Unofficial SP 5.2 for Microsoft Windows 2000 (WIP)

tomasz86

A new daily version of UURollup is ready.

I've fixed a few bugs, updated several files to the newest versions (I overlooked them before), added ProcessExplorer (procexp.exe) and the newest version of videoprt.sys from BlackWingCat. It's no longer necessary to install / slipstream the unofficial update KB829884 any more.

I've also partially added Terminal Services for Win2k Professional. At the moment the service is only present but doesn't work. I'm going to implement them fully later.

Edit: Keep in mind that this release is very experimental.

Edited by tomasz86

@tomasz86

Hi tom,

I'm reading your latest posts and i'm glad to hear that you're adding new tools & candies ;) to your Unofficial SP 5.2, good job man!

At this time i'm pretty busy so i can't answer punctually to your last call ( #211 if i remeber well )

The ITA version can be released a little bit later if necessary. <-- i'm perfectly & positively agree with you, time is not important only life is important !

I think that it would be good to have a new script <-- As above, it woul be wonderful to have such script, but don't worry i think it woud be better to test

thoroughly the ENU version an then work with much ease the ITA stuff ( what do you think or suggest ? ).

You can also try to start translating files which will have to be translated for sure <-- if you could write a partial list of the main files or of the most laborious files

which definitively need a translation that would be of help, thanks.

At the moment I'm fighting with this newest version of kernel32.dll <-- BWC generously wrote a ITA ( Italian Windows2000-KB979683-v8-x86-ITA.exe )

Do you think that version could possibly works for ITA Unofficial SP 5.2 ?

Regards

Edited by Hackeronte

I've uploaded a new daily version of UURollup. The one from yesterday is extremely buggy. Please don't use it!

The bugs are fixed in the current version. What's new is that it removes Automatic Updates from the system (before it just disabled them). In case of a slipstreamed source Automatic Updates are just not installed at all and when installed manually the service and the Control Panel applet are removed. There's one file which cannot be simply deleted though (wuaueng.dll) because doing so breaks several other system services so at the moment it's just left untouched.

I've also added two different versions of ProcessExplorer - the last official version fully compatible with Win2k (v11.31 - procexp.exe) and the latest one (v15.23 - procexp2.exe).

Terminal Services are not installed at all in this version.

@Hackeronte

I remember about the ITA version ;) I think that it may be better to have the final ENU version ready and then prepare the ITA version. It will be much easier then.

I'll provide a full list of files later but what you can do now is to check "kernel32.dll" and "ntdll.dll". These are the core files and have to be translated anyway so you may want to start working on them now. I think that there should exist a way to just copy all of the strings from kernel32.dll (ITA) to kernel32.dll (ENU) :unsure:

@tomasz86

I think that there should exist a way to just copy all of the strings from kernel32.dll (ITA) to kernel32.dll (ENU)...

I'll find & check the way, thanks.

By the way, for the translation, can i use the kernel32.dll contained in the latest

ENU daily release of UURollup (Windows2000-UURollup-v11-d...6-ENU.7z), am i right ?

if yes, which file ? cause we have 3 kernel32.dll : one contained in nt6 folder, another in uniproc folder and a last one in

the 7z archive (root dir)

thanks

regards

Edited by Hackeronte

To be specific, there are actually four of them :angel

kernel32.dll 5.0.2195.7187

uniproc\kernel32.dll 5.0.2195.7187

nt6\kernel32.dll 5.0.2195.7192

nt6\uniproc\kernel32.dll 5.0.2195.7192

and unless something unexpected happens all of them will be required. The thing is that the language dependent strings are exactly the same in all of them. They are also the same in the official version of kernel32.dll. That's why I wrote about copying the strings so that you would be able to just take them from the official kernel32.dll (ITA) and paste them into the four kernel32.dll (ENU) files replacing the ENU strings.

After more testing I think that there might be a problem with these new nVIDIA drivers and how they work in Win2k. As I've already mentioned before, I experienced several system instabilities, including BSODs. The applications I used were the same as I use everyday so I suspected either the new kernel or the drivers. First I installed the newest drivers v306.81 (the modified package) and later I also tried v270.61. Unfortunately it didn't change anything.

Finally I installed the old drivers v94.24... and the system seems to be stable now! Of course I still need to do more testing but I'm suspecting the new drivers to cause the instabilities.

By the way, I forgot to mention it yesterday but I also added this setting to the latest daily version of UURollup:

For Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003:

SharedSection uses the following format to specify the system and desktop heaps:

SharedSection=xxxx,yyyy,zzzz

For 32-bit operating systems, increase the yyyy value to "12288";

Increase the zzzz value to "1024".

After doing more testing it seems that the problem lies in PAE, not in the drivers or any other files. I've been using the system with PAE switched off for a few days and everything seems to be rock stable. I haven't experienced a single issue.

