for in CMD scripts

The pause is good. I will use the script more times, so to be sure the path is OK.

Note: The script sometimes leave extra _ in begin of filename and sometimes it removes one more letter (that should not be deleted) from begin of string. The second problem is not often, so not much problem. I don't want to bother you with it. But I have one more question I need to ask, in different thread.

Edited by DosCode

Right now this happened to me with these files:

gen_0_3.pdf

gen_2_1.pdf

gen_4_1.pdf

gen_4_2.pdf

so the

FOR /F "TOKENS=*" %%# IN ('DIR/B/S/A-D "gen_*.pdf"') DO CALL :RN "%%#" "%%~nx#"
GOTO :BREAK
:RN
SET "_FN=%~2"
::ECHO=
REN %1 "%_FN:~7%"
:BREAK

causes they are renamed to

.pdf

.pdf

.pdf

.pdf

Edited by DosCode

Those files don't follow your original specification!

This may suffice for that scenario:

@ECHO OFF
SETLOCAL ENABLEEXTENSIONS
FOR /F "TOKENS=*" %%# IN ('DIR/B/S/A-D "gen_*.pdf"') DO CALL :RN "%%#" "%%~nx#"
GOTO :EOF
:RN
SET "_FN=%~2"
REN %1 "%_FN:~4%"

With all due respect, DosCode, what you're interested in are "CMD Scripts", not "DOS Batch Files". Your insistence in using "DOS batch" in the titles of your threads is misleading, so please do use "CMD Script" not "DOS Batch" for any new topic you start in the future. Thanks.

Does the number "4" at last line mean how the search string is long? I mean gen_ has 4 letters

I believe that you have already been referred to the website "ss64.com", but you might want to read this page - http://ss64.com/nt/syntax-substring.html - which explains in detail how to "extract part of a variable (substring)".

Cheers and Regards

Does the number "4" at last line mean how the search string is long? I mean gen_ has 4 letters

SET /?

%PATH:~10,5%

would expand the PATH environment variable, and then use only the 5 characters that begin at the 11th (offset 10) character of the expanded result. If the length is not specified, then it defaults to the remainder of the variable value