Unofficial SP 5.2 for Microsoft Windows 2000 (WIP)

tomasz86

There's a very serious issue in all versions of UURollup (including v10 and older). The problem is that %windir%\system32\hal.dll isn't updated at all. The installer doesn't replace it and I don't know why (yet). The same problem exists in blackwingcat's kernel core package. The HAL related files from "%windir%\driver cache\i386" get updated but the one located in "%windir%\system32" does not. On the other hand, the official M$ hotfix KB835730 does replace it correctly.

I've got some possible reasons for this situation in mind but I need to test them and find one which one is true.

I know why it doesn't work... It's a technical issue so this information will be useful only for people who know how the M$ hotfix installer operates. The HAL files must be listed in update.ver in order to replace HAL.DLL from %windir%\system32.

This issue does not affect slipstreaming, only manual installation.

This is why BWC said to reinstall the ACPI Multiprocessor PC driver in the first place. To install the new hal.dll! This is required in order for the HD Graphics to work. :w00t:

And both in the Driver Cache and in system32, my hal.dll is 5.0.2195.7011 (the new one) because I reinstalled the driver.

Plus one more thing, is it possible for me to shift from March 19th daily to the latest weekly?

Edited by AnX

This is why BWC said to reinstall the ACPI Multiprocessor PC driver in the first place. To install the new hal.dll! This is required in order for the HD Graphics to work. :w00t:

Right but it still shouldn't be like that ;) The file is indeed replaced automatically when using official updates and it will be the same in UURollup. I'll probably need some time to test everything because I need to play around with update.ver and compare the results.

Plus one more thing, is it possible for me to shift from March 19th daily to the latest weekly?

Normally it's not recommended but in this case the two are very similar so there won't be any problems with installing the weekly release over the daily one from 20130319.

By the way, due to lack of time from now on I want to concentrate 100% on fixing / updating UURollup and preparing USP5.2. I may not be able to check other forum topics related to Windows 2000 so if you've got questions about the unofficial packages or need support, please use this topic. I've changed my signature accordingly.

About the SFC thing, it is possible to disable it via registry hack. In the Windows NT>CurrentVersion>Winlogon, there is a string called SFCDisable. You input "ffffff9d" into the string, and it's disabled. No need for a potential false positive.

I don't think SFCDisable disable works any more. There's a way to disable it through the registry but it's too easy to change back. The problem is that many of the so called "registry clean-up" tools will see it as an error and try to "fix" it, i.e. enable SFC again. Patching the file directly is a kind of permanent way to do it.

BUT

How about using the registry to disable SFC (using the FDV's method) and then setting registry permissions for those keys to "read only"? I think it's worth testing :)

Another thing to concern is that SFC should be disabled also during Windows installation and it's not possible currently if you only use the registry. It would be possible in case of a Service Pack where you can modify the HIVE*.INF files directly but in cased of an update rollup it's impossible.

Edited by tomasz86

Do you know any possible way to enable SpeedStep (I don't need this since I want full performance at all times) but just out of curiosity, since there are no drivers for speedstep.

Maybe this? There are probably better ways to adjust CPU speed by 3rd party applications though. I use K10stat for my AMD CPU. I actually even undervolted it a little bit. It's good to save some energy since you don't really need full CPU performance when doing some light activities such as browsing the web, etc. (unless you're viewing a Flashy website on a Pentium III :lol:).

Edited by tomasz86

I can't find apps for my Intel machine. Sometimes I wish I ordered an AMD. :(

The driver doesn't work. like I said, it is for laptops only.

Edited by AnX

I'm not sure if this is a bug in UURollup or not, but it seems that everytime you restart the computer, you no longer have a default printer. All your printers are still listed, but none of them are set as default and therefor cause a lot of problems when going to print something.

I'm not sure if this is a bug in UURollup or not, but it seems that everytime you restart the computer, you no longer have a default printer. All your printers are still listed, but none of them are set as default and therefor cause a lot of problems when going to print something.

Could anyone else confirm? I've got two printers installed and haven't experienced any problems with choosing the default one.

Could anyone else confirm? I've got two printers installed and haven't experienced any problems with choosing the default one.

No problems here...

But I'd appreciate a Speedstep-like utility... I've done lots of searching on Google and found absolutely nothing. The closest match was RightMark CPU, but that doesn't do anything...

I also deleted sfc.dll since avast was always complaining... It's not needed, right?

Edited by AnX

That's very strange. And it's something I haven't brought up simply because I thought it was only a glitch but after three different reinstalls, even on different computers, this happens. Would it make a difference if they are TCP/IP printers? I have no printers physically connected to my computer but rather both are networked through my router. This however, never happened before until I started using the later UURollup versions.

But I'd appreciate a Speedstep-like utility... I've done lots of searching on Google and found absolutely nothing. The closest match was RightMark CPU, but that doesn't do anything...

I think that it would be good to start a new topic in the Hardware section and ask for such an utility for new Intel processors. Maybe someone will come up with something :)

I also deleted sfc.dll since avast was always complaining... It's not needed, right?

I wouldn't delete it myself... I don't really know how the system will work without SFC.DLL. I'm going to experiment with the registry later without modifying the DLL itself.

Would it make a difference if they are TCP/IP printers? I have no printers physically connected to my computer but rather both are networked through my router. This however, never happened before until I started using the later UURollup versions.

First of all, I'd suggest replacing WTSAPI32.DLL and WINSTA.DLL in "%WINDIR%\SYSTEM32" with their original Windows 2000 versions to check whether they are the culprit. The XP files were added some time ago to fix the TeamViewer related issue.

@HumansCantBeTrusted Unfortunately not :no: USP5.2 is going to be like that, i.e. a one big package with everything included. I'd call USP5.1+UR2+UURollup the most basic set but if you want to have FULLY updated system then there are still many more packages to install. If you check the HFSLIP_ia.7z archive you will have an idea what packages are required to have a fully updated system.

@HumansCantBeTrusted Unfortunately not :no: USP5.2 is going to be like that, i.e. a one big package with everything included. I'd call USP5.1+UR2+UURollup the most basic set but if you want to have FULLY updated system then there are still many more packages to install. If you check the HFSLIP_ia.7z archive you will have an idea what packages are required to have a fully updated system.

Thanks for your reply. I done some research so if I understand correctly all updates are included in your HFSLIP package?