Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Windows 8 - Deeper Impressions

• Please log in to reply
6137 replies to this topic

Formfiller

Formfiller

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • Joined 03-January 13
Oh well, Surface is surely a hit..

http://www.digitimes...D209.html?mod=2

Microsoft's Windows 8 Pro-based Surface tablet, which is set to release on February 9, will only have an initial shipment volume of one million units, far lower than the four million shipments of the company's Surface RT tablet when launched, according to sources from the upstream supply chain.

And:

http://www.digitimes...30129PD216.html

There have been about two million Windows RT tablets shipped globally, fewer than the 4-4.5 million units originally expected to be shipped as of the end of 2012, and actual sales so far are likely to be less than one million units, according to Taiwan-based supply chain makers.

Since Microsoft announced Surface in mid-2012, some partners gave up plans to develop Windows RT tablets, resulting in the launch of Surface RT and only several other Windows RT tablets developed by Asustek Computer, Samsung Electronics, Lenovo and Dell, the sources pointed out. Sales of all other Windows RT tablets are estimated at about 4000,000 units, short of original expectations, the sources indicated.

The far below originally expected sales performance for Windows RT tablets is mainly because a large number of applications are not compatible with Windows RT and sales prices are relatively high, the sources said. Since Microsoft will ship the Windows 8-based Surface Pro soon, prices for Surface RT are likely to be lowered to clear inventories, the sources noted.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

ciHnoN

ciHnoN

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Joined 22-January 13

Donator

A bit OT but kind'a on topic regarding the lock-downing of Windows 8 systems... http://linux.slashdo...msung-notebooks ...I think they are just testing the waters before a total lock-down of all devices.

Samsung notebooks can be turned into a brick if booted just one time via UEFI into Linux. Even the firmware does not boot anymore. Some reports in the Ubuntu bug tracker system report that such notebooks can not be recovered without replacing the main board.

Edited by ciHnoN, 30 January 2013 - 02:38 PM.

He who laughs has not yet heard the bad news.

Formfiller

Formfiller

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • Joined 03-January 13
By the way, with such low order numbers for Surface Pro.. are they fully expecting that it will flop as well?

What's the point in launching then?

CharlotteTheHarlot

CharlotteTheHarlot

MSFN Master

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,054 posts
  • Joined 24-September 07

Oh well, Surface is surely a hit..

http://www.digitimes...D209.html?mod=2

Microsoft's Windows 8 Pro-based Surface tablet, which is set to release on February 9, will only have an initial shipment volume of one million units, far lower than the four million shipments of the company's Surface RT tablet when launched, according to sources from the upstream supply chain.

Wow, I didn't see that story yet, I wonder why it didn't show up at NeoWin? :lol:

If that is accurate, their expectations are much lower now, as they should be when entering the high-end "ultrabook" market instead of the mid-range tablet market. Surface RT should have been priced at the bottom-end at $250. The Surface Pro at $500 tops. Then they would have had a fighting chance. They may have started with good intentions but they must have used a buggy version of Excel to plot projections of competing against Samsung, Amazon, and Google/Android.

Sometime between development and release of Surface they clearly shifted to dreaming of becoming another Apple with over-priced boutique hipster devices ( remember the first Surface commercial ). I suspect it was that fawning wave of coverage in the tech press when the Surface secret project was announced, coverage that consisted mostly of "oooohs" and "aahhhhs", the kind of thing that boosts your ego non-sensibly. The truth of the matter is that they have no ability to compete on the bottom-end, because they know nothing about fair pricing that can drive sales. They also have no ability of competing on the top-end without a long established and predictable ( and slave labor ) hardware manufacturing base like Apple.

So once again, just what were they thinking? Seriously, the only real chance that they have is to buy an OEM manufacturer like Dell, lock, stock and barrel and set Apple-like expectations for a year or three into the future. But even that ship may have sailed because you have to move fast and it looks like Dell stock is already up 30% just on the rumors of going private. The upper management at Microsoft is so inept, so bureaucratic, so IBM-like, that it is unlikely they will accomplish anything, ever.

... Let him who hath understanding reckon the Number Of The Beast ...

TheBigBang

TheBigBang

• 14 posts
  • Joined 22-April 11

I was wondering if you were trying to install a different browser in Metro, like maybe Firefox or Chrome, and then as a result Metro IE got messed up. Not a big deal, just curious.

--JorgeA

I use Safari,(my default browser) everything works like a charm..
Cheers!

CharlotteTheHarlot

CharlotteTheHarlot

MSFN Master

• 2,054 posts
  • Joined 24-September 07
RIM renames itself BlackBerry, launches BB10 and all-touch Z10 smartphone ( TechSpot 2013-01-30 )

BlackBerry launches new BlackBerry 10 devices ( NeoWin 2013-01-30 )

You really gotta wonder if Microsoft's grand mobile strategy plan left out one important variable - competition. Perhaps their projections assumed the rest of the industry taking a year or two off? I see no easy way to get WP8 into the top three because Blackberry will compete in enterprise IT. If WebOS gets a foothold, and Linux gets established and Symbian sticks around ( and there are even more ), Microsoft will forever battle for the bottom rung of this ladder. The Windows Tiles interface just looks too busy for many peoples' tastes, and by simply utilizing a nice wallpaper almost any phone will instantly look more professional and attractive to the average purchaser. Ah, but the plan was to shoehorn it onto desktops in the Windows x86 universe so we all fall in love with it and then dutifully run out and buy WP8 phones right? Great plan Ballmer. Destroy Windows for nothing.

Spoiler

Microsoft: We will ship a full Windows 8 'Modern' version of Office ... someday ( NeoWin 2013-01-30 )

Now that's funny right there. The screenshot of the hideous Office 2013 Outlook posted upthread ( Post #1604) by ciHnoN isn't bad enough I guess!

Spoiler

Samsung VS Apple: Retrial request denied! ( NeoWin 2013-01-30 )

Sorry to see this ruling, but it will be appealed. This case, this Judge, this Court is one of the last remaining firewalls standing between Apple and oblivion. Their most successful tactic, something like Microsoft, is to clear the playing field to establish a window of opportunity with no competition, exploit it and exit ( Microsoft only does the first two parts ) after product saturation to move on to other things. Great commenter there: "Her name should be Lucy D'Oh!". :yes:

EDIT: typo

Edited by CharlotteTheHarlot, 30 January 2013 - 04:54 PM.

ciHnoN

ciHnoN

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Joined 22-January 13

Donator

...You really gotta wonder if Microsoft's grand mobile strategy plan left out one important variable - competition. Perhaps their projections assumed the rest of the industry taking a year or two off? I see no easy way to get WP8 into the top three because Blackberry will compete in enterprise IT. If WebOS gets a foothold, and Linux gets established and Symbian sticks around ( and there are even more ), Microsoft will forever battle for the bottom rung of this ladder. The Windows Tiles interface just looks too busy for many peoples' tastes, and by simply utilizing a nice wallpaper almost any phone will instantly look more professional and attractive to the average purchaser. Ah, but the plan was to shoehorn it onto desktops in the Windows x86 universe so we all fall in love with it and then dutifully run out and buy WP8 phones right? Great plan Ballmer. Destroy Windows for nothing.

I dislike Android because of all the spyware they shove into it... BUT even this thing can "sideload" (Orwellian term for FREE)... back to WP8... you are right. I feel like in a prison with it. I like my Android tablet because I got a very calm and nice ANIMATED background... sooo soothing. I LOVE IT.

Another funny thing about Windows 8 tablets... they cannot act as a phone!!! hahahahhaha... I LOVE my Android tablet because, animated background... veeery lovely... and it has a super amoled screen... as in, TRUE BLACK... this display is SO AMAZING ( Samsung Tab 7.7 ) that if you use it for some 30 minutes, you can never go back to anything else... and most importantly... when I lay down on my bed, doing whatever I'm doing with it... I can also call friends, family, use the SMS / picture function.

Now, Windows 8 tablets completely missed on that important function. What did they think, I'm gonna buy a W8 tablet AND a WP8? And hold them both in my hand? *looooooooooool* it's ludicrous!

I even take my tablet to WC/Toilet. The phone functionality is of utmost importance. I got more family members, older ones which also use Android because they use it in kitchen and all over the home... because they only need ONE device and can be reachable + surf or listen to radio with it etc.

