Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Resurrecting a 1999-Vintage Win98SE Machine

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

TELVM

TELVM

• PipPip
  • 292 posts

You could TRY going into SAFE MODE (the only way to see old/hidden) and UNINSTALL all USB-related items, then reboot into BIOS and try disabling (ref the photo) IRQ->USB assignment , then see if Windows "picks up" ONLY the VIA Add-In (and make sure the Drivers are "findable" or maybe need to reinstall).

Tried as you said. Found several USB 'ghosts' when in safe-mode, then deleted everything under 'USB controllers' in device manager. Then disabled 'Assign IRQ for USB' in BIOS. On restart Windows, asking for Win98 installation CD, reinstalled everything again as in the picture I posted above:

Posted Image

But when I inserted a pendrive its light began flashing AT LAST! :w00t: Then came a message 'new hardware found' and I let Windows search for the most suitable driver for the new device, installed it, and finally the pendrive was recognized, and it appears as 'E: extractable disk' in Windows Explorer :w00t: .

HOWEVERRRRR ... the instant I click on E: , Windows frozes and hungs :o :} . No BOD, but I have to reset.

Seems you are having more problems with the Intel (on-board USB1.1) than the VIA (Add-in USB2.0).

May be I could try the procedure again, and this time cancelling the installation of any USB drivers, except the VIA add-in USB2.0 ones (which I think are the last two lines under 'USB Controllers' in the picture)?

... add as a new dword value ACPIOption=2 ...

Just to be sure: Hexa, decimal, or doesn't matter? :ph34r:

Turn it on again, and go into BIOS, and change all of the followng settings as indicated.

Sorry Dencorso, I'm not sure exactly which following settings are you referring to? :unsure:

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,276 posts
In RegEdit, go to
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Detect
RIGHT-CLICK "DETECT" (on left pane) and a "window" will appear
...and then add as a new dword value: (etc)

Odd that the Intel item reappeared. May be irrelevant. The only thing you did was "deallocate" the IRQ to "free" it for the USB Add-In, so...

edit - dencorso...
THIS BIOS entry?
http://www5.picturep...img/7778513.jpg
"ACPI Enabled"

Edited by submix8c, 17 March 2012 - 03:53 PM.

Someday the tyrants will be unthroned... Jason "Jay" Chasteen; RIP, bro!

Posted Image

TELVM

TELVM

• PipPip
  • 292 posts

In RegEdit, go to
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Detect
RIGHT-CLICK "DETECT" (on left pane) and a "window" will appear
...and then add as a new dword value: (etc)

Roger Wilco :ph34r: . But must I mark hexa or decimal before entering the '2', i.e. :

Posted Image

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,276 posts
When you ADD a new value, it's irrelevant. The sheer fact that you are doing a DWORD (from the LEFT SIDE) will create a VALUE on the RIGHT and will be a "2" (no matter what Numeric BASE you use). You MIGHT have to "rename" it to the indicate NAME given above (ref. that link dencorso gave).

Someday the tyrants will be unthroned... Jason "Jay" Chasteen; RIP, bro!

Posted Image

dencorso

dencorso

Adiuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Supervisor
  • 5,861 posts

Donator

edit - dencorso...
THIS BIOS entry?
http://www5.picturep...img/7778513.jpg
"ACPI Enabled"

Sure.

:blink:

Well, sorry! My keyboard froze and I had to reboot.
It seems my latest edit before that to my post #25 never really made it to the forum. :blushing:

So...

Please, do re-read my post #25 above, for now I've added the BIOS settings I intended to have changed.
My aim is to move from ACPI to APM.

Sorry again, folks! :blushing:

@TELVM: hexadecimal 2 = decimal 2 so you may choose either. But I should have said so, earlier.
Then again, thanks to my keyboard, I didn't get the chance to before. Sorry!

TELVM

TELVM

• PipPip
  • 292 posts

Inside windows, open regedit and navigate to HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Detect, and then add as a new dword value:

ACPIOption=2.

Close regedit and shut down the machine.

Turn it on again, and go into BIOS, and change all of the followng settngs as indcated:

====
Anti-Virus Protection: Disabled
====
Memory Hole at 15M-16M: Disabled
====
ACPI Function: Disabled
PM Control by APM: Yes
====
PNP OS Installed: No
Resources Controlled By: Manual
Reset Configuration Data: Enabled (it'll disable itself after ONE reboot)

Assign IRQ for USB: Disabled
====

Let windows boot into safe mode and remove all USB-related items, then reboot normally and let windos redetect them all.

Let us know the outcome. Good luck!

Well the system is screwed up, big time. I'm going to reinstall Win98 trying disabling ACPI during installation with setup /c i setup /p i .

Edited by TELVM, 18 March 2012 - 05:08 AM.

dencorso

dencorso

• Supervisor
  • 5,861 posts

Donator

Since you decided to reinstall, you have nothing to loose in trying the following before going ahead with the reinstallation. So, please, do try rebooting and letting windows start (as far as it manages to) then shutting it down (unless it hangs/freezes, when a reset is needed) two or three times in a row. The system may manage to fix itself enough for us to go on. If not, then reinstall without ACPI, and give it the manufacturer's drivers and VIA's USB drivers, but do not install NUSB for the moment.

BTW, it is

Setup /p i

not

Setup /c i

TELVM

TELVM

• PipPip
  • 292 posts
Thanks a lot for your help and patience Dencorso. The system went too FUBAR :wacko: , better to start afresh. I'm reinstalling as per your last instructions.

TELVM

TELVM

• PipPip
  • 292 posts
Sadly it was not possible to install Win98SE with 'setup /p i' to disable ACPI in this comp. After entering the command installation began, but always froze and hung some seconds later. I had to reinstall with ACPI enabled.

If the problem is conflict from ACPI and USB controllers sharing the same IRQs, how about disabling some non-used devices (joystick, COM, printer ports) to free IRQs, then reassign so that no IRQ is shared by ACPI and USB?

TELVM

TELVM

• PipPip
  • 292 posts
At last! Halleluyah! Got USB 2.0 pendrives working with the dino! :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup

Out of desperation I started changing many things almost aleatorially, and by pure serendipity this is the winner combination:

- USB 2.0 PCI card moved to slot 3 (center one of the five).

- Installed Spanish version of NUSB 3.3, then installed VIA drivers for VT6202 USB 2.0 PCI Card.

- Under Device Manager - USB, disabled Universal Host Controller Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB.

- In Device Manager - System Devices - PCI Bus - IRQ Control ...

Posted Image

... leave only 'Get IRQ Table using MS specification table' ticked.

- BIOS
· ACPI: Enabled
· Power Control by APM: Yes
· PNP OS Installed: Yes
· Resources Controlled by: Auto
· Reset Configuration Data: Disabled
· Assign IRQ for VGA: Yes
· Assign IRQ for USB: Yes
· PCI Latency Timer: 32 PCI Clocks
· Slots 1 to 4 Use IRQ: Auto
· USB Keyboard Support: Disabled

dencorso

dencorso

• Supervisor
  • 5,861 posts

Donator

Congratulations! Posted Image

BTW, since you now can connect pendrives at USB 2.0 speed, this is a great moment for acquiring a full-disk image as a backup, so that you'll never again need to install from scratch.

TELVM

TELVM

• PipPip
  • 292 posts
I'm now having some trouble trying to create a 128MB ramdisk using XMSDSK.EXE . I put both the HIMEMX.EXE and XMSDSK.EXE files in C:\Windows , and added these two lines to the top of CONFIG.SYS:

DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEMX.EXE
INSTALL=C:\WINDOWS\XMSDSK.EXE 131172 K: /C1 /T /Y

But for some reason the comp just freezes while initializing it :huh: .

(If I REMark the ramdisk line, HIMEMX.EXE loads OK)

And now gentlemen time for some laughs :lol: .

A bit of retro benchmarking, just for fun:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Behold my highly sophisticated astronautics-grade PII cooling solution :D :

Posted Image

Works like a charm however, keeping the Deschutes 350/100 overclocked to 434/124 quite cool:

Posted Image

dencorso

dencorso

• Supervisor
  • 5,861 posts

Donator

Forget HIMEMX.EXE. You don't need it at all, with 768 MiB RAM. Use MS HIMEM.SYS instead.
But you do need to add both to system.ini and system.cb a [VCache] section having a single setting:

MaxFileCache=114688 ; 112 MiB

Then I think your XMSDSK will load OK. Let me know how it goes.

PS: Loved your cooling solution! :thumbup

TELVM

TELVM

• PipPip
  • 292 posts
No joy man, system keeps crashing on startup.

However something bizarre: Starting up step by step I observe the line with xmsdsk.exe passes OK; then, some lines later, the crashing comes after some mouse related line :blink: .

But if I REMark the ramdisk line, comp starts OK and mouse works OK :wacko: .

Could it be that XMSDSK.EXE is conflicting somehow with the mouse?

dencorso

dencorso

• Supervisor
  • 5,861 posts

Donator

Zip and attach config.sys and autoexec.bat. Let's pore over them and see what we find, OK?

TELVM

TELVM

• PipPip
  • 292 posts
Sure, here they go: Dino System Files

Got another little drawback, I made two FAT32 partitions in the HDD, the first 32GB one for Win98SE and a second 80GB one for future WinXP. Problem is, these partitions are now named C: and D:, and the CD/DVD driver was displaced to letter E: . That's not good, some old games only work fine if CD driver is D: .

