Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Why Windows Vista (SP1+) is Better Than Windows 7

- - - - -

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
37 replies to this topic

Skywatcher

Skywatcher

• 10 posts

-Improved keyboard shortcuts for those of us who use the keyboard a lot

This was one of my absolute favourite, favourite, favourite things I discovered about Windows 7 when I was keeping up with the leaked builds during development. I almost cried with delight.

Creator of the Windows On Windows® YouTube series: a build-by-build investigation into the development of the world's most widely-used operating system.

Windows Vista (Codename "Longhorn") now in progress!

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts
@xpclient
You should still be able to run all of these in Vista with some tricks. I found this post on a Polish forum where someone managed to run IE10 Preview in Vista by just copying the files manually.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Unofficial Service Pack 5.2 for MS Windows 2000 <- use this topic if you need help with UURollup, Update Rollup 2 and other unofficial packages

JorgeA

JorgeA

FORMAT B: /V /S

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,144 posts

@xpclient
You should still be able to run all of these in Vista with some tricks. I found this post on a Polish forum where someone managed to run IE10 Preview in Vista by just copying the files manually.

tomasz86,

Wow, no kidding!? You can simply copy the IE10 files over to Vista, and it will work? That sounds so MS-DOS. :thumbup

This is amazing. But, doesn't IE10 have to get "installed" in some way? I can see the method working if you launch IE10 directly (from a shortcut that you manually created, or in Windows Explorer), but what happens if you click on a link in a Windows Help file, or on a link in an e-mail? In those cases I have to think that Vista would use the "official" installed version of IE, right?

Very interesting!

--JorgeA

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,276 posts

I hate the way Microsoft has poorly supported Vista (and Server 2008). Both should have got SP3.

An FYI (and as an opinion only) - Vista, 2K8, and Win7(?) were the last to have x86 versions. 2K8-R2 and anything newer tends toward x64 apparently due to marketing of new hardware. They just don't want to bother anymore (IMHO). XP was lucky to get an SP3.

Someday the tyrants will be unthroned... Jason "Jay" Chasteen; RIP, bro!

Posted Image

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,520 posts
@JorgeA
He simply said that he'd copied IE10 files from Windows 7 where it had been first installed :)
Posted Image
Unofficial Service Pack 5.2 for MS Windows 2000 <- use this topic if you need help with UURollup, Update Rollup 2 and other unofficial packages

UltimateSilence

UltimateSilence

• PipPip
  • 169 posts

@xpclient

Posted Image

Tomasz86, that's amazing! I'm going to try it out tomorrow.
Thank you for sharing. I felt bad because Vista was left out.

yZo4FWG.png
Keep Windows XP alive!

Please do not misconstrue Windows 7 license sales as actual sales of the operating system. PCs are bundled with Windows 7, and count towards the sales figures.
Running Windows Vista on HP Pavilion Slimline.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

after Windows 7 GA still Vista lover :)

• Patrons
  • 6,021 posts

Donator

Plus, MS won't support the following on Vista SP2:
- IE10

this is a good thing. I hat IE9/10 (because of the horrible font rendering) and I'll stay for ever at IE8 and use Firefox instead.

- Paint.NET 4.0 (because its developer is an MS fanboy)

replace fanboy with Employee ;)
Posted Image

vinifera

vinifera

<°)))><

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts
problem with copying IE 10 files over IE 8 (or whichever)
is that you lose all buttons and menu's with it
all you get is "fullscreen" app which is quite useless if you ask me
If you want true Windows user experience
try Longhorn builds: 3718, 4029, 4066

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

after Windows 7 GA still Vista lover :)

• Patrons
  • 6,021 posts

Donator

you can build an unofficial IE 10 with real GUI (IE9 GUI files):

http://news.softpedi...ta-163569.shtml
http://blogs.technet...uper-alpha.aspx
Posted Image

vinifera

vinifera

<°)))><

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts
I'd rather see portable of IE9 or 10
having that thing running freely makes me creep
If you want true Windows user experience
try Longhorn builds: 3718, 4029, 4066

erpdude8

erpdude8

MSFN Master

• 2,139 posts

@xpclient

Posted Image

Tomasz86, that's amazing! I'm going to try it out tomorrow.
Thank you for sharing. I felt bad because Vista was left out.

not sure if this can be accomplished with IE 10 final. MS hasn't yet released a final version of IE 10 for Win7 and Win8 has already been RTM'ed (aka. finalized). IE 10 final could be a little different than IE 10 preview.

JorgeA

JorgeA

FORMAT B: /V /S

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,144 posts
If I had any interest in IE10, I'd try the solution Tomasz86 suggested when the final version is ready. But as it is, I'm sticking with IE8 because it's the last version with a fully functional status bar.

--JorgeA

userThree

userThree
  • 3 posts
Good read! I have had mixed experiences with windows Vista I moved from an old 98 that was upgraded to XP to Windows Vista and thought it was the greatest thing. I mostly had trouble with drivers and copying/moving files it seemed like it took a long time to copy files. I do agree with the article writer about the missing programs AKA Windows Live Essentials I liked it better when they just came bundled with Windows.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN