Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Windows 8 - Deeper Impressions

• Please log in to reply
5923 replies to this topic

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,266 posts

Dumb question: if I no longer have access to my files, how can I prove that I own them?

You produce the CoP (Certificate of Property ) that was given to you when you actually paid for your files or - in case of self-produced files - the SoS (Statement of Selfproducing) which is a simple affidavit with the name of the file, the license number of the software you used to produce that (if Commercial) the CoA number of your OS (if Microsoft) and the MD5 of the file.
You simply sign it (with two witnesses) and then send it to yourself via officially authorized Post/Mail Service. (to have certainty of the date, attaching a photo of yourself holding the affidavit and a newspaper is entirely optional, but recommended)

If your warez pusher legitimate software provider did not give you the CoP at the time of the purchase or you subsequently lost it (or it was stolen from your home by little green men or other malicious beings) , you can produce a RoLoSCoP (Replacement of Lost or Stolen Certificate of Property) very similar to the SoS, and following the same procedure.

The difference is only that the Government has the right to shout "Doubt it!" when you produce a RoLoSCoP, in which case you need to bring in three witnesses (and your mom doesn't count).

We call this "progress" and "simplification of bureaucracy".

You ask silly questions.... ;) :whistle:

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz, 09 February 2013 - 12:55 PM.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

JorgeA

JorgeA

FORMAT B: /V /S

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,110 posts

We call this "progress" and "simplification of bureaucracy".

You ask silly questions.... ;) :whistle:

ROFL

There's another name for the convoluted procedure that you describe: "user convenience." :yes: Ah yes, everybody sign up for the convenience of the cloud!! :crazy:

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA, 09 February 2013 - 06:14 PM.

CharlotteTheHarlot

CharlotteTheHarlot

MSFN Master

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,054 posts

Hope you made it through the storm OK. Around here, everything outside is covered in white, but we're going to miss the worst of it, it looks like.

As I type this, it has been snowing for 13 hours and I just measured 12" of snow. According to the latest we are in for another 8 hours and should hit close to 20". The wind is now just kicking up and that is what usually causes falling trees and blackouts. I am hoping we get lucky but I am realistic and will assume power loss at any moment. But thanks for the concern!

How much snow did you get? I'm just above NYC and one snow band away from the worst of it ( to the East in Conn and Boston ).

Our forecasts (Philly suburbs) were ranging from 3" to 10" depending on who you listened to and when. We ended up getting just over 4" of a dry, powdery snow. But now the wind is blowing hard, so we're putting off shoveling 'til that dies down.

Without meaning to jinx it, it sounds like your power has held up so far. :ph34r:

Well we got lucky too, but not as lucky as you! It stopped snowing a couple hours after I wrote that, total between 14" ( here ) and 16" ( airport ). The wind blew the stuff around a lot so some people think it was much more than it was. Never thought I would be thankful for only ~15" of snow! Still caused us about 6 hours of shoveling but no power loss :thumbup

... Let him who hath understanding reckon the Number Of The Beast ...

CharlotteTheHarlot

CharlotteTheHarlot

MSFN Master

• 2,054 posts

Another danger of living and working in the Cloud (where the Microsoft Surface would nudge users):

Innocent Megaupload user asks court to order his data returned

So, if the government suspects that the cloud server where you've put your stuff also contains illegal or copyrighted material put there by somebody else, they can seize the server and deny you access to your own stuff.

You can't possibly know what other people are going to upload to the same service you're using. This really should make anybody think twice before making the move to the Cloud.

Government: "Innocent" Megaupload user uploaded pirated music

In a Tuesday legal brief first covered by TorrentFreak, the government argued that Goodwin should prove that he owns the files before the court considers whether he should get them back. The feds also suggest that Goodwin might not own all the files he uploaded to the site—some of them were pirated copies of mainstream music.

Dumb question: if I no longer have access to my files, how can I prove that I own them?