Imagine buying a Windows 8 tablet... 'loooooooool'... we would have to hang a WP8 on our neck too. That's why I cannot buy a Windows 8 tablet AT ALL. Even if it was $50! It's useless if I cannot use it a my phone too. Having 100 devices hanging around you is soooo not something I want to do.

Now, if only Ballmer would read this. :)

CharlotteTheHarlot

CharlotteTheHarlot

MSFN Master

• 2,054 posts
  • Joined 24-September 07
What do others think about Office 364 and subscriptions in general ( I'm really lovin the Register these days ) ...

Why Microsoft's Office 2013 Subscription Model Will Flop ( Dvorak 2013-01-29 )

Microsoft tries to sell home Office users on subscription pricing C'mon... We'll give you storage 'n' Skype minutes ( UK Register 2013-01-29 )

Microsoft Office 2013 vs. Office 365: Is either right for you? Microsoft is dangling the bait. Should you bite? ( UK Register 2013-01-30 )

Help us out here: What's the POINT of Microsoft Office 2013? From Clippy to touch, Reg man Tim drills into Redmond's crown jewels ( UK Register 2013-01-30 )

Is it Microsoft or MicroDell? ...

Microsoft's Dell billions have Windows 8 strings attached If you can't convince them, buy them... ( UK Register 2013-01-30 )

MicroDell: It's All About the Margins ( The Street 2013-01-23 )

Should Microsoft Buy Dell? ( Seeking Alpha 2013-01-23 )

More stuff about Blackberry ...

RIM blows on the dice, gets ready for its FINAL THROW Desperate to get out of Last Chance Saloon crapgame ( UK Register 2013-01-30 )

Smartphone stragglers: Microsoft and BlackBerry battle to secure third place After Android and iOS, it's still anybody's game ( The Verge 2013-01-30 )

BlackBerry 10 launches with 70,000 apps including Skype, Whatsapp and Angry Birds ( NeoWin 2013-01-30 )

And finally ...

Bill Gates wants to rid the world of polio within six years ( NeoWin 2013-01-30 )

I wonder if by Polio he really meant Microsoft ? :lol:

EDIT: interesting comment in that Register article about Dell ...

As a Dell employee, I think all the internal emails about the XPS 10 that we're getting sum up how well this Microsoft deal will go.

XPS 10 is Dell's version of the Surface RT. Pretty much as soon as this launched we've been getting emails about a "great offer" to own one, with a far, far bigger staff discount that the (terrible) discount we normally get. This is something that never happens - Its cheaper to buy a Dell from PC World(!!!) than using the staff discount and buying direct, and the response from senior management has been "well then, go to PC world"

The volume and frequency of these literally begging emails to buy this RT indicates theres a warehouse in China stuffed to the gunnels with this piece of junk that Microsoft dictated and nobody wants.

They can try and blame OEM's, but this is one OEM that rolled over and did exactly what Balmer requested. Net result is Michael Dells next purchase is going to be a excavator, to dig a gargantuan hole to bury all these unwanted and unsold units.

Icing on the cake was our Windows 2012 training, with course materials provided directly by Microsoft. The first four or five slides were all about why a touch interface is a good idea on a server - First time I've ever heard a whole classroom howl with laughter at an operating system training slide deck!

Edited by CharlotteTheHarlot, 30 January 2013 - 08:09 PM.

ciHnoN

ciHnoN

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Joined 22-January 13

Donator

As a Dell employee, I think all the internal emails about the XPS 10 that we're getting sum up how well this Microsoft deal will go.

XPS 10 is Dell's version of the Surface RT. Pretty much as soon as this launched we've been getting emails about a "great offer" to own one, with a far, far bigger staff discount that the (terrible) discount we normally get. This is something that never happens - Its cheaper to buy a Dell from PC World(!!!) than using the staff discount and buying direct, and the response from senior management has been "well then, go to PC world"

The volume and frequency of these literally begging emails to buy this RT indicates theres a warehouse in China stuffed to the gunnels with this piece of junk that Microsoft dictated and nobody wants.

They can try and blame OEM's, but this is one OEM that rolled over and did exactly what Balmer requested. Net result is Michael Dells next purchase is going to be a excavator, to dig a gargantuan hole to bury all these unwanted and unsold units.

Icing on the cake was our Windows 2012 training, with course materials provided directly by Microsoft. The first four or five slides were all about why a touch interface is a good idea on a server - First time I've ever heard a whole classroom howl with laughter at an operating system training slide deck!

hahahahahahaha they are really nuts, as if Windows 8 isn't bad enough, they put this Metro crap in Windows Server 2012 too. I tried it a bit... try hitting that start screen ONE PIXEL in a remote desktop window or vm console... you want to kill yourself after 2 tries... imagine handling 20 servers. :D

About Office 365... cloud... readonly documents if you don't pay... yey! DRM enabled on your own documents. Why would ANYONE use this crap? If you can't touch it, you don't own it. ...so yeah, MS can stuff it somewhere.

@CharlotteTheHarlot: Great posts as always! So great that I have added this thread to my daily news read routine. hehe ...Thanks! =)

CharlotteTheHarlot

CharlotteTheHarlot

MSFN Master

• 2,054 posts
  • Joined 24-September 07
This is not shaping up to be a very happy day over at NeoWin ...

It's the final day (for most people) to get cheap Windows 8 upgrades ( NeoWin 2013-01-31 )

Starting on February 1st, the Windows 8 Pro upgrade edition will be available via download and at retail stores for $199.99. The regular Windows 8 upgrade edition will be priced at $119.99, while the Windows 8 Pro Pack will cost $99.99. Finally, the optional Windows 8 Media Center Pack, which can be downloaded for at the moment, will cost $9.99 starting on Friday.

We contacted Microsoft to ask exactly what time the prices would go up for the Windows 8 upgrades and were told it would happen at 2 am Pacific Time on Friday. However, it's not clear if that's worldwide or just for the US market.

Besides the original launch in October, this will be the absolute peak sales day for Windows 8. After this, there is nothing. It's over until the next version. Theme Song: Funeral For A Friend.

iSuppli: Microsoft Surface RT has sold 680,000 to 750,000 units ( NeoWin 2013-01-31 )

CNet.com reports that, according to iSuppli, Microsoft shipped about 1.25 million units of the Surface RT tablet in the fourth quarter of 2012. Actual sales of the tablet, however, were estimated by iSuppli to be much lower, at around 680,000 to 750,000 units. iSuppli also claims that returns of the tablet were "very high" but numbers were not revealed.

A separate report from IDC on the entire tablet industry in the last quarter doesn't even show Microsoft in the top five in the list of companies that had the most shipments of tablets. The report claims that Microsoft shipped "just shy of 900,000 units into the channel." Apple had the most tablet shipments for the quarter at 22.9 million units, followed by Samsung with 7.9 million units and Amazon with 6 million tablets.

This thread is an open invitational to all prospective psychologists that are seeking case studies to further their education. There will be many future patients in here displaying various cries for help. Only a few comments so far, check back later today for much more fun. "Denial". It ain't just a river in Egypt anymore. Theme Song: Welcome To My Nightmare.

Gabe Newell: Apple, not Microsoft, is biggest threat to Steam Box ( NeoWin 2013-01-31 )

Those same prospective psychologists should visit this thread as well later today. The discussion will have on display all manner of vicious attacks on this ex-Softie who has the courage to speak his own mind about his former company. Future shrinks will easily spot the symptoms of antisocial behavior by unstable people rife with hatred and lashing out at their enemies, real or imagined. Theme Song: Crazy Train.

Formfiller

Formfiller

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • Joined 03-January 13

This is not shaping up to be a very happy day over at NeoWin ...

Well, they had an orgasm over this one:

http://www.neowin.ne...drive-pc-demand

What's your take on this?

Formfiller

Formfiller

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • Joined 03-January 13

Starting on February 1st, the Windows 8 Pro upgrade edition will be available via download and at retail stores for $199.99. The regular Windows 8 upgrade edition will be priced at $119.99, while the Windows 8 Pro Pack will cost $99.99. Finally, the optional Windows 8 Media Center Pack, which can be downloaded for at the moment, will cost $9.99 starting on Friday.

We contacted Microsoft to ask exactly what time the prices would go up for the Windows 8 upgrades and were told it would happen at 2 am Pacific Time on Friday. However, it's not clear if that's worldwide or just for the US market.

