Bye bye Nod32 :}

RFMaster

ESET Nod32 v2.7 for 9x Support ends May 29, 2012. So, we only have 2 more months to download virus signature database updates...

I see that info this morning when I downloaded the upgrades.

post-291521-0-19485800-1333022220_thumb.

I kinda suspect that ESET Nod32 Anti-Virus had supported Windows 95, 98 and Me for a awful long time and almost six years after the later two OSes went out of support. :(

If you want to continue using Anti-Virus software under Windows 98/Me, using ClamWin Anti-Virus (which is built using Visual Studio 2005) is the only viable option.

Edited by ppgrainbow

If you have a network that includes a more modern system, you can use the ESET Online Scanner to scan your Windows 98 machine via the network. That's what I do for my Win98 (FE and SE) machines. The Online Scanner stopped working on FE a year or two ago, but it does seem to run networked when I run in through my Vista (IE8) system. It still worked directly on the SE machine last time I tried it some months back.

--JorgeA

If you want to continue using Anti-Virus software under Windows 98/Me, using ClamWin Anti-Virus (which is built using Visual Studio 2005) is the only viable option.

Of course, it's time to look for another AV solution.

The Online Scanner stopped working on FE a year or two ago, but it does seem to run networked when I run in through my Vista (IE8) system. It still worked directly on the SE machine last time I tried it some months back.

--JorgeA

Well, I actively use the FE and only sometimes SE.

Of course, it's time to look for another AV solution.

The Online Scanner stopped working on FE a year or two ago, but it does seem to run networked when I run in through my Vista (IE8) system. It still worked directly on the SE machine last time I tried it some months back.

--JorgeA

Well, I actively use the FE and only sometimes SE.

RFMaster,

Do you have a home network that includes a more recent OS than Windows 98? If you do, then you can try this suggestion. You can browse to the Eset Online Scanner and then use it to scan your Win98 system from there.

If you don't have a home network, as you reported you will not get new updates for NOD32, but that doesn't mean your computer will now go unprotected. There are still some antivirus products out there that continue to work on Win98 and receive regular updates. ClamWin and Avast! 4.8 have been mentioned in this thread, and the anti-malware Spybot Search & Destroy works well on my new Win98FE system (fresh install last summer).

There are a number of threads in the Windows 98 subforum (this one) that deal with solutions for keeping your Win98 PC protected. Try this one: and this one: You may have to abandon NOD32 since it will no longer be updated, and it might take doing a little research on your part, but I have no doubt that you can find an adequate alternative to NOD32 that will help to keep your computer protected well into the future.

Good luck, and let us know how things work for you.

--JorgeA

Do you have a home network...

No, and i don't need that.

I always use nod, but approximately 2 years ago, I used Avast, not long, about 1 month

and than i back to NOD, because I saw that Avast "says" that, there will be upgrades to May 1, 2012.

That is why I was back to nod32.

Now I plan to try ClamWin + Clam Sentinel.