Get The Classic Start Menu - WIndows 8 DP

Well, if there was someone I wanted to convince to use W8, then this person would be Andre only!

I don't know how to sound your nick (just all the consonants together!) but I feel like your post. It helpfully prevents me from this headachy talk.

Hope you have a nice weekend. Regards.

What I really like from W8 are:

- Automatic in Window Color and Appeareance is awesome. I don't have to go to the Personalize to change color theme everytime I change the wallpaper.

- Windows Defender works perfect. I don't need to install any other anti-malware or anti-virus programes on my computer. I find it working better than Avira and Avast.

- Task Manager looks nice.The ribbon on the Explorer works good enough so I needn't install Classic Shell as I did on W7.

- I don't have to install Daemon Tools as I did on W7.

My Window Color is always the same, ProcessHacker is free and works or all Windows version, Defender/MSE sucks and is a huge performance issue causer and the ISO mounting is buggy (no remount at boot, drive number changes which causes issues when installing software which requires reboot).

And for this 4 things you pay over 150 bucks? I don't get it, sorry.

I don't like the Metro screen then I ignore it, just working on the desktop only and it doesn't bother me at all. That's why I consider it just a small problem.

but Metro is the future according to MS. The old desktop and all technology is dead for MS. And you are bothered all the time with metro (Metro/Aero Mix of dialogs all other the OS).

Edited by MagicAndre1981

I don't know if what I called the features is exactly the same features you guys called. What I really like from W8 are:

- Automatic in Window Color and Appeareance is awesome. I don't have to go to the Personalize to change color theme everytime I change the wallpaper.

- Windows Defender works perfect. I don't need to install any other anti-malware or anti-virus programes on my computer. I find it working better than Avira and Avast.

- Task Manager looks nice.The ribbon on the Explorer works good enough so I needn't install Classic Shell as I did on W7.

Aloha,

If I may, I agree with your points. Of all the improvements, I think the Ribbon in Explorer is my favorite. I love the Ribbon.:ph34r:

That's why it makes me upset that Microsoft has to mingle the rest of the operating system with its Metro nonsense. I wouldn't have a problem (I don't think anyone would) if it was an optional feature (Start Screen and all).

Strangely enough, for the longest time, I thought Windows 7 already had the new "Automatic" aero theme...

Just my two cents!

I'm sure that opinions about Win8 will continue to be posted, because it has definitely irritated a lot of people, but the opinions are not meant as any kind of affront toward you. People are just expressing their dissatisfaction with the decisions that MS seems to be making, and describing how those decisions would effect how they currently use their PC in their daily lives.

You said it better than I could. I couldn't care less what OS others want or don't want to use. And there's nothing one could say that will make me want to use Win8 in its current state, ever.

Win8 will not support DVD\Blue ray out of the box (Rumor has it you will be able to buy a "package" to get these)

It's not a rumor, MS said so on their site several times. No WMC, no DVD playback. You get to pay extra for Win8 Pro, then extra for the WMC pack (and even then, WMP still doesn't play DVDs, only WMC does, and still no Blu-Ray support either)

Much like MagicAndre1981 said, I never change it (that'd be a real pain too, considering my wallpaper changes every 15 minutes). In fact, I've never seen anyone change it manually. That's hardly a feature worth paying $150 for, let alone suffering Metro hell for.

I always disable Defender in the first place, and I'd rather MSE be optional too. Either ways, you already had defender, and the exact same AV (MSE) was free. It just took a couple clicks to install. All you gained is saving those 2 clicks.

- Task Manager looks nice.

That's one of the couple features that are somewhat nice. But like MagicAndre1981 said, ProcessExplorer and ProcessHacker are both free, and arguably better in several ways.

The ribbon on the Explorer works good enough

I have nothing against it, but I'm going to use the keyboard regardless. If anything the best part of it (and arguably the best part of Win8) is explorer's new file copying dialogs, but even then something like TeraCopy already does basically the same thing for free on other versions of Windows.

Like MagicAndre1981 said, it has its fair share of issues, and it's very much feature-light, even compared to a version of Daemon Tools that's a decade old (or a number of other free tools). Like most utilities they add to the OS (e.g. zip file handling) it's very much half-as*ed and barely manages to replace the minimal feature set of similar utilities.

I don't like the Metro screen then I ignore it, just working on the desktop only

So you just pretend it doesn't exist anymore (except for when you're forced to use it against your will). You basically lost the start menu and are willing to just accept it. As MagicAndre1981 said, Windows is heading in that direction regardless. Even other parts of Windows are going to be that way by the time the next "beta" (RC) is released. Various dialogs and seemingly also some really ugly super-wide mouse cursors (see the pic below). Oh, and seemingly they're going to make activating it more of a pain. Forget about just reusing the OEM's key like you could on Vista and Win7, that option is now gone. Seemingly they're taking lessons from Hollywood execs, and making their paying customers (and IT folks) suffer, because extreme DRM will kill piracy, like, for sure this time.

Yet another reason not to buy Win8:

ymTFp.jpg

Andre,

It's still an evalution copy and I can use it until Jan 2013. Eight months is a long time to a changeable person like me.

----------------------

UltimateSilence,

I am glad to know you love the Ribbon too. On another forum I joined, most people who tried W8 said they hated the Ribbon just because it was too big for the Explorer!

---------------------

CoffeeFiend,

You are very good at picking out parts of what I said so that you can show out your best replies. You asked me what were the good features I liked and I gave you the list. You don't need to object it one by one and tell me something I already predicted in my last post. Here it is again in case you missed it:

And maybe the above features are only nice to me. They might be a disaster or just a fiddle-faddle to the others, I'm not sure.

Btw, I am not a kid eager for changing the desktop wallpaper every 15 minutes. I have no problem doing it manually just three or four times a week. Then, the automatic theme has served this purpose perfectly therein, don't you think so?

You are very good at picking out parts of what I said

I didn't really pick parts. I pretty much quoted the entire thing line by line (not that I see anything wrong with just commenting on the interesting parts either). It just makes it easier to see what one is replying to. It's very much the same thing as MagicAndre1981 said, just written in a more "structured" way.

You don't need to object it one by one

I see no harm in doing so either (it's a forum, where people can have and express opinions, you know -- just like bphlpt explained before). It's not like we're trying to convince you or anything. We're just just voicing opinions. All we're saying is that it brings very, very little outside of Metro (not that Metro is a good thing). And most of that is matched or even surpassed by freeware. Feel free to disagree altogether with everything I said.

And maybe the above features are only nice to me. They might be a disaster or just a fiddle-faddle to the others

That's about the only sentence I hadn't quoted (I didn't see the point of it). But yes, that's pretty much the case according to a lot of people.

I am not a kid eager for changing the desktop wallpaper every 15 minutes

I don't see why not. Nice new pics every time you peek at the desktop. You get to enjoy more awesome pics that way too (I have about 2000 of them in a folder that are on rotation). Everyone at work keeps asking about them. It's also a great way to get rid of some of the lesser ones (I have a shortcut that deletes the not-so-great ones in 2 clicks so they're never seen again, leaving you with only the absolute best stuff -- it's less work to sort them this way too). It's like a slow-paced slideshow of awesome photos. It's less of a hassle to have it change them automatically than manually changing them yourself. I'd never go back.

the automatic theme has served this purpose perfectly therein, don't you think so?

I can't quite grasp what you meant there. Sorry.

CoffeeFiend,

When you broke my sentence and didn't quote it as a whole you might somehow misunderstand what I wanted to tell you. Besides, you skipped my major opinion in my posts. I've implied that what I like might be what you don't like. I have my own reasons to like W8, and you have your own reasons to dislike it. I also said I liked BP's post because I didn't want to discuss about this any more, then why bother quoting my post again?

About the last part of my post you said you didn't understand, I'll try to make it clear now. I am talking about this:

If I choose this Automatic feature and my desktop wallpaper changes every 15 minutes, of course the theme will change its color (to match with the wallpaper color) every 15 minutes too and surely this will be very annoying.