But EFF's Julie Samuels argues that the government's tactics should frighten anyone who uses cloud computing services. Not only did the raid deprive Goodwin of his data, she said, but the government is now apparently rummaging through Goodwin's files looking for information to discredit him.

"The government's approach should terrify any user or provider of cloud computer services," Samuels told Ars by e-mail. "The government apparently searched through the data it seized for one purpose, in order to use it against someone who was hurt by its actions but who is plainly not the target of any criminal investigation, much less the one against Megaupload."

Samuels told us that the government's response to Goodwin's petition demonstrates "that if users try to get their property back, the government won't hesitate to comb through it to try to find an argument to use against them."

The government's position, she said, would impose a "virtually insurmountable burden" on innocent users seeking to get their files back by "asking the court to do a slow-walking, multi-step process that takes place in a faraway court. Most third parties are not in a position to attend even one court appearance, much less the multiple ones the government envisions."

There is no safer alternative than to keep your own stuff on your own storage media, located in a place controlled by you. Which is why 64GB Surface tablets just don't cut it.

Fabulous post :thumbup

People better take note of this stuff, I don't know how you can make it any clearer really. Mis-identified pictures disappearing from Skydrive, suspended accounts, the whole Mega fiasco with countless unrelated sites suddenly locking down access just to be sure. There soon will be no private property, and peer-to-peer communication if allowed will be monitored like a visit to a convict in prison.

The cloud is a proxy for traditional server overlords. Your position in that age-old client-server relationship has always been obedience and submission, with a side-order of begging the admin or sysop for favorable treatment. I for one do not welcome our new ( or old ) overlords.

vinifera

vinifera

<°)))><

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts
p2p will survive in form of magnet or simmiliar
some torrent hosts have switched to it as apparently magnet doesn't show IP's unlike torrent or gnutella type

as for cloud storage privacy, forget it, it was doomed the minute it was made up
If you want true Windows user experience
try Longhorn builds: 3718, 4029, 4066

CharlotteTheHarlot

CharlotteTheHarlot

MSFN Master

• 2,054 posts
Blue, Blue Everywhere ...

Is Microsoft making yet another careless mistake reminiscent of the Metro naming fiasco and the missing EU Windows 7 browser ballot? I think so. First, notice the numerous "Blue" stories, here are just a few ...

... A couple of Register commenters have noticed something I did as well. Lets step through this in order ...

<A> We've known all about their cloud services "Azure" since about 3 years now, Wikipedia: Windows Azure ( 2010-02-01 ).

<B> Then, almost exactly one year ago we had the new Windows Logo Microsoft Unveils a Brand New Windows Logo ( 2012-02-18 ) where they sacked the 4-color flag in favor of an IBM-like light blue last seen in Windows 1.0.
Spoiler

<C> Then we heard of Windows "Blue" a month after Windows 8 launch: Windows Blue is Microsoft's future low-cost OS with yearly updates ( 2012-11-28 ).

Now let's review what the color "Azure" actually is. Wikipedia: Azure (color)
Spoiler

Obviously: Azure == Blue ( color ) == Cloud Services == Windows "Blue" and other application Updates

So it should be pretty simple now to disregard as propaganda the Windows Update called "Blue" and instead associate it with Cloud instead. Perhaps finally the long suspected pushing of subscription models into all their products, in fact I'd say it is patently obvious this is the direction. First they offer both Office Desktop and Office 364, then phase out the workstation software as the company suicide proceeds. Then, take next product, rinse repeat, continue until all products are subscription and all normal users hate their guts. ( Ironically with the crazy pace of Windows releases at almost every 3 years since Win3x, you might say we already have a subscription model, just divide the price by 3 to see what your annual bill already is. The same exact thing can be said for Office obviously in the identical time frame. )

However, this isn't the mistake I was thinking about, though indeed the subscription thing is a mistake. No, the mistake ( also noticed by at least one Register commenter ) is the 3 year ongoing evolution to all things "Blue". IBM owns everything blue, at least in spirit but more likely in copyright as well. Big Blue is IBM, so perhaps Little Blue is Microsoft? The mistake is actually two-fold ... (1) another possible Metro-like trademark infringement, and (2) the obvious bad idea of opening up themselves to all manner of parody - BSOD ( blue screen of death ), Singing the Blues, and even the Titanic sinking in a Blue Ocean, "Code Blue". Okay, I'll start ...

Posted Image

EDIT: typos, someone suggested "Code Blue" :thumbup ( but I lost the reference to credit ), updated image URLs, and again

Edited by CharlotteTheHarlot, 06 May 2013 - 07:15 PM.

CharlotteTheHarlot

CharlotteTheHarlot

MSFN Master

• 2,054 posts
Someone's excited. Can you guess who ...

Actually some of the commenters at NeoWin say they called around and found out some stores like Best Buy only had a single unit in stock of each size ( ADDED: read the comments at Thurrott, I almost feel sorry for him :lol: ). That is exactly how you can manufacture a success story - limit initial shipments to ensure an immediate sellout. Then replenish the stock and say they are trying to meet demand! It's a no lose scenario. Similar tricks occur in politics. So in reality, release statistics or it didn't happen.

If we ever find out the actual numbers then they probably sold some units finally. If not ( remember that Surface RT still hasn't been released, so assume major fail ) then it's dead.

This post can be linked backed to later if the truth ever emerges.

Edited by CharlotteTheHarlot, 10 February 2013 - 12:24 AM.

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,110 posts

Spoiler

Obviously: Azure == Blue ( color ) == Cloud Services == Windows "Blue" and other application Updates

Great deductive work, Sherlock!(*) I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that you're right. Someone should pass the theory over to Mary Jo Foley or other Microsoft watchers, and see if it makes sense to them, or jibes with what they know.

As far as MSFT emulating IBM, at this point I wouldn't mind terribly if they shifted their focus to obscure enterprise services and sold their current business to somebody who cares to continue it.

But it WOULD be delicious if they got slapped with a suit for the "Blue" thing. Legend has it that, way back when, IBM dropped the ball on licensing DOS, figuring that the real money was in the hardware; so this would be a kind of payback.

--JorgeA

EDIT: (*) Meant as a compliment!!!

Edited by JorgeA, 10 February 2013 - 01:13 AM.

Formfiller

Formfiller

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 478 posts
I admit it, I don't quite "get" Paul Thurrott.

He makes his money primarily with Windows enthusiasts and Windows IT pros. If Microsoft's plan is to cater primarily to the Angry Birdies, this group of customers will die out. And the Angry Bird people sure won't buy Thurrott's books about Windows' internals, nor go to his websites. So why is he *so* emotionally invested in killing traditional Windows? Isn't that kinda self-defeating?

I don't think it's mere "Microsoft bribes". He almost orgasms in this article about the Surface:

http://winsupersite....ately-sells-out

Edited by Formfiller, 10 February 2013 - 06:12 AM.

TheBigBang

TheBigBang

• 14 posts

Blue, Blue Everywhere ...

Is Microsoft making yet another careless mistake reminiscent of the Metro naming fiasco and the missing EU Windows 7 browser ballot? I think so. First, notice the numerous "Blue" stories, here are just a few ...

... A couple of Register commenters have noticed something I did as well. Lets step through this in order ...

<A> We've known all about their cloud services "Azure" since about 3 years now, Wikipedia: Windows Azure ( 2010-02-01 ).

<B> Then, almost exactly one year ago we had the new Windows Logo Microsoft Unveils a Brand New Windows Logo ( 2012-02-18 ) where they sacked the 4-color flag in favor of an IBM-like light blue last seen in Windows 1.0.
Spoiler

<C> Then we heard of Windows "Blue" a month after Windows 8 launch: Windows Blue is Microsoft's future low-cost OS with yearly updates ( 2012-11-28 ).

Spoiler

So it should be pretty simple now to disregard as propaganda the Windows Update called "Blue" and instead associate it with Cloud instead. Perhaps finally the long suspected pushing of subscription models into all their products, in fact I'd say it is patently obvious this is the direction. First they offer both Office Desktop and Office 364, then phase out the workstation software as the company suicide proceeds. Then, take next product, rinse repeat, continue until all products are subscription and all normal users hate their guts. ( Ironically with the crazy pace of Windows releases at almost every 3 years since Win3x, you might say we already have a subscription model, just divide the price by 3 to see what your annual bill already is. The same exact thing can be said for Office obviously in the identical time frame. )

However, this isn't the mistake I was thinking about, though indeed the subscription thing is a mistake. No, the mistake ( also noticed by at least one Register commenter ) is the 3 year ongoing evolution to all things "Blue". IBM owns everything blue, at least in spirit but more likely in copyright as well. Big Blue is IBM, so perhaps Little Blue is Microsoft? The mistake is actually two-fold ... (1) another possible Metro-like trademark infringement, and (2) the obvious bad idea of opening up themselves to all manner of parody - BSOD ( blue screen of death ), Singing the Blues, and even the Titanic sinking in a Blue Ocean. Okay, I'll start ...

Posted Image

EDIT: typos

..yep, thats what Im talking about,bru.

Since w3.11, there is no such a numbness BSODs.
Take a look @ the near past:
BSOD,our cousin

..no doubt, culprit must b an Apple looks like, windows navigator :hello:

Edited by TheBigBang, 10 February 2013 - 07:15 AM.

Cheers!

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,266 posts
Question: Where are the clouds?
Answer: They are in the sky*.
Question: Which colour is the sky?
Answer: Blue.
Question: Very good, Timmy, do you know some other names for the colour of the sky?
Answer: Cyan, Azure.

The matter has been established overhearing a fifth grade class. :whistle:

JFYI, azzurro is not really a shade of blue in Italian, it has it's "own dignity", blu (or blue) corresponds to "navy blue".

jaclaz

*together with Lucy and diamonds :w00t:

OT, but not much ;) :

Yesterday you told me 'bout the blue, blue sky soft
And all that I can see is just a yellow lemon riping apple tree

ciHnoN

ciHnoN

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 153 posts

Donator

There is no safer alternative than to keep your own stuff on your own storage media, located in a place controlled by you. Which is why 64GB Surface tablets just don't cut it.

--JorgeA

If you can't touch it, you don't own it. :thumbup
He who laughs has not yet heard the bad news.

ciHnoN

ciHnoN

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 153 posts

Donator

People better take note of this stuff, I don't know how you can make it any clearer really. Mis-identified pictures disappearing from Skydrive, suspended accounts, the whole Mega fiasco with countless unrelated sites suddenly locking down access just to be sure. There soon will be no private property, and peer-to-peer communication if allowed will be monitored like a visit to a convict in prison.

The cloud is a proxy for traditional server overlords. Your position in that age-old client-server relationship has always been obedience and submission, with a side-order of begging the admin or sysop for favorable treatment. I for one do not welcome our new ( or old ) overlords.

Imagine:

Imagine there's no countries

Imagine no possessions

Globalization + Cloud services... are we there yet? Suddenly, this tune is feeling very creepy. :sneaky:

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,110 posts

--JorgeA

If you can't touch it, you don't own it. :thumbup

That's a great motto, I love it! :yes:

--JorgeA

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,110 posts

Imagine there's no countries

Imagine no possessions

Globalization + Cloud services... are we there yet? Suddenly, this tune is feeling very creepy. :sneaky:

You know, for a long time I've thought that the vision set out in that song is pretty horrible. (If there's nothing to kill or die for, then there's nothing to live for.) But now that you mention it, in some ways current trends in computing do seem to be pulling us in that direction. :ph34r:

Wow.

