Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Best Web Browser(s) for Windows XP in 2012

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

Poll: Best Web Browser(s) for Windows XP in 2012 (71 member(s) have cast votes)

What is the best web browser for Windows Xp in 2012?

1. Internet Explorer (6 votes [8.45%])

Percentage of vote: 8.45%

2. Chrome (8 votes [11.27%])

Percentage of vote: 11.27%

3. Firefox (35 votes [49.30%])

Percentage of vote: 49.30%

4. Opera (14 votes [19.72%])

Percentage of vote: 19.72%

5. Other (list below) (8 votes [11.27%])

Percentage of vote: 11.27%

Vote Guests cannot vote

helpdesk98

helpdesk98

Junior

• Pip
  • 89 posts
  • Joined 15-September 08
I ask this because I have a few clients running systems with XP and Internet Explorer just cant keep up. I wanted to findout what browsers I good on XP it has been quite some time since I have used the old system to search the web.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

vinifera

vinifera

<°)))><

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts
  • Joined 27-August 09
I'd say ANYTHING else except IE and its shell clones

so it would be or Opera or Firefox or Chrome based ones
If you want true Windows user experience
try Longhorn builds: 3718, 4029, 4066

-X-

-X-

• Patrons
  • 2,412 posts
  • Joined 08-January 04

Donator

Firefox or Chrome

Download all Windows XP Post SP3 High-Priority Updates with a simple double click @ xdot.tk post-12166-0-42859000-1399044129.png ]
               If someone helps you fix a problem, please report back so they and others can benefit from the solution. Thanks!

CharlotteTheHarlot

CharlotteTheHarlot

MSFN Master

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,054 posts
  • Joined 24-September 07
I voted for Opera (obviously since there are only 2 votes so far, and they are both for Opera :-)

However, in my opinion there is no reason to choose one over any of the others exclusively, meaning the typical argument to replace xxx with yyy is pretty silly. I am looking at four icons in my quicklaunch: Opera, Firefox, Chrome, MSIE. They all co-exist quite happily. They even run simultaneously if you are so inclined. Having the free choice to use any of them is a good thing. Just be sure to install them with care, de-select any optional garbage like toolbars that are un-necessary. This means to click 'Custom' in the setup to see all the install options, which is necessary because I believe all four now pre-select themselves to become the default browser.

An added benefit to doing this is that you can you use different browsers for different things. Do your secure shopping in one. Log in to blogs and forums with another (I find that Opera is very good with remembering passwords, thread locations, sessions and similar things). When a site just does not work for some reason you can try a different one. In fact you can try the same site in all four of them at the same time. If you do any web developing (or just blogging) you can open up your page in all four browsers and ALT-TAB between them for quick comparison.

Obviously MSIE is required for manually using Windows Update, there is no getting around this. Also, there are sites that have secure contests using flash that I have only been able to use MSIE for.

One of these days I might just resurrect Mosaic as well. The original early 1990's browsers were always very fast and even with broadband access some of today's browsers chug away at the lousy coding, tangled CSS, Google metrics and insane scripting that make up today's internet.

P.S. the same multi-browser strategy works okay in Vista/7 also. Haven't tried it in Win8 CP.

... Let him who hath understanding reckon the Number Of The Beast ...

RJM

RJM

• PipPip
  • 244 posts
  • Joined 17-May 05
Pale moon
Custom-built and optimized Firefox browsers for Windows Operating Systems.
http://www.palemoon.org/
Caution: The information on this web site may be unreliable, misleading, out-of-date, or just plain wrong.

E6600 3.4 GHZ, ASUS P5W DH Deluxe, 2GB Gskill F2-6400-CL4D, SAPPHIRE X1950XT 256, 2X 250GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10,
WD 6400AAKS, Xclio Greatpower 550wATX, Sycthe Infinity, Samsung 18X DVD R/W, Lian Li PC-61 USB

dencorso

dencorso

Adiuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Supervisor
  • 5,866 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

I'd say ANYTHING else except IE and its shell clones

What about Mosaic? :unsure:

Now, seriously: Pale Moon.

vinifera

vinifera

<°)))><

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts
  • Joined 27-August 09
talking about up to date stuff -_-

Edited by vinifera, 22 March 2012 - 09:24 PM.

