Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

WMI Tools on Windows 8?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,702 posts

Donator

When doing initial research for how to make my programs better, I rely on an old program:
WMI Toolkit

Mostly just the WMI Object Browser. Well this either does not work with Windows 8 or IE 10. While it is fine for me to manually connect to root\CIMV2, and I can see *some* classes, the values (even for those) do not appear. For example, while Win32_BaseBoard does not show up in the classes list (classes that can have instances) in the Object Browser, I can actually read data from it using a test program.

Are there any other WMI object tools that will work on Windows 8 or IE 10?
MSFN RULES | GimageX HTA for PE 3.x | lol probloms
msfn2_zpsc37c7153.jpg

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

iamtheky

iamtheky

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts
Maybe different results with the autoit variety of Scriptomatic this version of Scriptomatic?

Edited by iamtheky, 23 April 2012 - 03:26 PM.

iamtheKy

CoffeeFiend

CoffeeFiend

Coffee Aficionado

• Super Moderator
  • 5,399 posts
Several more options which I've used (untested on Win8, all tested on Win7) :

-WMI Code Creator
-PowerShell Scriptomatic or the classic Scriptomatic 2.0
-WMI Explorer
-PowerShell WMI Explorer

Then again just typing
gwmi SomeClassNameHere
or
gwmi SomeClassNameHere | gm
in PowerShell is often enough to get the infos you want without using a fancy tool (obviously no code generation there).
Coffee: \ˈkȯ-fē, ˈkä-\. noun. Heaven in a cup. Life's only treasure. The meaning of life. Kaffee ist wunderbar. C8H10N4O2 FTW.

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,702 posts

Donator

The Powershell one looks promising. I have no problem writing the scripts and I already know what the classes are. Typically, I use the WMI Object Browser because I know what data I am looking for, but do not know what class or instance it is in. But I will definately check a couple of those out!
MSFN RULES | GimageX HTA for PE 3.x | lol probloms
msfn2_zpsc37c7153.jpg

cluberti

cluberti

Gustatus similis pullus

• Supervisor
  • 11,250 posts
wbemtest still exists and works too, although not as easy to use as some of the others.
MCTS Windows Internals, MCITP Server 2008 EA, MCTS MDT/BDD, MCSE/MCSA Server 2003, Server 2012, Windows 8
--------------------
Please read the rules before posting!
Please consider donating to MSFN to keep it up and running!

MrJinje

MrJinje

Tool™ Developer

• Developer
  • 1,032 posts
Sapien has a freeware WMI Explorer. It's similar yet different from the WMI Explorer from Advanced Host Monitor (linked in Coffee's post)

http://www.softpedia...-Explorer.shtml

CoffeeFiend

CoffeeFiend

Coffee Aficionado

• Super Moderator
  • 5,399 posts

Sapien has a freeware WMI Explorer. It's similar yet different from the WMI Explorer from Advanced Host Monitor (linked in Coffee's post)

http://www.softpedia...-Explorer.shtml

While I've never tried that one, I have to say that Sapien makes some pretty rad stuff. PrimalScript is a great little tool for those who still do VBScript. I haven't tried their PowerShell utils though.
Coffee: \ˈkȯ-fē, ˈkä-\. noun. Heaven in a cup. Life's only treasure. The meaning of life. Kaffee ist wunderbar. C8H10N4O2 FTW.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN