Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Unofficial SP 5.2 for Microsoft Windows 2000

• Please log in to reply
739 replies to this topic

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10

I've read a blackwingcat's post saying that there were no longer Windows 2000 updates included in the latest ISO. There was still another one released which is newer than the one listed on my website (Update List for HFSLIP). I'm going to update the whole list in the near future.

I'm also going to gradually add to the Download Archive all updates for Windows XP (basing on the Mimo's list) and for Windows 2003 Server (basing on the FDV's list).
Posted Image
Unofficial Service Pack 5.2 for MS Windows 2000 <- use this topic if you need help with UURollup, Update Rollup 2 and other unofficial packages

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

AnX

AnX

• PipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Joined 20-June 12
tomasz86, since when have you started using XP? I've started using Vista because of the issues that Win2k previously gave me.

Anyway I'm not too sure if I should venture out into UUR anymore, because reliability and stability come along with my want of Windows 2000.

And if Win2k isn't reliable or stable, there's no point.

Well, I can say that for me the rollups have been stable and reliable, my Win2k machine NEVER crashed, in fact it seems to run more STABLE with the Rollups! :)

BUT sometimes app compatibility can be an issue. It's rare, and too little to complain about.

The issue I was having back then was because of my integrated HD 2500 Graphics. I'm now on nVidia, so theoretically, Windows 2000 should run awesome.

Edited by AnX, 01 July 2013 - 08:02 AM.

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,520 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10
My main PC got broken two months ago and I had to use a different machine with XP installed. Recently I've managed to fix my main computer but after using XP for a while I realised that it was the right time to make a switch. I had already used XP on my laptop for a few years before so it wasn't anything new for me.

There are two main reasons why I decided to switch:

• The first is IE. I have to use several websites which rely on ActiveX and they no longer work in IE6 so using them in Windows 2000 was very difficult.
  • The second is proper ClearType support. The 3rd party alternatives lack proper multilanguage support. There are some fonts to which ClearType shouldn't be applied at all (and Windows doesn't do it) but those 3rd party programs apply ClearType to all fonts unless you exclude the problematic fonts one by one which is just too much work and still very far from ideal solution.
I actually find Windows 2000 more stable than XP :} but these two reasons (especially the first one) are crucial for me so I'm using Windows XP at the moment and probably continue to use for a long time.

However, it doesn't mean that the Windows 2000 related projects are over. Everything will be the same as I'm going to continue working on USP5.1. Windows 2000/XP/2003 are exactly the same when it comes to the basic structure of the OS so everything I've been doing in reality applies to all of them.
Posted Image
Unofficial Service Pack 5.2 for MS Windows 2000 <- use this topic if you need help with UURollup, Update Rollup 2 and other unofficial packages

AnX

AnX

• PipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Joined 20-June 12
For me, Windows XP was a literal nightmare. Whether it would boot to the desktop would be the question! Windows Vista SP2, however is well behaved.

But my ventures with Windows 2000 aren't over...yet. Also, you could run Windows XP in a VM for the sake of IE 8, and for me ClearType has never been an issue.

I find Windows 2000 more stable than any other OS, because even with UUR it does not crash.

BUG FOUND: In the latest daily version of UUR 11: June 2013, I'm greeted by this terrifying sight:

Attached File  bsod.jpg   48.97KB   11 downloads

It seems that the kernel32.dll file is problematic.

In the April 2013 version, everything runs great. Super stable.

Edited by AnX, 01 July 2013 - 09:46 PM.

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,520 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10

But my ventures with Windows 2000 aren't over...yet. Also, you could run Windows XP in a VM for the sake of IE 8

Trust me, I tried everything. I tried running both Windows XP and 7 in a VM in order to use IE but as soon as I tried to use some of those ActiveX plug-ins, the whole system would crash. They caused BSODs in the host system, not just inside the VM. They only seem to work on a real hardware.

BUG FOUND: In the latest daily version of UUR 11: June 2013, I'm greeted by this terrifying sight:

Attached File  bsod.jpg   48.97KB   11 downloads

It seems that the kernel32.dll file is problematic.

In the April 2013 version, everything runs great. Super stable.

Thanks for testing. Something seems to be wrong in the latest kernel32.dll I've added recently. In what situation exactly did the BSOD occur?
Posted Image

AnX

AnX

• PipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Joined 20-June 12

Trust me, I tried everything. I tried running both Windows XP and 7 in a VM in order to use IE but as soon as I tried to use some of those ActiveX plug-ins, the whole system would crash. They caused BSODs in the host system, not just inside the VM. They only seem to work on a real hardware.

:(

Which VM app were you running? VPC, VMware?

And what about dualbooting the OSes? Use Win2k for your main stuff, XP for the ActiveX controls.

Thanks for testing. Something seems to be wrong in the latest kernel32.dll I've added recently. In what situation exactly did the BSOD occur?

It happened when I was booting up the VM. Had to reinstall Windows.

It's no problem, though.

Also, here are vids of me using Windows 2000 from a few months ago..

Video 1

Video 2

Check the comments. :w00t: Yep. a lot of mixed opinions on me using Windows 2000.

Edited by AnX, 02 July 2013 - 01:48 AM.

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,520 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10
My site has been offline for about two days. Apparently they've got some problems with their servers at http://www.zymic.com where the site is hosted. I hope everything will be resolved shortly.

Which VM app were you running? VPC, VMware?

I used both VirtualBox and VMWare Player but it didn't make any difference :(

And what about dualbooting the OSes? Use Win2k for your main stuff, XP for the ActiveX controls.p

That's what I was doing... but was just too time-consuming and troublesome. Especially since I normally tend to use standby / hibernate instead of shutting down the whole system so that I don't need to close all the stuff I've been working on.

Also, here are vids of me using Windows 2000 from a few months ago..

Video 1

Video 2

Check the comments. :w00t: Yep. a lot of mixed opinions on me using Windows 2000.

People seem to have quite different opinions about using older Windows on new hardware :whistle:

Edited by tomasz86, 04 July 2013 - 09:21 AM.

Posted Image

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,520 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10
My website is online again :)

Edited by tomasz86, 05 July 2013 - 02:24 AM.

Posted Image

AnX

AnX

• PipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Joined 20-June 12
That stinks. What about Virtual PC 2007? :) There is a modified .msi available for Windows 2000 on the BetaArchive. That could work. Also try disabling hardware virtualization.
Also, I can no longer enter the archive. Adfly is blocked in my country. :(

Edited by AnX, 05 July 2013 - 03:35 AM.

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,520 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10

That stinks. What about Virtual PC 2007? :) There is a modified .msi available for Windows 2000 on the BetaArchive. That could work. Also try disabling hardware virtualization.

I haven't tried it but now it's too late :ph34r: I don't really think it would change anything though. I've never liked MS Virtual PC since it's much slower than the other VM solutions.

Also, I can no longer enter the archive. Adfly is blocked in my country. :(

Should be fixed now :blushing:

By the way, I'm going to redesign the whole website in near future.

Edited by tomasz86, 05 July 2013 - 04:35 AM.

Posted Image

AnX

AnX

• PipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Joined 20-June 12

Should be fixed now :blushing:

By the way, I'm going to redesign the whole website in near future.

This might seem hilarious, but adfly was JUST unblocked in my country! Just an hour ago! :w00t:

But still, keep the alt. Link on there in case some other countries have it blocked.

Edited by AnX, 05 July 2013 - 06:13 AM.

Hackeronte

Hackeronte

Windows 2000 Pro ©® Fashion

• Pip
  • 55 posts
  • Joined 18-July 10

I'm Back... ( Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines )

Hi to... the whole world of founders (especially Tomasz86) & contributors of this project !

I'm glad to know that this project is still alive...

Long Live to Windows 2000!!!

hackeronte

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,520 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10
@Hackeronte Nice to see you again!

The project is still alive, so don't worry :) I've been doing as much as I can to progress with the USP. You can expect some more information in the next few weeks.

I've just changed hosting for my website. The old one (http://www.zymic.com) became extremely unstable and, as you've probably noticed, the website was unavailable very often recently. I hope that the new one (http://www.4ove.com) will be better. Of course, the address http://www.windows2000.tk is the same. Just as a side note, Mim0 also uses Zymic for his site and that's why it's offline at the moment.

Edited by tomasz86, 21 July 2013 - 05:32 AM.

Posted Image

Hackeronte

Hackeronte

• Pip
  • 55 posts
  • Joined 18-July 10

Hi tomasz

Thanks for your kind & fast reply...

I wish to you the best of luck for your site & your Unofficial Service Pack 5.2 for MS Windows 2000

regards,

hackeronte

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,520 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10
Not exactly related to the USP but

Tvnsnw2.png
Posted Image

s15375

s15375
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 24-July 13

Master tomasz86, I have questions.

First, I am really thankful for your work about Windows 2000.

Tis my doubtful point.

