Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Unofficial SP 5.2 for Microsoft Windows 2000

• Please log in to reply
739 replies to this topic

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10
Wow! I want to thank everyone for your support B)

I've been still analyzing the .NET Framework related stuff. I need to make sure there are no compatibility problems, etc. I'm going to make .NET 1.0 & 1.1 optional and 2.0, 3.0, 3.5 & 4.0 always installed. There are three scenarios regarding .NET 1.0 & 1.1:

1) .NET 1.0 (1.1) is already installed -> USP 5.2 will install .NET 1.0 (1.1), i.e. the existing installation will be updated.
2) .NET 1.0 (1.1) is not installed -> USP 5.2 will not install them but they will be available to install from Control Panel on user's request later.
3) In case of integration (/integrate) it's the same situation as in 2).

I've also updated M$ hotfix installer to the newest version, i.e. 6.3.13.0. It's required in order to be able to set some more advanced conditional sections in the update.inf.

Edited by tomasz86, 16 May 2012 - 02:17 AM.

Posted Image
Unofficial Service Pack 5.2 for MS Windows 2000 <- use this topic if you need help with UURollup, Update Rollup 2 and other unofficial packages

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

jimmsta

jimmsta

computer janitor

• PipPipPip
  • 388 posts
  • Joined 04-May 05
I primarily use your patches for testing anyways, so include me with the testers of USP5.2 :P
Creator and Maintainer of BootZilla.org

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,520 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10
There are more people willing to test than I thought there would be. Thank you very much once again.

I've been still fighting with the .NET related content. These .NET Frameworks install directly from CABs so installation & uninstallation process is very different from the normal M$ hotfix style. I need to make sure there are no issues, ex.

1) You've got .NET Framework 2.0 installed in your system before installing USP 5.2.
2) You install USP 5.2 so .NET Framework 2.0 is updated too.
3 You decide to uninstall USP 5.2... so what should happen to .NET 2.0? In this case it should be left untouched because it had been already present in the system before installing the USP.

It shall be different when:

1) You've got no .NET 2.0 in your system.
2) You install USP 5.2 so .NET 2.0 is installed with it.
3) You uninstall USP5.2... and in this case .NET 2.0 should also be uninstalled because there had been no .NET 2.0 in the system before installing the USP.

Everything is repeated for all the other Frameworks, i.e. 1.0, 1.1, 2.0, 3.0, 3.5 and 4.0. In case of .NET 1.0 and 1.1 the situation is different though. They are not installed with USP 5.2 by default but rather available to install on user's request from the Control Panel. There's one exception - if you've already got them in your system then they will be installed (and not uninstalled if you remove the USP).

I hope everything is clear. This is some crazy stuff actually :w00t: because there's absolutely NO documentation about all these functions I'm using. That's why I've been analysing the update.inf file from SP2 for Windows Server 2003 because it's much much more advanced than the one from W2K's SP4/USP5 and most of the things needed are there. Still, due to the fact that nothing is documented, it's a trial and error game.

For example, this is what I managed to do for .NET Framework 1.1 and 2.0.

Spoiler

and all of this is only to make installation and uninstallation of these two Framework work :lol: and I'm still not sure if everything works correctly.
Posted Image
Unofficial Service Pack 5.2 for MS Windows 2000 <- use this topic if you need help with UURollup, Update Rollup 2 and other unofficial packages

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,520 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10
I wonder what you think about re-using this icon:

Posted Image

It was used by Gurgelmeyer in his signature linking to "http://www.willsdown...og/win2ksp5.php" which is not online anymore. The icon itself seems to be made originally by a person called Aegis. He was banned here long time ago so unfortunately it's not possible to ask for his opinion on it.

Do you think it would be (in)appropriate to use it for USP 5.2?
Posted Image

Tommy

Tommy

Brooke's Tommy honey <3

• PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • Joined 19-February 10
I like it myself. Maybe it wouldn't hurt to add the little windows logo in it as well?
Daily running Windows 2000 Pro SP4 and Windows 98

Posted Image
Posted Image

bphlpt

bphlpt

MSFN Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,798 posts
  • Joined 12-May 07
You're welcome to use this lame attempt at a small edit of that image if everyone agrees that it is appropriate.

Posted Image

Cheers and Regards

Posted Image

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,520 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10
Thanks bphlpt. It looks very nice. If there's no objection I'll use it for the USP 5.2.
Posted Image

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

The Resurrector for old Windows OS

• 2,528 posts
  • Joined 07-October 05
I can use a test build right about now, if you have one ready.

Believe God is the Alpha and Omega.
Believe Jesus Christ died for our sins.
Repent for your sins now or there will be
BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,520 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10

I can use a test build right about now, if you have one ready.

Unfortunately not yet :no:

I'll let you know if I manage to prepare something.
Posted Image

Tommy

Tommy

Brooke's Tommy honey <3

• PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • Joined 19-February 10
I appreciate all your hard work! I'm eager to test it too, but take your time.
Daily running Windows 2000 Pro SP4 and Windows 98

Posted Image
Posted Image

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,520 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10
I've managed to set up a website:

http://www.windows2000.tk

I want to store there all information, details and links related to USP 5.2 and other packages. Of course I'll update this topic too :)

Any comments or critique is welcomed. Please tell me if there is something missing, something more to add or if there are any errors. I've added the URL together with the icon (thanks bphlpt!) to my signature.
Posted Image

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,520 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10
There is a bug in HFSLIP. If you use HFSLIP to slipstream USP5 or if you use HFSLIP to process a source with USP5 integrated then (until HFSLIP is fixed) you must add this line to "SOURCESS\I386\SVCPACK.INF" after using HFSLIP:

SETUPUSP.EXE /Q /N /Z

Edited by tomasz86, 18 June 2012 - 04:07 AM.

Posted Image

xpclient

xpclient

XP was my idea. 3rd party apps make NT6 my idea.

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  • Joined 30-July 05
Hey I'm interested in testing too. I forgot where we left off our discussion on all the post SP5 hotfixes but I have collected ALL post SP5 hotfixes-by-request updates for Windows 2000 and would like to share them if it helps. Did I upload them or not I don't remember. Anyways, I uploaded them here: http://sdrv.ms/NdoUGA Long overdue.

Edited by xpclient, 19 June 2012 - 03:44 AM.

Impossible to run NT6 without third party fixes.

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,520 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10
I'm thinking about making test versions public. I want to do it because (after a few weeks of testing) I've got a feeling that this project is much more difficult than than all the previous packages I've prepared up to now. Preparing and testing single updates or even update rollups is extremely easy compared to this thing... What's important is that testing a service pack takes a lot more time and I'm just unable to do it all myself. I'm very thankful to all of people already involved in testing but I think we need more people and more input. If we don't do it then it will take forever to finish the USP :ph34r:

First of all, I think the current testing process must be simplified. At the moment HFSLIP must be used to slipstream UURollup in order to have the USP integrate and install properly. I'd like to avoid this as it just takes too much time to process the package through HFSLIP. Starting from the next test version I'll make it possible to slipstream the USP using the "/integrate" switch and prepare an ISO directly from it without using other tools (HFSLIP, nLite, etc.). I've already prepared a script which will automatically create the ISO after slipstreaming. Maybe later Qemu could be also used so the whole procedure will be simplified as much as possible.

As soon as possible I'll provide an URL where all test versions of USP will be located. Everyone will be able to download and test them. I'm going to upload new versions very often (being realistic it'll be probably one version every few days). All changes done in each build will be also described in details.

What's your opinion about it?
Posted Image

jimmsta

jimmsta

computer janitor

• PipPipPip
  • 388 posts
  • Joined 04-May 05
I say make 'em public. It seems stable enough to me for people to test it outside of the select few current testers. Besides, I only test on virtual machines - making it public should allow for more types of hardware to test on.
Creator and Maintainer of BootZilla.org

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,520 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10
I'll try to upload the test builds as soon as possible.

