Unofficial SP 5.2 for Microsoft Windows 2000 (WIP)

tomasz86

Thomasz. If you're still around, please help me get Chrome working on a Windows 2000 computer. I have followed videos about installing the UURollup and running the Chrome/dragon/tool thing and installing wrappers. Installing Firefox first and it keeps failing on me. I can't seem to find the files I need I think is the problem. Can you help?

tomasz86 has been very busy and therefor doesn't frequent much here at the time, so I will try to help. So try explaining to me, what do you do to get Chrome working? What I do that seems to work is download the offline version, not the online version. This will download the full version of Chrome: https://www.google.com/chrome/browser/index.html?standalone=1

Before launching it, fire up your Chrome tool, go down the list by setting the registry compatible and then keeping the tool open, launch the installer. It's silent so you won't notice anything really happening. After it installs, it should give you the option to detect the XP error message, just hit auto and then clean up the registry. It's pretty self explanitory but if you run into any errors, respond back and I'll try to help further if I can.

Edited by Tommy

Just a quick note here, I have three old programs, which will not run on Windows XP or newer (a EEPROM/KAM flashing program, a CAD program, and a language tool), and I MUST have all three! Thank God, the USP5.2 and UURollups came to the resuce! Running in a virtual machine, it all works perfect! Keep up the work guys - it's worth it!

Thomasz. If you're still around, please help me get Chrome working on a Windows 2000 computer. I have followed videos about installing the UURollup and running the Chrome/dragon/tool thing and installing wrappers. Installing Firefox first and it keeps failing on me. I can't seem to find the files I need I think is the problem. Can you help?

I'm sorry for replying late :( I've read both your posting here and the private message.

As far as I understand, you've got several running computers with Windows 2000 installed and want to use a modern web browser such as Chrome or Firefox on them. In order to make the whole process as simple as possible, I'd suggest the following:

1. Make a full system backup.

2. Make sure that Windows is fully updated (install everything from Windows Update).

3. Install the latest daily version of UURollup-v11 from my download Archive (it's in Windows/Windows2000/Unofficial/UnofficialUpdatesRollup/Daily)

4. Download the portable versions of Firefox and Chrome from PortableApps. Chrome is not fully functional (read: buggy) in Windows 2000 so I'd recommend going with Firefox. Alternatively you could use a portable version of PaleMoon which is a Firefox fork. One of the advantages of these portable versions is that their installers work in Windows 2000 out of the box without using any special tricks.

5. Let me know if the browsers work.

ironman14 said

Is UURollup still being updated? Just curious.

Me too...

:}  erm..i´m feeling rather lonely here, with my W2k OS in a world of Win7...8... but as Tommy said:

Windows 2000 will always be my choice OS. It's secure and FAST as heck.

2k cheer to ev'rybody....

hackeronte de' bugger

P.S.

Congrats for your new job Tomasz

You don't have to be sorry for anything, Tomas! I'm thrilled that you even replied! :-) Your instructions are great! I will follow them and reply back to you and let you know how it goes either way. Whether it be bad or good! :-) So the whole thing of trying to get the full versions installed is no longer necessary because of the portable versions? That's even better news. I'll give it a try. Anyway, I'm eternally grateful to you for replying. Thank you again. 

Ok. Having a problem extracting the UURollup. It looks like it's working then tells me "Unsupported compression method: "Windows2000UURollup" and gives the file name it had a problem with. Which is a bunch of them. I'm using 7zip. 

ironman14 said

Is UURollup still being updated? Just curious.

Me too...

It will be updated although I can't say when (but hope it'll be in the near future). I'm not planning to release any new "official" version though. Any possible updates will be released only through the daily channel.

Ok. Having a problem extracting the UURollup. It looks like it's working then tells me "Unsupported compression method: "Windows2000UURollup" and gives the file name it had a problem with. Which is a bunch of them. I'm using 7zip.

Have you tried to use the newest 7-Zip 9.32 alpha?

• 2 weeks later...

I am really hot to get the latest and thensome.

The only way i can support (some) is with a few nickels (AKA financially).

If this is acceptable, please indicate so, and what a reasonable amount might be.

. It might be a while before i get back here to see responses,so please write/copy directly to me: robertbaer(at)localnet(dot)com.

Thanks.

nLite barfed with the rollup:

"Windows2000-UURollup-v10d-x86-ENU - Hotfix integration failed. Verify that the architecture, language, and service pack level  of this service pack update are valid for the target distributon folder. Please report if this is unexpected."

So, now what?

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings and many thanks for the fine work here.

Can anyone provide help on troubleshooting onboard sound issues with UUR v11?

I have 3 Windows multiboot systems on my network, a P4 laptop, a Core 2 Duo laptop, and a Core 2 Duo desktop. Each run XP, the latest Win2k UUR v11d, and other OS versions. The older P4 has sound but I can not get sound to work on either of the onboard sound cards in Core 2 Duo machines, however, both work fine in XP.

The P4 doesn't use a High Definition Audio chipset or UAA and the sound works fine.

The Core 2 Duo laptop uses SigmaTel High Definition Audio and was incrementally updated from UUR V10 to V11d.

The Core 2 Duo desktop uses SoundMAX High Definition Audio and I recently used Tomasz86's HFSLIP program to install UUR V11 and then update to V11d.

I've tried all the usual fixes but nothing seems to work. Both the SigmaTel and SoundMAX drivers support W2k & XP and both install without any noticable errors but on reboot sound will not function.....no yellow bombs, setupapi.log errors, or other useful clues. The usual speaker icons are missing in both startup trays. After logon a popup window appears with the message "The SoundMAX audio driver did not load. You may need to reinstall SoundMAX". Later the SoundMAX tray icon is visable with a red cross and the message "No SoundMAX audio present".

My only guess is that the UAA driver or a dll is not compatible but all the version numbers and file sizes seem to match up.

Everything else is working beautifully but this is drivin me nuts.

Windows 2000 has always been my favorite OS so any suggestions would be helpful.

GCan anyone provide help on troubleshooting onboard sound issues with UUR v11?

Have you had the chance to review posts 650-656 on this thread?  That starts on page 26 of this topic.  Hopefully there's some useful information there, sorry I can't be of more help.

Edited by bluebolt