the OS devs ripped out of there by the roots and placed far away from the rest of the company lest the Windows operating system evolves into the Windows advertising system. If this plays out without blowback from the customer base, the precedent will be set and the race for the bottom will accelerate with every other company, even Apple, Google and yes, Linux distros ...

Windows 8 in-app advertising shown off by Microsoft ( NeoWin 2012-10-05 )

I am completely ashamed at this article at Popular Mechanics, a magazine I have read since the 1960's. While the product may or may not be worthy of an award when it comes out, at the moment it is the literal definition of vaporware, since no-one has even placed a finger on these things, the specs are unknown, as is the price! I have never seen such a ridiculous thing written in advance of a product launch! Utterly disgraceful. This something I expect from Popular Science, not Popular Mechanics.

The Top 10 Tech Breakthroughs of 2012 :: Microsoft Surface + Windows 8 ( Popular Mechanics 2012-10-05 )

Popular Mechanics gives award to Windows 8 and Surface ( NeoWin 2012-10-05 )

CharlotteTheHarlot

CharlotteTheHarlot

MSFN Master

• 2,054 posts
  • Joined 24-September 07
THE NUMBERS GAME: Part-III ... Recall from earlier:

Windows 8 previews tested on over 16 million PCs ( NeoWin 2012-08-01 )

Windows 8 was the widest and most deeply tested OS in Microsoft's history according to Steven Sinofsky [Official Destroying Windows Blog], which he believes means that the world is ready for Windows 8 and its new workflow. Seeing as Windows 8 was tested so widely when compared to previous iterations of Windows, it should signify that Windows 8 will be another rock solid OS out of Redmond.

Windows 8 has five times less pre-release users than Windows 7 ( NeoWin 2012-10-02 )

"Alright, so Windows 8 isn’t even out yet – it shouldn’t matter how many people are using it, right? Well, that’s true to an extent, but a whopping 1.64% of Windows users felt like installing a pre-release version of Windows 7 a month before it was released. Compared to that, only about 0.33% of users are running Windows 8; five times less. To put that in perspective, Windows 7 already had as many users as Windows 8 six months before release."

Now we have a third installment in the Windows 8 alleged popularity sweepstakes ...

21 days and counting… ( WindowsDestroyersBlog 2012-10-04 )

Microsoft: Windows 8 received a billion hours of feedback ( NeoWin 2012-10-05 )

Across all the milestones we’ve announced for this reimagined version of the world’s best-selling operating system – Windows 8 is the most widely used and tested pre-release product we’ve ever delivered. Across every audience, Windows 8 has been downloaded and used by more people than Windows 7 during the same period. A billion hours of feedback telemetry has been collected from all our pre-releases combined. Since BUILD a year ago, there have been more than 750 Windows developer events held in over 50 countries worldwide – and more than 200,000 developers have attended those events. -- Brandon LeBlanc

Notice the perfectly matching talking points to what Sinofsky said earlier. Considering that they have completely ignored the all feedback as is obvious from the fact that almost nothing has changed since the original demonstrations, then the early leaks, then the DP, the CP, the RP and the RTM, all these numbers demonstrate is monumental arrogance and stubborn tunnel vision. A more accurate title would be ...Microsoft ignored a billion hours of feedback.

EDIT: stray tags

Edited by CharlotteTheHarlot, 07 October 2012 - 03:42 AM.

Joseph_sw

Joseph_sw

• PipPip
  • 217 posts
  • Joined 03-August 08
so, what happened to anti-something product?
did M$ bribe'em up to white-listing the OS sponsored ADWare?

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,415 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04
I thought that Popular Mechanics were "serious" people, and not clowns, 3/4 of what they posted as the 10 best things in 2012 either do not exist or there is no way they actually could have tested 'em, I mean, we already have the good gizmodo guys for the news and for the "Press Communncations".

Casually, the image seen here:
http://windowsteambl...d-counting.aspx
has obviously been printed :w00t: on the cubify printer (wirelessly), have a look at the actual cubify site:
http://cubify.com/index.aspx
And compare with the reference for the explanation for the Windows 8 NCI and logo:
http://www.msfn.org/...ost__p__1003049
http://www.msfn.org/...47#entry1008647

I know how it is good to introduce computers and stuff in primary school, but the idea was to do it because in due time the children would have grown up with some more knowledge, not that of having all humanity revert to primary school ....

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz, 06 October 2012 - 07:09 AM.

CharlotteTheHarlot

CharlotteTheHarlot

MSFN Master

• 2,054 posts
  • Joined 24-September 07
First Acer Windows 8 PCs on sale now at HSN.com ( NeoWin 2012-10-08 )

This is kinda interesting. One retailer may have jumped the gun and put some Windows 8 computers for sale online. HSN ( aka the Home Shopping Network ) has 5 of them listed on this page, still listed as of this writing. Since it will probably be scrubbed, I nicked the pertinent info ...

Posted Image

I don't know about anyone else, but there isn't a thing there that strikes me as a good deal at all. 15" Laptop with i3 for $700 or 15" Laptop with i5 for $1000. WTF! Scroll up a few posts to see a 17" with i7 for $700. Jeez.

I'll be the first to admit that we have no way of distinguishing the Microsoft Tax from the HSN Tax. But having said that, aren't we lucky they removed the DVD MPEG2 Decoders to in an effort to save us money? :lol: Thanks Team B&S!

EDIT: yep, Microsoft got to them. See post # 1109 below.

Edited by CharlotteTheHarlot, 09 October 2012 - 03:50 AM.

CharlotteTheHarlot

CharlotteTheHarlot

MSFN Master

• 2,054 posts
  • Joined 24-September 07
Windows 8 Pro price listed at $188 through Volume Licensing ( NeoWin 2012-10-07 )

Sorry to repeat myself but aren't we lucky they removed the DVD MPEG2 Decoders to in an effort to save us money? :lol: Thanks Team B&S! Nice little dust-up in comments over there. All it takes someone to say: "not even free..." to get the fanboys all butt-hurt. :lol:

One of the interesting things to watch unfold in the Windows 8 saga has been how Microsoft roped in Nokia as one of their flagships. They were in a bit of trouble prior to signing onto to this likely trainwreck, and many speculated Microsoft will just swallow up the company eventually ( MicroNokia has a bit of a ring to it ). Over at NeoWin they have very high hopes for Nokia and their Lumias since they must understand that an epic failure here will be a VERY bad sign for Windows 8. Up in Redmond, WP8 must certainly be considered a linchpin in their modern plan for world domination. What Microsoft has done thus far in the phone market has been nothing short of embarrassing, as a NeoWin article from October 3 drives home: ComScore: Microsoft's US mobile phone market share has dropped.

For MicroNokia, early indications and word on the street has not been good at all. These are the danger ahead articles over at Fanboy Central just in the past month ...

Nokia stock down 15% following Windows Phone announcements ( NeoWin 2012-09-05 )

Nokia apologizes for misleading Lumia PureView video ( NeoWin 2012-09-06 )

Nokia CEO: "No indications" Microsoft is making its own phone ( NeoWin 2012-10-02 )

Nokia confirms sell off Finland HQ buildings [Update] ( NeoWin 2012-10-03 )

Major bank downgrades Nokia again, recommends break-up and sell-off ( NeoWin 2012-10-04 )

Nokia's VP of Product Marketing departs, investors dissapointed with 920 announcement ( NeoWin 2012-10-07 )

AT&T Lumias get reduced battery life estimates ( NeoWin 2012-10-07 )

I should point out that I personally have nothing against Nokia at all and would welcome more competition in all the tech markets. The 920 looks kinda nice except for the Metro GUI. But all the glamor shots have been of the same blind-man themed GUI with yellow tiles and white icons and text. It's as if they want to fail! This photo still exists at the website ...

Posted Image

Good luck with that. Not really.

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,157 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

First Acer Windows 8 PCs on sale now at HSN.com ( NeoWin 2012-10-08 )

[...]

I don't know about anyone else, but there isn't a thing there that strikes me as a good deal at all. 15" Laptop with i3 for $700 or 15" Laptop with i5 for $1000. WTF! Scroll up a few posts to see a 17" with i7 for $700. Jeez.

I'll be the first to admit that we have no way of distinguishing the Microsoft Tax from the HSN Tax. But having said that, aren't we lucky they removed the DVD MPEG2 Decoders to in an effort to save us money? :lol: Thanks Team B&S!

If the laptops feature touch screens, we also have to factor in the cost of that technology. So... extra $$$ (possibly) shelled out for the opportunity to keep your arm constantly extended in ergonomically dubious ways.

--JorgeA

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN