I can't confirm how successful 'WdmStub' is in this regard, but I have found some useful information about it for anyone wishing to try it.
Now, 'WdmStub' is a "sample/example" filter driver that was/is included in Walter Oney's book, "Programming the Microsoft Windows Driver Model". Note that 'WdmStub' was originally written as a VXD driver, and you can find a link to this version at the Internet Archive, as posted by dencorso here : http://www.msfn.org/...post__p__986791
For the current version of 'WdmStub', you can obtain just the SYS file (and a few associated files that you can discard, however, you should keep 'wdmcheck.exe') as follows :
1. Create a directory structure "Something\AppendixA\Newstub\objchk_wxp_x86\i386"
2. Download 'wdmbook2_3.exe' from : http://web.archive.o...com/newpack.htm
3. Run 'wdmbook2_3.exe' and point it at the "Something" directory
4. Click through all the error messages due to missing paths
BTW, the licensing of 'WdmStub' basically says that you need to ask Walter Oney for permission to redistribute it and that he will grant this subject to some non-monetary conditions to ensure the quality of the end result.
OK, now that you have 'WdmStub.sys', how to use it?
Basically, you need to edit the INF file for the driver you are trying to install, identify the section that is invoked by the "AddReg=" directive, and add the following line to that section :
(where 'yourdvr.sys' is the name of the driver binary that needs assistance).
You also need to add 'wdmstub.sys' to the section invoked by the "CopyFiles=" directive or manually pre-copy it to the same destination directory as "yourdvr.sys" (possibly "c:\windows\system32\drivers").
Finally, for the technically minded, you can obtain all the contents of the companion CD to Walter Oney's book, except stuff restricted by licensing conditions, as follows:
1. Download '9780735618039_files.zip' via the "Download Example Code" link at : http://shop.oreilly....780735618039.do
2. Download 'wdmbook2.exe' (despite its name, this is the "cumulative service pack 3" update) via : http://web.archive.o...com/newpack.htm
3. Unzip "9780735618039_files" and apply the "wdmbook2" update to the "Samples" subdirectory.
1. The '9780735618039_files.zip' file is huge because it also includes IE6SP1!
2. When you apply the updates, you will encounter an error due to a missing path "objchk"; create it by duplicating the corresponding "objchk_wxp_x86" directory and re-apply the update.
3. If you don't want to download the huge ZIP file, you can select what you want via O'Reilly Media's german site at : http://examples.orei...39/cd_contents/ (excepting 'ServicePack.htm', 'wdmbook.htm' and 'wdmwiz.awx', which can be obtained from the 'wdmbook2.exe' or 'wdmbook2_3.exe' updates).
4. If you need to add more stubs or implement more functions in "WdmStub", Walter Oney requests that you contact him about including them in the official release.
Additional references/resources :
1. Links to Windows Driver Model articles
2. Driver compatibility issues for W9X
3. minf - minimize an INF file
4. New licensing conditions
5. WdmCheck info. and download link (also see update packs above)
1. Minor corrections and details added.
2. Corrected syntax error (extra comma), as identified here.
3. Added "Additional references/resources" section.
4. Added link to new licensing conditions.
5. Changed OneySoft links to Internet Archive copies (Walter has retired).
6. Added link for WdmCheck.
This post has been edited by jds: 10 April 2013 - 11:33 PM