Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Windows 98 SE doesn't let remove safely

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

huguia

huguia

• 28 posts
I have Windows 98 SE installed in my PC with Wupg98. When I connect a usb pen drive it openss almost instantly, but when i put to remove safely, nothing happens and I wait a loooong time! It's really boring this.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

jumper

jumper

2014 All-American Masters HJ'er

• PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
Is the activity light on the pen drive on during the delay? Something is probably writing to the drive, causing the delay. A faster pen drive should have less delay.

ResourceMeter can show you how much (and how fast) data is being written to the drive.

Use a process viewer to determine what program is most active during the delay. If it is a virus scanner, disable scanning on that drive letter.

You may also be able to enable (or disable) caching of removable drives to improve performance:
->Control Panel->System->Performance->File System->Removable Disk

Edited by jumper, 21 March 2012 - 03:27 PM.

Design feedback requested:
IHAtool - IpHlpApi tester; call various functions and report results
--status-> framework is solid; 22 api's fully supported; preview release coming soon
ComDlg32 wrapper - ComDlgEx meets IpHlpApi wrapper
--status-> PrintDlgExW working in latest SumatraPDF 8^)
Future projects: ImportPatcher40 - dialog interface; Kexter - IP40+Ktree+Kexstubs

TmEE

TmEE

Mega Drive Modding Master

• PipPipPip
  • 361 posts
I disable caching on removable drives so when I see progress indicator gone when copying files etc. I can just unplug the drive. When some program complains then it did something it should not have...
Posted Image Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

The Resurrector for old Windows OS

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts

I disable caching on removable drives so when I see progress indicator gone when copying files etc. I can just unplug the drive. When some program complains then it did something it should not have...

Can this be a solution for this issue here?

SETUPAPI:
http://www.mdgx.com/web.htm#MEU
and:
http://www.mdgx.com/web.htm#9SU
* Unofficial Windows 98/98 SP1/98 SE/ME SETUPAPI.DLL 5.1.2600.2180 Update [442 KB]:
http://www.mdgx.com/files/SETUPAPI.EXE

This patch breaks NUSB 2.4 and 3.0. With updated file, when I clicked on the NUSB icon in the system tray, it did not respond. When I restored the original setupapi.dll everything worked fine.

Believe God is the Alpha and Omega.
Believe Jesus Christ died for our sins.
Repent for your sins now or there will be
BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

TmEE

TmEE

Mega Drive Modding Master

• PipPipPip
  • 361 posts
I don't think it will help with that problem...
Posted Image Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)

dencorso

dencorso

Adiuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Supervisor
  • 5,846 posts

Donator

Check which vwesion of SETUPAPI.DLL you have on the machine. If it turns out to be 5.1.2600.2180, follow the links PROBLEMCHYLD provided some posts above, to solve the issue. If that's not the case, then update NUSB to version 3.5, using the link below to get it.

NUSB35e :)

MD5: 86073921EBDAB9B75F4F50847E85CEFE CRC32: 6CA5320E

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN