Jump to content

Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account



Photo

Custom Update List - Crashing UPD


  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1
bourne

bourne
  • Member
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 07-March 12
  • OS:Windows 7 x64
  • Country: Country Flag
Hey,

I stumbled across this tool the other day and it has been awesome!
It has helped me to create a custom install of Windows that included most of the Windows updates.

I want to be able to maintain the ULZ file myself though if possible.

I have been able to unzip the contents of the ULZ file that comes from the Windows Updates Downloader and take a look inside.
I have followed the syntax (I hope anyway) to create a new entry. I used one of the updates that I was notified about when I did a fresh install of the Windows ISO I created.

For some reason though, whenever I load in the new ULZ file Windows Updates Downloader crashes afterwards. I have used the validation tool available here http://www.w3.org/2001/03/webdata/xsv .... but it doesn't report any errors.
It did the first time I ran it against the file I made, but I corrected it. (I had messed up on the date format)

I renamed the ul and ulz update file to: windows-7-sp1-x64-enu-2012-03-7.ul / windows-7-sp1-x64-enu-2012-03-7.ulz (not sure if this is an issue)

Here is the entry I entered. I am not really sure even if I should be adding this update. I just know that Windows notified me that I should be installing it

 <update id="KB2532531" category="1" publishdate="2011-07-11" article="http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2532531">
    <title>Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2532531)</title>
	<description>A security issue has been identified that could allow an unauthenticated remote attacker to compromise your system and gain control over it.</description>
        <filename>Windows6.1-KB2532531-x64.msu</filename>
	<url>http://download.microsoft.com/download/A/6/0/A60028ED-B27B-420E-AF86-697E41901DBC/Windows6.1-KB2532531-x64.msu</url>
  </update>	

I am not sure if I have missed something, but I have been over it a few times and haven't been able to find my error.
Is there something else that I am missing?

I should almost mention that I changed the "lastupdate" attribute at the top of the file to this - lastupdate="2012-03-7"

Thank you,

Cheers

Edited by bourne, 07 March 2012 - 05:02 PM.



How to remove advertisement from MSFN

#2
bourne

bourne
  • Member
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 07-March 12
  • OS:Windows 7 x64
  • Country: Country Flag
EDIT:

Okay so I tracked down what I did wrong :blink:
So stupid.... In the date format for the "lastupdate" field I had put "2012-03-8" to show today's date... Which as it turns out is completely wrong.
I had to add a 0 (zero) in front of the eight. So now it looks like this "2012-03-08"

Sorry for the stupid questions... I should have tried this from the get go but it honestly didn't cross my mind.

==========================================================================================================================

Hey,

So I think I might have been able to track down what was causing the issue.
When I change the "lastupdate" field in the "updatelist product" field is when UPD starts to crash.

I left the date alone, and added in the code I provided in the above post and UPD accepted the file.
I have obviously done something wrong in how I edited that date.

I will see if I can figure out why that is causing UPD to crash and report back.

Cheers

Edited by bourne, 08 March 2012 - 08:45 AM.





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users