Seagate Momentus 5400.6 st9500325as (Freeagent Go)

Hi, I have been using a Seagate Freeagent GO for about 3 years with no problems until yesterday.

I opened it up finding a Seagate Momentus 5400.6 500GB Hard Drive st9500325as

Symptoms:

1.- Suddenly it disappeared from My Computer, then I tried to find it in the Device Manager with no success. After that I went to diskmgmt.msc to see if I can see it. No luck with that either.

2.- When I plug it in, It spins fine (I guess by hearing it closely)

3.- After plugging it in,It beeps 2 times about 1 second in between each beep.

4.- After the 2 beeps one can hear the arm moving like trying to find a sector but after about 5 seconds of this repeated action it stops spinning.

Now I have no idea how to recover this drive. What could I do?

Hi, I have been using a Seagate Freeagent GO for about 3 years with no problems until yesterday.

I opened it up finding a Seagate Momentus 5400.6 500GB Hard Drive st9500325as

Symptoms:

1.- Suddenly it disappeared from My Computer, then I tried to find it in the Device Manager with no success. After that I went to diskmgmt.msc to see if I can see it. No luck with that either.

2.- When I plug it in, It spins fine (I guess by hearing it closely)

3.- After plugging it in,It beeps 2 times about 1 second in between each beep.

4.- After the 2 beeps one can hear the arm moving like trying to find a sector but after about 5 seconds of this repeated action it stops spinning.

Now I have no idea how to recover this drive. What could I do?

From what you report the disk is in BSY state.

To check whether it is spinning or not do this:

After three years and having not (AFAIK) the 5400.6 a "common, known" kind of manufacturing defect as the 7200.11 I guess it is simply a "dead disk".

Do you have valuable data that you want to recover on it or not?

Read this:

AND links in it BEFORE anything else, we don't have a "ready made", "tested and verified" solution for that particular drive. :(

jaclaz

Thanks for your reply, any information about getting this HDD back to life would be appreciated.

The data on the HDD is not valuable but would be good to have it back.

I have checked the first link and I would tell again by the sound and by angular momentum that this thing is spinning.

I have checked the 2nd link but the guy who was trying to make alive again his HDD applied commands that were not supposed to be used on a 5400.6 HDD.

I am not sure if there are commands for this type of drive that would make the data available instantly like for 7200.11.

'fackeid' could see his HDD in the BIOS now, but after that, all the effort was put on trying to recover the data on the HDD's which was damaged.

Otherwise I would have to try the commands that 'fackeid' used to at least see my HDD as a last attempt. If there is something else to do please reply =).

Thanks.