Future versions of Firefox on Windows 2000

ppgrainbow

Hi,

The version is not kernel version but also runtime package version.

If you install later v7 kernel , plz use the package for Windows 2000 Ex Kernel version.

(It was explained on my blog)

@BlackWingCat:

Hello.

I see on your site two different files

(KB2639247)Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 SP1 Redistributable Package v6 (for Windows 2000)

(KB2639247)Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 SP1 Redistributable Package v3 (for Windows 2000 Ex Kernel)

I am unsure of the difference and what is meant by "Ex Kernel". Is the v6 file to be used WITH your Kernel installed and the v3 to be used WITHOUT your Kernel installed? Or do I have that backwards?

Or am I completely off-base and it has nothing to do with having your Kernel updates installed?

I am just looking into this because it is getting close to the June 5 release and I am not that familiar with installing any of the major Kernel updates available. My experience to date has only been with using the KDW wrapper to get around the adobe Flash installer issue.

Thank you

blackwingcat:

thanks for getting back to me, I think I understand the process now.

If installing your KB2639247 WITHOUT first installing the kernel package then use Package v6 (for Windows 2000)

If installing your KB2639247 AFTER ALSO installing your kernel package then use Package v3 (for Windows 2000 Ex Kernel)

I realize it was explained on your blog, but it is difficult to understand sometimes with the translation to english.

You mention "If you install later v7 kernel". Do you mean if installing kernel version v7 or later? I have been able to find kernel v5b, v10b, v13i, and v15r available in english versions. Is there one that you would recommend installing to correct the firefox v13 issue of this thread?

Thanks again for your work and help.

blackwingcat:

thanks for getting back to me, I think I understand the process now.

If installing your KB2639247 WITHOUT first installing the kernel package then use Package v6 (for Windows 2000)

If installing your KB2639247 AFTER ALSO installing your kernel package then use Package v3 (for Windows 2000 Ex Kernel)

I realize it was explained on your blog, but it is difficult to understand sometimes with the translation to english.

You mention "If you install later v7 kernel". Do you mean if installing kernel version v7 or later? I have been able to find kernel v5b, v10b, v13i, and v15r available in english versions. Is there one that you would recommend installing to correct the firefox v13 issue of this thread?

Thanks again for your work and help.

Hi ,

That's right.

v3 and v6 are only installer Package version.

Edited by blackwingcat

• 1 month later...

Could anyone check if there's a problem in Firefox after resuming Win2k from Standby? In my case the UI is frozen and the browser must be restarted to start working again.

It seems there is a problem on VGA Driver.

Which version do you use ?

Could anyone check if there's a problem in Firefox after resuming Win2k from Standby? In my case the UI is frozen and the browser must be restarted to start working again.

Do you mean system files (videoprt.sys?) or the graphics driver?

If you mean the graphics driver, I've got GF6600 and use these drivers:

http://downloads.guru3d.com/DNA-Force-3.6.9424--%2832-bit%29-download-1682.html

I use them because they work perfectly for 2 monitors connected while the official ones don't. I may try different drivers if they are the case... but it's only Firefox which has got this problem. It doesn't occur in other browsers, ex. Opera or Chromium.

I means the graphics driver version.

Same Problem as you occured when I use Old graphic drive. and I changed the performance setting.

Do you mean system files (videoprt.sys?) or the graphics driver?

If you mean the graphics driver, I've got GF6600 and use these drivers:

http://downloads.guru3d.com/DNA-Force-3.6.9424--%2832-bit%29-download-1682.html

I use them because they work perfectly for 2 monitors connected while the official ones don't. I may try different drivers if they are the case... but it's only Firefox which has got this problem. It doesn't occur in other browsers, ex. Opera or Chromium.

• 3 weeks later...

I've updated the mozillaZine topic. It's now possible to install newer versions of Firefox after adding a small registry "fix" and thanks to a user xabolcs we've now got an addon which makes it possible to use the auto update function :) Thanks to this addon you can actually update your Firefox 12 (or older) installation to the newest one (but you still need to have UURollup/BWC kernel installed and uxtheme.dll placed in Firefox folder to run the newer versions).

@blackwingcat

Thanks. I'll check a different driver and let you know about the result.

Edited by tomasz86

I means the graphics driver version.

Same Problem as you occured when I use Old graphic drive. and I changed the performance setting.

I can't say for 100% sure yet but I think the problem doesn't happen any more in the newest Firefox Aurora version :) so it seems that there was something wrong in Firefox itself. I'm still using the same graphic drivers.

Edited by tomasz86