Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Unofficial SP 5.2 for Microsoft Windows 2000

• Please log in to reply
741 replies to this topic

Hackeronte

Hackeronte

Windows 2000 Pro ©® Fashion

• Pip
  • 55 posts
  • Joined 18-July 10
@tomasz86

Actually i'm not using the copy&paste method with Res-Hacker :yes: The program can save every single res. in a .TXT file containing the data (string in this case) coded in binary format like this: 2049.txt = 000611D0 49 00 72 00 61 00 71 00 00 I•r•a•q•• . Then i replace the correspondent res. in the ENU version importing the data from the .TXT file. Do you think that Unicode format will be preserved using this raw method ? I agree PeExplorer is one of the best res editor - disassembler :thumbup! i've found two nice tools: XN Resource Editor & Melander Resource Editor both free :rolleyes:. I was using Anolis when it was in Alpha stage and is a pretty nice proggy.

regards

hackeronte

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10
I've prepared a new daily release of UURollup-v11.

All the newest files from BWC kernel are included in it. I've also patched the original explorer.exe 5.0.3900.6920 to add 32-bit tray icon support and added it as explorer.exe 5.0.3900.6933. The reason is that there seem to be some problems when using the WildBill's version (explorer 5.0.3900.6932) with Revolutions Pack (thanks SearanoX). There's no new shut down menu in this new explorer.exe and won't be any in the near future unless I or someone else figure out how to rewrite the original file and add new options to it (instead of modifying the existing ones).
I've also added a patched version of sfc.dll which disables Windows File Protection since it doesn't work properly with unofficial files present in the system.

Edit: By the way, the new LibreOffice 4.0 (currently in beta) seems to be compiled in VS2010, thus it won't work in a stock Win2k any more. It does work with UURollup installed.

Edited by tomasz86, 10 December 2012 - 09:59 PM.

Posted Image
Unofficial Service Pack 5.2 for MS Windows 2000 <- use this topic if you need help with UURollup, Update Rollup 2 and other unofficial packages

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,520 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10
M$ released new updates yesterday and one of them (MS12-082) is a fix for DirectPlay. The file concerned is

dpnet.dll 5.3.2600.6311 366KB
This file exists in Win2k too but its size is twice as large:

dpnet.dll 5.3.0.900 707KB
Has anyone got any idea how we could check whether the XP version is compatible or not?
Posted Image
Unofficial Service Pack 5.2 for MS Windows 2000 <- use this topic if you need help with UURollup, Update Rollup 2 and other unofficial packages

Tommy

Tommy

Brooke's Tommy honey <3

• PipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • Joined 19-February 10
I opened it in Dependency Walker, it doesn't seem to have any issues what so ever as far as dependencies are concerned. I think the best way to find out is by trial and error. I am using the latest daily version of UURollup 11, so that might also be why there's no issues. I doubt it would work on a stock W2k system.

Edited by SearanoX, 14 December 2012 - 02:27 AM.

Daily running Windows 2000 Pro SP4 and Windows 98

Posted Image
Posted Image

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,520 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10
The file itself doesn't show any dependency problems but I need to know whether it actually works :w00t: I've really got no idea about DirectPlay and its usage so it would be very useful if someone knowledgeable about this particular component shared his opinion on this.

UURollup-v11 is going to be released on 29 December 2012. There will be one more weekly release this week and the next one is going to be final. As I already stated in the past, this is going to be the last version of UURollup (ever) and there won't be any updates for it in the future unless critical bugs are detected.
Posted Image

Tommy

Tommy

Brooke's Tommy honey <3

• PipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • Joined 19-February 10
I'm going to throw this out since I've been collaborating privately with tomasz86 for a long time on this project and I'd like some feedback, possibly to fix a problem that has been plaguing me for a while.

Since daily UURollups are meant to be uninstalled before you install the new copy, doing that for me causes a blue screen upon bootup with the error message LdrLoadLock is missing from ntdll.dll. What is causing this issue? Why does it need LdrLoadLock especially when it worked fine with it before. That must mean something is requiring it and it can't find it anymore. I've been thinking about this for a while now and I haven't even brought it to tomasz's attention yet, but I have installed his latest .NET Framework 1.0 through 4.0 package. Is it possible this update is calling upon LdrLoadLock and it's not there so it crashes with this BSoD message? I personally have no idea what .NET Framework needs in the line of dependencies. But there has to be something that changes from the time I install my system until then. I also use his latest HF_SLIP compilation of Windows 2000 updates.The only other update that I go ahead and install myself after installing Windows 2000, the latest daily UURollup 11....is .NET Framework.

Posted Image
Posted Image

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,520 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10
It must be caused by one of the programs which you've got installed. It calls LdrLoadLock, can't find it any more and throws an error. It's definitely not related to the .NET Framework installation itself.

Could you post a screen shot of your Control Panel Add/Remove Programs applet?

Edited by tomasz86, 19 December 2012 - 09:28 AM.

Posted Image

Tommy

Tommy

Brooke's Tommy honey <3

• PipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • Joined 19-February 10
Yes, sir!

Attached Files

Posted Image
Posted Image

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,520 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10
Quite a lot of stuff over there :lol:

Could you check your autostart in msconfig? It may be a program but it could also be a driver which cannot be loaded without the unofficial ntdll.dll file.
Posted Image

Tommy

Tommy

Brooke's Tommy honey <3

• PipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • Joined 19-February 10
I'm not really sure what it could be. My nVIDIA driver is actually one supported as of right now and doesn't require and additional patches. I'm not so sure about the Realtek driver. I never tried installing it on a stock system. Everything else that starts up with Windows I believe is stuff designed for Windows 2000. The only thing in question now would be the Realtek drivers but I wouldn't think that should cause any issues to prevent it from ever seeing the login screen at the very least.

Posted Image
Posted Image

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,520 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10
I can't really help with the problem as it would require to check all of those items one by one :( What I'm sure about is that UURollup can't cause such a problem itself. It must be another update / driver / program to be the culprit.

Tomorrow I'm going to upload a new weekly version of UURollup-v11 and this will be something like a RC (as UURollup-v11 stable is going to be ready next week). At the moment there's still one known bug, i.e. Silverlight doesn't work with East Asian locales other than Japanese.
Posted Image

jumper

jumper

2014 All-American Masters HJ'er

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  • Joined 21-January 11
@SearanoX: Use Find to search for the text "LdrLoadLock" in files of type *.dll and *.exe in your Windows folder and below. Expand the search as necessary until you find something--It has to be there somewhere! Once you get some hits, use Dependency Walker to confirm.

Edit: Just did a Google search and found out there is no such thing as "LdrLoadLock"--did you mean "LoaderLock", "LdrLockLoaderLock", or perhaps "LdrpLoaderLock" ???

Edited by jumper, 22 December 2012 - 04:31 AM.

Design feedback requested:
IHAtool - IpHlpApi tester; call various functions and report results
--status-> framework is solid; 22 api's fully supported; preview release coming soon
ComDlg32 wrapper - ComDlgEx meets IpHlpApi wrapper
--status-> PrintDlgExW working in latest SumatraPDF 8^)
Future projects: ImportPatcher40 - dialog interface; Kexter - IP40+Ktree+Kexstubs

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,520 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10
I've finished preparing a new weekly release of UURollup-v11 but haven't been able to test slipstreaming yet. I hope to do it tomorrow and if everything is all right then I'll upload the file.

@jumper Thanks for checking the function. I also think that it must be something different than LdrLoadLock (I'm guessing that it's probably LdrLockLoaderLock).
Posted Image

Tommy

Tommy

Brooke's Tommy honey <3

• PipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • Joined 19-February 10

I've finished preparing a new weekly release of UURollup-v11 but haven't been able to test slipstreaming yet. I hope to do it tomorrow and if everything is all right then I'll upload the file.

@jumper Thanks for checking the function. I also think that it must be something different than LdrLoadLock (I'm guessing that it's probably LdrLockLoaderLock).

I think you guys are right. I couldn't remember the name exactly but I knew it had something to do with Ldr and Lock. Seems to me I got the error also when just using blackwingcat's kernel extension about a year ago when that's what I was using. But it didn't result in a blue screen but rather as critical stop messages in Windows.

Posted Image
Posted Image

jumper

jumper

2014 All-American Masters HJ'er

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  • Joined 21-January 11
I think tomasz86 is right:

The LdrLockLoaderLock function is exported by name from NTDLL.DLL in version 5.1 and higher.

Version 5.1 would be Windows XP.

The other two strings seem to be symbols rather than function names.
Design feedback requested:
IHAtool - IpHlpApi tester; call various functions and report results
--status-> framework is solid; 22 api's fully supported; preview release coming soon
ComDlg32 wrapper - ComDlgEx meets IpHlpApi wrapper
--status-> PrintDlgExW working in latest SumatraPDF 8^)
Future projects: ImportPatcher40 - dialog interface; Kexter - IP40+Ktree+Kexstubs

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,520 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10
There seems to be a problem in the newest weekly / daily releases of UURollup-v11. After slipstreaming and installing the system Cryptographic Service doesn't start (it does when UURollup has been installed manually). I don't know what causes the problem and need more time for testing... so I don't think it will be possible to release a stable version of UURollup-v11 this month. I think that it will be better to have more time to test it more thoroughly to eliminate all bugs and make sure that everything works perfectly OK.
Posted Image

Tommy

Tommy

Brooke's Tommy honey <3

• PipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • Joined 19-February 10
I would say wait on releasing a stable version too, especially to iron out a few of the bugs we're investigating now as well.

I still sometimes have random explorer crashes but I can't remember exactly what you told me to run in order to figure out what causes them. They don't happen all the time but at times I click on my external drive and I just get a random critical stop error and it either just closes the current window or it takes the entire explorer.exe down with it.

Posted Image
Posted Image

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,520 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10
I'm going to upload a new daily release of UURollup-v11 later today... but I'd like to ask you for something. Could anyone check whether hibernation works in his system? That is in a system where recent weekly or daily version of UURollup-v11 has been installed.

Edit: By the way, I'm planning to add a simple firewall to USP 5.2. It's still a far-distance plan but I'm going to use Malware Defender 2.7.3.0003 as a basis. It's very light, quite simple but also offers many configuration options for advanced users. It's also the newest available firewall software supporting Win2k. I'm not going to integrate it as it is but rather prepare a minimalistic version which would be easier to use for beginners too (a kind of "one-click" solution). This firewall would be disabled by default and available in the Control Panel. You would also be able to uninstall it using the Control Panel's Add/Remove Windows Components applet.

Edited by tomasz86, 04 January 2013 - 10:06 PM.

Posted Image

Tommy

Tommy

Brooke's Tommy honey <3

• PipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • Joined 19-February 10

I'm going to upload a new daily release of UURollup-v11 later today... but I'd like to ask you for something. Could anyone check whether hibernation works in his system? That is in a system where recent weekly or daily version of UURollup-v11 has been installed.

Does that basically mean me? XD

Edit: By the way, I'm planning to add a simple firewall to USP 5.2. It's still a far-distance plan but I'm going to use Malware Defender 2.7.3.0003 as a basis. It's very light, quite simple but also offers many configuration options for advanced users. It's also the newest available firewall software supporting Win2k. I'm not going to integrate it as it is but rather prepare a minimalistic version which would be easier to use for beginners too (a kind of "one-click" solution). This firewall would be disabled by default and available in the Control Panel. You would also be able to uninstall it using the Control Panel's Add/Remove Windows Components applet.

I absolutely LOVE this idea! It'd be great if you could make it where it's as easy to use as the Windows Firewall. Something very basic and easy to configure.

Posted Image
Posted Image

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,520 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10

Does that basically mean me? XD

Probably yes :P I'm getting an error when trying to enable hibernation in my system and I wonder whether it's just an individual issue or maybe a more serious problem.
Posted Image

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,520 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10
After a two-week break a new daily of UURollup-v11 is ready.

There are no drastic changes in it. I've just updated all kernel files to the newest versions and also partially re-enabled Automatic Updates in order to make Windows Defender update mechanism work (thanks searanox for information).

Edited by tomasz86, 05 January 2013 - 09:31 AM.

Posted Image

Hackeronte

Hackeronte

Windows 2000 Pro ©® Fashion

• Pip
  • 55 posts
  • Joined 18-July 10
@EveryBody

Happy new year to all MSFN users! :D

@tomasz86

Malware Defender 2.7.3.0003... is this the last version working on W2K ?
I've found a little issue about MD 2.7 and chkdsk on xp-sp3 here... i don't know if it's important in the context of w2k but... :)

i've downloaded Windows2000-UURollup-v11-d130105-x86-ENU.7z from DropBox and my AV avast! 4.8 is yelling that
sfc.dll is a trojan. Win32:Banker-BKL [Trj]

i think is a FALSE POSITIVE result

Can you confirme that is a false positive ?

regards

hackeronte

Edited by Hackeronte, 05 January 2013 - 05:39 PM.

Tommy

Tommy

Brooke's Tommy honey <3

• PipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • Joined 19-February 10
@Hackeronte

Happy new year to you too!!

I scanned sfc.dll with AVG, no issues reported.

@tomasz86

Hibernate doesn't work for me either. I never actually used it but when I did enable it and tried it out, the screen goes black and just goes right back to the desktop and starts up again. Apparently it is a major bug.

Posted Image
Posted Image

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,520 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10
Happy New Year! :)

It's a false positive. SFC.DLL has been patched in order to disable Windows File Protection as it was going crazy with unofficial files installed (especially when installing a newer version of UURollup over an older one and then uninstalling it, WFP wanted to replace the official files with the unofficial ones, etc.).

I get this when trying to enable Hibernation:

Posted Image

I guess we'll have to to test it more thoroughly later to find out whether it's indeed UURollup to break it.

Thanks for info about Malware Defender. I'll try to test the issue here.
Posted Image

Tommy

Tommy

Brooke's Tommy honey <3

• PipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • Joined 19-February 10
I didn't get that error message. All it did was it acted like it was going to hibernate but once the screen turned black like it was off, it just came back to the desktop like nothing happened.

Posted Image
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users