Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Best Web Browser(s) for Windows XP in 2012

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

Poll: Best Web Browser(s) for Windows XP in 2012 (71 member(s) have cast votes)

What is the best web browser for Windows Xp in 2012?

1. Internet Explorer (6 votes [8.45%])

Percentage of vote: 8.45%

2. Chrome (8 votes [11.27%])

Percentage of vote: 11.27%

3. Firefox (35 votes [49.30%])

Percentage of vote: 49.30%

4. Opera (14 votes [19.72%])

Percentage of vote: 19.72%

5. Other (list below) (8 votes [11.27%])

Percentage of vote: 11.27%

Vote Guests cannot vote

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10
I've never liked Gecko based browsers ;) I find the engine slower than Presto (Opera) and especially Webkit (Chromium). I've also used Opera for many years and find it the most comfortable to use. The problem is that it's not supported on many websites and also itself doesn't handle Flash and Javascript very well (= crashes often). I did try Firefox many times but really wasn't able to adapt. The most annoying are some very basic things like mouse scrolling which is awful compared to Opera. I tried different extensions to adjust it but the effect was even worse then the default one.

I'll probably use SRWare Iron as my main browser as soon as all Win2k incompatibilities are fixed (mouse scrolling is similar to Opera too, maybe even better :whistle:). Yes, I know the topic is about XP :lol: In XP there should be no problems with SRWare Iron and other Chromium based browsers. It's also true that Chromium is a resource hog but I'd still choose it because of speed and stability (but I do have 8 GB RAM here...). The only thing that I really HATE about it is that extensions don't work in all browser windows, ex. mouse gestures won't work in the configuration page or on a speed dial page, etc. It's really annoying but nothing is ideal. I just use keyboard shortcuts more often which work everywhere.

Another problem with Opera is that it lacks many useful extensions due to its low popularity (only ~2%).

Edited by tomasz86, 20 June 2012 - 04:33 AM.

Posted Image
Unofficial Service Pack 5.2 for MS Windows 2000 <- use this topic if you need help with UURollup, Update Rollup 2 and other unofficial packages

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

marson2

marson2
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 20-August 11
coolnovo a.k.a chromeplus, more powerful than chrome

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,520 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10
CoolNovo hasn't released any updates for a few months. They stopped at version 17 while the current version of Chrome is 20.
Posted Image
Unofficial Service Pack 5.2 for MS Windows 2000 <- use this topic if you need help with UURollup, Update Rollup 2 and other unofficial packages

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

The Resurrector for old Windows OS

• 2,528 posts
  • Joined 07-October 05
Opera :ph34r:

Believe God is the Alpha and Omega.
Believe Jesus Christ died for our sins.
Repent for your sins now or there will be
BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

frf954

frf954
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 08-July 12
FireFox , Opera , Chromium and derivatives :yes: .
MSIE :angry: :no: .

rilef

rilef

Junior

• Pip
  • 59 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10
Users of Chrome, Iron, and other Chromium browsers should consider using Comodo Dragon instead. Comodo Dragon is a Chromium technology-based browser that offers all of Chrome's features plus an added level of security and privacy from Comodo. Also, unlike Iron and CoolNovo, Comodo Dragon appears to be updated as frequently as Chrome. An optional feature of Dragon, which I like, is the ability to run new website access requests through Comodo's servers, to identify malevolent or suspicious internet sites. This feature can be applied to just Dragon, or to all of your browsers. Download is available from http://filehippo.com..._comodo_dragon/ or http://www.comodo.com/ or several other websites.

HarryTri

HarryTri

• PipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Joined 17-August 12
I may sound like the devil's defender but I think that IE8 isn't bad at all. It has a lot of options about security, privacy (deleting cookies e.t.c.) and does a good job for me.

I always love Windows XP!

vinifera

vinifera

<°)))><

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts
  • Joined 27-August 09
until you get thingy like "security sphere 2012"

then you will cry
If you want true Windows user experience
try Longhorn builds: 3718, 4029, 4066

CharlotteTheHarlot

CharlotteTheHarlot

MSFN Master

• 2,054 posts
  • Joined 24-September 07
There is no good reason to pick one exclusively and it makes sense to have all of them installed and available. Too many times you need more than one and very often one works while another will not ( often due to 'programmers' that insist on browser sniffing rather than writing neutral code :realmad: ). They exist just fine together and can all work simultaneously. In order of personal preference I use them like they appear here left to right ...

Posted Image

Although lately, MSIE is getting more use than Chrome since it is becoming less useful and more dumbed down IMHO ( and should maybe be renamed 'Chromeless' now ). :lol:

... Let him who hath understanding reckon the Number Of The Beast ...

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,520 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10
@CharlotteTheHarlot

Looks familiar :lol:

Attached File  Start-przegladarki.jpg   10.9KB   2 downloads
Posted Image

CharlotteTheHarlot

CharlotteTheHarlot

MSFN Master

• 2,054 posts
  • Joined 24-September 07

@CharlotteTheHarlot

:thumbup double height taskbar too. :yes:

dencorso

dencorso

Adiuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Supervisor
  • 5,866 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

:thumbup double height taskbar too. :yes:

Wow! Here, too! :yes:

Attached Files

-X-

-X-

• Patrons
  • 2,412 posts
  • Joined 08-January 04

Donator

Posted Image

Taskbar on top rules.

Download all Windows XP Post SP3 High-Priority Updates with a simple double click @ xdot.tk post-12166-0-42859000-1399044129.png ]
               If someone helps you fix a problem, please report back so they and others can benefit from the solution. Thanks!

HarryTri

HarryTri

• PipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Joined 17-August 12

"security sphere 2012"

It is a virus or something?

I always love Windows XP!

bphlpt

bphlpt

MSFN Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,798 posts
  • Joined 12-May 07
Yes - Google would have answered your question with pages full of links with exactly that search term that you pasted above. Please do some very basic searches on your own. We are more than happy to help you learn, but if we always have to do it for you, you will very quickly find yourself ignored.

Cheers and Regards

Posted Image

Win2k3EE

Win2k3EE

• PipPip
  • 222 posts
  • Joined 15-May 05
Firefox rules for me on WinXP Pro SP3. :thumbup

MaximRecoil

MaximRecoil
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 28-December 12
I hate them all.

Firefox is slow, and as far as I know, you can't get rid of tabs (I hate "tabbed browsing" with a passion).

Chrome is fast, but ugly (no option to just use a normal Windows skin on it), and it natively lacks simple history and favorites/bookmarks dropdown menus. This is a deal killer for me, and I don't think you can exorcise tabs in it either.

I don't like Opera either, it just isn't what I want.

What I want is IE6 (or 5.5, or 5, or 4); fix/update it under the hood but give me the same interface. I reluctantly get by these days with IE8, and Firefox for the ever-increasing amount of sites that IE8 chokes on (which is why I now hate IE8 rather than just sort of disliking it like I used to; I just hate it a little less than the other options). With IE8 I can at least disable tabs, making the "tab" portion of the GUI completely disappear, and a registry edit puts the menu bar back on top where it belongs. I'd still rather have the IE6 GUI though.

Using a PC and the internet 10 years ago was a better experience than it is now, in my opinion. Win2K wasn't bloated relative to the mid-level hardware of the day, and XP could easily be configured to run as light as 2K. IE6 was fairly new, it was a basic and fast web browser, and due to its ~90% or so market share at the time, pretty much all sites were compatible with it. Everything now is a pie-sliced-too-many-ways mess, and bloat (in both websites and locally-installed software) has gotten out of control.

-X-

-X-

• Patrons
  • 2,412 posts
  • Joined 08-January 04

Donator

I too prefer the IE6 GUI and that's the way I have Firefox setup. Just right click a toolbar and click customize.

Posted Image

Download all Windows XP Post SP3 High-Priority Updates with a simple double click @ xdot.tk post-12166-0-42859000-1399044129.png ]
               If someone helps you fix a problem, please report back so they and others can benefit from the solution. Thanks!

CharlotteTheHarlot

CharlotteTheHarlot

MSFN Master

• 2,054 posts
  • Joined 24-September 07
( this is more a WinXP article than MSIE )

Exploit found in Internet Explorer 8; IE9 and 10 not affected [Update] ( NeoWin 2012-12-29 )

In summary, MSIE has another zero-day hole. MSIE8 on WinXP. So just don't use it for day-to-day browsing obviously. But wait! They cannot let this opportunity pass to push the agenda to kill WinXP ...

If you still use Windows XP and Internet Explorer 8, you might want to consider upgrading to a new OS and a new version of Microsoft's web browser. A cyber attack has apparently revealed that there is an exploit that affects IE8.

No thank you. :no: Isn't that convenient though, an exploit that promotes downgrading from Windows XP to Windows 8. Change operating system to fix MSIE flaws? Ha! How about stop using MSIE.

Update: Microsoft has now issued an official security advisory on this exploit, which affects IE6, 7 and 8. Microsoft has some workarounds for people who might be affected by the issue and adds that it is " ... also actively working to package an easy, one-click Fix it solution that will help protect your computer." It should be released "in the next few days."

The comments naturally degenerate into a WinXP hate-fest because Generation ReTard cannot tolerate an Operating System designed for use by administrators rather than children.

Update 2013-01-03: in case anyone is not aware, the solution is out for that MSIE exploit: KB 2794220

Edited by CharlotteTheHarlot, 02 January 2013 - 11:27 PM.

vinifera

vinifera

<°)))><

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts
  • Joined 27-August 09
I'm even surprised they do fixes for IE 8
it is in their interest to kill win XP already
If you want true Windows user experience
try Longhorn builds: 3718, 4029, 4066

CharlotteTheHarlot

CharlotteTheHarlot

MSFN Master

• 2,054 posts
  • Joined 24-September 07
And yet another update on this story. To summarize, MSIE zero day flaw discovered ( IE6, IE7, IE8 ), Microsoft eventually fixed it, then the fix was nullified a day later ...

Exploit found in Internet Explorer 8; IE9 and 10 not affected [Update] ( NeoWin 2012-12-29 )

Update 2012-12-31: The solution is out for that MSIE exploit: KB 2794220

Security firm: We have bypassed Microsoft's IE6-8 "Fix it" patch ( NeoWin 2013-01-01 )

Exodus Intelligence's blog site claims that it took less than a day of work to find issues with the patch. It added, " .... we were able to bypass the fix and compromise a fully-patched system with a variation of the exploit we developed earlier this week." The company says it plans to release its findings to Microsoft.

Update 2013-01-13: And the next solution is coming through automatic updates tomorrow January 14 ...

Microsoft to plug critical IE vulnerability tomorrow with an out-of-band patch ( NeoWin 2013-01013 )

The out of band patch is marked as critical and will arrive on January 14th; the update will require you to restart your machine. ... The patch will be pushed out at approximately 10AM PST.

Update 2013-01-14: Patch is out ...

Microsoft releases full security update for IE6-8 ( NeoWin 2013-01014 )

EDIT: Updated again

JodyT

JodyT

• PipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Joined 05-April 11
I vote for Seamonkey. It renders modern pages the same as Firefox, thanks to it's Gecko engine revisions. But it's simpler like Netscape was. Seamonkey would be a good bet for MaxImRecoil (except for tabbing which never will, nor should go away.)

I run an unofficial x64 build of Seamonkey v2.15 on Windows XP Professional x64 Edition. It makes for a WONDERFUL, yet simple browsing experience.

Edited by JodyThornton, 12 January 2013 - 02:34 PM.

Racer63

Racer63
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 06-February 13
My vote is for SRWare Iron. Had no problems at all with a PIII :w00t:
Windows 8 Laptop
Windows 7 Laptop
Windows XP mini laptop
Windows XP "Bare Bones" Pentium III 256 RAM, 1 Ghz, my loved one

rethil

rethil
  • Banned