Unofficial SP 5.2 for Microsoft Windows 2000 (WIP)

tomasz86

Thank you all for your support :)

@Hackeronte

It would be nice to have both versions (ENU & ITA) ready before November 24 but don't worry if we aren't able to accomplish it. The ITA version can be released a little bit later if necessary.

I think that it would be good to have a new script to check the files and automatically differentiate between ENU & ITA language versions. I'll try to prepare something and let you know when it's ready. What you can do now is to download the latest daily and check it (from this moment it will be better to rely on dailies if we want to finish this project in the near future ;)). You can also try to start translating files which will have to be translated for sure, ex. kernel32.dll, or maybe try to search for an easy way to translate DLL files (because the one I used, i.e. a manual translation with PE Explorer is very inefficient and time consuming). If anyone else has got any idea how to translate these files and then be able to apply the changes automatically when a new version is released then please share your thoughts.

At the moment I'm fighting with this newest version of kernel32.dll which causes the problem mentioned in #202. It actually has to be slipstreamed because of other files but it also causes the error so I'm trying to find a workaround but it's not easy and requires to use some "nasty" tricks.

I have just uploaded a new daily of UURollup-v11 and also a new version of the .NET Framework merged installer.

There are a lot of changes in this daily release. I had to implement some tricky and "brutal" workarounds to make it slipstreamable. In the end it's possible to integrate it directly from HF (after repacking of course). In case of the .NET Framework installer I fixed some bugs in the .NET 4.0 installation process.

I have just uploaded a new daily of UURollup-v11 and also a new version of the .NET Framework merged installer.

There are a lot of changes in this daily release. I had to implement some tricky and "brutal" workarounds to make it slipstreamable. In the end it's possible to integrate it directly from HF (after repacking of course). In case of the .NET Framework installer I fixed some bugs in the .NET 4.0 installation process.

tomasz,

Thanks for the new version of the UURollup and all your determination to make it work correctly. I was able to slipstream it without incident.

I ran the .NET Framework installer and it passed the Net Verify tool also. Is it possible to slipstream it or do we need to wait until SP5.2?

My2GirlsDad

Thank you for testing :)

I wonder if you could do the "standard" testing procedure (for both packages) which means

- install

- uninstall

- reinstall

- uninstall

Send me (upload) the log file:

- %windir%\uurollup-*.log in case of UURollup

- %windir%\netfx*.log in case of .NET Framework

I haven't tested slipstreaming in case of .NET Framework but it won't work from HF for sure, and should work from HFSVCPACK_SW1. The files themselves follow the 8.3 name format so HFSLIP will integrate them properly even when placed in HF but the commands from [ProcessesToRun*] in update.inf won't be executed. I can fix this though, and after that it should be also possible to integrate the package directly.

Edit: I was overoptimistic. HFSLIP won't be able to copy the files to the right folders. The only way to slipstream the .NET Framework installer is HFSVCPACK_SW1.

In USP5.2 there are going to be two different .NET installers - one same as the current installer used only when USP5.2 is installed manually in a running system, and a CAB / INF based installer used for slipstreaming executed during Windows setup. It's necessary because a CAB / INF installer can be used before the SVCPACK stage which is important if you want to use SVCPACK to install applications requiring .NET Framework. The OnePiece's .NET true addons are exactly like this but my CABs will be simpler (it will actually be only one CAB for all .NET Framework files).

Edited by tomasz86

Thank you for testing :)

I wonder if you could do the "standard" testing procedure (for both packages) which means

- install

- uninstall

- reinstall

- uninstall

Send me (upload) the log file:

- %windir%\uurollup-*.log in case of UURollup

- %windir%\netfx*.log in case of .NET Framework

I haven't tested slipstreaming in case of .NET Framework but it won't work from HF for sure, and should work from HFSVCPACK_SW1. The files themselves follow the 8.3 name format so HFSLIP will integrate them properly even when placed in HF but the commands from [ProcessesToRun*] in update.inf won't be executed. I can fix this though, and after that it should be also possible to integrate the package directly.

Edit: I was overoptimistic. HFSLIP won't be able to copy the files to the right folders. The only way to slipstream the .NET Framework installer is HFSVCPACK_SW1.

In USP5.2 there are going to be two different .NET installers - one same as the current installer used only when USP5.2 is installed manually in a running system, and a CAB / INF based installer used for slipstreaming executed during Windows setup. It's necessary because a CAB / INF installer can be used before the SVCPACK stage which is important if you want to use SVCPACK to install applications requiring .NET Framework. The OnePiece's .NET true addons are exactly like this but my CABs will be simpler (it will actually be only one CAB for all .NET Framework files).

Have you figured out why hardware acceleration isnt working in browsers correctly?

Have you figured out why hardware acceleration isnt working in browsers correctly?

I don't know :( but I think that Hardware Acceleration does work in Chromium, doesn't it? It doesn't work in Firefox.

By the way, I haven't mentioned it before but the .NET Framework installer should also work in XP and 2003.

Edited by tomasz86

I don't know :( but I think that Hardware Acceleration does work in Chromium, doesn't it? It doesn't work in Firefox.

By the way, I haven't mentioned it before but the .NET Framework installer should also work in XP and 2003.

yeah it works in chrome just not firefox im trying to talk to the firefox developers as we all should to re extend the support for windows 2000 since we have made it compatible with the latest standards...idk what to say other then that perhaps see if black can find a way to fix the problem... im not sure exactly what they have changed.. maybe researcha bit on how windows xp and windows 2000 handle hardware acceleration differently

Edited by desertofunknown

A new daily is ready. I've fixed one bug and updated several files. However there's a possibility that te newly added msftedit.dll is buggy so be careful.

For the last few days I've been fighting with nVIDIA graphic drivers. For some reason nView Dual Display doesn't want to work in the newer versions of the drivers. I've managed to modify the installer so that it installs not only the driver files themselves but also the nVIDIA Control Panel and other tools and eveything seems to work except for Dual Display -_-

It does work in the older versions of the drivers so I'm determined to find out which version exactly broke the Win2k compatibility.

Edited by tomasz86

A new daily is ready. I've fixed one bug and updated several files. However there's a possibility that te newly added msftedit.dll is buggy so be careful.

For the last few days I've been fighting with nVIDIA graphic drivers. For some reason nView Dual Display doesn't want to work in the newer versions of the drivers. I've managed to modify the installer so that it installs not only the driver files themselves but also the nVIDIA Control Panel and other tools and eveything seems to work except for Dual Display -_-

It does work in the older versions of the drivers so I'm determined to find out which version exactly broke the Win2k compatibility.

Do you know of anyway we can get xbox 360 controller drivers working

I've done more testing regarding nVIDIA graphic drivers and it seems that Win2k compatibility was broken between Forceware 185.85 and 186.08.

185.85 - everything works correctly:

post-310716-0-61380900-1351529095_thumb.

but in case of 186.08:

post-310716-0-28069400-1351529146_thumb.

and when trying to enable Dualview:

post-310716-0-63952300-1351529145_thumb.

I'm now going to find out what the difference between these two versions is and what exactly is responsible for this problem, and also whether there's any way to fix it.

Edit: I've also found this very interesting topic which may be useful to repack the drivers' installer later.

@desertofunknown

Frankly speaking, I've got no idea about Xbox. What kind of drivers are you thinking about? Could you give any links to download them?

Edited by tomasz86

I've done more testing regarding nVIDIA graphic drivers and it seems that Win2k compatibility was broken between Forceware 185.85 and 186.08.

185.85 - everything works correctly:

post-310716-0-61380900-1351529095_thumb.

but in case of 186.08:

post-310716-0-28069400-1351529146_thumb.

and when trying to enable Dualview:

post-310716-0-63952300-1351529145_thumb.

I'm now going to find out what the difference between these two versions is and what exactly is responsible for this problem, and also whether there's any way to fix it.

Edit: I've also found this very interesting topic which may be useful to repack the drivers' installer later.

@desertofunknown

Frankly speaking, I've got no idea about Xbox. What kind of drivers are you thinking about? Could you give any links to download them?

http://matt-land.com/xbcd/ ----These are the Unofficial drivers which do not work as needed

http://download.microsoft.com/download/6/9/4/69446ACF-E625-4CCF-8F56-58B589934CD3/Xbox360_32Eng.exe These are the official drivers that work in windows xp sp2+

Also do you think the break in the Nvidia drivers Dual View might somehow be related to the problem with hardware acceleration in firefox?

Edited by desertofunknown

I don't think that the current problem with nVIDIA drivers may have anything to do regarding the hardware acceleration issues :(

I've checked the Xbox official package and what you need to do to install it is:

1. Unpack it (using ex. 7-Zip).
  2. Go to "xbox360\setup\files\driver\vista_xp" and open "xusb21.inf".
  3. Find "[MSFT.NTx86]" and change it to "[MSFT]". Save changes.
  4. Go to "xbox360\setup".
  5. Use Orca to open "xboxacc.msi", go to "LaunchCondition" and remove everything from there. Save changes.
  6. Run "xboxacc.msi".

I don't think that the current problem with nVIDIA drivers may have anything to do regarding the hardware acceleration issues :(

I've checked the Xbox official package and what you need to do to install it is:

1. Unpack it (using ex. 7-Zip).
  2. Go to "xbox360\setup\files\driver\vista_xp" and open "xusb21.inf".
  3. Find "[MSFT.NTx86]" and change it to "[MSFT]". Save changes.
  4. Go to "xbox360\setup".
  5. Use Orca to open "xboxacc.msi", go to "LaunchCondition" and remove everything from there. Save changes.
  6. Run "xboxacc.msi".

Just genius as a side note this will be very good to include as a separate addon with the USP as the Windows98se Unofficial SP 3.9 was included and it was very helpful

I've also noticed the dualview issues which are outlined here and it's a very annoying problem. Something else that also doesn't seem to work right is the new control panel. I've noticed I got it working a couple of times but sadly I can't remember what I did to make it work. I like using custom resolutions and really appreciate the feature in the new control panel. It appears in the classic one but seems broken as anything you put into the boxes, it says that it cannot be added. I'm thinking some files have been removed as I noticed a couple newer package have smaller filesizes. Version 197.95 seems really screwed up. I don't know what happens but it doesn't work at all when you use the installer.

I know what has to be done to enable DualView in case of the 18x/19x drivers work. It's just one registry entry which was present in 185.85 (and below) but was removed later. This doesn't apply to the newest drivers though as something else seems to be broken in them. There's also another issue related to the nVIDIA Service which loads up VERY slowly in some of the 19x drivers and I haven't had time to do the proper testing yet.

Just genius as a side note this will be very good to include as a separate addon with the USP as the Windows98se Unofficial SP 3.9 was included and it was very helpful

The driver is very small and it really shouldn't be a problem to include it in USP5.2 itself... but could you first tell me what exactly it is needed for? As I said before, I've got no clue about Xbox. What can you do with the driver installed?