So FRUSTRATED! Please help ;(

Frustrated2012

Hey guys and gals... I really need some help. I have an HP Windows 7 Starter Netbook that is hanging at the "Microsoft Corporation" green bar loading screen on start up. I've tried everything.... I tried Ultimate Boot CD for Windows and WinBuilder Win7PE_SE......ok so I haven't tried everything but I have been working on it for a week and can not get anything to boot. Both UBCD4Win and Win7PE boot fine in VM but when I put it in the netbook it loads the files from the usb and then jumps back to the "Microsoft Corporation" screen and freezes!!! Is there some way to get past this??? Any info you could provide would be greatly appreciated.......

Thanks,

Frustrated2012

It's an HP Mini 110 with the Intel Atom processor. It has 3 usb 1 ethernet and a SD slot. If I can't get a PE to work I guess I'm either going to have to take it to the shop or pull the drive out and try and set it up as a slave but........... that would mean I admit defeat!!! ;)

There shouldn't any situation where your PC would boot a USB partly then failover to the HDD. Unless you aren't describing it properly.

I've worked on an HP Mini so I know it doesn't have a ODD in it. Are you using a USB key to boot your PE or using a USB CD drive? If using a USB key, you may run into volume size limits based on what file system your PE is built. Try using a 1-2GB (max) size USB key if possible.

If you have a USB CD drive, I'd try to boot up memtest in it.

Yeah its totally got me boggled. Its a USB key. It gives me the option to choose "Win7PE Boot Image, Ramdisk & Options" or "Grob" when I boot from USB. So I choose Win7PE and the USB key starts flashing while it says "Windows is loading files"....so I'm thinking yeah everything is cool and THEN the USB key goes black and the screen changes to the "Microsoft Corporation" status bar screen and freezes. I can't even image how it would be possible but yet here I sit writing this message. I guess I'm just going to have to take it down to the shop and let them pull the drive I'm just afraid they are going to MUCK it up........

1. Use Make_PE3.exe to prepare 7pe_x86_E.iso (Explorer version of 7 PE) - http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=23931

2. Use BOOT_USB.exe to prepare USB-stick bootable with 7 PE - http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=24424

(Select stick as Target Drive and use Format Stick with NTFS and Select your 7 PE ISO and press GO)

3. Boot from USB-stick and do anything you need

e.g. Install XP from USB by using WinNTSetup2_x86.exe and XP Setup ISO file in Virtual drive

Even better is to use Portable USB-harddisk e.g. Samsung S2

:)

Edited by wimb

Yeah its totally got me boggled. Its a USB key. It gives me the option to choose "Win7PE Boot Image, Ramdisk & Options" or "Grob" when I boot from USB. So I choose Win7PE and the USB key starts flashing while it says "Windows is loading files"....so I'm thinking yeah everything is cool and THEN the USB key goes black and the screen changes to the "Microsoft Corporation" status bar screen and freezes. I can't even image how it would be possible but yet here I sit writing this message. I guess I'm just going to have to take it down to the shop and let them pull the drive I'm just afraid they are going to MUCK it up........

I had a similar problem with a HP laptop booting BartPE and WINPE1 from USB stick several years ago, and the main reason was that while the system was loading (windows is loading files), the USB bus would be reset, and the connection to the USB stick would interrupted leaving me with a black screen or the WINPE logo and no activity whatsoever (I could see the USB stick stop flashing). I could only boot the laptop with the built-in cdrom drive, and using bartpe and winpe1 burned on CDRs. Eventually, I had to reorganize the internal HD after managing to boot the system with a winpe CDR, and configured a separate partitions for winpe, Windows XP, and data, and used Grub4DOS as a boot loader.

I think that even with a USB cd drive you may have problems, if what I suspect is correct (that is, if the issue is resetting of USB bus, instead of a problem with USB stick, then any USB external drive of any sort will not work). If you have network adapter and the drivers, perhaps you can build a custom winpe with the network drivers, and then try loading winpe via tftp, using another PC as the ftp server (there are free tftp progs available such as tftp32), as long as your NIC allows booting your netbook pc...

Another option you might try is:

1. depending on your RAM, create the absolute smallest bartpe, winpe or whatever recovery system you want as an iso file. Probably need to use your dekstop PC for that.

2. Get a copy of grub4dos, and install it on your usb stick.

3. place a copy of the system recovery iso file on your usb

4. Use wincontig or similar utility to ensure that your iso file on the USB stick is contiguous (not fragmented and is contiguous in one piece)

5. Prepare your grub menu for loading/booting the iso image into your ram (see grub4dos documentation for using iso images for booting with the grub MAP command for details)

When you boot your netbook with the usb stick grub will take conrol and load the iso image to ram, and this may help bypass the USB bus reset issue, since the system recovery iso will be already loaded into ram, and will pass the control to continue booting your system from the ram! (that is why it is important that you have to create the absolute smallest ISO image).

Note: there are similarities between this method and using tftp server (booting from network), as during the network boot (with tftp), the netbook will read the boot image (your iso file or any boot image file you prepared) and load it into ram, and then boot your system from ram. In the above method instead of loading the boot image from tftp, you are loading it from USB via grub4dos. Keep in mind that your USB should contain the iso image of winpe or bart pe, not the extracted contents of the winpe/bartpe cdr image. This is different than what happens if you use WIMB's sugegstion item-2 method, where the contents of the winpe ISO are extracted to the USB. With the normal method (winpe files extracted to USB), the syste will try to load windows files from the USB, and sometimes during/after loading windows files, USB bus will be interrupted/reset, and will not be able to proceed with booting the system. If you load the WINPE into RAM (grub map into memory/ram the winpe.iso image file) then the windows system will be already in the RAM, and when the system starts loading winows files, any USB bus reset or interruption should not have any effect, since the files are available in the RAM, where the pc will be loading the stuff!!!

Edited by daremo

Another option you might try is:

1. depending on your RAM, create the absolute smallest bartpe, winpe or whatever recovery system you want as an iso file. Probably need to use your dekstop PC for that.

2. Get a copy of grub4dos, and install it on your usb stick.

3. place a copy of the system recovery iso file on your usb

4. Use wincontig or similar utility to ensure that your iso file on the USB stick is contiguous (not fragmented and is contiguous in one piece)

5. Prepare your grub menu for loading/booting the iso image into your ram (see grub4dos documentation for using iso images for booting with the grub MAP command for details)

When you boot your netbook with the usb stick grub will take conrol and load the iso image to ram, and this may help bypass the USB bus reset issue, since the system recovery iso will be already loaded into ram, and will pass the control to continue booting your system from the ram! (that is why it is important that you have to create the absolute smallest ISO image).

The .iso NEEDS to be set ofr ramdisk booting (Windows Server 2003 SP1 files) or you need Firadisk or Winvblock (or similar) Ramdisk drivers enabled, possibly in a grub4dos loaded floppy image, otherwise you will get the usual 0x0000007b BSOD.

jaclaz