Welcome to MSFN

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tripredacus

WMI Tools on Windows 8?

7 posts in this topic

When doing initial research for how to make my programs better, I rely on an old program:

WMI Toolkit

Mostly just the WMI Object Browser. Well this either does not work with Windows 8 or IE 10. While it is fine for me to manually connect to root\CIMV2, and I can see *some* classes, the values (even for those) do not appear. For example, while Win32_BaseBoard does not show up in the classes list (classes that can have instances) in the Object Browser, I can actually read data from it using a test program.

Are there any other WMI object tools that will work on Windows 8 or IE 10?

Several more options which I've used (untested on Win8, all tested on Win7) :

-WMI Code Creator

-PowerShell Scriptomatic or the classic Scriptomatic 2.0

-WMI Explorer

-PowerShell WMI Explorer

Then again just typing

gwmi SomeClassNameHere

or

gwmi SomeClassNameHere | gm

in PowerShell is often enough to get the infos you want without using a fancy tool (obviously no code generation there).

The Powershell one looks promising. I have no problem writing the scripts and I already know what the classes are. Typically, I use the WMI Object Browser because I know what data I am looking for, but do not know what class or instance it is in. But I will definately check a couple of those out!

wbemtest still exists and works too, although not as easy to use as some of the others.

Sapien has a freeware WMI Explorer. It's similar yet different from the WMI Explorer from Advanced Host Monitor (linked in Coffee's post)

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Info/SAPIEN-WMI-Explorer.shtml

While I've never tried that one, I have to say that Sapien makes some pretty rad stuff. PrimalScript is a great little tool for those who still do VBScript. I haven't tried their PowerShell utils though.