Unofficial SP 5.2 for Microsoft Windows 2000 (WIP)

tomasz86

Tomasz has his own HF_SLIP hosted on his Google Drive (You just have to look for it). I've used it and I've never had an issue with it, so I'd poke around Tomasz's Google Drive a bit and see what you can find. I wish I could help you with your actual problem because I had it a few times in the past myself but it's been so long, I can't remember exactly what caused it but usually it was just before the login screen that it would happen.

Here, I'll help you out. This is Tomasz's HF_SLIP compilation: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0Bw_nt4aAJIoPNXh5MkFhRGZMREE&tid=0Bw_nt4aAJIoPaWJsUXQ4NGdWdjQ#list

This is different than BlackWingCat's because I never got his to work either to be truthful, but I've used Tomasz's for almost two years and never had a problem. So give it a try! I think it has UURollup v10 already installed but you can go ahead and upgrade to 11 after installation. :)

Thanks. I already have this archive from Tomasz sitting on my HD. Looks like it's time to try. By the way, BlackWingCat's HFSlip works fine on virtual machines either under W2k or under WXP. I came across the problem only when I tried to install it on a physical machine.

@Tommy Thanks! I'm not planning any kind of "closed" beta but I'll definitely contact you concerning any required testing related to the USP. I'll post more details later (probably in the beginning of February).

@Alll Have you checked the Bug Tracker? Is your problem similar to one described in Bug 2? Could you tell me what exactly is installed in your VM? If possible please attach a screen shot of your Add/Remove Control Panel applet.

Edited by tomasz86

The download Archive may be unavailable for 1-2 days.

My old HDD has died and I'm now forced to use my backup USB disk instead (until I manage to buy a new one). Changing location of the Google Drive folder is such a mess compared to Dropbox. It's unable to detect that the files have been moved and tries to download everything again. After trying several different methods I just gave up, removed everything from it, and now I'm going to reupload the files.

Edit

My website is also down because the link has changed and the hosting redirection service is inaccessible at the moment so I can't update it. You can view my website under this direct URL:

https://googledrive.com/host/0Bw_nt4aAJIoPZGNFNnFxVUlnems

Edited by tomasz86

Tomasz, the problem I came across was exactly the same as described Bug 2. I was installing on the physical machine, not VM, it was clean install, so here is the list of installed compoments:
Windows 2K 5.00.2195 SP4 - worked fine
Windows2000-KB891861-v2-x86-ENU.EXE - worked fine
WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86.exe - worked fine
Windows2000-UpdateRollup2-x86-ENU.exe - worked fine
Windows2000-UURollup-v10d-x86-ENU.exe - worked fine
Windows2000-UURollup-v11-d20131218-x86-ENU - Bug 2 occured!
Nothing else was installed, even device drivers.
The only external device attached to the machine was USB DSL Modem.
System partition was FAT32 formatted. Not sure if it does matter.

Everything should be up and running again :)

@Alll You shouldn't install UURollup-v10d if you're going to use UURollup-v11. Theoretically UURollup-v11 should replace all of the older files from UURollup-v10 but I can't guarantee that at this point. Also IE6 is missing from your setup. blackwingcat doesn't support IE5 based installations at all in his kernel. In the UURollup installer I tweaked the settings so that it's possible to use UURollup-v11 even with IE5 (the installer basically omits two files - shlwapi.dll and urlmon.dll if IE5 is detected). It used to work in the past but I've got no idea whether it's still the case. I haven't tested UURollup-v11 with IE5 for a very long time.

If possible you may try to install IE6 SP1 after SP4 or just use the Gurgelmeyer's USP5.1 as both SP4 and IE6 are included in it.

@Tommy Thanks! I'm not planning any kind of "closed" beta but I'll definitely contact you concerning any required testing related to the USP. I'll post more details later (probably in the beginning of February).

I'll be more than happy to test your product, Tomasz. I for one appreciate all the hard work you put into these update packs just so us diehard Windows 2000 fans can continue to use it.

Only thing I've ever had a problem with is access network shares from other computers. When I go ahead and access system default shares such as c$ for the C drive or sometimes even shares I create myself, I go to copy files from the Windows 2000 machine over to another machine on my network and more chances than not, it will crash the Windows 2000 machine with a bluescreen. I'll look deeper into what the actual screen says but it happens quite often if I try doing this. It doesn't seem to happen if I copy files from a non Windows 2000 machine to the Windows 2000 machine.

Also, I don't know if it's still an issue or not but your site started getting blocked by my router's Norton parental control crap or whatever it is. I had to completely turn it off otherwise I'd get a page saying your site was blocked but it never gave an actual reasoning for it. Whether that part is within your control or not, I don't know but I disabled Norton for now as I don't have kids to worry about. But I thought I'd let you know that it does have issues. It's a newer Belkin router that I'm using and I don't think it was original equipped with Norton until I did a firmware update.

Edited by Tommy

Also, I don't know if it's still an issue or not but your site started getting blocked by my router's Norton parental control crap or whatever it is. I had to completely turn it off otherwise I'd get a page saying your site was blocked but it never gave an actual reasoning for it. Whether that part is within your control or not, I don't know but I disabled Norton for now as I don't have kids to worry about. But I thought I'd let you know that it does have issues. It's a newer Belkin router that I'm using and I don't think it was original equipped with Norton until I did a firmware update.

I can't see how this is anything that is within Tomasz86's control, but rather some setting of Norton's, either a setting you can change in the router, or something in Norton's downloaded database that you need to report to them as a false positive.

Cheers and Regards

Holy (expletive here)!!!!

Norton "Parental Control" (aka "Connect Safe"?) is now "installed" in Belkin Routers?

AC1200DB, AC1800DB, N300, (more maybe...)

The latest Overkill for folks that don't know how to set up the In-PC Network. Not a "false positive", so pointless to "report" it. Ye olde Norton Internet Security has that in it too. You -may- be able to use that -if- you have kids and correctly set it up (PG13/pr0n "blocker"), otherwise -turn it off-. It has nothing to do with the project at hand.

HTH

I can't see how this is anything that is within Tomasz86's control, but rather some setting of Norton's, either a setting you can change in the router, or something in Norton's downloaded database that you need to report to them as a false positive.

Cheers and Regards

There seems to be very little control on what you can change with it but it blocks certain sites by category (such as alcohol, tobacco, gambling, etc). I since have turned it off completely and don't have a problem however if anyone updates their routers and has this problem, they'll know how to get around this problem.

@submix8c: I think that's what it is, ConnectSafe. My router does happen to be an N300 but I never had this problem before the firmware update. At least if other folks have the same issue they know how to access Tomasz's website.

Well first I want to thank ALL of the guys who have made it possible to run Windows 2000 in a modern world. You are all doing a great job, keep it up.

I am running the USP 5.1 on a Windows 2000 SP4 system. No problems with that. Installed update rollout 2. Worked great.

Installed UUR v10, worked great, until I installed v11 over it. No go.

I booted into safe mode, uninstalled v11 first, rebooted into normal mode, uninstalled v10, then rebooted into normal mode and installed v11 (I downloaded the daily for Jan. 4 2014). Installed and rebooted. No problems yet. I like the new bootsplash!

So now I'm trying to install some XP only apps, so far no complaints from them, I'll post back later with how it all works out.

Edit: I am running antivirus this whole time. I am using ClamWin, which uses the Clam AntiVirus Database. Same DB that Immunet Plus uses (which I have used in the past, but not on Windows 2000). Everything installed properly with it running. Just a quick note: Installing AntiVirus using Application Compatibility does NOT work.

You should be pretty impressed with what you can run. I am/have used latest Firefox, Thunderbird,Flash 12, Office 2007, LibreOffice 4.1.4.x, Foxit Reader, foobar2000, VLC, Chrome (requires BWC's installer, link below) and Winamp (installer doesn't work, even with ACL. Just extract the installer, open the folder and launch Winamp.exe. I made a desktop shortcut for quick access.)

Chrome: http://blog.livedoor.jp/blackwingcat/archives/360097.html

Just extract the files, and run the Chrome2000 exe. Click on Set comp.registry and Set User Agent. Click on the chrome installer, which will work and you are good to go.

NOTE: NEVER install KB915985v2. It will make your system unbootable. I learned this from personal experience.

PS: Some/Most WinXP+ programs will work. Even most newish of MS's programs can be modified to run.Most Adobe and Apple stuff won't work.

Edited by ironman14

It is amaZing.

I tried LibreOffice 4.2 but it said requires windows xp, tried the application compatibility launcher, same thing.

I extracted the msi and have so far had the program working. I'm going to package it up with a new installer that works on 2000.

I'm downloading vlc tonight. Currently running softmaker free office and seamonkey as well.

All works good so far!

Sent from my HTC Hero S using Tapatalk 2

@Tommy I've got really no idea about the network sharing problems :( I've only used shared folders in Virtualbox, and there everything worked properly. As for Norton, it's been known for blocking way too many for no apparent reason.

@aofarrell2 I'd be very careful with installing Antivirus software in compatibility mode. It may break the whole system in the worst case. As for the other software, I myself prefer to use portable versions as there are no issues with installation when using them, regardless of the OS. Especially in case of Windows 2000 it's much easier to install and use the unsupported programs.

Also when it comes to Chromium based browsers, all of them are broken in Windows 2000. It's been already said many times - the browser crashes when a javascript window pops up. If you want to use a "modern" browser then Firefox or one of the less popular ones such as Maxthon are the way to go.

@Tommy I've got really no idea about the network sharing problems :( I've only used shared folders in Virtualbox, and there everything worked properly. As for Norton, it's been known for blocking way too many for no apparent reason.

@aofarrell2 I'd be very careful with installing Antivirus software in compatibility mode. It may break the whole system in the worst case. As for the other software, I myself prefer to use portable versions as there are no issues with installation when using them, regardless of the OS. Especially in case of Windows 2000 it's much easier to install and use the unsupported programs.

Also when it comes to Chromium based browsers, all of them are broken in Windows 2000. It's been already said many times - the browser crashes when a javascript window pops up. If you want to use a "modern" browser then Firefox or one of the less popular ones such as Maxthon are the way to go.

That's exactly what I said lol. In my test the AV actually worked fine but I don't run it with compatibility mode for security reasons...

What portable software app are you using? All the ones I could find are for usb and require xp...

I'm using seamonkey which is essentially firefox... I'm gonna give chrome a try though and see how it works...

Sent from my HTC Hero S using Tapatalk 2