Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Unofficial SP 5.2 for Microsoft Windows 2000

• Please log in to reply
739 replies to this topic

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts
To be more specific, the current version of blackwingcat's 979683 is v14a and it's available together with his kernel here. Both of them are included in UURollup-v11.

Edited by tomasz86, 13 April 2013 - 11:23 PM.

Posted Image
Unofficial Service Pack 5.2 for MS Windows 2000 <- use this topic if you need help with UURollup, Update Rollup 2 and other unofficial packages

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

marcdw

marcdw

• 11 posts

@marcdw I'm suspecting that the problem may be caused by the broken user32.dll which is included in UURollup-v10d. Could you try to install the newest daily release of UURollup-v11 and see if it's fixed?

Your dailies are 7zip files with no instructions on what to do with them. The latest daily I got is 20130323 so I downloaded a same-dated weekly (which actually has some files newer
than in the daily.

1) New splash screen caught me off guard :sneaky:
2) Certificate issues fixed

Alas, I'm still having problems. First there were a number of issues dealing with performance counters (fixed, I think).
Then something to do with event ids 3409 and 8313 (forgot the details already) but that was fixed by having the Remote Registry service
running (sadly).

But the big issue is it's throwing an exception. I had sql service pack 4 and installed the latest cumulative update on top to see if anything
would change.
For good measure I completely removed all traces of sql and started a new install but install won't finish due to the exception.

Event ID: 17311
----------------------
SQL Server is terminating because of fatal exception c0000005. This error may be caused by an unhandled Win32 or C++ exception, or by an access violation encountered during exception handling. Check the SQL error log for any related stack dumps or messages. This exception forces SQL Server to shutdown. To recover from this error, restart the server (unless SQLAgent is configured to auto restart).

The stack dump isn't too big. Here it is.

Spoiler

My goal is to be able to hfslip win2k and office 2003 (which seems to break Microsoft Update [Error number: 0x8024402F]) but not until I either
get sqlserver working or just decide to dump it. Not like I really have a need for it. I like a challenge. :P

Marc
Windows 2000 Pro, Xubuntu 12.10, Dell OptiPlex GX260 SFF, Pentium 4 @ 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 160GB WD Drive, Nvidia GeForce FX5200, Dual Monitors
DOS Internet & Tandy 1000
Windows 3.x Makeover

AnX

AnX

• PipPip
  • 162 posts
A little off topic of what's going on, but I have the latest Avast 8 on the weekly (March 23, 2013) UUR 11. When I tried with the daily, it gave me runtime errors and throttled my CPU like a racecar. But on weekly, stable and the stock Win2k, it works just fine.

AnX

AnX

• PipPip
  • 162 posts

Instead of Windows Defender, you can use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

Well, I'll tell you. I love that program but I'm a little worried about using it now because I did it a few times on a Windows 2000 machine and after rebooting, I'd get a blue screen saying Invalid License Key or something to that effect. It basically ruined my install. That was probably about a year and a half ago but I haven't tried it since. Can you verify that this works flawlessly and won't ruin my install?

Well, I'm running the latest version of Malwarebytes on the weekly March 23, 2013.
Avast! 8 works on this, too. However avast! 8 has major problems on daily.

bluebolt

bluebolt

• Pip
  • 51 posts
The 32CPU worked fine, thank you, showing 8 CPUs in Task Manager, which became 4 CPUs with hyper-threading disabled. The top four lines in the CrystalMark results are at least 10% higher with HT disabled.

On a separate note, unfortunately I tried to update the BWC HD driver, because I noticed there was a new version (win2k_145111). I uninstalled the previous version (win2k_145110), rebooted and ran the new one. The grand result was that I wrecked my video driver.

Now I can’t even get 145110 to install; the installation process aborts and the system reboots. I’ve tried uninstalling all unknown devices in safe mode, but the driver still won’t install now.

Edited by bluebolt, 14 April 2013 - 10:39 AM.

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,520 posts
@marcdw Glad that the certificate issue has been fixed. I don't really know what the problem with the SQL Server is. Does it work correctly without UURollup? We need to make sure that it's UURollup to break it and not any other component. Please also take into account that I'm not a programmer and have got no knowledge about more advanced debugging so if the problem is really caused by the unofficial patches then it will be probably necessary to ask blackwingcat about it. Still, first of all, we need to know which unofficial package is the culprit.

@AnX This is very interesting. There are only two differences between the daily and the weekly version. The first one is Calculator (calc.exe) which I'm 99% sure that has got nothing to do with Avast. The second one is urlmon.dll which may be related since Avast seems to rely on IE engine (that's why it doesn't work in Windows 2000 with IE5). I'll try to check it later.

@bluebolt Which exact driver are you talking about? Could you give me a link, and also tell me the hardware ID of the device? I'll try to look into it.

Edited by tomasz86, 15 April 2013 - 02:32 AM.

Posted Image
Unofficial Service Pack 5.2 for MS Windows 2000 <- use this topic if you need help with UURollup, Update Rollup 2 and other unofficial packages

bluebolt

bluebolt

• Pip
  • 51 posts

@bluebolt Which exact driver are you talking about? Could you give me a link, and also tell me the hardware ID of the device? I'll try to look into it.

I’m talking about the Intel Series HD Graphic Driver that BWC has made available for Windows 2000 with the i7 CPU. The link is here:

http://translate.goo...org/drivers.htm

...and from there I click the "Intel Series / HD Graphic Driver" link.

The filename of the most recent version is w2k_145111.exe (dated 2013/4/08).
The filename of the previous version is w2k_145110.exe (which worked for me before).

I decided to start with a fresh OS installation (USP5.1/HFSLIP with INF integrated, followed by .NET Frameworks 1.0 to 4.0). When I ran the new driver (145111) the computer again went into a reboot loop.

So I began again with another fresh OS installation. This time I installed the driver that had worked before (145110), and the installation went fine.

Apparently the new driver has some sort of problem, at least in terms of my setup.

Edited by bluebolt, 15 April 2013 - 07:12 PM.

AnX

AnX

• PipPip
  • 162 posts
Mostly Avast! has troubles with Visual C++ Runtime errors. They pop up on the daily version, and the CPU is throttled literally like a racecar, but it is very well behaved on the weekly. No errors at all. OR could it be because I've UPGRADED avast 7 to 8? I have to further investigate.

UPDATE: That was it! The fact that I've upgraded avast! 7 to 8 was the reason it's working. I've tested the weekly just now on a VM and a direct install of avast 8! And the Visual C++ errors popped up again! So our only solution is to install avast 7.0.1483 and upgrade it to version 8.
And on stock Win2k avast! 8 works by itself like a dream. I need to test UUR 10d, also.

Stock Win2k seems to have better compatibility than it used to have, now. :(

MAJOR EDIT: I've figured it ALL out. The problem is the avast! Software Updater. It is responsible for all of the errors and CPU throttles.
Basically it's a tool to ensure your software is up to date. It is unnecessary, anyway. It is obviously conflicting with the Unofficial MS Visual C++ 2010. So all UURs have this problem. No problem, uninstall it using the avast! installer.

Edited by AnX, 16 April 2013 - 10:37 AM.

bluebolt

bluebolt

• Pip
  • 51 posts

MAJOR EDIT: I've figured it ALL out. The problem is the avast! Software Updater. It is responsible for all of the errors and CPU throttles.
Basically it's a tool to ensure your software is up to date. It is unnecessary, anyway. It is obviously conflicting with the Unofficial MS Visual C++ 2010. So all UURs have this problem. No problem, uninstall it using the avast! installer.

Nice job, AnX, this is good to know. It’s been a while since I set up a Windows 2000 computer for surfing the web, but I definitely plan to do so in the near future, and it sounds like Avast! is just about the only game in town for anti-virus.

AnX

AnX

• PipPip
  • 162 posts

Nice job, AnX, this is good to know. It’s been a while since I set up a Windows 2000 computer for surfing the web, but I definitely plan to do so in the near future, and it sounds like Avast! is just about the only game in town for anti-virus.

Glad to help you out. Avast!, along with Malware Defender (available on windows2000.tk) and MBAM make a good security wall. I also recommend Advanced SystemCare 6.

One more issue: The network status in Windows 2000 for some reason has stopped working.... I tried to start the service, but it gives an error. Strange. Well, it isn't interfering with the Internet, so I'll let it be for now. I'll do a reinstall next month.

Tommy

Tommy

Brooke's Tommy honey <3

• PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

I also recommend Advanced SystemCare 6.

I second that. I've been using it since version 3 I believe it was and I've been using the paid version for 2 years now. It's well worth the price tag. A little tip though, get it around New Years, you'll get it for about $12.95 and a license for 3 PCs. Works wonders on Windows 2000! Pair it with SmartDefrag and you have a lean, mean, 2000 machine! :D
Daily running Windows 2000 Pro SP4 and Windows 98

Posted Image
Posted Image

bluebolt

bluebolt

• Pip
  • 51 posts
Another favorite of mine is SpywareBlaster. One neat thing about Windows 2000 is the compactness of the installation, and it’s nice to have software consistent with that trait. SpywareBlaster is free yet provides active protection, an unusual feature for freeware.

marcdw

marcdw

• 11 posts
@tomasz86

I don't really know what the problem with the SQL Server is.

Yeah, neither do I at this point. I'm also not a programmer so making full sense of the dump is beyond me.

First, a few points about UURollup v11
1) Two versions of process explorer included. Nice. :thumbup
2) Caused nvidia display driver service to temporarily hang at startup.
3) May have been premature on saying v11 fixed ssl cert issue. It just may be throwing an exception before it even gets to that point.

Anyway, so today I decided to mess around a bit. First I uninstalled Office 2003 so I can get MS Update working again.
[Note to self - either install Office as the last thing I ever do or just fore-go it for Ashampoo/SoftMaker Office 2010 or 2012.
2010 works fine on a stock win2k]

MS Update offered me two patches for .NET and re-offered Rollup 1. :no:

Back to SQL. I uninstalled v11 which caused win2k to reboot before logon prompt appears. Went into safemode and installed Rollup 2.
After restart I installed v10d and went back to sql. So now we're back to the beginning of not being able to create ssl certificate.
Just for the fun of it I decided to add bits and pieces of v11 to v10d to see what happens. With each addition I'd try and reinstall sql server.

The copying of bits was done via a Linux rescue system. The following dlls were added to the system (system32 & dllcache)...

user32 - no go (meaning the same ssl cert issue)
crypt32, cryptui, wintrust - no go
rsaenh - no go
userenv - no go

Following added just for the fun of it...
cryptsXP, credui, wintruXP, xpsp#res files - no go

Given that those files from v11 didn't change anything I then reinstalled all of v11. SQL Server throws an exception.
Hmm, maybe it's the included uxtheme.dll I thought. Nope.
This could be kernel related or anything for that matter.

BTW, an almost identical exception error was found at MS when I was searching last week with a supposed fix being cumulative update 15
for sql server 2005 sp3. Thing is I can't test that because sp3 itself won't finish installing and thus CU15 can't find any instance to update.

I'm finished for this week. I'll resume testing next week on my next days off.

Marc
Windows 2000 Pro, Xubuntu 12.10, Dell OptiPlex GX260 SFF, Pentium 4 @ 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 160GB WD Drive, Nvidia GeForce FX5200, Dual Monitors
Windows 3.x Makeover

Tommy

Tommy

Brooke's Tommy honey <3

• PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

I uninstalled v11 which caused win2k to reboot before logon prompt appears.

What exactly happened here? I've had major issues completely removing v11 and going back down to either stock or v10 which usually resulted in blue screen of death just before the bootup screen was ready to disappear and hand off control to the GUI.
Daily running Windows 2000 Pro SP4 and Windows 98

Posted Image
Posted Image

AnX

AnX

• PipPip
  • 162 posts
I've gotten AHCI on my PC now. I used the Matrix Storage Driver form blackwingcat. I had tried using a modern driver, but I am greeted with a BSOD. I'd like to know if someone can make a more modern AHCI driver for the Intel 6 Series/7 series chipsets. Because this driver supports maximum 6 series, and that too, without Write Cache. But the performance is better than IDE, so I'm keeping it that way. I'd just like to know if I could use a more modern driver.

EDIT: I've tested ACPI features and they were all benefited from AHCI. Standby was quick and snappy, Hibernation actually WORKS now! And it hibernates and resumes at lightning speed, too! Now I want to test this on an SSD. :w00t:

EDIT 2: Hibernation doesn't work anymore, it looked like it was going to hibernate but returned back to the desktop for no reason. Oh well, I don't need it, and when upgrading to an SSD, you need to disable it.

Edited by AnX, 29 April 2013 - 07:17 PM.

AnX

AnX

• PipPip
  • 162 posts

@tomasz86

I don't really know what the problem with the SQL Server is.

Yeah, neither do I at this point. I'm also not a programmer so making full sense of the dump is beyond me.

First, a few points about UURollup v11
1) Two versions of process explorer included. Nice. :thumbup
2) Caused nvidia display driver service to temporarily hang at startup.
3) May have been premature on saying v11 fixed ssl cert issue. It just may be throwing an exception before it even gets to that point.

Anyway, so today I decided to mess around a bit. First I uninstalled Office 2003 so I can get MS Update working again.
[Note to self - either install Office as the last thing I ever do or just fore-go it for Ashampoo/SoftMaker Office 2010 or 2012.
2010 works fine on a stock win2k]

MS Update offered me two patches for .NET and re-offered Rollup 1. :no:

Back to SQL. I uninstalled v11 which caused win2k to reboot before logon prompt appears. Went into safemode and installed Rollup 2.
After restart I installed v10d and went back to sql. So now we're back to the beginning of not being able to create ssl certificate.
Just for the fun of it I decided to add bits and pieces of v11 to v10d to see what happens. With each addition I'd try and reinstall sql server.

The copying of bits was done via a Linux rescue system. The following dlls were added to the system (system32 & dllcache)...

user32 - no go (meaning the same ssl cert issue)
crypt32, cryptui, wintrust - no go
rsaenh - no go
userenv - no go

Following added just for the fun of it...
cryptsXP, credui, wintruXP, xpsp#res files - no go

Given that those files from v11 didn't change anything I then reinstalled all of v11. SQL Server throws an exception.
Hmm, maybe it's the included uxtheme.dll I thought. Nope.
This could be kernel related or anything for that matter.

BTW, an almost identical exception error was found at MS when I was searching last week with a supposed fix being cumulative update 15
for sql server 2005 sp3. Thing is I can't test that because sp3 itself won't finish installing and thus CU15 can't find any instance to update.

I'm finished for this week. I'll resume testing next week on my next days off.

Marc

You should try a different version of SQL server to see if it works or not.

marcdw

marcdw

• 11 posts

You should try a different version of SQL server to see if it works or not.

Yeah. I can either try SQL Server 2000 (is it free?) or just go with SQL CE (doesn't run as service nor has all the
features but then again I probably don't need much anyway).
After my first round of failures I had installed SQL CE anyway.

I doubt Server 2008 would run even with the unofficial updates (requires .NET 3.5, not sure what else).

Marc
Windows 3.x Makeover

marcdw

marcdw

• 11 posts
Latest SQL Server 2005 Test

To AnX: I don't think there's another version of MSSQL that I can try. Version 2000 isn't/wasn't available in an Express edition
as far as I know.
Okay,
Starting from scratch this time.

1) Installed Win2K, SP4, Rollup 1
2) Installed IE6 and essentials (Windows Update Agent, MSI, BITS, and roots update v010)

At this point MSUpdate worked great and I let it do all the patching and updating. Only non-MS addition was to fix
timezone/DST stuff. Everything went smoothly.
Full backup image done.

3) Installed Visual Studio C++ 2005 Express with SQL Server. No problems or errors in Event Viewer.
Though I have an archive of services packs and updates I let MS do it all so I know there's no user error.
4) Service packs, patches, updates to .NET 2, VC++, SQL (SP3 offered).
SP3 failed a few times 'til I found out my MDAC needed updating. After that the SQL update went fine.

In between all this I kept checking and SQL ran without issue. Self-signed certificate was generated and used.
I held out on updating the roots via MSUpdate until I was sure all was working. Updated roots and all was still good.
Another image made.

As a test I took the roots bits from Rollup2 and manually 'updroot'ed them as per inf files. Still all was good.

5) Installed Update Rollup 2. SQL still working with no issues, errors, or warnings.
6) Jumped straight to UURollup v11. SQL throws exception. MSUpdate stopped working. Something about
wuaueng.dll version or database mismatch. Strange since far as I can tell that dll isn't part of the updates.

7) Uninstalled v11. Went smoothly. SQL is working again.
8) Installed UURollup v10d. SQL won't start due to certificate issue...
"...server could not load the certificate it needs to initiate an SSL connection... [error 0x90090008]"
9) Fixed MSUpdate by reinstalling BITS. Was offered up the roots update again.

So, after all this I have learned what? Nada. Nichts. Still where I started.
As mentioned before as a Joe User I really have no need for an SQL server but the fight to make it work has wasted
a lot of days and nights.
Wouldn't have it any other way. :D

Marc

Edited by marcdw, 05 May 2013 - 06:19 PM.

Windows 3.x Makeover

marcdw

marcdw

• 11 posts
Two More SQL Tests

Test 1

I thought I was done with this SQL thing but I thought there was some hope.
After giving up on SQL and restoring the main image I installed UR2 and UURollup v11 w20130323.
With v11 running I get the nvidia service temporary hang but in event viewer I noticed a number of errors
regarding WMI and ASP.NET and .NET. I remembered that I had .NET 2.0 SP2 on hand so I installed
that. It fixes the WMI errors.
MSUpdate, after installing the initial .NET2, only offers updates to SP1. Anyway MSUpdate then offered
patches to SP2 along with Rollup 1 (7.7MB).
Also installed KB971111 (.NET GDIPLUS patch) which isn't offered.

There's no SQL installed so I figured I start with the RTM (no service pack). Much to my surprise it did
install with no certificate errors or exceptions. However, sqlserver runs at 99% CPU hogging everything.
This also happened some months ago on another older machine I was testing before.
Tried to use MSUpdate to go to SP3 but the cpu issue was dragging things along. I would periodically
stop the service to give the install a boost but it still was taking forever. Decided to cancel the install which
also took forever.
Installed SP3 from archive instead but once again the server throws an exception.

End test.

Test 2 - and a new daily?

With the RTM version of SQL not crashing I thought there was hope.
This time I restored the image with the working SQL.
Installed .NET2 SP2
MSUpdate offers roots update
Install Update Rollup 2 (SQL running great).
Install SQL SP4 (no probs)
MSUpdate offers roots again (seems to do that a lot)
Install UURollup v10d (SQL certificate problem)

Discovered that there was a new daily available, from April 27.
Installed UURollup v11-d20130427
On reboot I'd get to the logon screen and then error. Services.exe terminated unexpectedly. It reboots. Errors again.
Safe Mode: Uninstall new 11 daily, reboot
Install v11-d20130323 (sql exception, nvidia, MSUpdate broken).
Fix MSUpdate (offered small Rollup 1 and roots)
Safe Mode: Uninstall v11
Safe Mode: Uninstall v10d
Back to normal, SQL is running fine
Safe Mode: Reinstall new v11 daily (in case something got missed)
Boot is successful. Clear logs and reboot just to be sure.
But same as before. SQL throws exception and temporary nvidia service hang.

So there you have it. SQL is definitely, officially out.

Regarding the new UURollup daily, I haven't seen any announcements or what the changes are.
Comparing file dates the only diffs I see is with update.inf and update.ver. Everything else seems the same.

Marc

Edited by marcdw, 08 May 2013 - 04:06 AM.

Windows 3.x Makeover

Svyatpro

Svyatpro
  • 5 posts
msxml6.dll and msxml3.dll from Windows 7 cannot be registred as well, because it requires correct "API-MS-WIN-CORE-LOCALREGISTRY-L1-1-0.DLL" to add registry information. So, when you slipstream msxml3 or msxml6 from Win7 to Win2000/XP/2003 distribution - you will get not working msxml! You should remove msxmls's from Win7, and use from XP/2003/Vista ones, then.

Edited by Svyatpro, 28 May 2013 - 02:38 PM.

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,520 posts
Hey everyone :hello:

I'm sorry for being absent for some time. I've been very busy and things have been a little bit difficult for me recently so at the moment I've got very little time for Windows 2000 and MSFN. I hope to be able to fully come back in the near future.

@Tommy There're some issues with UURollup uninstallation. I worked on it already two months ago and I'm going to improve the situation later on. The problem occurs when you've installed several versions of UURollup without uninstalling the previous one, and then try to uninstall it. Simply speaking, the uninstaller unregisters several system files and doesn't register them again.

@marcdw I can't really help you the SQL problem at the moment. I'd need to install and test it myself. I'll remember about the issue and try to do something in the future.

@Svyatpro They can be registered as long as you've installed UURollup-v11.
Posted Image

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,520 posts
blackwingcat has released an updated version of his kernel so you can expect a new release of UURollup-v11 soon. I'm also working on a new merged .NET Framework installer. This time I want to make sure that it works correctly both in 2000, XP and 2003, and also that Windows Update doesn't ask for the updates which have been already integrated there.
Posted Image

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,520 posts
I've just uploaded a new daily release of UURollup-v11. As said before, the newest BWC kernel is included in it. I've also added some fonts.
Posted Image

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,520 posts
I've been updating the Download Archive at my website. I've added several XP and 2003 updates, and I'm going to remove the obsolete updates from the Windows 2000 folder and add the new ones released in the last few months.

Please let me know if you find any errors.
Posted Image

jimmsta

jimmsta

computer janitor

• PipPipPip
  • 388 posts
Great to see you're back at updating the rollup again, and keeping the site up to date with updates.
I was sad to not find a Win2k update in the latest security ISO release from Microsoft, as IE6 has been getting updates on the XP side the past couple months. It may be that Microsoft realized they were providing updates for an EOL platform, or perhaps the current run of hotfixes do not apply in any way to IE6 SP1.
Creator and Maintainer of BootZilla.org

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN