Unofficial SP 5.2 for Microsoft Windows 2000 (WIP)

tomasz86

Trust me, I tried everything. I tried running both Windows XP and 7 in a VM in order to use IE but as soon as I tried to use some of those ActiveX plug-ins, the whole system would crash. They caused BSODs in the host system, not just inside the VM. They only seem to work on a real hardware.

:(

Which VM app were you running? VPC, VMware?

And what about dualbooting the OSes? Use Win2k for your main stuff, XP for the ActiveX controls.

Thanks for testing. Something seems to be wrong in the latest kernel32.dll I've added recently. In what situation exactly did the BSOD occur?

It happened when I was booting up the VM. Had to reinstall Windows.

It's no problem, though.

Also, here are vids of me using Windows 2000 from a few months ago..

Check the comments. :w00t: Yep. a lot of mixed opinions on me using Windows 2000.

Edited by AnX

My site has been offline for about two days. Apparently they've got some problems with their servers at http://www.zymic.com where the site is hosted. I hope everything will be resolved shortly.

Which VM app were you running? VPC, VMware?

I used both VirtualBox and VMWare Player but it didn't make any difference :(

And what about dualbooting the OSes? Use Win2k for your main stuff, XP for the ActiveX controls.p

That's what I was doing... but was just too time-consuming and troublesome. Especially since I normally tend to use standby / hibernate instead of shutting down the whole system so that I don't need to close all the stuff I've been working on.

Also, here are vids of me using Windows 2000 from a few months ago..

Check the comments. :w00t: Yep. a lot of mixed opinions on me using Windows 2000.

People seem to have quite different opinions about using older Windows on new hardware :whistle:

Edited by tomasz86

That stinks. What about Virtual PC 2007? :) There is a modified .msi available for Windows 2000 on the BetaArchive. That could work. Also try disabling hardware virtualization.

Also, I can no longer enter the archive. Adfly is blocked in my country. :(

Edited by AnX

That stinks. What about Virtual PC 2007? :) There is a modified .msi available for Windows 2000 on the BetaArchive. That could work. Also try disabling hardware virtualization.
I haven't tried it but now it's too late :ph34r: I don't really think it would change anything though. I've never liked MS Virtual PC since it's much slower than the other VM solutions.
Also, I can no longer enter the archive. Adfly is blocked in my country. :(
Should be fixed now :blushing:

By the way, I'm going to redesign the whole website in near future.

Edited by tomasz86

Should be fixed now :blushing:

By the way, I'm going to redesign the whole website in near future.

This might seem hilarious, but adfly was JUST unblocked in my country! Just an hour ago! :w00t:

But still, keep the alt. Link on there in case some other countries have it blocked.

Edited by AnX

• 2 weeks later...

I'm Back... ( Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines )

Hi to... the whole world of founders (especially Tomasz86) & contributors of this project !

I'm glad to know that this project is still alive...

Long Live to Windows 2000!!!

hackeronte

@Hackeronte Nice to see you again!

The project is still alive, so don't worry :) I've been doing as much as I can to progress with the USP. You can expect some more information in the next few weeks.

I've just changed hosting for my website. The old one (http://www.zymic.com) became extremely unstable and, as you've probably noticed, the website was unavailable very often recently. I hope that the new one (http://www.4ove.com) will be better. Of course, the address http://www.windows2000.tk is the same. Just as a side note, Mim0 also uses Zymic for his site and that's why it's offline at the moment.

Edited by tomasz86

Master tomasz86, I have questions.

First, I am really thankful for your work about Windows 2000.

Tis my doubtful point.

After I installed 'Update Rollup 2', I checked Windows update site, there were still security update I have to do(Total 27 files).

What’s strange is that few updates are already in your 'UR2' Package as far as I know.

Here is the overlapped update list.

----------------------------------------------
Security Update for Windows 2000 (KB923191) ?
Security Update for Windows 2000 (KB973869) ?
Security Update for Windows 2000 (KB956844) ?
Security Update for Windows 2000 (KB973904) ?
Cumulative Security Update for ActiveX Killbits for Windows 2000 (KB980195) ? "only cat file in your UR2 log"

Should I have to update these files?

And I can still see 'UR1' in Windows update site.

Second, I can't update windows after setup 'UURollup v11 week update ver.'(Error number: 0x80248008).

Is this normal state?

3rd, How can I use 'UURollup' 7z(daily update) File?

Thanks for your read!

Edited by s15375

First, I am really thankful for your work about Windows 2000.

It's my pleasure :)

After I installed 'Update Rollup 2', I checked Windows update site, there were still security update I have to do(Total 27 files).

Whats strange is that few updates are already in your 'UR2' Package as far as I know.

Here is the overlapped update list.

Security Update for Windows 2000 (KB923191) ?

Security Update for Windows 2000 (KB973869) ?

Security Update for Windows 2000 (KB956844) ?

Security Update for Windows 2000 (KB973904) ?

Cumulative Security Update for ActiveX Killbits for Windows 2000 (KB980195) ? "only cat file in your UR2 log"

Should I have to update these files?

And I can still see 'UR1' in Windows update site.

Second, I can't update windows after setup 'UURollup v11 week update ver.'(Error number: 0x80248008).

Is this normal state?

Simply speaking, there are some bugs in Update Rollup 2. Those updates are included in it, but for various reasons (incomplete registry entries, etc.) Windows Update wants to install them again. Update Rollup 2 is going to be replaced by the USP5 so I'm not going to spend any more time on it.

In one word, you just shouldn't use Windows Update after installing UR2 / UURollup.

3rd, How can I use 'UURollup' 7z(daily update) File?

You need to use 7-Zip to unpack the archive and then run 'update\update.exe' to start the installer. It's recommended to always have a backup copy of the system partition before using daily packages since they're experimental.

Howdy Mr tomasz86,

Finally got back to the Win2k machine since May.

Anyhind, I've been trying for several days now but I just can't reach your main site. Just seems to timeout.

Regardless of machine, OS, or time of day. Is it really back up?

Thinking that maybe this machine was finalized I decided to experiment once again and install the v11 June daily. Just to see.

All went well and noticed no issues, except (and not sure if this is related) but I can no longer sync any data using GoodSync.

Whether the data comes from flash drive, nas, external drive it fails trying to copy lock files or some such (error 87).

It's mentioned in the GoodSync FAQ but I've never had issue one syncing data before.

Also back in May after the v11 March or April UURolllup GoodSync lost some of its interface. No tabs, missing buttons. If it weren't for the

tooltips and memorizing where the analyze/sync buttons are I wouldn't be able to do anything.

When I revert back a step or two today I'll be able to confirm if it was the Rollups or something else that caused this.

But this was all just for fun and curiosity. I heed your comments above and will await USP5 (and in the meantime revert my system

back to when everything worked (with the exception of the old SQL junk).

Regarding your change of focus to Windows XP I think that makes sense. WinXP, for me, is like the sweet spot as far as Win OSes

is concerned. Keeping that alive as long as possible after it goes EOL would be great.

I'm kind of backwards as I actually moved from Linux (my primary after Win 3.x ) to XP (in 2005 - I'm a late adopter). As more open source

tools and apps, POSIX/Unix environments, development tools, etc. were made available on the OS I wound up spending more time

there than on my beloved Slackware. 'Course now I have a PC farm of sorts running all kinds of stuff , including Win7, so they all get their fair amount of attention. :-)

Okay, just "jaw jacking" right now. Will still try to reach your site if I can.

Marc

Ach, regarding the GoodSync thing, the interface was jacked up because of uxtheme.dll. When that was gone it looked good again.

And the whole not being able to sync is definitely unrelated to UURollup. Searching the web the almost exact error messages are seen

with other programs like SyncBack and Wuala.

But all the talk seems to point to filesystem stuff, i.e. you're using FAT but should be using NTFS, etc. My win2k partitions are definitely

not FAT (well, I'm 99.9% sure).

I wonder if restoring from images cause something strange to be reported. And I still don't know which way the error applies to - writing

to my drive or writing to a destination (USB, NAS).

But a quick test syncing to my NAS via FTP works. I just can't sync to via smb and flash. Guess I'll have to open a ticket with the

GoodSync people or figure out something ('course I won't tell 'em I'm running Win2k) :-)

BTW, in case anyone has any pointers the full error message is:

Error locking folder: uploading lock file: The parameter is incorrect. (error 87)

Edited by marcdw

I can't really say much about all of those applications since I haven't used them :( but it'd be probably better to wait for test versions of USP5.1 before doing more serious troubleshooting. At the moment there are too many packages involved to be able to easily find out what exactly is wrong.

My website is definitely online:

http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/windows2000.tk

You're the second person to say this though :} I think there might be some problem with access from certain areas. Could you try using other browsers, and also check through proxy, ex. Hide My Ass?