Office 2007 and Office 2010

mike13

I am currently running Windows 7, 64 bit. WhenI I purchased the computer, Office 2007 was preinstalled. I recently tried to install Office 2010 Pro Plus 64bit and I can't install it. I get a message that I have to first remove my current version of Office 2007, becasue it is 32 bit. I would REALLY like to keep Office 2007 if I could, just in case I do not like Office 2010. Is there a way to do that ?? If not, and I have to remove Office 2007, will I loose all my email messages and address etc ??

Outlook generally gives you the option to backup your email/addresses etc...I never did it in Outlook 2007 but in Outlook 2003 it would be under File...Import/Export and export the .pst file someplace safe. Hope that at least points you in the right direction.

Edited by SearanoX

Is there a particular reason you wish to install Office 2010 64bit? Microsoft recommends using the 32bit version unless you need a specific 64bit extension (there aren't many), are developing one, or need to open files larger than 2GB.

SearanoX--Thanks for the reply. Yes I know there is a way to backup the emails and address, but I always had issues with it.

cluberti--Thanks for the reply. No, there is no reason for me to install the 64 bit version of Office 2010. But I also tried to install the

32 bit version of Office 2010, but that did not work either. I think I got a message that my operating system was not a match because it

was 64 bit and I was trying to install 32 bit Office 2010. I don't understand that, because I currently have Office 2007 installed and that is a

a 32 bit version. I would think that since I currently have Office 2007 32 bit, there should be no problem installing Office 2010 32 bit ????

Mike

If you have trouble exporting the data itself, close down outlook. Now I'm speaking for Outlook 2003 but it might be the same for Outlook 2007 which I want to get eventually. But I usually put in %appdata% in the address bar which takes you to the roaming folder. Go up one level and you see Local, LocalLOW, and Roaming, go into Local, and now my memory is a little fuzzy here but it might be in Microsoft and then Outlook. The PST should be in there and you can do a simple copy and paste. I started doing that and it's a lot faster and easier than exporting via Outlook.

As for your installation trouble, maybe post a screenshot of the error you're receiving? I know 64-bit Windows is picky about certain applications but Office shouldn't be. Office 2007 and Office 2010 both 32-bit should go hand in hand but I could see the problem if you tried installing a 64 bit version over a 32 bit version. But if you worried about your outlook data, try my method to get your stuff in a safe place and then experiment with it.

OK, I do not know what I did wrong the first time, but last evening I was successful at installing Office 2010 32 bit on the computer. At the beginning of the install, I chose CUSTOM, and kept all the programs that were included with Office 2007, so now I have 2010 and also 2007. When I opened up OUTLOOK 2010, it imported all my emails and address from 2007, so that is good. If all stays good, I do plan to remove Office 2007 , but for now, I will keep both versions. Again, thanks to all that gave support and suggestions, Mike