Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Unofficial SP 5.2 for Microsoft Windows 2000

• Please log in to reply
739 replies to this topic

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10
New weekly (w120805) version of UURollup-v11 is ready.

Everything from the latest daily is included in it except the new comctl32.dll which means that the 32-bit icon support is still there.

Edited by tomasz86, 05 August 2012 - 10:12 AM.

Posted Image
Unofficial Service Pack 5.2 for MS Windows 2000 <- use this topic if you need help with UURollup, Update Rollup 2 and other unofficial packages

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,520 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10
A new daily (d120807) version of UURollup-v11 is ready:

- added updated MS VC++ 2010 libraries from KB2723430
- added the following files from the newest BWC kernel:
ole32.dll 5.0.2195.7104
user32.dll 5.0.2195.7144

Posted Image
Unofficial Service Pack 5.2 for MS Windows 2000 <- use this topic if you need help with UURollup, Update Rollup 2 and other unofficial packages

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,520 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10
A new daily version of UURollup-v11 is ready:

- fixed checksum of mfc100u.dll (wrong checksum made slipstreaming impossible)

I've also uploaded some of the older stable versions of UURollup just in case someone wants to check them. By the way, I want to thank all people (you know who you are) very much for testing and reporting bugs :thumbup

Edited by tomasz86, 10 August 2012 - 05:52 AM.

Posted Image

Hackeronte

Hackeronte

Windows 2000 Pro ©® Fashion

• Pip
  • 55 posts
  • Joined 18-July 10
@Tomasz86

Hi, Tomasz... i´m back!

and ready to continue with Unofficial SP X.X for Microsoft Windows 2000 ITA version project!

On number #105 you've listed among other files:

xpsp3res.dll as contained in KB906569. Sorry, but...not found

reg.exe as contained in Win2K3 support.cab. Sorry, but...not found

xpsp4res.dll as contained in one of the updates you've downloaded. Sorry, but...not found

Could you be more specific on where i can find 'em ? Thanks (a link would be fine)

all the other files ...

halaacpi.dll
halacpi.dll
halapic.dll
halborg.dll
halmacpi.dll
halmacpi.dll
halmps.dll
halsp.dll
dbgeng.dll
mswrd632.wpc
write32.wpc
wrap_oal.dll
openal32.dll

msconv97.dll
mswrd8.wpc
html32.cnv
mswrd6.wpc
mswrd832.cnv
write.wpc

msconfig.exe

normaliz.dll

wordpad.exe

wscript.hlp

are O.K. and copied in FILES folder

Regards, (hackeronte)

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,520 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10
@Hackeronte
It's good to see you alive :) I'll try to check where to find the two files. I need to sort some other things out first so it may take some time though. As you've probably seen, UURollup-v11 is in the works so we'll probably have to think about how to synchronise your work with it too.

I've uploaded a new weekly version of UURollup-v11. It's exactly the same as the last daily which means that the 32-bit icon support has been finally removed. You can find it in my SkyDrive.

I'd also like to tell you about one change in the USP5.2 roadmap. There will be no Silverlight in USP5.2. From my experience Silverlight is used only on a tiny number of websites which seem to be somehow affiliated with M$ and mostly provide content protected with DRM. The problem is that the last version of Silverlight supporting DRM under Windows 2000 was Silverlight 3 and, while you can still find it in the Internet and install, the majority of the DRM protected content won't work anyway because it requires Silverlight 4 or newer. The conclusion is that Silverlight at the moment is not fully usable in Windows 2000 and it's market share is extremely low so I don't think that including it in USP5.2 is really necessary.

I hope everyone is fine with this decision. If not please share your opinion on this matter.

Edited by tomasz86, 12 August 2012 - 09:34 AM.

Posted Image

Hackeronte

Hackeronte

• Pip
  • 55 posts
  • Joined 18-July 10
@Tomasz86

Thanks Tomasz,

No problem about time neither about how to synchronise your [OUR] work

I'm perfectly agree with you about Silverlight .... i consider it completely useless in this context (w2k)!

i' ve downloaded Windows2000-UURollup-v11d120810-x86-ENU and i've extracted it just to familiarize with all the new stuff :yes: !

Great work, Tomasz :thumbup !

Keeping W2K alive is a valuable challenge !

regards

hackeronte

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,520 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10
A big update today :angel

1) I've updated the http://www.windows2000.tk site. The layout should be clearer, fonts have been standardised and less important information is hidden by default so it should be better to navigate now. I've updated several programs and added a few new sites to the Useful links section. Check News for details.

2) Update Rollup 2 Server Extension has been updated to v2 and is now available in 24 languages (the JPN version for both x86 and nec98).

@Hackeronte
Thanks for you support! I'd recommend checking the weekly versions instead of the daily ones. They are much better tested and updated only once a week so it should be easier for you to follow changes (in one word, weekly = RC).
Posted Image

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,520 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10
I've just uploaded a new daily version of UURollup.

This is what has changed:

- updated files:
advapi32.dll 5.0.2195.7052
ole32.dll 5.0.2195.7105
oleaut32.dll 2.40.4532.2
rpcrt4.dll 5.0.2195.7287
shell32.dll 5.0.3900.7175
user32.dll 5.0.2195.7146
WB advapi32.dll has been replaced with BWC advapi32.dll.

SkyDrive's interface has changed and is much better than before. You can finally easily see the whole filename when browsing files (you need to switch to the list view). The fonts look bad with ClearType off but that's another story :sneaky:

Edit: I think it wasn't required before but it seems that now you need to have a Microsoft account to be able to download files from SkyDrive :angry: I need some time to think about how to solve this problem but at the moment I'm very sorry but you do need to create an account there to download test versions of UURollup.

Edited by tomasz86, 15 August 2012 - 04:36 AM.

Posted Image

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,520 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10
For more information about the SkyDrive problem please read last posts in the RyanVM topic. In short, SkyDrive doesn't allow downloading large files without having a Microsoft account. I can't really do anything about it and there doesn't seem to exist any good alternative to SkyDrive at the moment. I hope you won't mind having to create an account there :}

This affects only downloading of test versions because stable versions can be still downloaded normally (and you can choose one of three sources).

At the moment I've updated the folders:

- daily versions will be available only in 7z format (no SFXCAB archive included to save space)
- weekly versions will be available only in SFXCAB format (in order to test slipstreaming)
- stable versions will be available only in SFXCAB format
- older versions will be available only in 7z format (to save space)

I've found out that when you pack an SFXCAB archive to 7z you won't gain anything but if you unpack the archive and then pack the folders directly into 7z the difference is huge, ex. in case of UURollup (ENU) it's:

- SFXCAB = 48 MB
- 7z = 34 MB

Edited by tomasz86, 15 August 2012 - 01:42 PM.

Posted Image

bluenote

bluenote
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 15-August 12
Hi there,

I'm new to those Windows 2000 unofficial updates and need a bit of help.
I'm running Windows 2000 Professionnal with most (if not all) official updates, except maybe some packages which didn't involve security issues.
I made a full backup of my partitions so can afford a serious crash.

My question is the following: I installed UURollup successfully without having installed Unofficial SP 5.1 before.
I then realized that I should have installed the USP5.1 before installing UURollup.
Does a successfull UURollup installation means that I did not have to install USP5.1 before ?
Or could have I have missed a minor update which doesn't prevent the machine to work fine, but may cause some errors or crashes in the future ?

Having installed most (if not all) Windows 2000 official updates, should I consider that my machine contains the equivalent of the USP5.1 ?
Or should I roll back to my backup, install USP5.1 over Windows 2000 and then run UURollup ?

How compatible is all that with my french Windows 2000 ?

Thanks,

David
PS: I'm a former software developper by degree and can tweak if required, althgough I haven't written a C/C++ line for a decade.

Edited by bluenote, 16 August 2012 - 11:17 AM.

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,520 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10
I'm sorry for a late answer. I've been busy with downloading the remaining Windows 2000 updates from M$ servers as long as they are still there :(

@bluenote

Thanks for your interest. As you're using a French version of Win2k normally you're not allowed to install other language versions in your system. Of course it's possible to forcibly install them but doing so will make parts of your system change into the other language, ex. if you decide to install USP5.1 in your system then most of it will probably be in English after doing so. In order to install USP5.1 (and all other English unofficial updates) you need to:

1) Unpack it.
2) Go to i386\update.
3) Open update.inf.
4) Change
LanguageType = %LangTypeValue%
to
LanguageType = 0x00
5) Run update.exe and install the package.

You're saying that you installed UURollup without installing UR1 before. As you've already mentioned in the PM it's the Global version which you installed which, being much less intrusive then the English one, will probably work without it too. Still, having UR1 and UR2 is recommended. On the other hand, you're saying that you've got almost all M$ official updates from Windows Update installed which in most cases would mean that UR1 is among them.

Anyway, the most important question is whether you want to translate UURollup (ENU) into French or just want to use the English packages in your French system.

Edited by tomasz86, 17 August 2012 - 08:40 PM.

Posted Image

bluenote

bluenote
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 15-August 12
Thanks for your details. Of course I'd like to translate it into french, but I have no idea how long this will take and what environment I will require.
Do you work on source files, or is there a mean to change the resources compiled into the DLLs and other files ?

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,520 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10
In the past I just used PE Explorer to manually translate all strings. I don't know of any better method but if someone does then I'll be very thankful if you could share it. Translating the strings manually is very easy, just quite time-consuming :ph34r:

Edit: By the way, there won't be any new weekly version of UURollup today. Only minor changes were done during the week and I also haven't had enough time to prepare and test it. I've been working on a new daily daily though, this time trying to incorporate several new files from BWC kernel.

Edited by tomasz86, 19 August 2012 - 12:50 PM.

Posted Image

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,520 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10
Good news :thumbup

I've finally managed to find out what was causing the crash when BWC ntdll.dll was added to UURollup. "Srvsvc.dll" from WB's KB2508429 was the culprit. Now it should be possible to really switch to BWC kernel (kernel32.dll/ntdll.dll and other kernel .exe files).
Posted Image

Hackeronte

Hackeronte

• Pip
  • 55 posts
  • Joined 18-July 10
@Tomasz86

Hi,
I'm GLAD :thumbup to know that You " 've finally managed to find out what was causing the crash when BWC ntdll.dll was added to UURollup "

I'm a secret fan B) of BWC and his KernelEx (He even kindly & generously compiled a ITA flavour of his wonderful piece of code!)

Good Job, Tomasz !

Regards, hackeronte

P.S.
Waiting for further instructions for italian project ;)

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,520 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10
Thanks for all your support :)

If it's not a problem I'd like to ask you to wait for a while until the transition to BWC kernel is finished. Then we can go on with the translation process and I hope that we will be able to finish it in the near future.
Posted Image

Hackeronte

Hackeronte

• Pip
  • 55 posts
  • Joined 18-July 10
Hi, Tomasz

Roger that ! :D

No problems at all !

Regards and... Good Job!

(Hackeronte De Bugger)

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,520 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10
BlackWingCat has managed to run .NET Framework 4.0's msbuild.exe:

http://oldcigaret.in...21&p=3186#p3186

It means that after the transition to BWC kernel in UURollup is done I'm going to focus on the .NET Framework packages once again. This time I'm going to keep them separated because it's easier to test and track bugs in them then. They will be merged automatically to reduce the size before adding them to USP 5.2 but I'm still going to maintain separate packages.
Posted Image

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,520 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10
A big update today:

• UURollup-v10c (ENU) is ready. It's almost exactly the same as the last weekly version of UURollup-v11. I've only fixed some minor bugs in the installer. The reason why it's called v10c and not v11 is simply because the changes are not that important and also I want UURollup-v11 to be the first one where BWC kernel is used instead of the currently used WB kernel.

This is what has changed:
    - many files have been updated
    - several bugs have been fixed
    - 32-bit icon support has been dropped.

Actually I know that I should provide a detailed changelog but I haven't thought about it earlier and no changelog exists for the previous versions of UURollup. It's too late to suddenly start at new one at the moment.
  • I've temporarily removed the complete method from my website.

The problem with it was that:
    - many people were confused about how to use it
    - the script couldn't download several files anymore because they were removed from M$ servers a few days ago.

I'm going to replace it with a HFSLIP-2-Go package later (check Mim0's topic in the HFSLIP subforum for details).
  • I've managed to download almost all Windows 2000 updates / hotfixes / HBRs* from M$ servers (almost 8000 files, 6.5 GB). They are available to download from my second SkyDrive account. I'm going to create a separate topic about it but I'm waiting until I've downloaded absolutely all of the required files. One important point here is that Update Rollup 1 which is no longer available to download from M$ is present in the SkyDrive archive :) There is just one drawback of SkyDrive which is that you have to be logged in in order to download files larger than ~30 MB. Fortunately it's very easy to create an account there so I hope it won't be an obstacle for anyone interested in getting the files.

*acus greatly helped me download the hotfixes.

Edited by tomasz86, 26 August 2012 - 01:52 PM.

Posted Image

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,520 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10
Just a quick update today. No one has complained on the new version of UURollup so far. I hope that everything works fine. Actually, this is the first version which was released after the new "release plan" had been introduced. Before that it wasn't tested that thoroughly but thanks to the daily & weekly versions it's much easier to test everything because changes are made one by one / step by step so all bugs can be traced very quickly.

Anyway, I've almost finished downloading all of the official updates but they exceed the 7 GB limit of SkyDrive by ~200 MB :ph34r: so I'm thinking about dividing them into two separate SkyDrive accounts. If I do it then I'll be able to upload SP4 there too. SP4 is available in 25 different language versions and takes 3 GB alone :w00t: As I said before, I'm going to create a separate topic about this.

After that I'm going to continue with the kernel transition of UURollup. A new daily version of it should be ready shortly.
Posted Image

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,520 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10
After thinking more about it I'm considering switching from SkyDrive to Google Drive and actually paying 2.49$ a month for 25 GB of storage. It's not very expensive and has one big advantage - Google Drive application works in Windows 2000 :thumbup This way it would be possible to store everything in one place.

Edit: Another advantage of Google Drive is that you don't need to have an account in order to download large files (as it's the case with SkyDrive).

Edited by tomasz86, 30 August 2012 - 11:46 PM.

Posted Image

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,520 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10
A new daily version of UURollup-v11 is ready. This is the first version where BWC kernel is used.

• Almost all files from BWC kernel are now used in UURollup (ENU). I've still left the three files (dbgeng.dll, dbghelp.dll and imagehlp.dll) from Windows XP "Whistler" 5.1.2430.1 because I'm not sure about the compatibility of the new versions which BlackWingCat's recently added to his kernel.
  • All catalog files and registry entries related to the official updates superseded by UURollup (ENU) have been removed. They are useless because Windows Update mustn't be used with unofficial updates anyway and SFC doesn't work for the modified files too. Actually I'm going to disable SFC completely in the near future because it can only cause unpredicted problems, ex. restore some of the original system files and therefore break the system completely in the worst scenario.
  • All files coming from the Kel's Runtimes addon have been removed. They are going to be included in USP5.2 separately.
  • All other files have been updated to the newest version available (mainly the ones by BlackWingCat and also several MS VC++ related files).
  • Thanks to the changes mentioned above the size of UURollup (ENU) has decreased by a few MBs and also less bloat is added to the registry.
That's it for now. I haven't tested slipstreaming yet, only manual installation. I'd be very glad if someone tested this new version. Remember that it's still very experimental!!! so do not ever try to install it in your real system!!! I recommend testing it in a VM.

At the moment you can still find the test versions in the SkyDrive archive.

Edit: I'd be especially interested in what happens when you install the new version over UURollup-v10c (without uninstalling the latter).

Edited by tomasz86, 04 September 2012 - 08:53 AM.

Posted Image

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,520 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10
After testing I can confirm that installing the new daily version over UURollup-v10c does not work. The system will not boot after doing so. I've tracked down the culprit and managed to fix it. The fix will be included in the next daily.

Now the problem is that even though everything seems to work OK in a VM, when I try to install this new version in my real system then it doesn't boot too. It just restarts itself as soon as the blue background is shown before even any messages pop up. I don't know what the reason is but I'm going to try it on a clean installation because the one I'm using now has been modified in very different ways so it's kind of messy and "worn out".

Edited by tomasz86, 03 September 2012 - 12:04 AM.

Posted Image

desertofunknown

desertofunknown

• 25 posts
  • Joined 30-May 12
I tried the install with your latest daily Windows2000-UURollup-v11d120903-x86-ENU over an install of your stable release v10c ENU and it worked almost perfectly expect when booting up it gives a s***down error message giving you 1 minute to finish your work because "services.exe" unexpectedly crashed and it will restart a program called sc.exe ran afterwards and poped up as a command prompt window which i closed as it stay upon for half the time and then it booted to the desktop before it rebooted and you were able to interact with the desktop and star menus before the reboot this was on an actual hardrive pc install not a VM

Edit:typo

Edited by desertofunknown, 03 September 2012 - 03:45 PM.

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,520 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10
Thank you for testing the daily version on a real hardware :) That's the error I was talking about. It's caused by WildBill's srvsvc.dll which I mentioned in #139. The file is installed by UURollup-v10c and then it's still present when you install the new version with BWC kernel. I've fixed this by adding an older (official) version of srvsvc.dll which overwrites the WildBill's file.

I've just uploaded a new daily version.

Changes:

• Added
    srvsvc.dll 5.0.2195.6930
    It will overwrite all other versions.
  • Added
    mshtmled.dll 6.0.2900.6254
    for IE6 SP3. This is an experimental change. The file itself comes from the newest IE Cumulative Update for XP. It's installed only when IE6 is present in the system (it's not installed in an IE5 based system).
  • This version can be installed over BWC kernel and it should be also possible to install it over any older version of UURollup.

Edited by tomasz86, 04 September 2012 - 09:01 AM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN