Unofficial SP 5.2 for Microsoft Windows 2000 (WIP)

tomasz86

First, tomasz86, thank you for your work on the Windows 2000 archive, and for this thread. I also want to express my appreciation for the contributions of others here, all of which has improved my knowledge of the W2K operating system and given me a better sense of its workings. You have helped make my Windows 2000 project seem, well, slightly less impossible. Thank you again.

My goal was to set up Windows 2000 Professional on modern hardware, specifically an Intel Sandy Bridge processor and a Z-77 motherboard, and I am now running such an installation. There are no unknown devices in Device Manager (with the caveat that I am using an X600 video card rather than the integrated graphics).

The problem I’m having concerns the lack of USB function during the installation process. Because of this, I have to use a PS/2 keyboard or mouse (and I do mean keyboard or mouse, because my motherboard has only one PS/2 connector). This means I plug in the keyboard during the text part of the install, then shut down the system via the keyboard, then change the keyboard out for the PS/2 mouse, then start it back up. From there, I am able to get into Device Manager to let Windows install the USB drivers (which are apparently there on the computer the whole time in c:\winnt\inf\oem10.inf) so that I can use a USB keyboard and mouse. Then everything’s fine.

Is there a way I can have USB function from the get-go? Because sometimes the system won’t recognize the PS/2 mouse during installation, and when that happens, I’m stuck. This has limited my ability to conduct experiments with others’ W2K installation files, for example the populated HFSLIP folders you make available through Dropbox.

Today I tested a new renesas USB PCI card, with an eye toward integrating its drivers into my W2K installation disc with nLite. But first I’m trying to simply install the card in the existing Windows enviroment, to see if it even works with W2K. So far, I have not been able to make the card work.

If someone has any ideas how to at least make the generic built-in USB drivers work automatically during the initial installation, I would really appreciate your sharing those ideas with me.

This is very strange, I have nothing but USB mice/keyboards and they all work during the installation process. What type of mouse do you have? It is slightly possible maybe you have USB3.0 which might not work during setup? It's a very longshot of a guess but that's the only reason I could think that it would not work. Can you use native USB support from the BIOS? Is this a custom built computer? If so, can you link us to the motherboard or to the computer you purchased from an OEM?

I'm actually the main tester for tomasz86 so I can try assisting you as best I can with your problem.

Edited by Tommy

@bluebolt Normally USB mouse and keyboard should be detected during the installation without problems. I actually think that the problem may be caused by the "dual" PS/2 port. I already experienced problems with it on another machine where the system was unable to detect mice and keyboard properly even when using USB ports.

As in your case you're still able to get them work after the system has been installed, I wouldn't really worry too much. There's probably nothing that can be done. Of course, you may still try to play around with BIOS settings but I doubt it will help. You can automate your setup using WINNT.SIF but even without it it's still possible to install the system using only a keyboard.

And for testing purposes I strongly recommend using a virtual machine ;)

Thanks for the reply, Tommy.

“It is slightly possible maybe you have USB3.0 which might not work during setup?”

Yes, I think this is what’s happening, but of course Windows 2000 doesn’t work with USB 3.0, or so I’ve heard. Still the system sticks with these (non-functional) USB drivers before I direct it back to the generic drivers in c:\winnt\inf\oem10.inf. Until then, there is no USB function regardless of the brand of mouse, keyboard, USB Flash Drive, external harddrive etc., and there are yellow exclamation marks by the USB Controllers in Device Manager, even though they are correctly recognized there as of the “Intel 7 Series/C216” Chipset Family.

“Can you use native USB support from the BIOS?”

Yes, my USB mouse does work in the BIOS environment. I can say that legacy USB support is enabled in the BIOS, but I now notice that USB3.0 support is also enabled in the BIOS. I also see other adjacent settings that may be relevant: XHCI Hand-off (which is Enabled), EHCI Hand-off (which is Disabled), and also a “Port 60/64 Emulation” setting (which is Enabled). Perhaps before my next test installation, I should set the USB3.0 support to “Disabled,” to try to convince the system to drop down to those generic USB drivers. I will also look into the terms “XHCI” and “EHCI” as I’m not familiar with them, and they’re obviously relevant to this area.

Right off the bat you’ve given me a good place to start, because, to me, those settings all sound potentially related to my problem. I appreciate these good ideas, Tommy, actually very good ideas for how little information you had to work with…

This is a computer I built from scratch, using an Intel Z77 motherboard (the Biostar TZ77MXE) and an Intel i7-2700K Sandy Bridge processor. I chose the Biostar in part because it was the only Z77 board with any Windows 2000 drivers (audio and LAN), so that at least I would have a running start on this thing. I’ve been unable to make the Intel HD 3000 integrated graphics work yet, so for now I’ve installed an X600 video card (for which W2K drivers are available). This left the chipset drivers. The Biostar chipset driver does not claim to work with Windows 2000, and it did not work with Windows 2000 for me. Then I found the Intel Chipset Device Software (INF Update Utility) dated 11/06/2012 on the Intel website download center, and purporting to work with Windows 2000. Once installed, Device Manager correctly listed “Intel 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family” under IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers, and from there I was able to de-list the remaining unknown devices, so that Device Manager indicates no problem devices now.

So the build, as such, is fine, but the installation procedure is hampered by this USB problem, and I appreciate your considering it.

I have just read your post, tomasz86; thank you as well for your advice. The perfection of the installation process is really one of my goals, unrealistic as it may seem, so I need to continue along those lines, and your suggestions are most welcome here.

Yes, I think this is what’s happening, but of course Windows 2000 doesn’t work with USB 3.0, or so I’ve heard. Still the system sticks with these (non-functional) USB drivers before I direct it back to the generic drivers in c:\winnt\inf\oem10.inf. Until then, there is no USB function regardless of the brand of mouse, keyboard, USB Flash Drive, external harddrive etc., and there are yellow exclamation marks by the USB Controllers in Device Manager, even though they are correctly recognized there as of the “Intel 7 Series/C216” Chipset Family.

Did you integrate any of the drivers into your system source before the installation? If not then could you describe one more time what exactly happens after you first install the system (with no drivers integrated)? Is the USB (2.0) Root Hub driver and others detected properly?

I have just read your post, tomasz86; thank you as well for your advice. The perfection of the installation process is really one of my goals, unrealistic as it may seem, so I need to continue along those lines, and your suggestions are most welcome here.

You can make the installation 100% automatic by setting values in WINNT.SIF. It's relatively easy but, again, for testing purposes I strongly recommend using a virtual machine since you can test installations inside your working system which is much faster and less troublesome than doing in a real hardware. I use Innotek Virtual Box 1.5.6 for basic testing since it supports Windows 2000 as a host and is very fast and light.

Edited by tomasz86

My pleasure :)

I've been working with Windows 2000 for about 10 years now so I've gained quite a bit of knowledge about the operating system. As Tomasz pointed out, I would try slipstreaming your USB drivers on your installation disk if they aren't already done so. As for your BIOS, it would detect your mouse as it's configured to do so but sadly, Windows 2000 doesn't detect USB3.0 by default. I think blackwingcat figured it out or is in the very beta stages of doing so. You might want to take a look at his site and see for yourself, http://blog.livedoor.jp/blackwingcat (Most of it is in Japanese but Google Translate does a decent job of letting you get the gist of what he's saying).

This site might also help you as far as his newer drivers: http://w2k.flxsrv.org/wlu/wlu.htm

Good luck!!

to tomasz86:

I begin by installing Windows 2000 from an installation CD I made in 2010 using hfslip and nLite (no drivers integrated there); this source includes IE6, WMP9, DirectX 9 and all official service packs and updates.

Once that installation is complete, Device Manager shows a yellow question mark over “Other Devices” and, beneath that (among other problems), a listing that says “Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller” and has a yellow question mark with an exclamation point.

Further down is a line that reads, “Universal Serial Bus Controllers,” under which are four listings, two of which each say “Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller” (and have no marks), and two of which say “USB 2.0 Root Hub” (both of these have yellow exclamation marks).

to Tommy:

Next I opened up my C-drive to look for the generic USB drivers I had assumed were “there on the computer the whole time in c:\winnt\inf\oem10.inf,” as I speculated in post #406. However, they are not there; I take this as good news, because it makes me think that I may be able finish out the installation as before, then go back and find c:\winnt\inf\oem10.inf, then copy it for later to integrate it into the installation disc with nLite, as you suggest.

Looks like the March 2013 security updates iso includes an updated KB2809289 for Windows 2000 and IE6SP1. Here's just the folder from the DVD, to save everyone from having to get the whole 3GB file... https://www.box.com/...j7b369i3xoskqgg

It appears that this update replaces the previously released KB2792100 - the new patch appears to have all the fixes from the previous hotfix in addition to an updated mshtml.dll, and new timestamps on all the rest of the files. I'm going to try integrating this with a standard hfslip build without the previous hotfix.

Edited by jimmsta

I've just uploaded two new daily versions - one of UURollup-v11 and one of UURollup-v10e. I removed a file called "normaliz.dll" from both of them. It was the culprit which prevented new versions of Skype (>5.9) from sending text messages.

@bluebolt That's strange... It seems as if the system wasn't able to apply the default drivers correctly. First of all, I'd suggest to try installing a completely clean system (just SP4) and see if the problem occurs then in order to be sure that nothing is wrong in the current source (which has all of the other updates integrated).

@jimmsta Thanks for the info :) I'll add it to the Updates List later this month.

I started with a Windows 2000 SP4 disc I’d made using my Windows 2000 SP3 original CD and nLite to integrate SP4 (no other changes). During installation a red-x warning window popped up:

Windows – Unable to Load Device Driver

\SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\usbhub20sys device driver could not be loaded. Error Status was 0xc0000034

I think the installation may have proceeded for a bit underneath that warning window, because it moved on from “Installing Devices…” to “Regional Settings…” I’m letting it run for the moment, but I think it may be stalled there.

Correction: Not “stalled,” because I used the return key and blindly entered a user name (the red-x screen is still superimposed, so I can’t really see much) to advance as far as the Product Key step. It will not let me enter the product key.

If I may, connecting/disconnecting/re-connecting PS/2 devices with the PC on is NOT a good idea. (Really, NOT a good idea :ph34r: , though most devices have "auto-fuses" the PS/2 is NOT designed for hotplug)

I would suggest the use of a Y cable (example):

http://www.partsdata.eu/Y_cable_PS2_keyboard_und_mouse_e.g._for_IBM_notebook_K-226.html

Or (it's a bit of time I dont' do a "plain" 2K install, so this may not be fully accurate) learn to use the keyboard, it should be possible to do everything with keyboard and hot keys (and no mouse).

jaclaz

I took the same W2KSP4 install CD that produced the result in post #415 above, copied its files to a new folder, opened nLite and loaded the contents of that folder as the Source. I red-buttoned all the nLite options, except “Drivers” and “Bootable CD,” clicking those two to green. Then I loaded eight .inf files I had copied from my previous up-and-running installation at the “Drivers” step in nLite (per the bottom of post #412, hoping to achieve USB function during the installation process). I let nLite make an ISO, which I then burned to CD with Nero as usual.

The files were oem2.inf, oem3.inf, oem4.inf, oem5.inf, oem6.inf, optional.inf, usb.inf and usbstor.inf (I had grabbed anything that looked like it might provide USB function).

This time, with this new install CD, the Windows installation completed. Unfortunately, there was still no USB function, but at least there was an affect (no usb error code during installation). I wonder if there is a broader package of generic USB drivers available that might be effectively integrated with nLite.

It seems that Windows 2000 is unable to properly apply its default USB drivers for your motherboard. It's strange and I myself haven't ever experienced such an issue. I'm not really sure if I can help in this particular problem without having direct access to the hardware and testing it myself :} It may be necessary to modify the default drivers' INF files.

By the way, Dropbox 2.0 was released two days ago and it offers a new tray menu. It's disabled in Windows 2000 by default but you can make it appear by launching "dropbox.exe" through the Application Compatibility Launcher (which means that it will run in Windows XP compatibility mode). I actually think that the old menu is better so I don't do it myself :P

Edited by tomasz86