After I installed 'Update Rollup 2', I checked Windows update site, there were still security update I have to do(Total 27 files).

What’s strange is that few updates are already in your 'UR2' Package as far as I know.

Here is the overlapped update list.

----------------------------------------------
Security Update for Windows 2000 (KB923191) ?
Security Update for Windows 2000 (KB973869) ?
Security Update for Windows 2000 (KB956844) ?
Security Update for Windows 2000 (KB973904) ?
Cumulative Security Update for ActiveX Killbits for Windows 2000 (KB980195) ? "only cat file in your UR2 log"

Should I have to update these files?

And I can still see 'UR1' in Windows update site.

Second, I can't update windows after setup 'UURollup v11 week update ver.'(Error number: 0x80248008).

Is this normal state?

3rd, How can I use 'UURollup' 7z(daily update) File?

Thanks for your read!

Edited by s15375, 24 July 2013 - 10:52 AM.

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,520 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10

First, I am really thankful for your work about Windows 2000.

It's my pleasure :)

After I installed 'Update Rollup 2', I checked Windows update site, there were still security update I have to do(Total 27 files).
Whats strange is that few updates are already in your 'UR2' Package as far as I know.
Here is the overlapped update list.
Security Update for Windows 2000 (KB923191) ?
Security Update for Windows 2000 (KB973869) ?
Security Update for Windows 2000 (KB956844) ?
Security Update for Windows 2000 (KB973904) ?
Cumulative Security Update for ActiveX Killbits for Windows 2000 (KB980195) ? "only cat file in your UR2 log"
Should I have to update these files?

And I can still see 'UR1' in Windows update site.

Second, I can't update windows after setup 'UURollup v11 week update ver.'(Error number: 0x80248008).
Is this normal state?

Simply speaking, there are some bugs in Update Rollup 2. Those updates are included in it, but for various reasons (incomplete registry entries, etc.) Windows Update wants to install them again. Update Rollup 2 is going to be replaced by the USP5 so I'm not going to spend any more time on it.

In one word, you just shouldn't use Windows Update after installing UR2 / UURollup.

3rd, How can I use 'UURollup' 7z(daily update) File?

You need to use 7-Zip to unpack the archive and then run 'update\update.exe' to start the installer. It's recommended to always have a backup copy of the system partition before using daily packages since they're experimental.
Posted Image

marcdw

marcdw

• 11 posts
  • Joined 11-April 13

Howdy Mr tomasz86,

Finally got back to the Win2k machine since May.

Anyhind, I've been trying for several days now but I just can't reach your main site. Just seems to timeout.

Regardless of machine, OS, or time of day. Is it really back up?

Thinking that maybe this machine was finalized I decided to experiment once again and install the v11 June daily. Just to see.

All went well and noticed no issues, except (and not sure if this is related) but I can no longer sync any data using GoodSync.

Whether the data comes from flash drive, nas, external drive it fails trying to copy lock files or some such (error 87).

It's mentioned in the GoodSync FAQ but I've never had issue one syncing data before.

Also back in May after the v11 March or April UURolllup GoodSync lost some of its interface. No tabs, missing buttons. If it weren't for the

tooltips and memorizing where the analyze/sync buttons are I wouldn't be able to do anything.

When I revert back a step or two today I'll be able to confirm if it was the Rollups or something else that caused this.

But this was all just for fun and curiosity. I heed your comments above and will await USP5 (and in the meantime revert my system

back to when everything worked (with the exception of the old SQL junk).

Regarding your change of focus to Windows XP I think that makes sense. WinXP, for me, is like the sweet spot as far as Win OSes

is concerned. Keeping that alive as long as possible after it goes EOL would be great.

I'm kind of backwards as I actually moved from Linux (my primary after Win 3.x ) to XP (in 2005 - I'm a late adopter). As more open source

tools and apps, POSIX/Unix environments, development tools, etc. were made available on the OS I wound up spending more time

there than on my beloved Slackware. 'Course now I have a PC farm of sorts running all kinds of stuff , including Win7, so they all get their fair amount of attention. :-)

Okay, just "jaw jacking" right now. Will still try to reach your site if I can.

Marc

Windows 2000 Pro, Xubuntu 12.10, Dell OptiPlex GX260 SFF, Pentium 4 @ 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 160GB WD Drive, Nvidia GeForce FX5200, Dual Monitors
DOS Internet & Tandy 1000
Windows 3.x Makeover

marcdw

marcdw

• 11 posts
  • Joined 11-April 13

Ach, regarding the GoodSync thing, the interface was jacked up because of uxtheme.dll. When that was gone it looked good again.

And the whole not being able to sync is definitely unrelated to UURollup. Searching the web the almost exact error messages are seen

with other programs like SyncBack and Wuala.

But all the talk seems to point to filesystem stuff, i.e. you're using FAT but should be using NTFS, etc.  My win2k partitions are definitely

not FAT (well, I'm 99.9% sure).

I wonder if restoring from images cause something strange to be reported. And I still don't know which way the error applies to - writing

to my drive or writing to a destination (USB, NAS).

But a quick test syncing to my NAS via FTP works. I just can't sync to via smb and flash. Guess I'll have to open a ticket with the

GoodSync people or figure out something ('course I won't tell 'em I'm running Win2k)  :-)

BTW, in case anyone has any pointers the full error message is:

Error locking folder: uploading lock file: The parameter is incorrect. (error 87)

Edited by marcdw, 26 July 2013 - 08:13 PM.

Windows 2000 Pro, Xubuntu 12.10, Dell OptiPlex GX260 SFF, Pentium 4 @ 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 160GB WD Drive, Nvidia GeForce FX5200, Dual Monitors
Windows 3.x Makeover

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,520 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10
I can't really say much about all of those applications since I haven't used them :( but it'd be probably better to wait for test versions of USP5.1 before doing more serious troubleshooting. At the moment there are too many packages involved to be able to easily find out what exactly is wrong.

My website is definitely online:
http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/windows2000.tk

You're the second person to say this though :} I think there might be some problem with access from certain areas. Could you try using other browsers, and also check through proxy, ex. Hide My Ass?
Posted Image

AnX

AnX

• PipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Joined 20-June 12

Regarding your change of focus to Windows XP I think that makes sense. WinXP, for me, is like the sweet spot as far as Win OSes

is concerned. Keeping that alive as long as possible after it goes EOL would be great.

I'm kind of backwards as I actually moved from Linux (my primary after Win 3.x ) to XP (in 2005 - I'm a late adopter). As more open source

tools and apps, POSIX/Unix environments, development tools, etc. were made available on the OS I wound up spending more time

there than on my beloved Slackware. 'Course now I have a PC farm of sorts running all kinds of stuff , including Win7, so they all get their fair amount of attention. :-)

I personally was never an XP guy myself. It gave me so many issues that I just gave up on it. Windows 2000, however, always remains robust and flexible. The OS runs great, and I don't have to do as much maintainence as you would have to on XP. Windows 2000 is the most stable OS I've ever used, and nothing can disprove that. But Server 2003, along with XP, should also be kept alive. I might consider 2003 as an option for when 2000 breathes its last.

grmartin

grmartin
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 30-July 13

Strangely its only been a month and it seems windows2000.tk is down :(

What i am getting is:

Heroku | No such app
There is no app configured at that hostname.
Perhaps the app owner has renamed it, or you mistyped the URL.

Edited by grmartin, 30 July 2013 - 05:11 AM.

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,520 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10
I'm changing hosting once again. At the moment it works but you need to use

www.windows2000.tk (won't work without www)
Posted Image

marcdw

marcdw

• 11 posts
  • Joined 11-April 13

I personally was never an XP guy myself. It gave me so many issues that I just gave up on it. Windows 2000, however, always remains robust and flexible. The OS runs great, and I don't have to do as much maintainence as you would have to on XP. Windows 2000 is the most stable OS I've ever used, and nothing can disprove that. But Server 2003, along with XP, should also be kept alive. I might consider 2003 as an option for when 2000 breathes its last.

I was a latecomer to Windows 2000. We had it at work but I didn't think to use it personally until the company got new machines

and I took the old ones home. So I pretty much got started just before it went EOL. Besides all the experimenting and breaking things

as a result it runs fast and lean compared to XP. Running most of the same apps though a a version or so behind, depending.

Regarding 2003 I use that, sort of, in the form of its proof-of-concept sibling Windows XP x64 Edition. It gets more use than Win7 for

sure on the same machine.

I was kind of bummed that a few software titles I had wouldn't install. Their system requirements stated that they wouldn't work on

server OSes and since XP x64 is NT 5.2 the installers probably did a version check.

Still have 'til 2015 extended support for 2003 server which I reckon applies to me, too.

Windows 3.x Makeover

Hackeronte

Hackeronte

• Pip
  • 55 posts
  • Joined 18-July 10

Hi tomasz,

your site is working fine & loading fast

cheer

hackeronte