As for the nVIDIA display drivers, the version which I'm using at the moment is the original 270.61 but I'm going to switch to the modified 306.81 (core files from 270.61 and the rest from 306.81). There's a problem in the previous package which I uploaded some time ago. File versions don't match and the OpenGL driver refuses to start. I'll have to manually change the version numbers to get them work. If anyone has installed the previous package then I'd recommend to uninstall it through the Add/Remove Programs applet (the uninstaller works perfectly OK) and then use the 270.61 package which I've also uploaded to the Archive (USP52 folder). I've learnt one more thing though. I said before that the driver v270.61 was the last one compatible with Win2k but I was actually wrong. It's the last version where the installer is compatible but the driver itself does not work in a stock system. You need to install UURollup to get it work.

Anyway, I've got not enough time to focus on any other Win2k related stuff now but later I'm going to update my website too. It'll be a big update with a lot of changes, new things added and updated :) I'd like to simplify some things so that it will be much easier to find all the useful information.

Sounds awesome! I would love to help in any way I can if you need it. :)

Just one thing about the nVIDIA driver, will it contain the control panel or just a plain driver? Only reason I ask is since I use dual monitors, if I don't have SOME kind of control panel, I can only use one monitor so that's a bit of a downer. I'd just like to make sure of this before I start messing with my system and then have to undo it all again.

Don't worry about the Control Panel :lol: I also use Dualview and the Display Properties Extension in installed with the drivers. The other tools like nView and etc. are not installed but they aren't necessary to configure dual monitors.

tc7Ppl.jpg

Which driver are you using at the moment? You can test v270.61 available in the Archive.

By the way, I've uploaded two daily versions of UURollup today:

- UURollup v11 d121114

and

- UURollup v10d d121114

As UURollup-v11 is still not ready to be called stable I've decided to just fix a few bugs in UURollup-v10c. It's going to be released on November 24. There are mainly two things which I've fixed:

• Some registry changes were not applied when slipstreamed.
  • Srv.sys included in UURollup-v10c is buggy (STOP 0x1E in SRV.SYS) so I've replaced it with the new corrected version.

No other significant changes have been made.

Edited by tomasz86

It should be available now :blushing:

By the way, I've managed to change the Shut Down button a little bit:

uahM8.jpg

I just used ResHacker to modify explorer.exe and change the code like this:

POPUP "Sh&ut Down...", 506, MFT_STRING, MFS_ENABLED, 0
{
MENUITEM "&Log off", 402, MFT_STRING, MFS_ENABLED
}

Now the problem is that I've got no idea what numbers could work for other options (shut down, restart, standby, hibernate). I can't find any valuable information in the Internet about it. If anyone has got any idea on this topic please share your knowledge.

The original shut down menu still works - it appears after double clicking on "Shut down...".

I've managed to convert help into a Shut Down shortcut (icon unchanged yet):

1shBm.jpg

I'd just like to explain briefly what this Start Menu modification is about. Generally speaking, I'm not interested in adding any system UI modifications to UURollup / USP5.2. Everyone has their own preferences so I don't want to force anyone to use the system UI which I'm fond of as what I like may not appeal to you. Is it right? :P

This shut down menu will be the only change of the UI done be me. I've always found the original Shut Down menu very inefficient (3 or even 4 clicks if you want to change the default option) while such a drop down menu requires only 1 click. Of course there will be an option to revert to the unchanged original menu if you don't like it.

Edited by tomasz86

A new daily release of UURollup-v11 is ready. BlackWingCat updated his kernel so I've added the new files to UURollup. I've also added "shutdown.exe" and "powercfg.exe" from Windows 2003 Server.

Edit: I forgot to mention that the new update for XP (KB2727528) is also included in the newest daily.

I've also just uploaded a new updated version of the .NET Framework merged installer. It's based on the newest releases of the OnePiece's addons which means that all new security fixes are included in it. The installer has also been slightly changed (sc.exe isn't utilised to create services any more because everything is done through the INF installer itself).

Edited by tomasz86

I've managed to convert help into a Shut Down shortcut (icon unchanged yet):

1shBm.jpg

I'd just like to explain briefly what this Start Menu modification is about. Generally speaking, I'm not interested in adding any system UI modifications to UURollup / USP5.2. Everyone has their own preferences so I don't want to force anyone to use the system UI which I'm fond of as what I like may not appeal to you. Is it right? :P

This shut down menu will be the only change of the UI done be me. I've always found the original Shut Down menu very inefficient (3 or even 4 clicks if you want to change the default option) while such a drop down menu requires only 1 click. Of course there will be an option to revert to the unchanged original menu if you don't like it.

This is very interesting actually and it almost leaves room for a later date to possibly turn the Windows 2000 GUI into something similar to Windows Vista or Windows 7 (since both of them follow that rule). It would be very cool to have the either or function so you could swap whenever you felt like it. Whether or not it could be changed via a menu, I don't know, but at least it's a possible idea in the future.

(testing later nVIDIA driver now and will report any findings)