How to reduce Windows 8 system?

oldghost

Hi, Windows 8 consumer preview version is released. Anybody try out to reduce Windows 8 size? I'm not sure if the method for Windows 7 lite is workable on Windows 8.

FYI, If you Apply and capture the Index1 install wim using gimagex, Windows 8 loads in vlite and rt7lite. Not sure on anything else, basing my testing on how win7sp1 is done in rt7lite then vlite :)

Yes, it is a solution, but not very good one. I can only trim out features that were also present in WIndows 7 or vista. For example I don't need most of the preinstalled metro apps, but I cannot remove them with Win7/Vista apps.

• 2 weeks later...

Was anybody able to use RT7lite to create a Win8 ISO? I just tried it. It prompts for the image to select and displays the Windows 8 image choices correctly. But when I select one, I get an error "Please select a valid Windows 7 operating system". Has anyone gotten this to work? Thanks!

But asking for instructions or a script so that you can modify your own copy to achieve such an ISO yourself IS allowed, and encouraged, as long as the process only requires tools that are openly available and truly free.

Cheers and Regards