UltimateSilence

UltimateSilence

• PipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Joined 19-November 11
As RJM mentioned, Pale Moon (preferably 9)!
I would vote for Opera but it isn't fun when you have to block items manually.

Edited by UltimateSilence, 22 March 2012 - 11:06 PM.

yZo4FWG.png
Keep Windows XP alive!

Please do not misconstrue Windows 7 license sales as actual sales of the operating system. PCs are bundled with Windows 7, and count towards the sales figures.
Running Windows Vista on HP Pavilion Slimline.

nitroshift

nitroshift

Beware of programmers with screwdrivers!

• Super Moderator
  • 2,906 posts
  • Joined 29-November 05
Comodo Dragon, a Chrome-based browser developped by the Comodo team. ALWAYS running it in incognito mode for facebook, as this so-called social network tends to keep track of your cookies even after you log out. For day-to-day browsing though, MSIE 9 is quite okay for me as I don't visit too many sites anyway.

nitroshift

PS. Although I'm on Win 7, I'm pretty sure Comodo runs on XP too.

Please read the rules, folks!

Joseph_sw

Joseph_sw

• PipPip
  • 217 posts
  • Joined 03-August 08
also use proxomitron, it work with any browser that support proxy settings.

the more knowledge you have on how is regular expression works, proxomitrions capabilities, javascripts, css, html,
the happier your browsing experience will be as you'll no longer at mercy of sites developers.

Killjoy

Killjoy

Junior

• Pip
  • 53 posts
  • Joined 08-July 09
My vote goes to Firefox.
I've had some issues with passing from Firefox to Chrome.

Anyway, when I was installing Chrome, he asks me to IMPORT Bookmarks, Passwords etc. from Firefox to Chrome. YES ofcourse.
I've imported only BOOKMARKS and PASSWORDS, nothing more.

Then........OMG! Chrome started to crashing every 5 seconds.
Startup was so slow......every time.

It seems that Chrome isn't optimized as well as Firefox. Firefox is fast as lighning without addons, plugins etc.
But even with all of them, he is pretty fast, maybe not fast as Chrome (clean CHROME (no bookmarks etc.)).

So, again, MY VOTE GOES to Firefox. ;)

Edited by Killjoy, 20 April 2012 - 01:25 PM.

I am the one who dwelt within Cain....
I am the one who dwelt within Nero...
I once dwelt within Judas....
And I was with Legion...
I am Belial....
And I am Lucifer, the devil in the flesh......

We are the ones who dwell within!

tglasgow

tglasgow
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 15-October 11
Does it really matter? The browsers are so narrowly different from each other nowadays. I use Firefox because it is what I have been using for years.

Save Windows 2000!

banicassalam

banicassalam
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 07-May 12
Firefox

G8YMW

G8YMW

• PipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Joined 20-May 08
Firefox for me, couldnt get into Chrome.
I thought IE9 wasnt compatable with XP?

5eraph

5eraph

Update Packrat

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 1,153 posts
  • Joined 04-July 05

Donator

It's not. If you want IE you're stuck with 6-8.

Edited by 5eraph, 08 May 2012 - 02:35 AM.

monroe

monroe

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 917 posts
  • Joined 21-May 07

Donator

Just a few words on the subject ... having just recently made the decision to put XP on my computers, I continue to use K-Meleon 1.5.4 and 1.6.0 from my 98SE setup. Wasn't sure how the setup would work but am very happy with the speed and results so far. Was nothing to set up, just put the folders into Program Files ... also using Proxomitron with the same filter setup as in Windows 98SE. I will probably try a few other browsers out over the next few months, but no complaints so far with K-Meleon.

Andromeda43

Andromeda43

Retired PC Tech.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • Joined 14-August 05
WOW! And I thought I was OLD SCHOOL!

My vote is for Firefox, and I set it up to AUTO Update. It's a collaborative effort, from programmers worldwide and will be updated often.

Firefox 12 is working just GREAT with Windows 8 pre release versions.
Don't hobble yourself though,,,, go ahead and install the latest Flash, Shockwave and even Java to get the most out of your Browser.

Both Ad Block + and I.E. Tab work great with FF 12.0.

Cheers Mates and Happy Browsing!

B)
A person with experience is never at the mercy of a person with an argument.

vinifera

vinifera

<°)))><

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts
  • Joined 27-August 09
you do know that flash and java are 1st ones that will allow backdor to your system :) ?

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,520 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10

you do know that flash and java are 1st ones that will allow backdor to your system :) ?

They are the so-called necessary evil :P
Posted Image
Unofficial Service Pack 5.2 for MS Windows 2000 <- use this topic if you need help with UURollup, Update Rollup 2 and other unofficial packages

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,282 posts
  • Joined 14-September 05

You do know you can "block" them both don't you?

Someday the tyrants will be unthroned... Jason "Jay" Chasteen; RIP, bro!

Posted Image

RJM

RJM

• PipPip
  • 244 posts
  • Joined 17-May 05
No Script, it's a little annoying it blocks all JAVA scripts but remembers which ones that you unblock.
http://noscript.net/
Caution: The information on this web site may be unreliable, misleading, out-of-date, or just plain wrong.

E6600 3.4 GHZ, ASUS P5W DH Deluxe, 2GB Gskill F2-6400-CL4D, SAPPHIRE X1950XT 256, 2X 250GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10,
WD 6400AAKS, Xclio Greatpower 550wATX, Sycthe Infinity, Samsung 18X DVD R/W, Lian Li PC-61 USB

endlessness

endlessness

for large values of 5

• 21 posts
  • Joined 18-May 11
I'm happy with Firefox. Never really liked Chrome and Opera.

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,520 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10
My opinion is:

Internet Explorer - not recommended unless you need ActiveX support

Firefox - a lot of extensions, very customisable, stable but quite slow

Opera - user friendly, many useful functions integrated but often unstable

SRWare Iron - a better version of Chrome, very fast but uses a lot of memory, mediocre extension support

Originally I was a diehard Opera fan but it's become very unstable, especially when using Flash content. The most annoying thing is that when there's an error the browser crashes and has to be restarted. It's different in Firefox where you see an error about plug-in malfunction but you don't need to restart the whole browser. Because of Opera's instability I started to look for other browsers. Firefox is very nice when it comes to customisation as there are plenty of extensions available. On the other hand, it's much slower than Opera and Chromium based browsers. SRWare Iron, while not being very well known, is a very good alternative to Chrome. It uses exactly the same engine but doesn't contain any spying "features" which are present in Chrome. You can install Chrome extensions in it. The problem is that the browser (and it's no different in case of Chrome) cannot be really customised, the options are very limited and extension support still far from ideal. The number of available extensions is also not very large. The browser itself is super fast but requires a lot of RAM (as each tab runs in a separate process).

The conclusion is that I use four browsers simultaneously depending on what I want to do and I think it's much better than limiting yourself to just one of them.
Posted Image
Unofficial Service Pack 5.2 for MS Windows 2000 <- use this topic if you need help with UURollup, Update Rollup 2 and other unofficial packages

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,520 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10
By the way, the new Opera 12.00 is extremely unstable. It doesn't crash as often as the older versions... but freezes all the time, even on the speed dial screen with no pages opened :realmad: I installed it and after 10 minutes restored v11.64.

Edited by tomasz86, 20 June 2012 - 02:03 AM.

Posted Image

dencorso

dencorso

Adiuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Supervisor
  • 5,866 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

Use Palemoon. It's even stabler than Firefox, from which it's derived, and it has stable version numbering, instead of that version nonsense that got hold of Firefox.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN