Classic Start Menu?

UltimateSilence

I was wondering if there was a way to get the classic Start Menu in Windows 7? I know there are programs such as Classic Shell, but I hate the idea of running an application for a feature which, IMHO, should not have been removed. It sort of gives me that "incomplete" feel...

I guess there's no way to port it from Vista? (Apologies for my child-like curiosity, it's just never something I thought about until I used 7).

Just consider Classic Shell as the same as porting it back from Vista, only better. Try it. You can always remove it if you really don't like it.

Cheers and Regards

It is possible to port it from Vista?

I am using Classic Shell, but it feels so...imperfect knowing that it isn't a "part" of the operating system, and that it can be closed at any time. :ph34r:

Edited by UltimateSilence

• 1 month later...

Two I know of; try Google:

ClassicShellSetup_3_4_1.exe

ClassicStartMenu_Setup_3_88_PRO.exe

I've been using Classic Shell and would recommend it.

Ditto, here.

Might even test the IE9 add-on that makes it less suck-tastic.

Avoided it on my desktop, lasted 45 mins on my laptop, ugh what a horrific interface.

Dear M-soft, if I wanted Chrome, I'd download it...WTH are you guys doing?

• 2 months later...

no, code removed = no GPO can reactivate it.

Where is it stated that the code was removed? I am aware of the article that says the policy setting does not apply to Windows 7.

5 days before Windows 7 RTM, a post was made, stating:

"The Classic Start Menu does in fact exist if forced with group policy. I have connected several "7" machines to a corporate domain which does use this group policy setting for certain of our user groups and the classic menu appears."

Has anybody tried?

I am using Classic Shell, but it feels so...imperfect knowing that it isn't a "part" of the operating system, and that it can be closed at any time. :ph34r:

I know you are a "purist" and only want to use MS written code, even if you have to port it in from an alternate MS OS, (a third party approach if you think about it), but once the underlying code that supports that code has also been removed, then you're just going to have to accept that you are not going to be able to accomplish what you want. Besides, I would think that using a third party approach like ClassicShell, which is designed and intended to be installed in Win7 and Win8, will be more robust, reliable and flexible than trying to shoehorn older MS code in to a place where it was not designed to be, in fact was purposefully removed from and efforts were made to not allow it to be put back. ClassicShell is both Free and Open Source. Even if were closed, anyone can pick up the source and continue their efforts. ClassicShell even lists their "competitors", with links, if you would prefer to check them out. A member of their staff also participates on this board. The only thing that can really "stop" ClassicShell, temporarily, is MS removing more code or putting up more roadblocks, which would also effect code ported in from other MS OS even if it did work now, such as what happened without advance notice prior to Win7 RTM and what happened again between the early releases of Win8. I wouldn't worry about ClassicShell being removed as much as I worry about MS changing their minds about what features they're going to revamp next week.

And I guess as a purist, you also don't use any third party code like Java or Flash since they are not part of the OS? Not to mention not being able to play DVD's if you decide to try Win8?

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt