WMI Tools on Windows 8?

Tripredacus

When doing initial research for how to make my programs better, I rely on an old program:

WMI Toolkit

Mostly just the WMI Object Browser. Well this either does not work with Windows 8 or IE 10. While it is fine for me to manually connect to root\CIMV2, and I can see *some* classes, the values (even for those) do not appear. For example, while Win32_BaseBoard does not show up in the classes list (classes that can have instances) in the Object Browser, I can actually read data from it using a test program.

Are there any other WMI object tools that will work on Windows 8 or IE 10?

Several more options which I've used (untested on Win8, all tested on Win7) :

-WMI Code Creator

-PowerShell Scriptomatic or the classic Scriptomatic 2.0

-WMI Explorer

-PowerShell WMI Explorer

Then again just typing

gwmi SomeClassNameHere

or

gwmi SomeClassNameHere | gm

in PowerShell is often enough to get the infos you want without using a fancy tool (obviously no code generation there).

The Powershell one looks promising. I have no problem writing the scripts and I already know what the classes are. Typically, I use the WMI Object Browser because I know what data I am looking for, but do not know what class or instance it is in. But I will definately check a couple of those out!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Sapien has a freeware WMI Explorer. It's similar yet different from the WMI Explorer from Advanced Host Monitor (linked in Coffee's post)

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Info/SAPIEN-WMI-Explorer.shtml

While I've never tried that one, I have to say that Sapien makes some pretty rad stuff. PrimalScript is a great little tool for those who still do VBScript. I haven't tried their PowerShell utils though.