Unofficial SP 5.2 for Microsoft Windows 2000 (WIP)

tomasz86

Yes, Tom i'm agree with you and...

i've try to install FF P(ortable) v 49 and ERROR on w2k

Then i've installed FF P v. 48.0.2.6079 and it runs fine

XPCOM from wikipedia (interesting...)

cheers

Edited by Hackeronte
corrections

I have just very briefly checked the Firefox Nightly files with Dependency Walker and a few dependencies seem to be missing. That could be the reason why it does not start. Later I may try to compare them with those from a working release of Firefox to see what the differences are.

Edited by tomasz86

further investigations by a sick W2K-guy :cool::D

i've examined firefox.exe v 51.0.0.6082 with dependency walker and found a missing dll named concrt140.dll related with Visual 2015...

copied the dll in FF P 51.0.0.6082 folder and run it again now it says more then before

Error:

The procedure entry point CoGetInterceptor could not be located in the dynamic link library ole32.dll

i don't know if this can be of any help...

thanks, regards

P.D.

i didnt notice your post Tom, anyway

FYI, there's also been talk of this Firefox issue in the KernelEx thread and there's even a temporary "solution" of sorts, even if it is quite ugly. Should work for now, until someone actually gets to coding something.

Edited by mixit
grammar

Thanks a lot for your valuable information, mixit very kind of you to share it...

i,ve read it & executed now let me try the results....

(rebooting from 7 to w2k-usp-ext-krn to try) ...

thanks again

hkrnt

On 2016/8/31 at 8:33 AM, Hackeronte said:

Unfortunately, The Solution it didn't work...

it's still crashing... :(

Please don't call it The Solution unless you put it in quotes. :lol: It's a total kludge, even if it's worked for 2 people so far.

Anyway, I'm sorry it doesn't work for you. I'm curious about how it fails now, because it certainly couldn't be giving the same error message about that missing import, so is it an access violation again? I'm asking because unlike you I  (and, presumably, @DanR20) didn't have any issues with some other DLL missing, so there may be something significantly different about your setup. I mean I doubt USP5.2 as such would cause this difference, given the nature of the "fix". If you set those accessibility prefs, and all DLL dependencies also work out now, and you're using v2.6 kernel, I guess we've hit a snafu with the kludge.

Edited by mixit

Hi, mixit thank for your attention and interest....

Please don't call it The Solution unless you put it in quotes.

Don't Worry mixit i didn't mean to be... ' rude' :D calling it ' solution '  i was just copying/pasting the original name without even think about the exact meaning of the word and the consequencies there of...:lol:

Anyway, I'm sorry it doesn't work for you

very kind of you...and please don't feel sorry

i usually like to feel free to try unpredictable SOLUTIONS :)

it certainly couldn't be giving the same error message...so is it an access violation again?

The instruction at "0x00004000" referenced memory at "0x00004000". The memory could not be "read".

xul.dll & prefs.js modded

there may be something significantly different about your setup

FF PORTABLE: FirefoxPortableNightly_51.0_Alpha_1_Pre_English_online.paf.exe --> firefox-51.0a1.en-US.win32.installer.exe

I guess we've hit a snafu with the kludge.

At least we've tried to do something ( kludgy ) about it :)

Thanks & Cheers

P.D.

Behind every successful action there's a lot of unsaccessful trial & error

1 hour ago, Hackeronte said:

Don't Worry mixit i didn't mean to be... ' rude' :D

[...]

FF PORTABLE: FirefoxPortableNightly_51.0_Alpha_1_Pre_English_online.paf.exe --> firefox-51.0a1.en-US.win32.installer.exe

No problem :), I didn't think it was rude, it was just weird to see it written with caps as if it was supposed to be something grand when it's definitely not.

I used the regular installer, not portable, but I don't know why that should make a difference here...

I guess then it's back to waiting for someone to actually code something. That was really the one nice thing about the kludge: no coding required.

On 2016년 8월 31일 수요일 at 4:06 AM, mixit said:

FYI, there's also been talk of this Firefox issue in the KernelEx thread and there's even a temporary "solution" of sorts, even if it is quite ugly. Should work for now, until someone actually gets to coding something.

It is good to know that although I hope BlackWingCat will ultimately come out with a permanent solution to this problem :).

I personally have not been able to follow the KernelEx thread and in order to catch up would probably have to re-read at least the last few pages. I do not have much time to spend on the Windows 2000 related stuff so I want first to finish adding all the new XP/2003 updates to the Updates Lists, and improve the website itself. After that I hope to update UURollup too with the newer files from BlackWingCat.

On 2016년 8월 31일 수요일 at 1:11 AM, Hackeronte said:

i've examined firefox.exe v 51.0.0.6082 with dependency walker and found a missing dll named concrt140.dll related with Visual 2015...

copied the dll in FF P 51.0.0.6082 folder and run it again now it says more then before

Error:

The procedure entry point CoGetInterceptor could not be located in the dynamic link library ole32.dll

i don't know if this can be of any help...

I am not sure whether concrt140.dll is required. Does it show up in red in Dependency Walker? I cannot check right now but I think it was yellow, and the executable should work without it anyway. The missing dependencies in ole32.dll are definitely a problem though.

@tomasz86

I have browsed a long your site . It is very fast even on my super slow connection.

any way those who wish to fix firefox .

Function shown up red in dependency walker is quite harder to add

14 hours ago, tomasz86 said:

concrt140.dll... the executable should work without it anyway

Yeah...:wacko:

The missing dependencies in ole32.dll are definitely a problem though.

Yeah...:(

I hope BlackWingCat will ultimately come out with a permanent solution to this problem

me too...:)

Actually i'm using FF v 48.0.2 rarely & FF 40 mainly (more addons)...

So FF 51 isn't a priority at all...:)

Just curious to see how far could go W2K in this XXI century :P (the time of tablets & smartphones) :(

Cheers

Edited by Hackeronte
corrections

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe This   UDF Reader 2.5 can be of any help???

UDF Reader is a driver which let you explore Blu-ray, BD-R, BD-RE and HD-DVD UDF v2.5 discs in Windows XP's file explorer. Right click on thdudf.inf and choose Install. Once this is complete, you should reboot your machine for a full installation of the new UDF 2.5 File system recognition.

Cheers...

On 9/19/2016 at 9:54 PM, Anixx said:

Did anyone make efforts to port the UDF driver from newer Windows versions?

I do not really know anything about the driver and probably will not have time to do any tests :(

I have been kind of busy recently so at the moment I am trying to speed up my website a little bit and then add the remaining XP POSReady updates.