The monitor I'm using is only 19 inches in size with the default resolution of 1280x1024. When I play a game I have it run in fullscreen. When I watch a film, I enjoy it in fullscreen too. If I open Word or Excel, they are also in fullscreen. And when I am suffing the net, the browser is always open in maximize, not window. See? I rarely look at the desktop wallpaper, and if I do I don't stare at it for long. I don't need something automatically changing the wallpaper every 15 minutes while I am playing a game because I can't see it at all. And if I happen to see a nice picture on the net and decide to set it as the wallpaper, I do it myself, nothing can do it for me. I choose to do this change manually every two days. This means, the theme will automatically change the color just every two days. And in this case, exactly it is my case, the automatic feature is completely suitable to my purpose and I like it.

That's what I tried to tell you. Don't say that you don't grasp it again!

Edit: remove the image

Edited by Aloha

then why bother quoting my post again?

Why not? Even if you don't feel like discussing things, or that you dislike that others are voicing their opinions about Win8 (if that's the case, then I strongly recommend getting rid of internet until Win9 is out), people will still reply, comment, share their thoughts and so on. That's the whole point of forums. If you don't want to discuss things then don't. Others are still free to do so. I don't really see what the big deal is here.

the theme will change its color (to match with the wallpaper color) every 15 minutes too and surely this will be very annoying.

I don't personally see how it would be annoying. It's one of those things I couldn't really care less about. Either ways, mine is set to whatever it was when you install the OS. Then again, why make such a big deal of wallpapers when you say you hardly ever see it in the first place?

That's what I tried to tell you. Don't say that you don't grasp it again!

I understand what you said in this post (let's call it "the explanation"), but I still can't quite understand the exact sense of the original sentence (my English isn't perfect, sorry).

There's no Windows Classic theme in Windows 8 :realmad: :angrym: :thumbdown

There's no classic anything in Win8. It seems like they're doing their best to kill everything Windows was, and are only letting you use "legacy" desktop apps to "smooth out" the transition to their desktopless phone OS. Everything that remains from previous Windows versions is quickly getting Metro-ified :puke:

There's no classic anything in Win8. It seems like they're doing their best to kill everything Windows was, and are only letting you use "legacy" desktop apps to "smooth out" the transition to their desktopless phone OS. Everything that remains from previous Windows versions is quickly getting Metro-ified :puke:

Hear, hear. But things are even worse than that: Metro style is starting to take over Microsoft's websites, with those full-color rectangles and plain flat arrows. I just updated my Norton 360 to version 6, and it too is blemished by that flat, plain look. Talk about a spreading computer "virus." :rolleyes:

--JorgeA

Hear, hear. But things are even worse than that: Metro style is starting to take over Microsoft's websites, with those full-color rectangles and plain flat arrows. I just updated my Norton 360 to version 6, and it too is blemished by that flat, plain look. Talk about a spreading computer "virus." :rolleyes:

--JorgeA

JorgeA,

Fun-fact! The last time Microsoft based their website on an operating system was Windows Vista. Look how well that turned out? History is repeating itself. :w00t:

Note: Not bashing Vista, just Metro.

Edited by UltimateSilence

Fun-fact! The last time Microsoft based their website on an operating system was Windows Vista. Look how well that turned out? History is repeating itself. :w00t:

UltimateSilence,

No kidding!? I never realized that, wow. Back in 2006-7 I wasn't nearly as attuned to tech developments as I am today, so MS's adopting the Vista look went right past me. B) <-- in this case not cool, but blind!

--JorgeA

Do these interesting apps, like the one above described, let you use Windows 8 by "disabling" the Metro UI from the start screen completely?

Microsoft should know that it's stupid to change a recipe that is successfull. :no:

UltimateSilence,

No kidding!? I never realized that, wow. Back in 2006-7 I wasn't nearly as attuned to tech developments as I am today, so MS's adopting the Vista look went right past me. B) <-- in this case not cool, but blind!

--JorgeA

I think it is one of Microsoft's finest designs.

Sorry for going OT twice, mods. :ph34r:

post-338109-0-10347300-1337071865_thumb.