--JorgeA

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,110 posts

Question: Where are the clouds?
Answer: They are in the sky*.
Question: Which colour is the sky?
Answer: Blue.
Question: Very good, Timmy, do you know some other names for the colour of the sky?
Answer: Cyan, Azure.

The matter has been established overhearing a fifth grade class. :whistle:

JFYI, azzurro is not really a shade of blue in Italian, it has it's "own dignity", blu (or blue) corresponds to "navy blue".

jaclaz

*together with Lucy and diamonds :w00t:

OT, but not much ;) :

Yesterday you told me 'bout the blue, blue sky soft
And all that I can see is just a yellow lemon riping apple tree

:lol:

It's amazing that few (if anybody) anywhere, before @CharlotteTheHarlot, did make that connection, which now seems so obvious. Makes you go, "Dang, why didn't *I* think of that?" But the truth is that it wasn't so easy to make the connection, requiring mainly stepping back to take a wider look at the situation.

--JorgeA

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,110 posts

BSOD,our cousin

That was funny, I'd never seen that video.

Somebody expert should investigate your issue with all the Windows 8 BSOD's. I would be curious to know what's causing them.

--JorgeA

TheBigBang

TheBigBang

• 14 posts

BSOD,our cousin

Somebody expert should investigate your issue with all the Windows 8 BSOD's. I would be curious to know what's causing them.

--JorgeA

BSODs r not so frequent, but in regard of w7, :yes: they r..
e.g., in W7 BSOD never occurred.
Also, there is no rule, simply it happens without any logical conclusion, i.e. clue .

btw,I expect a 'BLUE' thing or SP1 would b a solution.

Edited by TheBigBang, 11 February 2013 - 08:29 PM.

Cheers!

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,110 posts
MSFN was down all day today (Monday). Gotta wonder if it didn't have something to do with word getting out to Win8 fans over at Neowin about our critique of Windows 8 here...

Hoping it was only a coincidence, but it's the second time this month that we've had SQL problems.

--JorgeA

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,110 posts

BSOD,our cousin

--JorgeA

Also, there is no rule, simply it happens without any logical conclusion, i.e. clue .

I'm no expert on such deep technical issues, but I'll look around and see what turns up with respect to Win8 and BSODs.

--JorgeA

TheBigBang

TheBigBang

• 14 posts

BSOD,our cousin

--JorgeA

I'm no expert on such deep technical issues, but I'll look around and see what turns up with respect to Win8 and BSODs.

--JorgeA

bru,10x a LOT, but..my oppinion, on a such delicate _M$_ issue, wolud b..(as u know)..there is no obligate worrying until SP1 came up.
I believe, all probs. would b settled down then.
In any case..it would b appreciated.
Cheers!

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,266 posts

MSFN was down all day today (Monday). Gotta wonder if it didn't have something to do with word getting out to Win8 fans over at Neowin about our critique of Windows 8 here...

Hoping it was only a coincidence, but it's the second time this month that we've had SQL problems.

--JorgeA

Yeah, sure, dont' forget to put your tin-foil surprisingly better hight tech material hat on. :whistle:
http://reboot.pro/to...ielding-device/

jaclaz

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,110 posts

--JorgeA

Yeah, sure, dont' forget to put your tin-foil surprisingly better hight tech material hat on. :whistle:

Nice try, jaclaz. ;)

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA, 12 February 2013 - 03:07 PM.

ciHnoN

ciHnoN

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 153 posts

Donator

My apologies for being totally off topic, dear CharlotteTheHarlot, how can I reach you outside this forum? I'm thinking, email. Is it possible? :angel The reason will remain unknown for now. :lol:

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,110 posts
One way to try making contact would be via a private forum message -- assuming that the Forum isn't down... :angel

Check out the gray convex stripe, near the top of the page, that starts across where it says you're "Signed is as _____"

Hope this helps!

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA, 12 February 2013 - 05:36 PM.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN