Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

MS Support for Vista Ending!

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

JorgeA

JorgeA

FORMAT B: /V /S

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,215 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10
Hello,

I just came across the following page indicating that, as of April 10 of this year, "mainstream suppport" for consumer versions of Vista will end, :o and there is no extended support period. Business editions will enjoy extended support through April 11, 2017. :(

Vista is the OS on my main PC -- the one I use for my work and to do most of my Web surfing. A couple of questions:

• Should I be concerned? Presumably, Windows Defender definitions would continue to come in, although other security updates and non-security fixes would not.
  • If the answer to 1 is Yes, then should I consider buying Vista Business (assuming that's even possible still)? If I did make that change, would I be losing any features from my Home Premium? I know that Business and Home Premium don't have the same feature sets, but I don't know if installing Business over Home Premium would remove Home Premium features that Business lacks.

Thanks in advance for any information on this.

--JorgeA

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,902 posts
  • Joined 28-April 06

Donator

This must be the link you mean!
http://support.micro...cycle/?c2=11732

:sneaky:

Breakdowns of the different support policies are here:
http://support.micro...m/gp/lifepolicy

It would appear that Vista Home Premium is not covered under the extended support lifecycle:
http://support.micro...cycle/?p1=11712

But its still likely that you'd get new updates, as you'd know Ultimate, Business and HP all share updates. I can't imagine that they would make an update for Business and not let it work on HP. As far as the differences, I think that Business is just Home Premium without Media Center.
MSFN RULES | GimageX HTA for PE 3-5 | lol probloms
msfn2_zpsc37c7153.jpg

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,567 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

the following page
Vista is the OS on my main PC -- the one I use for my work and to do most of my Web surfing. A couple of questions:

WHICH page? :whistle:

• Should I be concerned? Presumably, Windows Defender definitions would continue to come in, although other security updates and non-security fixes would not.
  • If the answer to 1 is Yes, then should I consider buying Vista Business (assuming that's even possible still)? If I did make that change, would I be losing any features from my Home Premium? I know that Business and Home Premium don't have the same feature sets, but I don't know if installing Business over Home Premium would remove Home Premium features that Business lacks.

You should:
  • be terrified :w00t: (not about the dropping support, rather by the futility of running Vista :ph34r: at all)
  • IF you are going to upgrade get a Windows 7 instead

As I personally see it, Vista :ph34r: is a bettered XP, only worse :angel, while 7 is a bettered Vista, actually bettered :thumbup.

Seriously, I also doubt that there will be any actual difference between the various editions when it comes to malware/security.

jaclaz

ricktendo

ricktendo

Group: Banned Members

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,309 posts
  • Joined 06-June 06
WOW! not even a sp3?

cluberti

cluberti

Gustatus similis pullus

• Supervisor
  • 11,252 posts
  • Joined 09-September 01
Well, no, no SP3 - not needed. As to updates, you'll still get security updates, but no more free support options (all support becomes paid), and any bugs found in Vista after that point will not be fixed.
MCTS Windows Internals, MCITP Server 2008 EA, MCTS MDT/BDD, MCSE/MCSA Server 2003, Server 2012, Windows 8
--------------------
Please read the rules before posting!
Please consider donating to MSFN to keep it up and running!

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,215 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10
Sorry jaclaz, I forgot to insert the link to the page -- and now I can't get back in there for some reason. The pages are loading slow as molasses and then stop with a "the page you requested is not available" error from Microsoft. :angry:

The information Tripredacus described matches what I read.

Good to know that security updates look like they'll continue after April 10.

Thanks guys, for the information. This is reassuring.

--JorgeA

UPDATE: I was finally able to go back into the Microsoft site tonight. Yes, the pages that Tripredacus linked to are pretty much the ones that I'd seen (the only small difference is that I was looking at the page for Vista Home Premium 64-bit Edition instead of the 32-bit version.

Edited by JorgeA, 27 January 2012 - 06:58 PM.

ND22

ND22

• 49 posts
  • Joined 16-January 08
I got Vista also, the business edition. End of support is for home, home premium and ultimate. Vista business and enterprise will be supported until 2017 according to this page:
http://en.wikipedia....i/Windows_Vista
or better still the table on this page:
http://en.wikipedia...._Vista_editions

Edited by ND22, 08 February 2012 - 02:20 AM.

UltimateSilence

UltimateSilence

• PipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Joined 19-November 11
You were so underrated, Vista. :(

yZo4FWG.png
Keep Windows XP alive!

Please do not misconstrue Windows 7 license sales as actual sales of the operating system. PCs are bundled with Windows 7, and count towards the sales figures.
Running Windows Vista on HP Pavilion Slimline.

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,215 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

I got Vista also, the business edition. End of support is for home, home premium and ultimate. Vista business and enterprise will be supported until 2017 according to this page:
http://en.wikipedia....i/Windows_Vista
or better still the table on this page:
http://en.wikipedia...._Vista_editions

ND22,

Thanks, that table gives the information in a much neater package than Microsoft's own pages.

--JorgeA

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,215 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

You were so underrated, Vista. :(

Yup.

The other day I wrote in another thread that Vista offered (IMHO) the prettiest interface of any Windows version I've used. For example, the Windows 7 taskbar is flat whereas Vista's has a convex look. I recently heard someone describe Win7 as "Vista Lite."

--JorgeA

vinifera

vinifera

<°)))><

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • Joined 27-August 09
well Win7's taskbar was in beggining simmiliar to vista's tho it had more gradient look (M1-M2 builds)

as for "lite", I agree here, AFAIK vista had frame rate issues with DWM, and honestly only with SP2 vista can be compared with Win7
for unknown reason it was slow to me, and quite unresponsive in some areas

not to mention that annoying copy and delete bug where they put calculating as priority more than doing the **** job itself ...
If you want true Windows user experience
try Longhorn builds: 3718, 4029, 4066

vinifera

vinifera

<°)))><

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • Joined 27-August 09
*small update

someone edited
http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?c2=11732
they prolonged the time now for all versions
If you want true Windows user experience
try Longhorn builds: 3718, 4029, 4066

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,215 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

*small update

someone edited

vinifera,

"Small update" indeed -- this is the BEST news I've heard this year!! :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup

"Mainstream support" is ending April 10, 2012, but "extended support" will now last five more years for ALL versions of Vista. Thanks for (finding and) reporting it!

--JorgeA

UltimateSilence

UltimateSilence

• PipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Joined 19-November 11

*small update

someone edited

vinifera,

"Small update" indeed -- this is the BEST news I've heard this year!! :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup

"Mainstream support" is ending April 10, 2012, but "extended support" will now last five more years for ALL versions of Vista. Thanks for (finding and) reporting it!

--JorgeA

I concur, JorgeA! :yes:
Long live Windows Vista.

Edited by UltimateSilence, 18 February 2012 - 12:56 AM.

yZo4FWG.png
Keep Windows XP alive!

Please do not misconstrue Windows 7 license sales as actual sales of the operating system. PCs are bundled with Windows 7, and count towards the sales figures.

cluberti

cluberti

Gustatus similis pullus

• Supervisor
  • 11,252 posts
  • Joined 09-September 01
This was always the case, but apparently the lifecycle page didn't include the info. This is good - at least the page is now accurate :).
MCTS Windows Internals, MCITP Server 2008 EA, MCTS MDT/BDD, MCSE/MCSA Server 2003, Server 2012, Windows 8
--------------------
Please read the rules before posting!
Please consider donating to MSFN to keep it up and running!

ND22

ND22

• 49 posts
  • Joined 16-January 08
Finally we may rejoice!! I also found Vista to be better at security than 7!

ppgrainbow

ppgrainbow

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • Joined 04-October 11
You probably haven't heard about this, but Microsoft has quietly extended consumer support for both Windows Vista and Windows 7 for five more years!

AVA Direct FX AM3+ specs: Zalman ZM Z9-U3 Black Mid-Tower case / ASUS M5A97 R2.0 / AMD FX-4300 3.8 GHz quad-core processor / Fractal Design Integra R2 500W PSU/ Hyper 212 EVO CPU cooler / Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1 TB (WD1003FZEX) SATA III 7200 RPM / Lite-On iHas124 Black 24x DVD-RW / 8 GB Crucual (2 x 4GB) Ballistix Sport PC3-12800 DDR3 RAM / EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 520 MHz 1 GB GDDR3 / Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate SP2 x64

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

after Windows 7 GA still Vista lover :)

• Patrons
  • 6,091 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

no, MS only updated the support pages because they were confusing and didn't show that also home editions get security updates when products are in extended support.
Posted Image

ppgrainbow

ppgrainbow

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • Joined 04-October 11

no, MS only updated the support pages because they were confusing and didn't show that also home editions get security updates when products are in extended support.

Really? I didn't know that by now.

AVA Direct FX AM3+ specs: Zalman ZM Z9-U3 Black Mid-Tower case / ASUS M5A97 R2.0 / AMD FX-4300 3.8 GHz quad-core processor / Fractal Design Integra R2 500W PSU/ Hyper 212 EVO CPU cooler / Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1 TB (WD1003FZEX) SATA III 7200 RPM / Lite-On iHas124 Black 24x DVD-RW / 8 GB Crucual (2 x 4GB) Ballistix Sport PC3-12800 DDR3 RAM / EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 520 MHz 1 GB GDDR3 / Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate SP2 x64

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,215 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

Really? I didn't know that by now.

Yeah, I didn't know that either. Reading the support page one sure got the impression that, as of April, Vista Home editions would be pretty much abandoned.

Anyway, this is a big relief.

--JorgeA

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,091 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

Reading the support page one sure got the impression that, as of April, Vista Home editions would be pretty much abandoned.

I think that's why MS changed it. But the time was not a good idea. Now some users think MS doesn't believe in Windows 8 :lol: MS has the talent make easy things complicated and this results in bad press :lol: :lol:
Posted Image

CoffeeFiend

CoffeeFiend

Coffee Aficionado

• Super Moderator
  • 5,399 posts
  • Joined 14-July 04

Now some users think MS doesn't believe in Windows 8 :lol:

Hey, MS wouldn't be alone not to believe in Win 8 :lol:

Personally, I'd rather pay the price of a Win8 license for another 10 years of continued support for Win7 x64... if only they would let us :(

As for Win8, unless they end up letting us disable Metro (we'll see for sure in a week's time), I wouldn't upgrade to it even if it was a free upgrade.
Coffee: \ˈkȯ-fē, ˈkä-\. noun. Heaven in a cup. Life's only treasure. The meaning of life. Kaffee ist wunderbar. C8H10N4O2 FTW.

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,215 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

As for Win8, unless they end up letting us disable Metro (we'll see for sure in a week's time), I wouldn't upgrade to it even if it was a free upgrade.

CoffeeFiend,

Yeah, they'd have to pay ME for the time I'd be wasting on the extra clicks needed to get so many useful things done.

--JorgeA

UltimateSilence

UltimateSilence

• PipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Joined 19-November 11
I am assuming that mainstream Windows Vista SP2 support will end in April of this year? However, this article states...

Prior to this change in policy, Mainstream Support for Windows Vista would have run out in April of this year. Support for all users has now been extended through to 2017. Windows 7 was originally looking at a Mainstream Support end-date of 2015.

I am hoping it is true. Vista deserves longer mainstream support...

yZo4FWG.png
Keep Windows XP alive!

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,091 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

no, both don't get a longer mainstream support. All those articles are wrong. MS never extended the support, they only updated to website to show that also home editions get updates because most users incorrectly assumed that they no longer get security fixes.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users