No letter assigned with USB external Device (98SE SP3.0 related?)

CharlesF

Hi,

I start this new thread to avoid to bloat more the main 'Win98SE SP3.0 Final' one.

I have got a bug with U98SESP3 (I used the 01-23-2012 update).

Because my PC has a french Windows (98SE / SESP30B4b-fr / KernelEx 4.5.2 / NUSB 3.5 / Revolutions Pack 9.7.2) , I didn't simply run the exe (I don't think every string would be OK),

but replace manually one by one the updated (& non-localized) files I have found.

(Never put any new file.)

Here is the list of my last attempt:

* C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\

CABINET.DLL 5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2105)

MSSTDFMT.DLL 6.01.9782

MSVBVM60.DLL 6.00.9832

MSXML.DLL 8.00.7002.0

MSXML3.DLL 8.100.1052.0

USP10.DLL 1.0471.4063.0 (main.040204-2030)

* C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\IOSUBSYS\

CDFS.VXD 4.90.3002

CDTSD.VXD 4.90.3001

DISKTSD.VXD 4.90.3001

DISKVSD.VXD 4.90.3002

(CDVSD.VXD was already 4.90.3004).

* C:\Program Files\Fichiers communs\Microsoft Shared\TEXTCONV\

MSCONV97.DLL 2003.1100.8202

* C:\Program Files\Fichiers communs\Microsoft Shared\TRIEDIT\

DHTMLED.OCX 6.01.9247

No file was replaced in C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS, because AFAIK this directory is only used for backup.

My problem: after it, plug & play for any USB key or external USB HD is broken.

The device is recognized, but no letter is assigned, so I cannot open (access) it!

Look at screenshot:

In contrast, if the same device is plugged *before* the boot, it's running correctly:

I have already restored every single file from the list above to his original version,

and then restored a previous registry backup, but the bug is still here :} .

I have also tried to reinstall 'on the top' the NUSB 3.5, but without success :( .

Does someone could help me, plz.

Thanks in advance.

Charles :) .

Edited by CharlesF

No file was replaced in C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS, because AFAIK this directory is only used for backup.

If I am not mistaken files in that directory are used by the windows installer instead of the same files that are in the cab archives so it's possible to reinstall without downgrading anything if all the newer ones are in that dir. (I haven't installed/reinstalled since many years though so I might be wrong eventually.)

Thanks for the answer loblo,

but does it explain my problem? :unsure:

I don't think so infortunately. :}

The problem must lie in some SP3 file that is not any of the localized ones you've updated and reverted manually IMO.

It's not too clear if the problem has occured only after you've done your manual update.

Edited by loblo

It's not too clear if the problem has occured only after you've done your manual update.

I keep each older file at his place by renaming it xxx.xxx-OLD

so it is easy for me to know what was changed.

I use an USB key that I connect at least once a day (to bring back some stuff from my office).

That's why I have seen exactly when the problem has started.

As I said in my first post, I have "replace(d) manually one by one the updated (& non-localized) files I have found".

That is to say:

I didn't replaced any localized file, updating in my OS *only* what was 'english' file or 'language-independent'.

Ok then I understand now. The title of this thread is very misleading as it gives the impression you've installed the SP3 which you did not. Furthermore, since you've reverted back all the files from the SP3 you've updated manually, there is IMO not a chance that the SP is responsable for the problem and you perhaps shouldn't make a thread with a title saying so categorically there is a bug with it. Something else must have hapened to your system and I have obviously no clue what it is, good luck finding it out.

Just as loblo said, technically SP3 didn't cause the problems you have encountered.

since you have done everything manually you are at fault. I really can't help you on this one because

1. I don't know the exact changes you made.

2. I don't have a french version of windows.

I'm sorry that I can't help you.

My verifications to Spanish Version :blink:

Be careful when doing this that I say

Solution from USB Broken Drivers

My Reply

for http://exuberant.ms11.net/sp162fl.html

It usbser.sys 4.10.2224 to KB308349

Restore or downgrade usbser.sys

I'm wrong

The file was failing Usbehci.sys

I clarify for anyone reading my message

Reference

1º Download maximun Exuberant W98 SP2.1e or KB308349 U98SESP3 Future Version post 06-02-12

2º Install " Main Updates"

4º Restart

5º Device Manager -> USB Host Controller or similar from Bug/Error -> Properties -> Update Driver -> Location manually locate -> folder precopy

6º Forced install

7º Ask you to replace old file again -> OK!

8º Automatically detect Chipst, and USB Drives installs..

There are computers where it works perfectly and others where it fails, not because I'm not a programmer, I would like to be ..

pd: PROBLEMCHYLD U98SESP3 02-06-2012 FIX IT

Edited by gerislamico

Do you have a registry backup from before the changes? If so, back up your present registry and load in the old registry. It could be something as simple as a bad or missing entry.

From my 1st post:

I have already restored every single file from the list above to his original version,
and then restored a previous registry backup, but the bug is still here .

@gerislamico:

Thanks for that!

I will try it.

gerislamico may well be right... and in case he is, I cannot resist telling you: "I said so!" :P

- usbser.sys 5.1.2600.5512 (from XP-SP3)

Well, Drugwash, IMO what blorked your system was the .inf inside USB20DRV. Of course the files it contains are OK for your system, provided USBSTOR.INF is edited to load WDMSTUB.SYS with USBSTOR.SYS. Now, adding the untested (AFAIK) USBSER.SYS from XP SP3 didn't help any, either. Fact is, I tested it with WDMCHECK.EXE, and it turns out to have the same 3 unsatisfied dependencies that the USBSTOR.SYS (v. 5.0.2195.6773) from USB20DRV has. On the bright side it means it should work, provided it's also loaded with WDMSTUB.SYS, and this means finding the .inf that sets its registry entry and editing it too. The downside is it may be more than one .inf... USBSER.SYS is for the USB virtual serial port, which is mostly used to support USB modems, AFAIK. Here's a screenshot of WDMCHECK's output:

post-134642-0-62558200-1312678196.jpg

I *think* the relevant file is USBCDC.INF, which must be edited in 3 places...

I *think* the relevant file is USBCDC.INF, which must be edited in 3 places...

Maybe a good idea to update USBCDC.INF. gerislamico also found this was not the problem but USBEHCI.SYS was the cause (this post). I will probably put back the WinXP of USBSER.SYS version since this was not the actual cause. Please note the Service Pack is set to load WDMSTUB.SYS automatically so we don't have problems in the future.