By the way, I've tried Qemu and, while it's very easy to run and make everything automatic with just one click, the problem is that it's very slow compared to VirtualBox. I wonder if it's a problem related to the particular version or is is a general problem of Qemu under Windows? Could anyone more knowledgeable about it clarify? Is there any specific version of Qemu you would recommend?

Edited by tomasz86, 22 June 2012 - 10:12 AM.

Posted Image

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,520 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10
I'm also thinking about remaking all .NET Framework addons to integrate them directly into the USP. I find these CAB addons quite problematic and have got too little control of them in the current state. It's not an easy task, especially in case of .NET 3.0 and 4.0 as they are pretty massive but I think I'll give it a try. At the moment .NET Framework CABs are used in the test versions but I'll remove them in the future ones.

Edit: I've just managed to remake the .NET 1.0 installer. Frankly speaking, it was a piece of cake. Preparing .NET 1.1 should be similarly easy. On the other hand, hell starts from .NET 2.0 and 4.0 seems be the worst one. The INF file itself is over 2 MB.

Edited by tomasz86, 22 June 2012 - 05:12 PM.

Posted Image

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,520 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10
I have added a link to the first post where you can find test versions.

At the moment there is available only the .NET Framework 1.0 installer I talked about above.

This is the testing procedure:

1. Download and unpack the .7z package.
2. Install using update\update.exe.
3. Uninstall.
4. Reinstall
5. Uninstall.
6. Send / upload the two files from your %systemroot% (usually C:\WINNT) directory: NETFX10.log & NETFX10Uninst.log.
7. Report any errors (you can do it in this topic or send me a PM).

.NET Framework 1.0 requires only SP4 to be present. I'll be very thankful for testing it because if everything is OK then I can use the same method for other Frameworks :)

Edited by tomasz86, 23 June 2012 - 07:25 AM.

Posted Image

Hackeronte

Hackeronte

Windows 2000 Pro ©® Fashion

• Pip
  • 55 posts
  • Joined 18-July 10
Hi tomasz86,

Me too i,m a Windows 2000 Addict, so i'd like to know and ask if there will be any global version of this astonishing project

as, for example, the Windows2000-UURollup-v3a-x86-Global.exe.

By the way and out of context i,ve installed your Unofficial Updates Rollup and it's working perfectly and smoothly: GREAT WORK!

So, if I can be of help in some way for the italian part of the global version let me know

thanks and regards

hackeronte

acus

acus

• 45 posts
  • Joined 30-January 10
Hi Tomasz,

log files for you

http://ge.tt/7MOJRYJ/v/0?c

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,520 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10
@acus
Thanks a lot of testing. I've prepared a combined version of .NET 1.0+1.1 installer. It's available in the repository (see #1).

The filename of the .NET 1.0+1.1 installer is NETFX1011_20120625.004123.7z.

This is a combined .NET Framework 1.0 and 1.1 installer so it will install both of them at the same time, and both of them will be removed too if you decide to uninstall the package. They are based on the true addons created by OnePiece and of course they are fully updated.

What's interesting is that you can see that this repacked installer doesn't even require a reboot to finish all tasks. Now, I'm very sorry to say this but the official M$ installers for .NET Framework are a piece of junk :thumbdown :thumbdown :thumbdown They are slow and you always have to reboot. Compared to them the repacked version is super fast. A big advantage of merging .NET Frameworks is that there are some overlapping files between different versions of it and by using a merged installer it's possible to have only one copy of each of them.

One problem I had to solve was that many (most) of the files have exactly same names even though they come from different versions of .NET Framework, ex. a file "mscorie.dll" is present in .NET 1.0, 1.1 and 2.0. I decided to use a simple way. I renamed all files to MD5(first 8 digits).net like this:

0189c803.net
01a9326d.net
02ec75da.net
04600ba4.net
048297b5.net
You may have already seen them if you downloaded the .NET 1.0 installer. Thanks to this method all exactly same files are merged and only one of them is left, and also different files but with same name can be included in the package. Of course these files are renamed during the installation, so "0189c803.net" becomes "System.ServiceProcess.Resources.dll", etc. The method has another HUGE advantage - all of them have the 8.3 name format which means that they can be used when Windows setup is launched from DOS. This is critical because I plan to add them to the USP.

