Unofficial SP 5.2 for Microsoft Windows 2000 (WIP)

tomasz86

A new daily of UURollup-v11 is ready. As usual, all the newest changes from BWC kernel have been implemented. I've also added CMD.EXE from XP SP3.

Edited by tomasz86

Just WHAT does any of that to do with the topic???

Nothing in particular but just wanted to give everyone on the topic a heads up to try Windows 8 for performance reasons I guess it could be considered advertising Microsofts latest OS as it seems to function well

Edited by desertofunknown

Ahhh! Okay, now I get you... catalogs.

Since you are replacing a lot of binaries in a SP (of your own making) and not installing the CAT files that come with each hotfix, you might as well delete all of the listed CATs except the first two, NT5INF and NT5. That's how I did what I did and it worked. IIRC SP4.CAT can go too. FYI, I know you know this but for other people reading, if you wanted to make an unofficial SP where each file actually passed a signature verification, you would need to copy all of the CAT files in each hotfix and list them ALL under [ProductCatalogsToInstall].

I honestly forget what happens when you install no CATs at all.

My hacked SETUPAPI.DLL turns off all signature checking and I use that in conjunction with the SFC.DLL hack. You can get both in my fileset. Since they are MSFT binaries permission is not mine to give, but if you wanted to use the ones from my fileset, I personally have no problem with that.

Some part of me thinks that even with all of this you might still get a problem with a different WINTRUST. Worth checking into if it eliminates your error.

I think that the wintrust.dll problem can be called "fixed" now. It seems that adding wintrust.dll from XP prevented the system from registering ANY catalogs. BlackWingCat has just re-added the original wintrust.dll to his kernel and the XP version is now placed in a separate folder together with Cryptographic Services (which also come from BWC kernel).

It's still not possible to slipstream the current package but I'm sure that it will be possible shortly.

I've finished working on the new .NET Framework package but I still need to do the whole testing process. I can create it 100% automatically basing on the OnePiece's addons. It's going to be a one big package of all .NET Frameworks (because only this way it's possible to eliminate all duplicate files and therefore reduce its size) but I can create an installer selectively too, ex. only .NET 1.1+2.0 or only 2.0+3.0+3.5 or even only 1.1+4.0, etc. Any combination is possible.

Edited by tomasz86

I have just uploaded a new daily. I've used some tricks to make it slipstreamable :) so you can try doing it (but you need to repack it yourself). If everything goes OK then the upcoming weekly version should be "officially" ready for slipstreaming.

I've also prepared a script for myself. It's capable of:

• Choosing a HFSLIP folder (so it's possible to have several folders prepared for different configurations and systems).
  • Copying the selected folder to a temporary directory (I use RAMdisk for this).
  • Running HFSLIP from the temporary directory.
  • Integrating drivers.
  • Creating ISO.
  • Automatically starting a VirtualBox machine to test the ISO.
  • (Optionally) preparing a HDD based installation.
  • (Optionally) adding additional tweaks.

All of this done in just one click. I originally wanted to just have such a script to save time for myself but if anyone is interested in it then please send me a PM.

And I've also managed to integrate VirtualBox drivers directly into Win2k source (link). It's very useful and convenient if you use VirtualBox for testing (as I do).

Edited by tomasz86

I can assure that the current daily can be slipstreamed and the installation itself works but there's still one problem whose cause is still unknown:

4pMDs.jpg

I've been trying to find it by replacing files and redoing the whole installation process but no success yet.

Edited by tomasz86

A new daily is ready. I've fixed all bugs related to slipstreaming. At the moment kernel32.dll 5.0.2195.7187 is included because it works fine while the newest one seems to have some problems.

Actually, at the moment I'm not sure whether there will ever be a stable version of UURollup-v11. The reason is quite simple. Unless you've checked the update.inf you probably don't know this but there are so many workarounds implemented in the current daily in order to make it work in HFSLIP that I myself can't even look at it any more :w00t: I had to use same nasty tricks to make it slipstreamable and I don't really like it. It does work but it requires so much time to prepare and test that I'm not sure whether there's a point in doing that any longer. All of these problems would not exist if it was a Service Pack. I'm thinking about leaving UURollup-v11 in the current daily / weekly stage (and updating it) and releasing one more version of UURollup-v10 (because I've found a bug in v10c, also related to HFSLIP and slipstreaming).

I've finally managed to compile the .NET Framework merged installed. It was more difficult than I expected it to be (especially .NET Framework 4.0 :sneaky:) but I think that the result is more than satisfying. There are all .NET Frameworks starting from 1.0 up to 4.0 included in just one 83 MB archive (380 MB after installation). I'm not really going to release it separately as it's going to be included in USP 5.2 later but if anyone's interested then you can download it from the Archive (USP52 folder).

As always, I'll be very thankful for testing. This .NET Framework installer requires USP5.1 (or SP4+UR1), UR2 and the newest daily version of UURollup-v11 to be installed in advance. The installation itself may take some time on a slower machine.

Edited by tomasz86

@tomasz86

Actually, at the moment I'm not sure whether there will ever be a stable version of UURollup-v11...

It does work but it requires so much time to prepare and test that I'm not sure whether there's a point in doing that any longer.

I'm a little bit confused :unsure: Tom, I was trying to do the same work that we've done on version 10 ( #56, #62, #80, #87, #104, #105, until #141 ) also on version 11 but...now,

what do you suggest !?

I know you're pretty busy fixing and arranging the whole stuff, but i really appreciate some advise on how to proceed further on ITA version of UURup :rolleyes:.

Thanks and regards :yes:

hackeronte

Edited by Hackeronte

@Hackeronte

You're right :blushing:

This is the FINAL statement:

There will be a stable version of UURollup-v11... BUT it will be the last stable version of UURollup. It should be available at least in English and Italian. The planned release date is 24th November.

What stage are you at now? I think I've found a way to easily share your UURollup folder so that I can check it and see what has to be done. Under this link there's a shared SkyDrive folder where anyone can upload files as long as they're logged in. If you've already got a Microsoft Account then you can just log in and upload your UURollup folder, if not then you should create a new account (I hope that it's not a problem for you) and then log in and upload the folder. It's good because this way you can upload files directly to my SkyDrive account.

By the way, at the moment I've been testing a fully updated Win2k installation on my real hardware together with the newest drivers and I've found a bug in one of the updates (don't know yet which one). Basically speaking, when I integrate just USP5.1, UR2, UURollup (daily) and the newest IE Cumulative Update, and add the newest nVIDIA Graphic drivers then everything seems to work fine. On the other hand, when I integrate everything then there's a BSOD when trying to use hardware acceleration in any Web browser. It means that there is something wrong in one of the other updates. I'm investigating it right now.

Edited by tomasz86

@Hackeronte

You're right :blushing:

This is the FINAL statement:

There will be a stable version of UURollup-v11... BUT it will be the last stable version of UURollup. It should be available at least in English and Italian. The planned release date is 24th November.

What stage are you at now? I think I've found a way to easily share your UURollup folder so that I can check it and see what has to be done. Under this link there's a shared SkyDrive folder where anyone can upload files as long as they're logged in. If you've already got a Microsoft Account then you can just log in and upload your UURollup folder, if not then you should create a new account (I hope that it's not a problem for you) and then log in and upload the folder. It's good because this way you can upload files directly to my SkyDrive account.

By the way, at the moment I've been testing a fully updated Win2k installation on my real hardware together with the newest drivers and I've found a bug in one of the updates (don't know yet which one). Basically speaking, when I integrate just USP5.1, UR2, UURollup (daily) and the newest IE Cumulative Update, and add the newest nVIDIA Graphic drivers then everything seems to work fine. On the other hand, when I integrate everything then there's a BSOD when trying to use hardware acceleration in any Web browser. It means that there is something wrong in one of the other updates. I'm investigating it right now.

Congratulations Tom your doing a great job =) Ill do some testing on your latest release

Edited by desertofunknown

@tomasz86

Hi Tom,

I like Final statements :thumbup and i share the opinion of desertofunknown ;).

What stage are you at now?

I'm re-doing on the weekly release of version 11 what you instructed me in ( #56, #62, #80, #87, #104, #105, until #141 ) [see post #207 for the links]

Please tell me IF this is useless and IF it would be better to wait for the stable version of UURollup-v11 and only then begin the ITA project, thanks.

The planned release date is 24th November.

Don't worry at all about the date :yes: i'm perfectly aware about the technicality & intricacy of the matter. You can count on my support

(at least, as far as my knowledge may be of help :lol:)

If you've already got a Microsoft Account

Yes, i already have a skydrive account, no problem at all :sneaky: i'll upload the last results to submit them to your supervision B).

In the mean time: may the force be with you :yes: !

Thanks and regards

Edited by Hackeronte