Run as admin

Octopuss

My colleague just told me that in Windows 7 I should install EVERYTHING by right clicking on the exe and going wiht "Install as admin" option, else lots of things would not be installed or written into registry.

Is there any truth to this? He said that run as admin is more than being logged in as local administrator account.

This is first time I heard about this, so I am fairly confused now.

My colleague just told me that in Windows 7 I should install EVERYTHING by right clicking on the exe and going wiht "Install as admin" option, else lots of things would not be installed or written into registry.

AFAIK having an administrator account you only need it when your administrator condition is not automatically recognized by the install program.

HTH

it is specially for stopping unnecessary registration of virus in windows registry . i hav switched off it .. if you are making some application that uses registry to read values it might be better if you switched it to .ini or .xml

The only local policy setting I have changed is to disable the Protected Desktop, which my video card doesn't seem to like. As an Administrator account, usually the only program that requires elevation are the ones that have the shield on them. But even then, if you just did a double-click, it would prompt for elevation. The problem is with poorly written programs OR programs that were made before UAC was being used. In those cases, you may be able to discern a different between normal and elevated function.

As a blanket rule that you should run EVERYTHING as Administrator is a bad idea. You should be familiar enough with your applications or installers to determine whether or not you need/want them to run elevated.

Well, he claims that for example Intel chipset drivers DON'T install fully/correctly under Windows7 UNLESS you run the setup.exe as admin. I find that a bit hard to believe, or rather think it's nonsense.

I always thought there was nothing above local administrator permissions.