E6600 motherboard replacement

RJM

I had a E6600 overclocked to 3.4Ghz on a Asus P5w-dh-delux which died on me last week. Troubleshooting seems to be a memory problem so I ordered a new stick of DDR2 which won't be here to Friday. Being pessimistic I assume that my mother board has died instead of both my memory sticks (See help with my desktop thread). I've looked for LGA775 mother boards on Newegg and found these two that I am considering. One has DDR3 and one DDR2, I'm looking at the DDR3 board since DDR3 RAM is much cheaper and could be incorporated into my next build when I am employed again.

DDR2

BIOSTAR T41 HD LGA 775 Intel G41 ATX Intel Motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138157

DDR3

ASUS P5G41T-M LX PLUS LGA 775 Intel G41 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard DDR

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131794

I'm looking for a board with at least 4 SATA 2 or 3 ports, 1 PCIE 16, and 2 PCI slots.

Equipment to be transferred 3 SATA-2 hard drives, ATI-HD5670, dial up modem PCI, 4port SATA controller PCI and a TDK DVD burner PATA for which I can get a $7.00 adapter from Newegg to convert it to SATA.

PATA to SATA $6.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812186095

Thanks for your opinions and alternatives.

Edited by RJM

I would avoid the G41 chipset as it include onboard video and you shouldn't need it with the ATI HD5670. But of course most big shops doesn't sell most of lga775 socket motherboard with another chipset (like an ich8 or an ich9).

... TDK DVD burner PATA for which I can get a $7.00 adapter from Newegg to convert it to SATA.

PATA to SATA $6.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812186095

Get a new drive and save yourself the trouble you can get into, cost 8USD more but I can tell you it is worth it.

And the 2 motherboards you posted, I would go with the ASUS with DDR3.

I would avoid the G41 chipset as it include onboard video and you shouldn't need it with the ATI HD5670. But of course most big shops doesn't sell most of lga775 socket motherboard with another chipset (like an ich8 or an ich9).

The old ICH7 was the reason why I bought up to upgrade o a LGA1155 system, and sell the "old" parts.

Yes either sell old hardware and replace it by something new or try to find a motherboard with P35 chipset like this one as this will give you an ich9 and don't take you back in time to much.

I totally agree with you i never heard a good feed back about Biostar make (but perhaps it isn't that bad) but the motherboard doesn't seem to support than 4GB of memory !!!!! How a make can do such a useless product (i could understand only 4GB for a laptop/industrial motherboard but never for a desktop computer) ?

I wouldn't focus on getting an ich10 but more on getting at least an ich8 if you want to keep your cpu and RAM. Anyway as i see it, and if it was for me, i wouldn't try too much to repair or buy old parts in this particular case. I would just have one more reason to buy an ivy bridge (when they are out but it should very soon) and sell all unneeded parts.

Never mind, my 1 GB memory stick came today and I’m back up. Ordered another 1 GB stick, and with my 1Gb video card and 2 Gb memory I’m about full up on a 32 bit OS. I will RMA the original 2 sticks of Gskill memory as they have a lifetime warrantee. Then I’ll have 4 GB but I won’t be able to see all of it

Thanks for the suggestions.

Edited by RJM