• Announcements

• xper

MSFN Sponsorship and AdBlockers!   07/10/2016

Dear members, MSFN is made available via subscriptions, donations and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, become a site sponsor and ads will be disabled automatically and by subscribing you get other sponsor benefits.
Tripredacus

Four new Betas released today

55 posts in this topic

I like it more compared to the VS2010 UI. I've always applied a theme to get the VS2008 look back. Taste is different.

Maybe you get a feature pack after RTM to compile apps for Windows XP:

Just so that there is no confusion for the readers of your blog, the issue of XP support for C++ in Dev11 is one we’re taking very seriously, and we’re continuing to take customer feedback on Dev11 beta. However, we are not yet prepared to make an announcement on platform support for the RTM version of Dev11. We will be making an announcement on this in the coming weeks.

http://blog.m-ri.de/index.php/2012/05/04/und-das-letzte-wort-zu-vs-11-und-windows-xp-ist-doch-nicht-gesprochen/

I like it more compared to the VS2010 UI. I've always applied a theme to get the VS2008 look back. Taste is different.

I have no problems with that :) I don't mind VS2008's interface either. I use VS 2010 mostly for .NET 4 support, and not because I prefer its GUI or theme (the new window manager is nice to have though). So long as it's not the "everything in drab, depressing gray with ALL CAPS EVERYWHERE" I'll be OK.

Maybe you get a feature pack after RTM to compile apps for Windows XP

I didn't think of searching for articles in languages besides English (mainly because I thought pretty much all new infos would be released in English primarily -- I hadn't looked recently either). It's ridiculous not to have XP support in the RTM, but if they bring it back for C++ and also .NET 4.5 apps (which currently don't run on anything older than Win7, but nothing is final yet) then it would make VS 11 a viable option. On the C++ side, benefits are fairly obvious (some C++11 features, which will get used if we can finally target XP) but on the .NET side it's not so clear cut. The nicest thing I've noticed so far (besides async) is that the System.IO.Compression namespace now contains classes to handle zip files natively (instead of having to use SharpZipLib, the J# classes or something similar). I'd still like to see a LOT more improvements but at least it wouldn't be a step back from VS 2010 anymore.

Mein Deutsch ist nicht sehr gut (par contre je parle bien français). But it does sound like the odds of getting XP support are pretty good.