Unofficial SP 5.2 for Microsoft Windows 2000 (WIP)

tomasz86

@tomasz86

Hi Tom i've uploaded the file on skydrive...

in the meantime i've searched for a PE tool capable to replace the whole STRING TABLE or MESSAGE TABLE type of resource

but unfortunately - nothing found - so i'm replacing manually (monkey-job) every string or message ENG to ITA with Resource Hacker :angry:

I'd like to know if kernel32.dll version 5.0.2195.7187 will be the definitive version included in the final release of Unofficial SP; OR if you're planning some other critical change, 'cause in this case i'll wait until the final release will be ready!

Thanks & regards

Hackeronte

Edited by Hackeronte

This is very bad news. It would be really nice to just be able to copy and paste all of those strings from ITA to ENU :} Replacing them one by one is a pain and very problematic when a new version of the file has been released and you've got to start everything from the beginning...

Please wait for a moment until I check the last version of BWC kernel (I'll try to do it until tomorrow). If there's no difference then yes, kernel32 5.0.2195.7187 will be probably included in the stable version of UURollup-v11. The other one in the NT6 folder may still change so please don't work on it yet ;)

Tom, maybe i've expressed myself imprecisely :

SURE, it IS possible to copy and paste every single string and message with one of these tools:

Resource Hacker (free)

Resource Tuner (shrwr)

Resource Tuner Console (shrwr)

PE explorer (shrwr)

Restorator 2007 (shrwr) etc. etc.

What i was looking for it was a tool capable of replace THE WHOLE String Table or Message Table at once (in a single operation)

i'm still searching with the hope to find some obscure or underground rev. eng. site in the unfathomed deep of the Internet abyss :lol:

hiding such little jewel.

In the meantime i've already replaced (as a personal experiment) almost the 60% :P of the ENU resources of kernerl32 ver. 5.0.2195.7187

copyng and pasting :( every single line contained in the res section of the DLL

But i'm agree with you: i'll wait until your realese will reach a reasonable point of stability in his developement...Or at least until you will tell me:

"O.K. lad this version of exe or dll is the definitive one" :lol:

At the same time i'll check the progress of your project...I've got an eye on you, man :D!

Cheer

HaCkErOnTe

P.S.

Can you confirm that the number of strings table directories is different in the two (ENU, ITA) Kernel32.dll ?

Edited by Hackeronte

@tomasz86

Hey bud, know anything about this?

Second chance exception 0xC0000005 (Access Violation) occurred in "COMCTL32.DLL" at address 0x72721014

This is when I try running the latest Who Wants to be a Millionaire PC game on my computer (the Ludia version). It used to work as long as I had the DirectX 9 expansion installed but now I get this error everytime I try launching the game. Let me know!

@Hackeronte I've finally managed to compare the two kernel32.dll files (ITA & ENU) and you're 100% right that there are more strings in the ENU version than in the other one. Of course in such a situation you only need to copy the ones which are present in the ITA file and leave the others alone.

There's a problem though. I don't think that Resource Hacker (Reshacker) is a proper tool to do this job. Some of the strings seem to contain language specific letters / characters and Reshacker does not support Unicode which means that some of them may be broken after using a simple copy & paste method.

I'm sure that PE Explorer supports Unicode and I've also heard that Anolis Resourcer is a very good program. I'll try to check those tools more thoroughly when I've got some free time.

@ I'd like to check the problem myself but I know nothing about the game concerned. Is it free and downloadable somewhere? It would be good if I just installed it on my system and checked myself. Does the game work in a stock system (with no unofficial packages installed)?

Edited by tomasz86

@tomasz86

Actually i'm not using the copy&paste method with Res-Hacker :yes: The program can save every single res. in a .TXT file containing the data (string in this case) coded in binary format like this: 2049.txt = 000611D0 49 00 72 00 61 00 71 00 00 I•r•a•q•• . Then i replace the correspondent res. in the ENU version importing the data from the .TXT file. Do you think that Unicode format will be preserved using this raw method ? I agree PeExplorer is one of the best res editor - disassembler :thumbup! i've found two nice tools: XN Resource Editor & Melander Resource Editor both free :rolleyes:. I was using Anolis when it was in Alpha stage and is a pretty nice proggy.

regards

hackeronte

I've prepared a new daily release of UURollup-v11.

All the newest files from BWC kernel are included in it. I've also patched the original explorer.exe 5.0.3900.6920 to add 32-bit tray icon support and added it as explorer.exe 5.0.3900.6933. The reason is that there seem to be some problems when using the WildBill's version (explorer 5.0.3900.6932) with Revolutions Pack (thanks ). There's no new shut down menu in this new explorer.exe and won't be any in the near future unless I or someone else figure out how to rewrite the original file and add new options to it (instead of modifying the existing ones).

I've also added a patched version of sfc.dll which disables Windows File Protection since it doesn't work properly with unofficial files present in the system.

Edit: By the way, the new LibreOffice 4.0 (currently in beta) seems to be compiled in VS2010, thus it won't work in a stock Win2k any more. It does work with UURollup installed.

Edited by tomasz86

M$ released new updates yesterday and one of them (MS12-082) is a fix for DirectPlay. The file concerned is

dpnet.dll 5.3.2600.6311 366KB

This file exists in Win2k too but its size is twice as large:

dpnet.dll 5.3.0.900 707KB

Has anyone got any idea how we could check whether the XP version is compatible or not?

I opened it in Dependency Walker, it doesn't seem to have any issues what so ever as far as dependencies are concerned. I think the best way to find out is by trial and error. I am using the latest daily version of UURollup 11, so that might also be why there's no issues. I doubt it would work on a stock W2k system.

Edited by SearanoX

The file itself doesn't show any dependency problems but I need to know whether it actually works :w00t: I've really got no idea about DirectPlay and its usage so it would be very useful if someone knowledgeable about this particular component shared his opinion on this.

UURollup-v11 is going to be released on 29 December 2012. There will be one more weekly release this week and the next one is going to be final. As I already stated in the past, this is going to be the last version of UURollup (ever) and there won't be any updates for it in the future unless critical bugs are detected.

I'm going to throw this out since I've been collaborating privately with tomasz86 for a long time on this project and I'd like some feedback, possibly to fix a problem that has been plaguing me for a while.

Since daily UURollups are meant to be uninstalled before you install the new copy, doing that for me causes a blue screen upon bootup with the error message LdrLoadLock is missing from ntdll.dll. What is causing this issue? Why does it need LdrLoadLock especially when it worked fine with it before. That must mean something is requiring it and it can't find it anymore. I've been thinking about this for a while now and I haven't even brought it to tomasz's attention yet, but I have installed his latest .NET Framework 1.0 through 4.0 package. Is it possible this update is calling upon LdrLoadLock and it's not there so it crashes with this BSoD message? I personally have no idea what .NET Framework needs in the line of dependencies. But there has to be something that changes from the time I install my system until then. I also use his latest HF_SLIP compilation of Windows 2000 updates.The only other update that I go ahead and install myself after installing Windows 2000, the latest daily UURollup 11....is .NET Framework.

It must be caused by one of the programs which you've got installed. It calls LdrLoadLock, can't find it any more and throws an error. It's definitely not related to the .NET Framework installation itself.

Could you post a screen shot of your Control Panel Add/Remove Programs applet?

Edited by tomasz86

I'm not really sure what it could be. My nVIDIA driver is actually one supported as of right now and doesn't require and additional patches. I'm not so sure about the Realtek driver. I never tried installing it on a stock system. Everything else that starts up with Windows I believe is stuff designed for Windows 2000. The only thing in question now would be the Realtek drivers but I wouldn't think that should cause any issues to prevent it from ever seeing the login screen at the very least.