Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Get The Classic Start Menu - WIndows 8 DP

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

xpclient

xpclient

XP was my idea. 3rd party apps make NT6 my idea.

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
We have released a skin for Classic Shell over at Winaero. :)

It looks good in Windows 8, much better than default skins. The skins shipping as part of Classic Shell do not match the look of the Windows 7 Start Menu or the style of Windows 8. Many settings also need to be heavily tweaked to get a more closer look. We tried to match the look on Windows 8 while making some changes from the Windows 7 style. For example, the skin has square corners, not rounded corners, like Windows 8 has. Also, because Windows 8 no longer has blur or glow, the glass is replaced by simple transparency, just like the Windows 8 taskbar uses. Semi-transparent Start Menu without blur makes the content behind it much harder to read, so we made the skin with very subtle transparency, that keeps the content behind it readable.

Download link: http://winaero.com/b...-classic-shell/
Please read the provided FAQ there.

Sample:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by xpclient, 23 March 2013 - 01:20 PM.

Impossible to run NT6 without third party fixes.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

NoelC

NoelC

Software Engineer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts
I've thought of an advantage to ClassicShell that maybe hasn't been brought up much...

Consistency across platforms!

I have it running on Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8 machines at the moment.

I have Vista x64 on an old workstation that now serves as a file server. I don't log into it much, but after having switched to ClassicShell on my main Windows 7 workstation, I found myself wanting the UI to be better on the Vista system whenever I'd log in for maintenance or whatever... Bingo, ClassicShell solves that problem.

I run Windows 8 in a Virtual Machine for development and testing. Bingo, ClassicShell solves the problem there too.

Gotta love an application that does its job better than Microsoft's own software and provides consistency on no fewer than THREE generations of OS. Bravo Ivo (and thanks for your part too, xpclient).

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

-Noel

xpclient

xpclient

XP was my idea. 3rd party apps make NT6 my idea.

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
Yeah, it fixes different annoyances on each f***ed up NT6 OS Posted Image Thanks.

Impossible to run NT6 without third party fixes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN