Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Four new Betas released today

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

cluberti

cluberti

Gustatus similis pullus

• Supervisor
  • 11,252 posts
  • Joined 09-September 01
Prior to Windows 8 I have used VHD to boot bitlocker-protected variants of Windows 7 (for normal use) and Windows Server 2008 R2 (for Hyper-V) without doing multiple partitions. With Windows 8 client and Hyper-V on a SLAT enabled system, though, I won't need to do that anymore.
MCTS Windows Internals, MCITP Server 2008 EA, MCTS MDT/BDD, MCSE/MCSA Server 2003, Server 2012, Windows 8
--------------------
Please read the rules before posting!
Please consider donating to MSFN to keep it up and running!

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Aloha

Aloha

• PipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • Joined 07-February 08
It didn't allow me to install WCP over the current WDP! I had to format the partition and install WCP fresh new. I have no complaints so far after a day of using it.

Ah, although the Windows Experience Index has a new scale from 1.0 to 9.9, my computer score is the same as before; 4.9!

Edited by Aloha, 04 March 2012 - 07:16 AM.

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,902 posts
  • Joined 28-April 06

Donator

It didn't allow me to install WCP over the current WDP! I had to format the partition and install WCP fresh new. I have no complaints so far after a day of using it.

I think all MS Beta OSes are upgrade locked, aka you can't upgrade them using Windows Setup.
MSFN RULES | GimageX HTA for PE 3-5 | lol probloms
msfn2_zpsc37c7153.jpg

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

after Windows 7 GA still Vista lover :)

• Patrons
  • 6,091 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

with the cversion.ini-trick the upgrade should work.
Posted Image

condor

condor

Junior

• Pip
  • 75 posts
  • Joined 04-October 06
Someone discover how disable stupid metro?? On PC is very ugly.

JorgeA

JorgeA

FORMAT B: /V /S

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,217 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

No... not yet, anyway.

Speculation is running both ways on whether Microsoft will (or will not) eventually provide a built-in way to disable Metro, at least for business versions of Windows 8.

On the other hand, there seems to be little doubt, even among fans of Metro, that sooner or later some sort of hack or workaround will be developed to at least bring back a real Start Menu and its functionality.

--JorgeA

Aloha

Aloha

• PipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • Joined 07-February 08

Can you post it, MagicAndre? What is it?

You don't like it, you can always go to the old view of the desktop. I don't like the Metro Start either. I rarely turn to it, just working with the desktop all the time!

bphlpt

bphlpt

MSFN Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,798 posts
  • Joined 12-May 07

http://www.onebitzer...xt-menu-how-to/

Cheers and Regards

Posted Image

condor

condor

Junior

• Pip
  • 75 posts
  • Joined 04-October 06
bphlpt

That trick work only in developer preview :P

Edited by condor, 06 March 2012 - 07:45 AM.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,091 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

Can you post it, MagicAndre? What is it?

this is the same like in IWndows 7. Open it and change the version number MinClient from 8220 to 8102, create a new ISO and run setup ;)
Posted Image

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,217 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10
This could be exciting: an application to (maybe) bring back the function of the Start Menu, if not the look.

It seems to restore the Start orb and to add a Shutdown option. And -- last but not least -- it doesn't take over your entire screen, so you can still see open windows while selecting a new program.

Something like this (especially if given the Windows 7 start menu look, like ViStart) could be the lifesaver for Windows 8. I'll be trying it as soon as I finish other explorations of the CP (in case Start8 messes everything up).

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA, 06 March 2012 - 11:54 AM.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,091 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

the program displays a Metro-Style App

Attached File  Start8_.png   139.75KB   9 downloads

I don't like it :}
Posted Image

CoffeeFiend

CoffeeFiend

Coffee Aficionado

• Super Moderator
  • 5,399 posts
  • Joined 14-July 04
Unfortunately no decent start menu yet, yeah.

Meanwhile, yet another good read: That Windows 8 experience? Confusing. Confusing as hell
Coffee: \ˈkȯ-fē, ˈkä-\. noun. Heaven in a cup. Life's only treasure. The meaning of life. Kaffee ist wunderbar. C8H10N4O2 FTW.

Joseph_sw

Joseph_sw

• PipPip
  • 217 posts
  • Joined 03-August 08
what a mismatch.

M$ should've ditch this metro-for-desktop alltogether, but it would ruin their new-metro-trainnings partners program, I mean M$ have done this for their extra-large-tabbed-toolbars ribbons before...

CoffeeFiend

CoffeeFiend

Coffee Aficionado

• Super Moderator
  • 5,399 posts
  • Joined 14-July 04

M$ should've ditch this metro-for-desktop alltogether

I agree wholeheartedly, but that would make Win8 more of a service pack than a new OS i.e. just a couple minor new features that most won't use, and I don't seemingly have any use for most of them.

Hyper-V seems like a desperate push for their virtualization tech that nearly nobody seems to be adopting, reset is mostly sending the wrong message (our OS needs reinstalls so often that we built that in!) while not being really helpful, Internet Explorer version++ which I won't touch with a 10 foot pole, and that's about it for the main changes. Unless you want to talk about the Windows on ARM whose main feature seems to be incompatibility, which is paired with the kludgy interface of Win8 that nobody likes and MS' poor online services (sounds like a winner, no?)

The one and only thing I like from it is the task manager. And I'm not paying $100+ for that, especially when the rest of the OS is ruined. Instead of making us pay $100 for a handful of extra features (remote desktop host, MUI and very little more) in Ultimate over Home Premium, just charge us the extra $100 for the non-Metro interface or something.
Coffee: \ˈkȯ-fē, ˈkä-\. noun. Heaven in a cup. Life's only treasure. The meaning of life. Kaffee ist wunderbar. C8H10N4O2 FTW.

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,217 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

reset is mostly sending the wrong message (our OS needs reinstalls so often that we built that in!) while not being really helpful

The biggest drawbacks of the existing OS recovery options are (1) you lose your installed programs, and (2) the process of reinstalling the OS and programs, which -- depending on the kind of user involved -- can prove to be a process which is overwhelming, tedious, intimidating, and/or frightening. The ideal method would be to enable a reset/refresh/reinstall/whatchamacallit that allows the user both to keep their data and all settings, and to choose which of their applications to keep intact, with the proviso that the more programs you keep installed, the less good that the "refresh" will do.

Don't know if this is technically feasible, but it would be my ideal. It might be called "Windows In-Place Easy Transfer." ;)

Another possible (and not necessarily too complicated) idea would be to automatically pop up an option, right before or right after the installation of a program, to image the HDD as it is at that moment, with sufficiently detailed instructions for the less technically inclined. (Restore points often don't successfully "take" when applied IMX.)

--JorgeA

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,217 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

the program displays a Metro-Style App

Attached File  Start8_.png   139.75KB   9 downloads

I don't like it :}

Yeah, it's not the optimal solution. As it turns out, apparently what it does is to create a miniature version of the Start Screen, without actually working much better.

But I'm glad to know that various people are busy trying to fix what's broken in Windows 8. With any luck, one or more of them will get it right.

--JorgeA

CoffeeFiend

CoffeeFiend

Coffee Aficionado

• Super Moderator
  • 5,399 posts
  • Joined 14-July 04

The biggest drawbacks of the existing OS recovery options are (1) you lose your installed programs, and (2) the process of reinstalling the OS and programs

Yes. It'll save you about 10 minutes compared to installing from a flash drive or such. But then, all the updates, all the optional updates, all the drivers for everything, all your software, all the patches and updates for all your software, etc. Printer preferences, pinning apps, browser extensions, codecs, licenses and activations, etc. That's a whole day gone by.Then you start setting all your preferences and general settings in all apps and so on.

Now, if you're a power user or programmer, this is *so* much worse (being both is even worse). Several IDEs and compilers (Visual Studio, SQL Server, service packs for both, Windows SDK, sample DBs for SQL Server, AVR Studio 5 -- oops gotta reinstall VS2010 SP1 again now, Eclipse, CodeWarrior, Imagecraft, Keil, eabi toolchain + CMSIS, etc). Now configure VS and others to your needs. Reinstall Resharper/VisualAssistX/CodeRush or whatever you use, SVN/Hg/Git/whatever tools (cmd line/shell GUIs/multiple IDE integration) and their "ignore" files and various settings, various VS extensions via NuGet, VMWare Workstation and several virtual machine images for testing (also, the vSphere 5 client), several JTAG/BDM-related tools and drivers for embedded folks, IDA Pro, etc. There goes yet another day.

God forbid you also use other kinds of software! Now my color profiles and prefs, my custom photoshop workspaces (and tons of other settings/presets), bridge settings, my custom pre-flight settings in acrobat, font sets in suitcase fusion, brush settings in Painter, outlook signatures, your company's templates for various CAD apps, and countless other things in numerous other apps (e.g. telling wireshark not to go crazy because of TCP checksums, extra folders in CCleaner, internal codec settings in MPC-HC, Intuos tablet settings, fixing errors in WMP's library, etc). That's assuming that nothing goes wrong on anything, not that it's uncommon for a Windows security update to fail or something along those lines. Some people would even add some games to this list.

I think you now understand why I never want to reinstall unless absolutely necessary. I just don't have that kind of time to waste. Installing Windows itself isn't the issue, it's everything else you have to do after that is. It's so much work that I used to make images of it with TrueImage but by the time I end up needing to restore them almost everything included is out of date so that is typically no help (I'd just have to uninstall everything and reinstall the new versions)

But yeah. I can now save myself a whole 10 minutes in this 3 day long ordeal! I feel so relieved.

Aloha

Aloha

• PipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • Joined 07-February 08

this is the same like in IWndows 7. Open it and change the version number MinClient from 8220 to 8102, create a new ISO and run setup ;)

Thank you.

Umm... I'm afraid of using the Search on the Start Screen (well, I won't call it Metro Start any more!) It's OK if there are some results after I hit Search. But if it doesn't find anything, I can't return to the desktop screen at all. Then the only way to get rid of Start Screen is to sign out and then sign in again!

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,217 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

Umm... I'm afraid of using the Search on the Start Screen (well, I won't call it Metro Start any more!) It's OK if there are some results after I hit Search. But if it doesn't find anything, I can't return to the desktop screen at all. Then the only way to get rid of Start Screen is to sign out and then sign in again!

Aloha,

In that case (when Search doesn't find anything), what happens if you hit the Windows key, or if you hover the mouse to the lower-left corner of the screen?

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA, 07 March 2012 - 02:12 AM.

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,217 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

Meanwhile, yet another good read: That Windows 8 experience? Confusing. Confusing as hell

CoffeeFiend,

Very good article, thanks. He puts another nail in the coffin of the idea of Windows tablets selling to businesses.

I also like this remark in the comments section:

Is Microsoft ever going to hire people with field experience in HCI rather hiring a bunch of acedemics?

--JorgeA

Aloha

Aloha

• PipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • Joined 07-February 08

Aloha,

In that case (when Search doesn't find anything), what happens if you hit the Windows key, or if you hover the mouse to the lower-left corner of the screen?

--JorgeA

I tried pressing Windows key, and even clicking on the lower-left corner, it just toggled between the Search Screen and the Start Screen. Then if I clicked on the Desktop tile, the screen flicked and nothing happened, I was still at the Start screen. I hope you are not confused with my description!

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,217 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

Aloha,

--JorgeA

I tried pressing Windows key, and even clicking on the lower-left corner, it just toggled between the Search Screen and the Start Screen. Then if I clicked on the Desktop tile, the screen flicked and nothing happened, I was still at the Start screen. I hope you are not confused with my description!

Aloha,

Wow, I had to think about that for a while!

That's very strange behavior, not at all what I would expect to happen. :unsure: I'll try searching for a string that I know doesn't exist, and see what happens.

Just tried it in the Developer Preview, where that PC is in now. I went into the Start Screen and typed "ghjkl". It didn't find anything, but it did let me get back to the Start Screen and then to the Desktop when I clicked on that tile.

Next time I boot into the CP (it's getting late), I'll try the same thing there and report back.

--JorgeA

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,091 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

MS listens a bit. Now the color is back in the VS11 RC:

Posted Image

They also removed the caps in the test like "Solution Explorer". But now the Mainmenu items are all in Caps like "FILE", "EDIT". This looks so ugly gain :rolleyes: But it's getting a bit better.

http://blogs.msdn.co...ming-in-rc.aspx
Posted Image

CoffeeFiend

CoffeeFiend

Coffee Aficionado

• Super Moderator
  • 5,399 posts
  • Joined 14-July 04
It looks less bad now. The beta UI was horrible, now it's just somewhat worse than VS 2010.

But then again, they're only addressing minor issues. It still has far more important problems, like compiling code that doesn't run on half the computers that have Windows as their OS (compiled apps don't work on XP and prior, and as much as I dislike XP we simply can't abandon half of our users yet!) and pretty much not offering a single reason to upgrade in the first place.

C# has pretty much zero improvements besides the very minor async language feature. And I must be thick, because at that price (CDN$15,939 which is USD $15,926 at the current exchange rate) for Ultimate with MSDN I'd expect C++11 support at least equal to freeware (open source) GCC. Also, the free Express editions are now absolutely worthless (you'll need to buy VS to make any simple Windows application in C# or VB)

How about making Visual Studio good enough not to require Resharper/CodeRush/Refactor Pro!/Visual Assist X (much improved refactoring and code navigation for starters), adding a LINQPad-like tool (debugging LINQ queries would be fantastic too), improving CPU & memory profiling (like ANTS), including nice language improvements (supporting more C++11 features, or things like XML literals in C#), including something like Roslyn and its REPL, ideally including a tool like Reflector/dotPeek/ILSpy/JustDecompile, having some out-of-the-box SVN/Hg/Git support (because no, we're not going to suddenly start using TFS -- it's simply not the kind of tool most of us need or want), substantially improved SQL Server support for tasks like database versioning/schema comparison/script generation and such (intellisense in SQL Server Management Studio without SQL Complete would be nice too) much like Redgate's tools provide, maybe making their testing tools as good as freeware alternatives (e.g. NUnit with TestDriven.NET and NCrunch, or even Resharper's test runner), including a basic regex tool (doesn't have to be quite as fancy as regex buddy), better code documentation tools (like sandcastle help file builder), more advanced/improved/highly polished controls (like those from Telerik, DevExpress, Infragistics and others), or even C99 support more than a decade late (yes, I do know it'll never happen), etc.

There's a VERY long list of things that still very much need improving and that most developers would agree on (so we rely on a lot of 3rd party tools for a lot of things). But instead of working on that, we now get a regression on the UI side and supporting less Windows versions as our main new features. Shut up and take my money! No sarcasm at all there :rolleyes: No siree! Much like for Win8, they chose to make the UI suck instead of adding new worthwhile features or improving what was already there. Thanks, but no thanks. We'll keep using Win7 & VS 2010. I'd sooner pay again to keep using what we have now than to use the new stuff for free.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users