There is any way to switch letters so that 80GB HDD partition is E:, and CD/DVD is D: again?

Were that not possible, can we 'hide' or 'deactivate' somehow the 80GB partition for Win98SE eyes only, so that ignores it, doesn't assign letter, and gives letter D: directly to the CD/DVD?

Attached Files

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,378 posts

There is any way to switch letters so that 80GB HDD partition is E:, and CD/DVD is D: again?

YES. :)
http://homepage.ntlw...no-answers.html

Easiest ;):
http://www.msfn.org/...os/page__st__77

jaclaz

M()zart

M()zart

• PipPip
  • 277 posts
About system freezing when connecting USB drive to USB 1.x port - may be that occurred because Windows 98 needs to read FAT table and freezes until the FAT table is read completely. USB 1.x has low speed and reading FAT can take some time. I had the same issue. My 320 GB USB HDD freezes my system for more than 3.5 minutes. My 4 GB flash drive freezes my system for 3-4 seconds. However after this time span system works OK and I can read/write files on my USB drives. I have USB 1.1 ports. I have tried many things - rebooting, reinstalling NUSB, etc. - before I learned that I need just to wait for a few minutes. USB 2.0 is much faster, so FAT table is read almost instantly with it.

TELVM

TELVM

• PipPip
  • 292 posts
@ Jaclaz: Thanks a lot for the link to Letter Assigner, it's exactly what was needed and works like a charm :thumbup . Also for the grammar lesson :D .

@M()zart: Thanks for your advice, USB 2.0 runs fine now in the dino and pendrives are recognized instantly. Seems it was some IRQ/drivers conflict, now solved.

dencorso

dencorso

• Supervisor
  • 5,861 posts

Donator

You said it crashes DOS. I doubt it. I think it crashes Windows. Let's see who's right.
Set BootGUI=0 and Logo=0 in MSDOS.SYS, and try to boot substituting your current config.sys by the one attached.
If you get to the DOS prompt without a crash, do a DIR command to make sure dos is working, then do a WIN command, for Windows to load.
If it crashes only after the WIN command, pay attention to any message that it may flash and report it, or tell us there's no message at all.

Attached Files

TELVM

TELVM

• PipPip
  • 292 posts

... Set BootGUI=0 and Logo=0 in MSDOS.SYS, and try to boot substituting your current config.sys by the one attached.
If you get to the DOS prompt without a crash, do a DIR command to make sure dos is working, then do a WIN command, for Windows to load.
If it crashes only after the WIN command, pay attention to any message that it may flash and report it, or tell us there's no message at all.

Used your config.sys and modded the msdos.sys, got to DOS prompt, did a DIR OK. Then a couple of seconds after entering WIN command, it just froze with no message at all :no: .

dencorso

dencorso

• Supervisor
  • 5,861 posts

Donator

Used your config.sys and modded the msdos.sys, got to DOS prompt, did a DIR OK. Then a couple of seconds after entering WIN command, it just froze with no message at all :no:

Well, that's good news! It means Windows is crashing due to exhaustion of the System Arena. :yes:
For more info about it, read http://www.msfn.org/...ost&pid=991334'>this post and those that follow it.
On the other hand, were it DOS to crash instead of Windows, I wouldn't have the faintest idea of what the problem might be! :ph34r:

So, let's troubleshoot it radically:
1) Set, in both system.ini and system.cb, MaxFileCache=114688 ; 112 MiB
2) Reduce the XMSDSK to 64 MiB.

Try again and let's see whst happens after the WIN command.

TELVM

TELVM

• PipPip
  • 292 posts
Shrinking both vcache and ramdisk size didn't make any difference, dino keeps freezing on boot as before. Seems system arena exhaustion is not the problem.

I'm exploring another ramdisk software, Cenatek Ramdisk9X/Me v1.5:

Posted Image

Has some nice options, formats in FAT32 with 512K clusters, and works seamless thus far with 128MB of ramdisk and 256MB of vcache. I like this software, it's very much like its Dataram descendant which I use in modern comps with Win7.

Posted Image Posted Image

Son unless you tell me that xmsdsk.exe is decisively faster, I think I'll stick with the Cenatek.

Keeping in mind that, in this hardware context, 'fastness' is a very relative concept :lol: Posted Image :

Posted Image

Edited by TELVM, 24 March 2012 - 05:37 AM.

dencorso

dencorso

• Supervisor
  • 5,861 posts

Donator

No, there's no reason to prefer XMSDSK. Since the CENATEK RD works OK for you, you should stick to it and move on. This means you've reached the definitive setup for the dino, doesn't it? If so, congratulations! :yes:

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,378 posts

This means you've reached the definitive setup for the dino, doesn't it?

I see this achievement NOT as an arrival point, but rather ....
http://reboot.pro/2398/page__st__1

;)

jaclaz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN