Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Unofficial SP 5.2 for Microsoft Windows 2000

• Please log in to reply
741 replies to this topic

acus

acus

• 45 posts
  • Joined 30-January 10
Hi Tomasz,

I cant find UURollup v10d d121114

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10
It should be available now :blushing:

By the way, I've managed to change the Shut Down button a little bit:

Posted Image

I just used ResHacker to modify explorer.exe and change the code like this:

POPUP "Sh&ut Down...", 506, MFT_STRING, MFS_ENABLED, 0
{
	MENUITEM "&Log off", 402, MFT_STRING, MFS_ENABLED
}
Now the problem is that I've got no idea what numbers could work for other options (shut down, restart, standby, hibernate). I can't find any valuable information in the Internet about it. If anyone has got any idea on this topic please share your knowledge.

The original shut down menu still works - it appears after double clicking on "Shut down...".
Posted Image
Unofficial Service Pack 5.2 for MS Windows 2000 <- use this topic if you need help with UURollup, Update Rollup 2 and other unofficial packages

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,520 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10
I've managed to convert help into a Shut Down shortcut (icon unchanged yet):

Posted Image

I'd just like to explain briefly what this Start Menu modification is about. Generally speaking, I'm not interested in adding any system UI modifications to UURollup / USP5.2. Everyone has their own preferences so I don't want to force anyone to use the system UI which I'm fond of as what I like may not appeal to you. Is it right? :P

This shut down menu will be the only change of the UI done be me. I've always found the original Shut Down menu very inefficient (3 or even 4 clicks if you want to change the default option) while such a drop down menu requires only 1 click. Of course there will be an option to revert to the unchanged original menu if you don't like it.

Edited by tomasz86, 15 November 2012 - 08:47 AM.

Posted Image
Unofficial Service Pack 5.2 for MS Windows 2000 <- use this topic if you need help with UURollup, Update Rollup 2 and other unofficial packages

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,520 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10
A new daily release of UURollup-v11 is ready. BlackWingCat updated his kernel so I've added the new files to UURollup. I've also added "shutdown.exe" and "powercfg.exe" from Windows 2003 Server.

Edit: I forgot to mention that the new update for XP (KB2727528) is also included in the newest daily.

I've also just uploaded a new updated version of the .NET Framework merged installer. It's based on the newest releases of the OnePiece's addons which means that all new security fixes are included in it. The installer has also been slightly changed (sc.exe isn't utilised to create services any more because everything is done through the INF installer itself).

Edited by tomasz86, 16 November 2012 - 07:53 AM.

Posted Image

Tommy

Tommy

Brooke's Tommy honey <3

• PipPipPip
  • 476 posts
  • Joined 19-February 10

I've managed to convert help into a Shut Down shortcut (icon unchanged yet):

Posted Image

I'd just like to explain briefly what this Start Menu modification is about. Generally speaking, I'm not interested in adding any system UI modifications to UURollup / USP5.2. Everyone has their own preferences so I don't want to force anyone to use the system UI which I'm fond of as what I like may not appeal to you. Is it right? :P

This shut down menu will be the only change of the UI done be me. I've always found the original Shut Down menu very inefficient (3 or even 4 clicks if you want to change the default option) while such a drop down menu requires only 1 click. Of course there will be an option to revert to the unchanged original menu if you don't like it.

This is very interesting actually and it almost leaves room for a later date to possibly turn the Windows 2000 GUI into something similar to Windows Vista or Windows 7 (since both of them follow that rule). It would be very cool to have the either or function so you could swap whenever you felt like it. Whether or not it could be changed via a menu, I don't know, but at least it's a possible idea in the future.

(testing later nVIDIA driver now and will report any findings)
Daily running Windows 2000 Pro SP4 and Windows 98

Posted Image
Posted Image

acus

acus

• 45 posts
  • Joined 30-January 10
Hi Tomasz,

maybe you have forgotten to add synceng.dll to UURollup 11 ...

New scsiport.sys 5.0.2195.7072, where it is from?

Thanks

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,520 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10
@searanox

Well, modifying this Start Menu with my extremely limited skills is a pain. Changing the position of the buttons and renaming them is very easy. That's why I could just move the "Log off" button to a new submenu and have its functionality retained simply because the "Log off" button is present in the original Start Menu (you can choose whether to show it or not depending on a registry settings).

The case with "Help" is different. It's possible to change its function because there's something like this in the String Table of explorer.exe:

732, 	"hh.exe>%systemroot%\\help\\windows.chm"
so I just changed it to:

732, 	"shutdown.exe>/t 0"
The icon needs to be changed in shell32.dll.

The problem with all the other buttons is that each of them just runs a particular function, ex:

MENUITEM "&Run...", 401, MFT_STRING, MFS_ENABLED
MENUITEM "S&ynchronize", 553, MFT_STRING, MFS_ENABLED
MENUITEM "&Log off", 402, MFT_STRING, MFS_ENABLED
Everything would be extremely easy if I only knew what the numbers are for restart, standby, hibernate, etc. I've googled it but couldn't really find any useful information. I did manage to find some interesting websites:

http://www.aqua-soft.org/forum/topic/17384-help-start-menu-mod/
http://www.virtualplastic.net/msgboard/thread.php?forum=1&thread=355
http://codescript.vdsworld.com/Webpages/Tray_messages.htm
https://github.com/dblock/resourcelib/blob/master/Docs/Menu.md
http://virtualplastic.net/html/icn_strt.html
http://computertruths.blogspot.kr/2007/06/interesting-hacks-using-resource-hacker.html
http://unlockforus.blogspot.kr/2012/09/right-click-menu-for-shutdown-log-off.html
http://www.autohotkey.com/docs/misc/CLSID-List.htm
http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/add-enhanced-shutdown-button-to-the-windows-xp-start-menu/
http://www.askvg.com/list-of-a-few-locations-in-windows-xp-system-files-to-be-hacked-using-resource-hacker/
http://forum.pcekspert.com/showpost.php?p=405962&postcount=448

and

http://thelegendofrandom.com/blog/archives/759

The last one is probably the best but I just haven't got skills to do the programming.

I'm looking forward to hear your opinion on the nVIDIA drivers :)

@acus

Absolutely right :blushing: I've just uploaded a new daily version with synceng.dll included.

Scsiport.sys 5.0.2195.7072 comes from BlackWingCat and fixes this issue.
Posted Image

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,520 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10
There are three releases of UURollup today!

• A new weekly release of UURollup-v10d. It's almost exactly the same as the last daily. The only change is EULA which now is exactly the same as the one used in test versions of UURollup-v11:

Spoiler

• A new weekly release of UURollup-v11. It's based on the last daily release but it's not exactly same.

There are a few differences:

• Terminal Services related files aren't present in it.
    • The 3rd party tools (7-Zip commandline tools, ProcessExplorer, etc.) aren't included (PROBLEMCHYLD should like it :w00t:)
  • A new daily release of UURollup-v11. I've prepared something special this time. This is a simple script called "Application Compatibility Launcher". What it does is to launch a file with Windows XP compatibility. It's the same thing what BlackWingCat's KDW does but I've always thought of it as little too much complicated. I wanted to have something very simple.

This is how it works:

Spoiler

That's basically it. I'd be very thankful if you could test the launcher and let me know how it works and what kind of problems you've encountered.

Edited by tomasz86, 18 November 2012 - 01:26 PM.

Posted Image

Tommy

Tommy

Brooke's Tommy honey <3

• PipPipPip
  • 476 posts
  • Joined 19-February 10

I'm looking forward to hear your opinion on the nVIDIA drivers :)

Well, after testing the drivers for several days, I haven't found a single thing wrong with them so far. I've run a couple of 3D programs and I haven't had any issues. I'll keep testing them and report back if there's any issues.

Posted Image
Posted Image

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,520 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10
Good to know that :) I've also been using exactly the same drivers on my computer and have experienced no issues so far. I'll try to prepare a fixed version of those 306.81 drivers in the near future.

I've just uploaded a new daily release of UURollup-v11. One bug has been fixed in this version. I've also added some small cosmetic fixes related to icon display. Icon Cache should also be refreshed automatically after installing UURollup.

The new Start Menu (explorer.exe) is included in it too:

Posted Image

"Sleep" means both "stand by" and "hibernate", i.e. the system will hibernate if hibernation is turned on and will go to stand by if it's turned off. This is a system limitation. I'm unable to add other / new buttons without modifying the code of the Start Menu which I'm not capable of doing. The standard shut down menu will be displayed when you double-click on the "Shut Down..." button.
Posted Image

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,520 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10
Just a quick update:

UURollup-v10d is ready and available to download from the Archive. Actually I've updated the website but it's not working now because it's being checked "for malicious content" :sneaky: I hope it will work again soon.
Posted Image

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,520 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10
The website is still not available... Just in case this is an alternative address:

http://tomasz86.zxq.net

There are a lot of changes this time so make sure you check the changelog. I'll just list the most important ones:

• UURollup-v10d released (bug fixes & Application Compatibility Launcher added).
  • Information about Application Compatibility Launcher and instructions about how to use it added to the main page.
  • Programs section reorganised (updated and URLs tidied up).
  • Updates List for HFSLIP updated. UURollup has been added and the English-only unofficial updates included in UURollup have been removed. Global (multilanguage) updates and updates available in more than one language are still available.
  • Superseded updates are now hidden by default on the Updates List.
  • About / Changelog section updated.

Edited by tomasz86, 26 November 2012 - 01:10 PM.

Posted Image

Tommy

Tommy

Brooke's Tommy honey <3

• PipPipPip
  • 476 posts
  • Joined 19-February 10
Maybe it's still under review because they can't get their hands on a good ol' Windows 2000 computer since they're probably fanboys and girls of Windows 8. XD

More seriously though, you cannot upgrade from UURollup-v10d if you're using the latest weekly release, otherwise you'll get a kernel32.dll error. If you uninstall the weekly update (at least it happened for me), you'll still get a blue screen as it complains about LdrLoaderLock or something like that cannot be found. I found at least an unofficial fix though, at least to get you back into Windows if this happens. Since I had installed UURollup-v10d before uninstalling the weekly version and it didn't work, I uninstalled it via recovery console but it leaves the uninstall information behind. Well, when I went into Windows to uninstall the weekly pack, i'd get a blue screen since it was looking for dependencies that weren't there. So, I got back into the recovery console and 'uninstalled' UURollup-v10d again. However, what happens is it had the original files from the weekly UURollup stored and it restore the files, which basically reinstalled UURollup-v11 weekly. I hope this information and trial and error comes in handy for someone who might brick their system accidentally.

Posted Image
Posted Image

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,520 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10
What do you mean by "upgrade from UURollup-v10d"?

Did you install UURollup-v10d over the latest weekly? This is not going to work... UURollup-v10d can be installed only over UURollup-v10c (or any older release). The current daily and weekly releases of UURollup-v11 use a completely different set of files (UURollup-v10(x) uses WB kernel while UURollup-v11(x) uses BWC kernel) so you can't install the older version over the new ones.

If you're using the weekly or daily versions of UURollup-v11 then UURollup-v10d is NOT for you. It's targeted at people who have been using UURollup-v10c and want to stick with stable versions only.
Posted Image

Tommy

Tommy

Brooke's Tommy honey <3

• PipPipPip
  • 476 posts
  • Joined 19-February 10
Yes, good points, and I did know that the v10d was different from the weekly/daily packages.

But yes, I did install UURollup-v10d over the weekly version, which I actually didn't think was going to work and I ended up with the kernel32.dll blue screen. So I uninstalled and went back to my weekly version, no problems. However, since I wanted to try out the stable v10d, I decided to uninstall my weekly version to go back to a somewhat native environment, but that also resulted in a blue screen which I outlined earlier, saying that it couldn't find LdrLoadLock or something like that in ntdll.dll. Why that happened, I had no idea. So then I was stuck with a system that wouldn't load. But since I had nothing to lose, I went into the recovery console and tried the uninstall of v10d since earlier I had installed it over the weekly version which meant before it installed originally, it saved copies of my weekly version's system files, and initiating uninstall of it once again restored the good system files and I was able to use the system again as it was before anything happened.

So basically, rather than pointing out my stupidity of seeing what happens when you experiment with certain things, I posted that just in case someone else might try doing something like what I had done or similar and how they could get their systems back without having to wipe the drive and start all over again.

Edited by SearanoX, 26 November 2012 - 10:32 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,520 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10
Hmm, it's hard to say what exactly happened and where the LdrLoadLock error came from :}

Basically speaking, this is how the three release channels work:

• Stable channel:
    • only files proved stable included
    • no experimental files or settings
    • replaces all previous stable and weekly (but not daily!) releases
    • possible to install over all previous stable and weekly releases (but only weekly releases of the same version ex. all previous weeklies of UURollup-v11, etc.)
    • slipstreaming supported
  • Daily channel:
    • released very often (not not more often than once per day :P)
    • all newest files and changes included therefore very experimental
    • used mostly for testing purposes
    • does not replace any previous releases therefore it's required to uninstall the previous daily before installing a new one
    • slipstreaming not supported
  • Weekly channel:
    • released not more often than once per week
    • based on daily releases but only stable changes are included
    • replaces all previous weekly releases of the same version
    • possible to install over previous weekly releases of the same version
    • does not not replace previous daily or stable releases
    • slipstreaming supported
I understand that this may be confusing but I find this kind of development very useful and practical for testing because once a stable version is released I'm sure that's it's really stable.

Edited by tomasz86, 27 November 2012 - 01:13 AM.

Posted Image

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,520 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10
I'm going to change my hosting permanently to http://www.zymic.com (zxq.net). Up to know I've been using http://www.000webhost.com but what's going to at the moment is a joke :realmad:

You are seeing this page because the system administrator of 000webhost.com is currently checking this website for malicious content. This redirect page will be removed once we finish manually checking all files on this account. Since we check over 100 websites per day, it can take about 2-4 hours to complete. If you are the owner of this website, you will get an email confirmation once it's done. If you are a visitor, please come back later.

It's been like that for 3 days...

I'm working on redirecting from http://www.windows2000.tk to http://tomasz86.zxq.net. At the moment the website is accessible on the latter address.
Posted Image

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,520 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10
http://windows2000.tk is working again :)
Posted Image

Hackeronte

Hackeronte

Windows 2000 Pro ©® Fashion

• Pip
  • 55 posts
  • Joined 18-July 10
@tomasz86
Hi Tom is good to know that your host is working :yes: !
I've some questions for you about the translation of kernel32.dll...
I was trying to check with Resource Hacker version 3.6.0.92 the String Table of kernel32.dll version 5.0.2195.7187 included in UURollup-v11-d121108-x86-ENU
and the number of strings exceed (differ to) the number of strings contained in kernel32.dll version 5.00.2195.7135 (ITA)
the strings table directories:
1876,1877,1878,1879,1880,1881,1882,1883,1884,1885,1886,1887,1888,1889,1890,1891,1892,1894,1895,1896,1897,1898,2821,3102,3203,3426
doesn't exist in kernel32.dll version 5.00.2195.7135 (ITA) and the strings it seems to contain countries data of some sort
e.g. stirng table dir 1876 contains the following strings :
30002, "17.146$-61.821$AG$ATG$Antigua and Barbuda$Antigua and Barbuda"
30003, "33.833$66.025$AF$AFG$Afghanistan$Islamic State of Afghanistan"
30004, "28.214$2.655$DZ$DZA$Algeria$Democratic and Popular Republic of Algeria"
30005, "40.356$47.869$AZ$AZE$Azerbaijan$Azerbaijani Republic"
30006, "41.111$20.027$AL$ALB$Albania$Republic of Albania"
30007, "40.292$44.937$AM$ARM$Armenia$Republic of Armenia"
30008, "42.551$1.576$AD$AND$Andorra$Principality of Andorra"
30009, "-12.333$17.539$AO$AGO$Angola$Republic of Angola"
30010, "-12.435$-169.965$AS$ASM$American Samoa$American Samoa"
30011, "-35.63$-65.159$AR$ARG$Argentina$Argentine Republic"
30012, "-25.585$134.504$AU$AUS$Australia$Commonwealth of Australia"
30014, "47.589$14.14$AT$AUT$Austria$Republic of Austria"

Do you know if there's an easy way to find all these missing string already translated in ITA ?

regards
hackeronte

Edited by Hackeronte, 30 November 2012 - 02:16 AM.

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,520 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10
@Hackeronte It would be great if you could upload the Italian file to my SkyDrive here. I've been kind of busy recently and doing so should help save some time :)
Posted Image

Hackeronte

Hackeronte

• Pip
  • 55 posts
  • Joined 18-July 10
@tomasz86
Hi Tom i've uploaded the file on skydrive...
in the meantime i've searched for a PE tool capable to replace the whole STRING TABLE or MESSAGE TABLE type of resource
but unfortunately - nothing found - so i'm replacing manually (monkey-job) every string or message ENG to ITA with Resource Hacker :angry:
I'd like to know if kernel32.dll version 5.0.2195.7187 will be the definitive version included in the final release of Unofficial SP; OR if you're planning some other critical change, 'cause in this case i'll wait until the final release will be ready!

Thanks & regards

Hackeronte

Edited by Hackeronte, 02 December 2012 - 11:14 PM.

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,520 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10
This is very bad news. It would be really nice to just be able to copy and paste all of those strings from ITA to ENU :} Replacing them one by one is a pain and very problematic when a new version of the file has been released and you've got to start everything from the beginning...

Please wait for a moment until I check the last version of BWC kernel (I'll try to do it until tomorrow). If there's no difference then yes, kernel32 5.0.2195.7187 will be probably included in the stable version of UURollup-v11. The other one in the NT6 folder may still change so please don't work on it yet ;)
Posted Image

Hackeronte

Hackeronte

• Pip
  • 55 posts
  • Joined 18-July 10
Tom, maybe i've expressed myself imprecisely :
SURE, it IS possible to copy and paste every single string and message with one of these tools:

Resource Hacker (free)
Resource Tuner (shrwr)
Resource Tuner Console (shrwr)
PE explorer (shrwr)
Restorator 2007 (shrwr) etc. etc.

What i was looking for it was a tool capable of replace THE WHOLE String Table or Message Table at once (in a single operation)
i'm still searching with the hope to find some obscure or underground rev. eng. site in the unfathomed deep of the Internet abyss :lol:
hiding such little jewel.
In the meantime i've already replaced (as a personal experiment) almost the 60% :P of the ENU resources of kernerl32 ver. 5.0.2195.7187
copyng and pasting :( every single line contained in the res section of the DLL
But i'm agree with you: i'll wait until your realese will reach a reasonable point of stability in his developement...Or at least until you will tell me:
"O.K. lad this version of exe or dll is the definitive one" :lol:
At the same time i'll check the progress of your project...I've got an eye on you, man :D!

Cheer
HaCkErOnTe
P.S.
Can you confirm that the number of strings table directories is different in the two (ENU, ITA) Kernel32.dll ?

Edited by Hackeronte, 03 December 2012 - 10:24 AM.

Tommy

Tommy

Brooke's Tommy honey <3

• PipPipPip
  • 476 posts
  • Joined 19-February 10
@tomasz86

Hey bud, know anything about this?

Second chance exception 0xC0000005 (Access Violation) occurred in "COMCTL32.DLL" at address 0x72721014

This is when I try running the latest Who Wants to be a Millionaire PC game on my computer (the Ludia version). It used to work as long as I had the DirectX 9 expansion installed but now I get this error everytime I try launching the game. Let me know!

Posted Image
Posted Image

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,520 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10
@Hackeronte I've finally managed to compare the two kernel32.dll files (ITA & ENU) and you're 100% right that there are more strings in the ENU version than in the other one. Of course in such a situation you only need to copy the ones which are present in the ITA file and leave the others alone.

There's a problem though. I don't think that Resource Hacker (Reshacker) is a proper tool to do this job. Some of the strings seem to contain language specific letters / characters and Reshacker does not support Unicode which means that some of them may be broken after using a simple copy & paste method.

I'm sure that PE Explorer supports Unicode and I've also heard that Anolis Resourcer is a very good program. I'll try to check those tools more thoroughly when I've got some free time.

@SearanoX I'd like to check the problem myself but I know nothing about the game concerned. Is it free and downloadable somewhere? It would be good if I just installed it on my system and checked myself. Does the game work in a stock system (with no unofficial packages installed)?

Edited by tomasz86, 08 December 2012 - 08:55 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users