• Announcements

• xper

MSFN Sponsorship and AdBlockers!   07/10/2016

Dear members, MSFN is made available via subscriptions, donations and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, become a site sponsor and ads will be disabled automatically and by subscribing you get other sponsor benefits.
UltimateSilence

Why Windows Vista (SP1+) is Better Than Windows 7

38 posts in this topic

-Improved keyboard shortcuts for those of us who use the keyboard a lot

This was one of my absolute favourite, favourite, favourite things I discovered about Windows 7 when I was keeping up with the leaked builds during development. I almost cried with delight.

@xpclient

You should still be able to run all of these in Vista with some tricks. I found this post on a Polish forum where someone managed to run IE10 Preview in Vista by just copying the files manually.

ie10_vista_jpg_300x300_q85.jpg

@xpclient

You should still be able to run all of these in Vista with some tricks. I found this post on a Polish forum where someone managed to run IE10 Preview in Vista by just copying the files manually.

tomasz86,

Wow, no kidding!? You can simply copy the IE10 files over to Vista, and it will work? That sounds so MS-DOS. :thumbup

This is amazing. But, doesn't IE10 have to get "installed" in some way? I can see the method working if you launch IE10 directly (from a shortcut that you manually created, or in Windows Explorer), but what happens if you click on a link in a Windows Help file, or on a link in an e-mail? In those cases I have to think that Vista would use the "official" installed version of IE, right?

Very interesting!

--JorgeA

I hate the way Microsoft has poorly supported Vista (and Server 2008). Both should have got SP3.
An FYI (and as an opinion only) - Vista, 2K8, and Win7(?) were the last to have x86 versions. 2K8-R2 and anything newer tends toward x64 apparently due to marketing of new hardware. They just don't want to bother anymore (IMHO). XP was lucky to get an SP3.

@JorgeA

He simply said that he'd copied IE10 files from Windows 7 where it had been first installed :)

@xpclient

Tomasz86, that's amazing! I'm going to try it out tomorrow.

Thank you for sharing. I felt bad because Vista was left out.

Plus, MS won't support the following on Vista SP2:

- IE10

this is a good thing. I hat IE9/10 (because of the horrible font rendering) and I'll stay for ever at IE8 and use Firefox instead.

- Paint.NET 4.0 (because its developer is an MS fanboy)

replace fanboy with Employee ;)

problem with copying IE 10 files over IE 8 (or whichever)

is that you lose all buttons and menu's with it

all you get is "fullscreen" app which is quite useless if you ask me

I'd rather see portable of IE9 or 10

having that thing running freely makes me creep

@xpclient

Tomasz86, that's amazing! I'm going to try it out tomorrow.

Thank you for sharing. I felt bad because Vista was left out.

not sure if this can be accomplished with IE 10 final. MS hasn't yet released a final version of IE 10 for Win7 and Win8 has already been RTM'ed (aka. finalized). IE 10 final could be a little different than IE 10 preview.

If I had any interest in IE10, I'd try the solution Tomasz86 suggested when the final version is ready. But as it is, I'm sticking with IE8 because it's the last version with a fully functional status bar.

--JorgeA

Good read! I have had mixed experiences with windows Vista I moved from an old 98 that was upgraded to XP to Windows Vista and thought it was the greatest thing. I mostly had trouble with drivers and copying/moving files it seemed like it took a long time to copy files. I do agree with the article writer about the missing programs AKA Windows Live Essentials I liked it better when they just came bundled with Windows.