Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

No letter assigned with USB external Device (98SE SP3.0 related?)

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,567 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

Thanks everyone. I used the site from submix8c and found this diagram. My usb cable only has pins up to pin 8. According to this it looks like I need 9 and 10 which seems strange. I guess I need a different cable.

No.
Pin 9 is "KEY" i.e. it is not connected and used to identify the pins layout.
http://pinouts.ru/Sl...SB_pinout.shtml
A single USB port has 4 (four) pins (just as a USB cable has four wires):
  • USB Power +5V
  • USB Data -
  • USB Data +
  • USB Ground (0V)
Those are 1/3/5/7 in the image you posted for first port (USB0) and Pins 2/4/6/8 for second port (USB1).
See also (beware, the pin numbers are different, but the concept is the same):
http://forums.anandt...d.php?t=1581820

jaclaz

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

dencorso

dencorso

Iuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Supervisor
  • 5,945 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

jaclaz is right (of course!): pin 9 is "KEY", being usually not connected (viz. "NC"), or, less commonly, grounded. Now, pin 10 is absent (= missing), so that one can immediately recognize which pin is pin 9 (because it's the only one that has no conterpart). Reversing "Data +" and "Data -" causes the port not to work, but usually causes no damage, so it can be corrected (this seems to me to be the problem with your machine). Now, reversing "Power +5V" and "Ground" can kill the motherboard, so take care with what you do, and don't do anything unless you're sure of what you're doing! :ph34r:

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,327 posts
  • Joined 14-September 05
OK, link I gave has somewhat confusing "acronyms" for Pinout. Dencorso's picture and Jaclaz' link is more "correct". Your Connector has only two items lacking (Pin#9/Pin#10) that are (probably) irrelevant (as Dencorso points out). A "full 10-pin" adapter has a "plug" in the Pin#9 position and an actual "Hole" in Pin#10 position to prevent EXACTLY what Dencorso is warning you about, somewhat akin to the "later" IDE and Floppy cable connectors. BEWARE if your Connector is one of the "oddball" reversed-connector-adapters (like some older Tyan MoBo's).

Edited by submix8c, 03 May 2013 - 10:41 AM.

Someday the tyrants will be unthroned... Jason "Jay" Chasteen; RIP, bro!

Posted Image

farfigs11

farfigs11

Junior

• Pip
  • 54 posts
  • Joined 29-October 12
I'm going to put the MB in other case or install XP and see if it works. right now it has trouble loading the drivers for anything I plug in--code 2 and happily assigns the unknown device from the sp3 inf.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users