Prices will go up worldwide.

Edited by Formfiller, 31 January 2013 - 05:20 AM.

CharlotteTheHarlot

CharlotteTheHarlot

MSFN Master

• 2,054 posts
  • Joined 24-September 07

http://www.neowin.net/news/lenovo-records-record-profits-thinks-windows-8-will-drive-pc-demand

What's your take on this?

I don't see the hard facts that they are bragging about. "Lenovo said it shipped 14.1 million PCs during the fourth quarter, up 7.6 percent. This is in contrast to the overall PC market, which saw shipments go down for the same quarter". This quote includes Windows 7 which is all that was available for fully 1/3 of that fourth quarter! And it was most likely still available in the latter 2/3 of that quarter as the primary OS or downgrades. One number that needs to be reported honestly is returns. Anecdotally I know of a dozen actual returns, and to tell the truth I can not recall that ever happening before because most people don't go through that kind of hassle unless they are really p***ed off. If your operating system is being returned, it is a failure and it is not really an operating system. The theme song for this article should probably be Rock And Roll Fantasy.

Prices will go up worldwide.

Exactly right. Microsoft and Windows 8 already spiked prices on everything, halting and reversing the decades long trend of increasing value and decreasing prices over time. Just wait until this 5x increase in cost gets passed along to the customer. I've called them the Destroying Windows Team for a while, but Destroying Computers may be more appropriate.

EDIT: added 2nd thing.

Edited by CharlotteTheHarlot, 31 January 2013 - 05:37 AM.

Formfiller

Formfiller

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • Joined 03-January 13
Surface Pro is the last strike for this "Nu Microsoft". I wonder what happens when it flops too?

Will Ballmer crack completely and join the even more fanatical Neowin cheerleaders? ("Win32 compatibility is slowing us down!")
Monkeys are most dangerous when they are injured and cornered. I hope sanity prevails though.

Edited by Formfiller, 31 January 2013 - 05:36 AM.

Formfiller

Formfiller

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • Joined 03-January 13
Neowin drowning in fanboi juice:

http://www.neowin.ne...to-750000-units

>isuppli

>totally not biased down to their name

I agree. They are sooooooooooooo biased in everything they put out. I am an actual real buyer of market research data and I wouldn't go anywhere near iSuppli(cant).

You can spot their employees a mile away. They're the ones with marks all over them from people touching them with ten foot poles.

iSupply

Well we will be sure to take their expert research on a matter that they would have no idea about. The comments by the IDC guy are just complete waffle and it really is clear that these guys studied marketing or some other non-IT area and so really don't know what they are saying...

These same w*****s dare to talk about Steve Job's reality distortion field! They are not only drinking the kool-aid, they are p***ing it already! Sorry for the strong langauge, but it's just so sad. The Microsoft platform used to be the most fanboi-free just a few years ago, now it's THE asylum. I am so angry at these fanboi idiots.

Edited by Formfiller, 31 January 2013 - 05:53 AM.

ciHnoN

ciHnoN

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Joined 22-January 13

Donator

The Microsoft platform used to be the most fanboi-free just a few years ago, now it's THE asylum. I am so angry at these fanboi idiots.

Haha indeed! You know why? Because there was no need. Microsoft was very good. Now they are losing it and it's when the fanboys come out of the closet.

Come think of it, what CharlotteTheHarlot said... they are not destroying Windows but Personal Private Computers... you might actually be right about this! Maybe THAT is exactly their plan? To kill of PCs with crap like this so people move on to locked devices on their own and they can blame it on the people not wanting PCs anymore!

Seriously... it could be their plan! There are sinister forces in the background and they might just kill off Microsoft to achieve total lock down in "Computers". By kill off Microsoft, I mean of course, making Microsoft an IBM. Just for coporations. You don't see any IBM in homes anymore and perhaps in 10 years, you won't see any Microsoft Windows in homes anymore either.

Everything will be locked down "iDevices" or "Android" or crappolia or whatever... as long as it's locked down. Computers will be marginalized to a few, perhaps 2-4% of people who actually use their PCs for more than just using it as a TV and Facebook device.

Edited by ciHnoN, 31 January 2013 - 08:53 AM.

Formfiller

Formfiller

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • Joined 03-January 13
I have to give some rare kudos to the Neowin fanboys this time.

They acted pretty civil here:

http://www.neowin.ne...fanboy-central/

ciHnoN

ciHnoN

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Joined 22-January 13

Donator

hahahahahhahahahahahahaha.... fun thread! *loooooooooooooooooooooool* :lol:

EDIT: It's not them acting civil but I think since they KNOW deep down that we are correct here, because we use FACTS not OPINIONS, they cannot really come up with much once you actually go head to head with them.

Edited by ciHnoN, 31 January 2013 - 09:11 AM.

ciHnoN

ciHnoN

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Joined 22-January 13

Donator

btw for some reason, they think CharlotteTheHarlot is a girl. :D...

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,923 posts
  • Joined 28-April 06

Donator

they put this Metro crap in Windows Server 2012 too. I tried it a bit... try hitting that start screen ONE PIXEL in a remote desktop window or vm console... you want to kill yourself after 2 tries... imagine handling 20 servers. :D

Its annoying initially, but it isn't horrible. I think the size is actually larger than 1 pixel tho. My only complaint is that it would be nice if there was an easy way to add items into that context menu, such as whatever roles are installed.
MSFN RULES | GimageX HTA for PE 3-5 | lol probloms
msfn2_zpsc37c7153.jpg

Formfiller

Formfiller

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • Joined 03-January 13
I find it very odd that there's no "last special offer day, grab W8 now!" ad on Microsoft.com right now. Amazon doesn't mention it too:

http://www.amazon.co...TF8&node=229534

CharlotteTheHarlot

CharlotteTheHarlot

MSFN Master

• 2,054 posts
  • Joined 24-September 07

Yep, I remember that thread at the time and would have mentioned it if it had kept going. The funny thing is that my sign-in date over there is older than every single poster on that thread except one. Children indeed. There are more than a few of us NeoWin longtimers that got fed up with the place. Here is an example why: Just a few weeks prior to that thread they had yet another embarrassing incident that we talked about here, see around this post. Also this. One of my theories why this happened to NeoWin is this one. They kind of get mentioned a lot around the blogosphere, and maybe that is the very point, any publicity is good publicity.

Anyway, the point they are always missing is that the site, NeoWin itself has radically changed, attracting legions of Generation Xbox consumer-type dumb-terminal users. They are the very target demographic that Windows MetroTard Edition is designed for. The layman. The n00b. What they cannot fathom is that no-one even wants to deprive them of their MetroTard operating system ( seriously, more power to you, have fun pushing around colored blocks! ). But being children they want to impose their toys on everyone else including techs, developers, programmers, even the office and enterprise. They draw no lines in the sand anywhere. They do not want under any circumstances a separate MetroTard version of Windows for sale that they must intentionally purchase letting the market decide ( actually its their parents' money, but I digress ). No, they want it imposed on everyone else. This is why I despise them. They are worse than any alleged Apple fanboy of the past. They are a plague and are Microsoft's absolute worst enemy, and they will run it into the ground. If you want Windows and Microsoft itself to survive, the mindless fanboys must be ignored.

P.S. I should mention this also. I used to refer to it as "Fanboy Central", but I was getting maybe a little too unprofessional about it. One of the mods politely pointed it out and I agreed. Check back in this thread around #1174 to see when. It wasn't too long after the mentioned NeoWin thread. The moderator was right, we look much better than them by keeping it civil ( as hard as it may be ).

JorgeA

JorgeA

FORMAT B: /V /S

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,244 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

iSuppli: Microsoft Surface RT has sold 680,000 to 750,000 units ( NeoWin 2013-01-31 )

CNet.com reports that, according to iSuppli, Microsoft shipped about 1.25 million units of the Surface RT tablet in the fourth quarter of 2012. Actual sales of the tablet, however, were estimated by iSuppli to be much lower, at around 680,000 to 750,000 units. iSuppli also claims that returns of the tablet were "very high" but numbers were not revealed.

A separate report from IDC on the entire tablet industry in the last quarter doesn't even show Microsoft in the top five in the list of companies that had the most shipments of tablets. The report claims that Microsoft shipped "just shy of 900,000 units into the channel." Apple had the most tablet shipments for the quarter at 22.9 million units, followed by Samsung with 7.9 million units and Amazon with 6 million tablets.

And the figures just keep getting smaller and smaller.

By now it should be fairly clear that Surface (and, by extension, Windows RT and the whole Windows 8 concept) fills no particular market need. Customers were not clamoring for this. This is a case where a product was conceived, designed, and launched in response to the manufacturer's -- not the market's -- goals and desires. And, more specifically, the goals and desires of a couple of people at the top of a bureaucracy, possibly in a panic over the success of a rival company in a different market segment that's already amply served.

Rather than playing to their strengths with a proven cash cow, they opted for a gruesome mutilation of the cow, and may even end up killing it.

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA, 31 January 2013 - 12:31 PM.

Formfiller

Formfiller

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • Joined 03-January 13

Anyway, the point they are always missing is that the site, NeoWin itself has radically changed, attracting legions of Generation Xbox consumer-type dumb-terminal users.

Well, they are also very censorship-happy. I posted about W8 there (ok, the language was maybe a bit colorful) and got ban-hammered promptly. In fact, Microsoft's own technet forum seemed to be more free than Neowin. (Maybe because it isn't directed towards the x-boxers)

No wonder that place is over-run with fanboys.

What do you think about this?:

http://www.nsaneforu...yees-the-truth/

CharlotteTheHarlot

CharlotteTheHarlot

MSFN Master

• 2,054 posts
  • Joined 24-September 07
Windows XP Upgrade To Windows 8 ? ... Houston We Have A Problem

Summary: If you are using Windows XP while purchasing Windows 8, you will not be able to create the ISO or FlashDrive media options!

Against my best advice I just had someone insist on buying the $39.99 Crazy Eddie deal. So I went through the entire process and kept track of the changes and other details. What an amateur operation. :wacko:

The first thing you do is download the Upgrade Assistant, a standalone program that runs compatibility tests, makes a report, accepts credit cards, and handles the download. Yes, its icky, leaves a gigantic boatload of files in Application Data, Flash, Cookies, Crypto and Temporary Internet folders, and naturally does no cleanup. Anyway, after you complete it and buy the license it begins and completes the 2GB download.

If you are using Windows XP to place the order and download, the process will deviate from the instructions. ~sigh~ For example, from the FAQ ... "Can I create my own installation media for Windows 8? You can create your own installation media on a USB or DVD. During the installation process you are presented with an option to: “Install now, Install by creating media, or Install later from your desktop”. When you select “Install by creating media”, you will be presented with the options to create USB or DVD installation media.". Yeah, No. :no: Not on Windows XP. Others noticed this little bug, read here. If you are on Windows XP the result is ...

Posted Image

Wonderful. See the half-hearted solution given by the Softie at that link ("Wednesday, October 31, 2012 4:05 PM"). You have to grab the files which are thankfully under a single folder structure called C:\ESD and either burn a disc or copy them to some other media. Screenshot ...

Spoiler

Still after all these years they cannot figure out the reduced breakage potential of downloading one single file versus 2.06 GB consisting of 1,577 Files and 540 Folders. That is the total under C:\ESD structure. What could possibly go wrong! Well, now we have potential problems at any of 3 possible points in time: (1) downloading, (2) burning to disc, and (3) execution from burned disc later. :realmad: Needless to say, they still reserve clean updated images only for those subscribing to MSDN rather than all customers, and even those terms have changed for the worse lately. What a terrible state of affairs.

If anyone is interested, not counting the C:\ESD distribution, the Upgrade Assistant left another 947 new files scattered around the above mentioned folders. It also changes some logs ( WindowsUpdate, ReportingEvents, Wbem*, and more ) and very alarmingly modifies several Windows Update cabinets ( muv4wuredir, wuredir ) the consequence I will learn about later. All this nonsense to grab a simple Windows 8 offline installer to be used later on another computer! They have learned nothing at all in all these years.

EDIT: typo. Forgot to mention, only a couple of changes to the registry under BITS and DHCP, most likely harmless and transitory.

Edited by CharlotteTheHarlot, 01 February 2013 - 06:21 PM.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users