Anyway, could anyone test the new .NET 1.0+1.1 installer? The testing procedure is described above (#43), only the logfile is now called "NETFX1011.log". Keep in mind that if you uninstall it your existing .NET 1.0/1.1 installations may be broken so please always test in a VM. I've also fixed one issue present in the previous .NET 1.0 package. By the way, I won't delete any previous packages from the server (SkyDrive) so all of them will be accessible from there unless I run out of disk space.

@Hackeronte
Thanks for your support B)

Yes, there are actually many things you could help. Everything depends on what you are interested in. Do you want to focus only on the Global version, i.e. a version that can be installed in ALL language versions of Win2k, or maybe you want to prepare an Spanish version of UURollup?

1. In case you want to improve the Global version of UURollup then what you can do is to:
- check and compare files from UURollup-v10 (ENU) and UURollup-v3a (Global) and see if there are any newer files in the ENU version which could be added to the Global one
- check files included in the ENU version and see if there are any multilanguage / language neutral files
- add the compatible files to UURollup (Global)

2. In case you want to create an Spanish version of UURollup then you could:
- analyse files present in UURollup (ENU) and check which of them are multilanguage / language neutral and which are English only
- translate the English only files into Spanish
- compile UURollup (ESP)

As you see the two approaches are very different. Both of them require TIME but the first one is still much simpler. On the other hand, by choosing the latter you are able to create a full version of UURollup (ESP) which means that all files with new / extended APIs (mainly kernel related files) will be also there. In case of a Global version it's not possible to include kernel files in it because kernel files are very different according to the system language, especially very different in case of East Asian languages (CHT/CHS/JPN/KOR) and European languages.

First of all, please specify which way you prefer and then I can provide you with some scripts and tools that will help you check and compare all the files :)

Edit: I'm sorry, I messed up the languages. I meant a Spanish version, not Italian :blushing:

Edited by tomasz86, 24 June 2012 - 10:16 AM.

Posted Image

acus

acus

• 45 posts
  • Joined 30-January 10
http://ge.tt/3y3dqZJ/v/0?c

Hi Tomasz,

log files for you...

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,520 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10

Could you try to install the package again and then run from commandline (a CMD file) this:

C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705\Copy2Gac.exe /i /f:C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705\assemblylist.txt /p:C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705\ /ri:"Microsoft.NET v1.0.3705" /rd:"Microsoft.NET Framework assembly" /q
PAUSE
Is there any error on the screen?

Edit: I'm guessing you'll see an error related to "msvcr71.dll" but I need to be sure before making any changes.

Edited by tomasz86, 24 June 2012 - 11:25 AM.

Posted Image

acus

acus

• 45 posts
  • Joined 30-January 10
Hi Tomasz,

in Virtualbox, only SP4, no other Rollup.
I reinstalled Net1011.
After running cmd file, I had one error
http://ge.tt/4FhP3aJ/v/0

Then copied (and registered) msvcr71.dll.
Rerun cmd file, no error this time
http://ge.tt/4FhP3aJ/v/1

Regards

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,520 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10
I've uploaded two new builds of the .NET 1.0-1.1 installer (you should be interested only in the newest one). MSVCR71.DLL is now copied to the .NET 1.0 directory so everything should work properly.

I initially thought about taking more aggressive approach and merge all registry entries of .NET 1.0 and 1.1 as well (at the moment they are treated separately in the INF file) but after thinking about it I decided not to do it. I'll opt for a safe route and leave them separated (even though most of .NET 1.0 registry stuff is also present in .NET 1.1) as you never know what will be needed in the future.

Now I'm going to focus on .NET 2.0. As I said before, it's hell :ph34r: There are about 7000 lines added to the registry through the INF file.

Edit: I have uploaded one more build of the .NET 1.0-1.1 installer. There was one typo in the previous one's update.inf file.

Edited by tomasz86, 25 June 2012 - 04:07 AM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users