PCI Network Controller help (win 98se)

zanet

I have PCI Network Controller listed under "reserved device" in the device manager that is causing a resource conflict (code 15). The system can't find any drivers for it and it just reinstalls if I try to remove it and reboot. Windows troubleshooter suggests it's a plug n play device because it has a "manual configuration" option.

Is plug n play the same as hardware that requires usb access? If so, I only have one usb port being used (a dsl modem) and that says it's working fine. There's nothing showing in the conflicted device list on the resource tab, so I have no idea what the conflict is. The only thing I have to go on is the manufacturer is Intel. I haven't added any new hardware to this machine. Any ideas how this can be fixed?

I do suspect the mentioned device does not have a proper driver installed. Windows calls a "PCI Network Controller" every PCI network adapter it does not have drivers to.

"Plug and play" means a plug and play and not USB. Since the name refers to the PCI bus, it is certain it has nothing to do with USB bus.

I think you mistook the device conflict with unknown device without a proper driver installed.

Why not go into properties and 'disable this device'? It should not have conflict if it is disabled. Do you want to use it? If so, put in the model #. I have some driver packages I gleaned from the net for a few modems and network cards that are hard to find.

tom

I don't think device manager gives me the option to disable it. If I knew exactly what "it" is I'd try and find the drivers and install them and / or see if I could remove the hardware from my system. That's the main problem here. How do you find out what you need when the system gives you such limited information? Is there some kind of diagnostic tool I can use to see what "it" is?

There is a web site that will link the entries in the registry to actual products. PCI cards have 'names' that are hex strings that can be matched to word names that people understand. Get the PIC hex name and find the PCI directory on the web to find out what it is that is 'unknown'.

tom

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone happen to know what site Tomw is referring to? Also, could someone tell me the directory path in the registry where the PCI Network Controllers are located?

Here's one (can't remember another, but found this one)...

In the Registry is where you'll find the ID's...

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ENUM\PCI"

Below that, you'll see the Hardware ID's.

Edited by submix8c

I don't know if I did this right but I went through the list of PCI devices under ENUM\PCI and only found one "unknown" device. I wrote down what I thought was the ID / hex code: ven_1813&dev_4100&subsys_8a0016ef&rev_01. However, the codes on the site you listed are all shorter, so I'm not 100% sure but I think I found it here. The thing is if it's for the ham modem I've already installed the drivers for that from the installation cd. Case in point, when I click on "ham modem" under device manager it says the device is working properly. Can someone confirm if I've got the correct "code" and done this right?

Edit: It doesn't look like they provide any drivers on that site. Any idea where I can get them?

Edited by zanet

The thing is if it's for the ham modem I've already installed the drivers for that from the installation cd. Case in point, when I click on "ham modem" under device manager it says the device is working properly. Can someone confirm if I've got the correct "code" and done this right?
"Unknown Device" is what we were looking for.
HaM plus Data Fax Modem

PCI\VEN_1813&DEV_4100

Vendor ID: 1813 Ambient Technologies Inc

Device ID: 4100

Which Windows do you have installed (95, 98,ME)? Is ist a "fresh" install (from "scratch")? I'm a little confused if you used the Original Install CD for it. I found a set of drivers for the above but not for the full (which includes SubSys) string.

Check these out and see if they match what's on the actual Card (inside the PC). Hopefully, you'll have enough know-how to pull the side off the PC (AFTER you turn it off and unplug it AND the monitor) and look at it. The main thing to look for is an FCC-ID.

For the "4100"

For the below "4000"

The only "SubSys" I found was for "Intel V92 HaM Data Fax Voice" -

VEN_1813&DEV_4000&SUBSYS_00018086&REV_02

or

VEN_1813&DEV_4000

...which appears to be incorrect.

Note that this is referred to as a "Soft Modem" and "creates" a "fake" COM port.

You initially said

PCI Network Controller listed under "reserved device" in the device manager that is causing a resource conflict (code 15). The system can't find any drivers for it
Why would you say "can't find drivers"?

Look here for info/help on Conflict.